Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tus Programme

Options
  • 08-02-2012 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else on this,I got a letter in the post during the week offering me an opportunity to apply for a position,it involves 19.5 hours a week for a period of 12 months

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's a community employment scheme, with another name.

Apply, it won't do any harm.

But even if you get it, remember that:

1) you still need to be looing for a real job that pays real money, and
    2) the 12 month bit just means that you can only stay on it for up to 12 months: you are under no obligation to stay the full length (even though some community organisations that use it to deliver services might want you to believe otherwise).

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Stripey Cat

Depends what the scheme is too- if you are eligible for this, you should be eligible for other ones, and there might be a better scheme that would provide more training, opportunities for networking etc

Shop around before you commit.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

JustMary wrote: »
    It's a community employment scheme, with another name.

Apply, it won't do any harm.

But even if you get it, remember that:

1) you still need to be looing for a real job that pays real money, and
    2) the 12 month bit just means that you can only stay on it for up to 12 months: you are under no obligation to stay the full length (even though some community organisations that use it to deliver services might want you to believe otherwise).

Does that mean you can walk away from it after 1 month, and re apply for ja. I,d find that hard to believe.

kadman

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Depends what the scheme is too- if you are eligible for this, you should be eligible for other ones, and there might be a better scheme that would provide more training, opportunities for networking etc

Shop around before you commit.

I was told by TUS, that all training grants ect for participants, in all schemes , has been severely curtailed.

kadman

kadman wrote: »
    Does that mean you can walk away from it after 1 month, and re apply for ja. I,d find that hard to believe.

kadman

No more than you can walk away from any job after one month and re-apply for JA.

But you can leave as soon as you get a real paying job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

My understanding..

You have been given an "opportunity to apply"..
    • If you don't turn up to the interview you will loose any SW payment you are on.. If you turn up and try to fudge the interview you will be reported back to SW and may loose your payment..
    • If you turn down a placement for what is deemed not a good reason then again you may loose your payment..
    • If you leave for a reason other than getting a job you may loose your payment..

• Registered Users Posts: 6 CatsmcGee

My boyfriend got this letter too. He wants to return to college this september so replied saying he wouldn't be able to take a place as he wont be free for 12 months and was going to apply for back to education allowance. They now want him to come in to discuss this.
    It sounds like its a form of forced labour - people don't have any choice. Do this or lose your payment. People are looking for jobs, they're just really hard to find!
    I'd really like to know what kind of work they're planning on making people do.
    He has his meeting thusday, we'll have to wait and see what they say I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

CatsmcGee wrote: »
    My boyfriend got this letter too. He wants to return to college this september so replied saying he wouldn't be able to take a place as he wont be free for 12 months and was going to apply for back to education allowance. They now want him to come in to discuss this.
    It sounds like its a form of forced labour - people don't have any choice. Do this or lose your payment. People are looking for jobs, they're just really hard to find!

Havent heard anything yet,found the letter I got,below is a list of possible jobs that will be on offer

Some of the work on offer will be

Energy consveration work in homes and community buildings
    Social care of all age groups and persons with a disabilty or limited mobility
    Caretaking,securing,supervising of community buildings and spaces
    Renovation of community and sporting faclities
    Promoting the Irish language,other cultural and heritage activities
    Administration,research and community event management
    Coaching for sporting activity(where operated by a sports organisation)
    Repair of equipment and tools for reuse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

CatsmcGee wrote: »

I'm in the same position as your boyfriend. I have an appointment tomorrow and I am applying for University for the Fall. I was told that wasn't a valid reason not to except a placement but if I get my course they will reevaluate my contract. The obvious problem for your boyfriend and myself is that we get a placement we have to sign off on jobseekers but if we get our respective courses we will no longer be eligible for Back to Education allowance [since we need to be on JSA for atleast 1 year]

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    I'm in the same position as your boyfriend. I have an appointment tomorrow and I am applying for University for the Fall. I was told that wasn't a valid reason not to except a placement but if I get my course they will reevaluate my contract. The obvious problem for your boyfriend and myself is that we get a placement we have to sign off on jobseekers but if we get our respective courses we will no longer be eligible for Back to Education allowance [since we need to be on JSA for atleast 1 year]

Sigh.

So at the interview, you make sure that the community organisation concerned knows that you only plan to stick around for X months, and that what you're really committed to doing is ...

They'll get the hint, and offer the position to someone else.

• Advertisement

JustMary wrote: »
    Sigh.

So at the interview, you make sure that the community organisation concerned knows that you only plan to stick around for X months, and that what you're really committed to doing is ...

They'll get the hint, and offer the position to someone else.

I was planning to tell them about it [I am going to print up a copy of my online CAO application since we won't get the official ones until April] I was just stating that they aren't taking it as a reason to be excused from this altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

I started on the Tus Programme mid January and basically it was take the job or lose my Job Seekers money.

Fortunately I really like the job but in 12 months I'll be back on the dole so I don't really see the point.

If I find a job in the mean time I can leave the programme.

Karen23 wrote: »
    I started on the Tus Programme mid January and basically it was take the job or lose my Job Seekers money.

Fortunately I really like the job but in 12 months I'll be back on the dole so I don't really see the point.

If I find a job in the mean time I can leave the programme.

That's interesting because I was told you aren't forced to take it them and it won't effect your benefits.

People on Job seekers face losing their money if they turn down work , the Tus Programme offers you work for 12 months and a refusal to take part can affect your benefits. Thats what they told me.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭tipster

ivegot something with tus looking forward to it and just wondering how long it takes to start after signing the forms and giving the bank details etc.i done this about 2 and a half weeks ago and i havent heard a thing since

People on Job seekers face losing their money if they turn down work , the Tus Programme offers you work for 12 months and a refusal to take part can affect your benefits. Thats what they told me.

I guess it depends on where you are and how many position are available. Kilkenny only has 80 places ( and most of them are already taken) so I guess here they can't use the "Take it or else." approach.

tipster wrote: »
    ivegot something with tus looking forward to it and just wondering how long it takes to start after signing the forms and giving the bank details etc.i done this about 2 and a half weeks ago and i havent heard a thing since

Mine start date took longer because I needed Garda Clearance , but I started in the job a month after giving bank details.

I'm really enjoying the job and I'm already dreading the end of the 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ATR180

tipster wrote: »
    Went 4 this interview mid december and only got reply for position mid march.....start next week......yippppppppeeeeeeeeeeeee........LOL:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ronanm666

hi all i recently received a letter about participating in the Tús scheme and wouldn't mind doing it but my partner works full time so i would have to pay someone to mind our son while i do it i wonder if that is a good enough reason to be excused from participating?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Zodiacc

Thats what I was told aswell, but what happens if you get sick in the meantime? what do you do? is your Jobseekers cut or do you go on certs what way does it work?does anyone know...

• Advertisement

ATR180 wrote: »
    Went 4 this interview mid december and only got reply for position mid march.....start next week......yippppppppeeeeeeeeeeeee........LOL:cool:

3.5 mths that was a wait...did u get a line of work to match your skills and give you what you wanted?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ATR180

no stuck me in the bushes with **** tools and told to thrash my way out ......lol:cool:

are you learning anything?was it worth your while?

I love my placement but I know there's no funding in the company to keep me on when my contract finishes in January , I'm raging cos I'd love to stay on.

So after doing that the Social Welfare wanted me to do I'll still be back on the dole when my year is up. I can't see why they can't extend contracts for people who want to continue , they're going to end up paying me anyway at least this way I'd be doing something for it.

I love my placement but I know there's no funding in the company to keep me on when my contract finishes in January , I'm raging cos I'd love to stay on.

So after doing that the Social Welfare wanted me to do I'll still be back on the dole when my year is up. I can't see why they can't extend contracts for people who want to continue , they're going to end up paying me anyway at least this way I'd be doing something for it.

if you're enjoyin it and they are guna av t pay you anyway they should extend the contract at your request....:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭EireIceMan

I went in the end of may. Got offered.a job iv always wanted to. Gave bank details, filled out Garda vetting, have not heard anything since, despite calling in twice and being promised a call back. Beginning to think its another joke scheme to keep people in jobs and make the government look like they are doing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Genowefa

Zodiacc wrote: »
    Thats what I was told aswell, but what happens if you get sick in the meantime? what do you do? is your Jobseekers cut or do you go on certs what way does it work?does anyone know...

When you take up the "job" you sign contract with your new "employer". It is like a standard employment contract, so you are entitled to 10 or 11 days of annual leave. You are also entitled to sick leave (number of days will be stated in your contract).
    The SW stops paying you from then and you're being paid by your new employer. This also means, that your name is no longer on life register. Govt (and media, of course) will say that unemployment rate has fallen :confused:

Genowefa wrote: »
    When you take up the "job" you sign contract with your new "employer". It is like a standard employment contract, so you are entitled to 10 or 11 days of annual leave. You are also entitled to sick leave (number of days will be stated in your contract).
    The SW stops paying you from then and you're being paid by your new employer. This also means, that your name is no longer on life register. Govt (and media, of course) will say that unemployment rate has fallen :confused:

The employer doesn't pay you , Pobal does.

* Pobal is a not-for-profit organisation with charitable status that manages various funding programmes on behalf of the Irish Government and the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Genowefa

The employer doesn't pay you , Pobal does.

* Pobal is a not-for-profit organisation with charitable status that manages various funding programmes on behalf of the Irish Government and the EU

In my case it's other organization. A Local Development Company funded by the Irish Government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,731 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Just a few questions. It looks like i will be getting an office job if i am successful. Coming upto Christmas and money is tight just wondering do you get any grants to get suits or even shirts and trousers. Or do you get any allowance for travel. I dont mind taking up a course but it seems like it will be costing me more money than anything.

Advertisement