Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batwoman - The CW *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Kinda reads a bit patronising TBH, like the producers don't believe its audience don't have the intelligence to deal with a simple recast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,902 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Some clarification from the showrunner after reports yesterday that they were going to kill off Kate Kane

https://tvline.com/2020/06/10/batwoman-kate-kane-dies-season-2-ruby-rose/

• Registered Users Posts: 85,272 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Do actresses usually so publicly advertise themselves for jobs? It makes alot of them look desperate!

I see Wallis Day from the show Krypton has also put her name forward. I dont know the sexuality of any of the candidates but I guess its easy to say they were bisexual at one point in their life.

I was sure I read at some stage Wallis Day was dating a Hollyoaks co star

• Registered Users Posts: 60,343 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I was sure I read at some stage Wallis Day was dating a Hollyoaks co star

Wasn't she on Hollyoaks herself?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Finished the last 7 or 8 episodes over the last few days. It's a decent show but probably the weakest in the CW Arrowverse.

Like I said a few weeks ago, I really warmed to Ruby as the show went on. Episode 1 of Season 2 will be very interesting.

The best thing about this series was easily Rachel Skarsten. Alice was a great character. It was a shame Beth couldn't stick around for longer after the crossover.

Good show, not a great show, but I'll be back for Season 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Mr E wrote: »
    Finished the last 7 or 8 episodes over the last few days. It's a decent show but probably the weakest in the CW Arrowverse.

Like I said a few weeks ago, I really warmed to Ruby as the show went on. Episode 1 of Season 2 will be very interesting.

The best thing about this series was easily Rachel Skarsten. Alice was a great character. It was a shame Beth couldn't stick around for longer after the crossover.

Good show, not a great show, but I'll be back for Season 2.

I'm not interest in the social commentary or whatnot. Does she fight crime? What are the fight scenes like?

Is the show set on Earth One?

And does anyone know how long this and Harley Quinn will be on All4 ? They used to have expiry dates on on that site.

I know there is little in the way crossovers until the main event but I like to watch them in order. I don't have the final season of Arrow yet but it is going to be few weeks before I can start watching anyway.

I read Ruby Rose had suffered a back injury on a movie set. Is this the cause behind her leaving?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,272 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Wasn't she on Hollyoaks herself?

Yes as a 15 year old Holly :p

Javicia Leslie to replace Ruby Rose - Source TV Line

• Registered Users Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Yes as a 15 year old Holly :p

Javicia Leslie to replace Ruby Rose - Source TV Line

Going black lol - at least she's got actual muscles and quite fetching in a swimsuit

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wonder if we get a new suit since I doubt she'll have the red hair and unless she cuts it, she'll have trouble fitting the cowl over her hair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,923 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

She has to be a better actress than Rose so that's a good thing.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I think it is quite clever. If it was a white actress replacing Ruby there would be questions why it wouldn't just be a recast of the main role. I don't think CW will be expecting Batwoman to reach the audience figures of Arrow and Flash. I think they probably will put their money into Stargirl with its blonde, white all American main actress (and a better show).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

From a quick Google, it appears this will be the first black Batman/woman/girl/boy? No issue with it, and genuinely interested to see how it pans out. As said above, even if she's a bad actress, she can't be worse that Ruby Rose! Fans can't give out about any part of her either, as there's no precedence to base it on. Could be a great move.

Edit: Does Batwing count as a Batman-esque character? (I was never into the comics, being from the country and broke)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Rosario Dawson is of black Cuban descent, if we want to count Lego Batgirl, but yeah, far as I know otherwise.

I think it's a good decision, it's a clean break. I love the Kate Kane character but didn't like Ruby Rose for her at all and don't feel they remotely did the Kane character justice, so I think they're better off starting fresh with a character that can establish itself. I'm more interested in this iteration than the initial one.

On screen there hasn't been a black bat, unless counting animated.
    Assuming she was Selina, since her real name was apparently never mentioned in the series, Eartha Kitt's Catwoman is probably the closest to the Bat Family we'll get outside animation.

In the comics there have been more, especially when you take in Batman Inc and, as you said Batwing, as well as The Signal.

CastorTroy wrote: »

Seen that, they did also mention that the suit will change

Yeah though not sure what they mean by showing how awesome the person is. Surely the idea is to conceal the identity. I know they're planning on using her natural hair which, again, will not conceal

Yeah though not sure what they mean by showing how awesome the person is. Surely the idea is to conceal the identity. I know they're planning on using her natural hair which, again, will not conceal

I'm guessing it's just them trying to have the suit highlight what type of person Ryan is, obviously it would conceal her identity. They are in a whole new territory as there has never been a black Batwoman before so they could easily go with something completely different

• Advertisement

According to an official release by the network, Wilder "initially dons Kate Kane's suit at the beginning of Season 2." However, "as Ryan grows into her newfound role as Batwoman, she redesigns the suit." The suit -- as photographed below by Nino Muñoz -- will debut in Episode 3, "sending a message to Gotham that a New Hero has arrived."

image-1-1.png?q=50&fit=crop&w=740&h=931&dpr=1.5

image-2-1.png?q=50&fit=crop&w=740&h=927&dpr=1.5

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I thought the suit was literal perfection?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 60,343 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Teaser

• Registered Users Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Well I'm liking the new actress a whole lot more

Thankfully they haven't tried to make her be like the previous one and the show feels totally new and better (and she looks like she could actually punch her way out of a wet paper bag)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭pah

Absolute muck.

Lucky the suit was found by someone it fit and knew martial arts, as they subtly mentioned. And history with Alice.
    Be a completely different show if some fat dude had found the suit.

Lucky the suit was found by someone it fit and knew martial arts, as they subtly mentioned. And history with Alice.
    Be a completely different show if some fat dude had found the suit.
    Yeah and the
    plane conveniently crashed
    right next to her too. I see they couldn't even get Ruby
    to do the voiceover for the letter to Sophie
    . In relation to the ending twist with
    the injury, it looks like they are using this to give her a disadvantage and show that she can be Batwoman while heavily injured. I'm guessing if Ruby never left we would have had Tommy as Bruce for a lot longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Ratings for the first episode were a disaster.

0.1 rating / just over 600k viewers.
    Can't see this surviving.

I didn't hate the episode though, it was watchable.
    Pity they didn't make the Bruce story last a bit longer, they could have had fun with that.

Advertisement