Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batwoman - The CW *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

pixelburp wrote: »
    That promotion had me more intrigued 'til that last moment with the cringy "That's the point" comeback. They're really going to lay this one on thick.

Question, as I don't know the source material that well; is the Big Bad, with the goons in rabbit masks, based on any comicbook villain? She's giving off slight Joker-not-Joker vibes...

This gives a bit of detail on the Alice character in the comics. Contains major comic spoilers

https://www.cbr.com/alice-guide-arrowverse-batwoman-villain/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,832 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

That link does contain spoilers for the character.
    I will confirm she is based on a Batwoman comic villain that isn't the mad hatter.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    That link does contain spoilers for the character.
    I will confirm she is based on a Batwoman comic villain that isn't the mad hatter.

Woops, didn't check for spoilers. My bad will update post to say has comic spoilers

• Registered Users Posts: 60,320 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That was terrible Rose is so bloody wooden even her voice over couldn't put any warmth into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭pah

The idea had potential, the execution was awful. That reveal at the end, give me a break... I'm out after 1 episode.

• Advertisement

pah wrote: »
    The idea had potential, the execution was awful. That reveal at the end, give me a break... I'm out after 1 episode.

That reveal should have been a mid season cliffhanger not the end of the first episode

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Interesting feedback so far; just glancing at metacritic and it's hard to gauge. The critic score is 60, which is pretty 'meh' though those TV reviews always depend on how many episodes they were given to work with.

The audience score is ... well, it's exactly the kind of dog-piling, buzzword strewn rants you'd expect from the masses on the internet. Usual "SJWs ate my dog" kind of ranting; show looks like a dogs dinner so far but one imagines the truth somewhere in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I quite enjoyed it and think there's some great potential for it. The only Arrow-verse shows I still watch are Arrow itself (especially as I know it's coming to a conclusion) and Legends of Tomorrow (because it's brilliantly absurd and amazing as a result), so I'm not as invested in the universe as I once was and its probably fair to say that I've got a certain amount of "Supehero Fatigue".

I don't have the problem with Ruby Rose other people seem to. I didn't necessarily fall in love with her performance here, but it didn't bother me either... and in fairness I couldn't stand Stephen Amell at first as Oliver Queen and now he's easily a favourite of mine. Batwoman and Kate Kane as an non-powered hero is far more compelling to me as a character than Flash, Supergirl, or Black Lightning, so I'm intrigued enough to stay on board.

I did find most of the supporting cast to be very bland though, which was my biggest problem about the pilot, with the exception of Rachel Skarsten as Alice who was fantastic and is probably the best thing about the show.

I'll probably wait for a few episodes to build up before watching more, but I'll certainly give it a fair shot.

Watched the first episode.
    I know she said she was training and all, but she sure learned how to use the grappling hooks and all quick enough.
    Alice seemed more lucid than I expected. Would expect her to be more airy in her tone, but not quite Harley.
    Not sure why they did that reveal so soon

Will watch another episode or 2.
    Wonder if they'll do a time jump at some point to bring it up to date with the rest of the Arrowverse, since she was already Batwoman in last year's crossover

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Watched the first episode.
    I know she said she was training and all, but she sure learned how to use the grappling hooks and all quick enough.
    Alice seemed more lucid than I expected. Would expect her to be more airy in her tone, but not quite Harley

Will watch another episode or 2.
    Wonder if they'll do a time jump at some point to bring it up to date with the rest of the Arrowverse, since she was already Batwoman in last year's crossover

Yeah they will need to do a few time jumps between episodes to actually catch up for the crossover. Would be more believable than just doing one big time jump to catch up to last years crossover and then again for this years one. I see on reddit multiple people saying that Elseworlds happens between episode 3 and 4, not confirmed so take with a grain of salt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,273 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I wanted to like this, I really did, but the lead actress has put me right off - wooden dialogue and wooden acting, plus think the batwoman suit looks naff, the heavy lesbian tones are also a put off. Supporting cast have no charisma either. Bit of a mish mash of introductions to characters and not even knowing who they are
    Will give it a few more episodes but feels like I've started watching a show mid run

• Registered Users Posts: 17,273 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Two episodes in and jaysus this is bad
    The most wooden monotonous lead actor and she's so skinny you really find it hard to believe she could punch her way out of a wet paper bag never mind fight off multiple baddies
    Mentioning Batman/Bruce every 5 mins is ever so annoying
    Some terrible green screen as well

Audience reviews bombing the show

I'm done with it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 55,457 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Watched the first two tonight, expecting the worst. I thought it was pretty watchable actually.

Still need to watch the second episode, but if it's like the other CW DC shows, I'm sure everyone will know her secret identity by episode 6

So was the stepmom responsible for the bomb?

And why doesn't Kate at least try and disguise her voice?

Good job Luke just happened to point out the 2 items that would come in handy later on.

Got an hour before more people are killed, so will casually go to Wayne Towers and redesign the suit exactly how she wants it, including digging up a red wig.

And the ending reminds me I would love to know how people make plans on tv shows and movies. "I'll call you" then walk away without getting her number. Happens so often. Same as "We'll grab a coffee/lunch/dinner" before walking away, yet they know the time and place.

It has received a full season order bringing total number of episodes to 22

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hello, padding.

Expected a full or nearly a full season considering it's part of the crossover and that episode would've been done by now. If it was getting half a season that would probably be the finale

That was a very rushed ending with the whole grapple and sudden appearance in the fountain.
    And the bombs seemed pretty safe considering people were running over them as they were going off.
    I'm a bit confused how Kate got Wayne Tower though. She came back unexpectedly and just decided to start doing something in there and no one questioned it? It's not like Bruce has been in touch with anyone, having just disappeared along with all his allies like Gordon

• Advertisement

One of the writers has confirmed that the events of Elseworlds happens between episodes 4 and 5

Ruby seems to be loosening up a bit now. And finally Kate is disguising her voice

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I am enjoying the show so far. Don't know how it warrents a 3.2 rating tho https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8712204/

How long until Kate's step sister finds out the truth?
    Who knew it was so easy to get a nail out of a wall or shoes like that?
    And would Kate not have had to go past Alice and their dad to get out?

They confirmed Elseworlds has happened anyway with the Arkham Breakout mention

• Registered Users Posts: 55,457 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I caught up on this over Christmas (the 6 episodes before the crossover).
    It won't set the world on fire, but it was actually pretty decent.

I warmed up to Ruby Rose too. She isn't as bad as people make out.

Advertisement