Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Capital Gains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

The next Fennell interview is up. This time with Shane Ryan aka Michael Jordan.

I was annoyed that Fennell did not ask Ryan about the game turning in 06, after he was taken off against Mayo. That still annoys me!

Definitely had an influence as it was key move in Caffrey seemingly deciding to defend the lead. In a mad end to end game that was suicide and Ryan was big loss further out as Mayo got better of midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Bonniedog wrote:
    Definitely had an influence as it was key move in Caffrey seemingly deciding to defend the lead. In a mad end to end game that was suicide and Ryan was big loss further out as Mayo got better of midfield.

Wonder if Ronan McGarrity going off injured influenced his decision. McGarrity was one of Mayo's strongest performers that year.

Did he feel he could afford to take Ryan from midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

corny wrote: »
    The game had turned before Ryan went off hadn't it. A bit fuzzy at this stage but wasn't there a reshuffle with Ryan moving to half back that handed Mayo the initiative?

https://www.the42.ie/dublin-mayo-retro-liveblog-2006-2980792-Sep2016/

57 mins: Dublin 2-11 Mayo 1-15

And Mortimer nails it! The Mayo turnaround is complete, they now lead by a point.

4:20PM ·
    Ten minutes to go and Mayo hanging on by a point.

4:20PM ·
    Sub: Dublin bring in Declan Lally for Shane Ryan.

4:26PM ·
    67 mins: Dublin 2-12 Mayo 1-15

What a score from Alan Brogan! Great work from Stephen Cluxton at the other end and Dublin break with lightning pace. Brogan slots over the equaliser!

4:28PM · 15 SEP 16
    68 mins: Dublin 2-12 Mayo 1-16

That’s an incredible score from Ciaran McDonald! Tight on the Hogan Stand touchline, McDonald arcs a beauty over the Hill 16 end uprights!!

---

I dunno about the positional shuffling I will re-watch it again at some stage. I have not looked at it since! Beforehand I was more worried how I was going to get tickets for the final. :o It is only Mayo I thought.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Never forget the ref played hardly any injury time either.
    Brought the ball all the way back to our half and blew as soon as the ball was kicked.
    Horrible memories, you have to have pain before glory but that match still makes me wanna cry...

Was it paddy russell that reffed that day.

I remember that alright. I think Dublin were attacking but he had given then a free or a sideline kick. It was back near our goal on the hogan stand side.

As you said as soon as they took it he blew. I remember thinking at the time what a .

Probably my most heartbreaking loss as a supporter amongst the many heartbreaking losses.

• Advertisement

Was it paddy russell that reffed that day.

I remember that alright. I think Dublin were attacking but he had given then a free or a sideline kick. It was back near our goal on the hogan stand side.

As you said as soon as they took it he blew. I remember thinking at the time what a .

Probably my most heartbreaking loss as a supporter amongst the many heartbreaking losses.

Yeah it was Paddy Russell.
    I remember clapping McDonald's mad point and cursing at the same time.

Here is Mortimer and Whelo talking about the game years later.

Whelo said the game still annoys him as it was he felt Dublin should have won and never have lost.

I got to be honest. My first thought was I would say 2011 sickened Whelo more when Dublin won v Kerry!

Jayus I found an article that discusses what was going through Whelo's head on the night of 2011

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/ciaran-whelan-interview-still-the-key-man-in-the-middle-350924.html
    “2011 tore my heart out.
    People who deny it are talking through their arse.
    You were gone and all of a sudden your dreams were enfolding in front of your eyes without you.
    Of course you wanted it [the win] for the lads involved.
    I was delighted for them. But you were gutted for yourself.”

Whelan watched that All-Ireland final from The Sunday Game gantry, and that night would work on the highlights show where he’d put on the brave face, stoically describing himself as one of the ‘Inbetweeners’ that missed out on ‘95 and 2011. But inside a part of him was dying.

--

It got even worse for Whelo. The poor fecker could not even go on the tear with the Dublin lads on the night of the 2011 win v Kerry.

--

It was all still a bit surreal though. The following morning he found himself in a car heading to Derry. You might remember he was a coaching assistant on the show Celebrity Bainisteoir. Hadn’t bloody Dana dropped out taking a club team in Derry, to be replaced by Majella O’Donnell, Daniel’s wife, and the show’s producers had clearly impressed upon him that he was “urgently required” up north to show her the ropes.

So here he was, heading to Derry because of Dana, when he could have been on the tear with the boys in blue and Sam Maguire. It was like life was playing some kind of cruel joke on him. But as time went on he’d come to realise life had been more than fair to him.

--

Poor auld Whelo all kinds of everything happened him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Heard an interview with Tomas O'Se and Alan Brogan a while ago. He was talking about being in the Sunday Game studio the night of the 2014 AI final. They'd all had a few drinks and Tomas was talking about how Fitzmaurice had asked him to stay on for one more year but he decided against it. Can't remember his exact words but they were along the lines of "Jesus, if I'd given it another year I'd have another all Ireland medal" to which Whelo replied "would you ever go and fcuk off".

• Registered Users Posts: 24,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Jesus. What a loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Strumms wrote: »

Heard about this hour or so ago huge shock but at same time with his job etc it makes sense for him.

Will be huge loss and hope we see him playing again but I'm glad he made the choice now and he's sure about it instead of playing and not having his head in it fully. Best of luck to him anyway he's been amazing for Dublin in so many ways.

Heard about this hour or so ago huge shock but at same time with his job etc it makes sense for him.

Will be huge loss and hope we see him playing again but I'm glad he made the choice now and he's sure about it instead of playing and not having his head in it fully. Best of luck to him anyway he's been amazing for Dublin in so many ways.

I just looked him up on wiki, he’s only 26 though, would have said about 29 hence my kind of shock but he has loads in him left.

I’d say it must be difficult trying to balance a medical career as a young lad and a football career and to achieve all he has both professionally and sporting is something else altogether.

I’d wonder if this covid situation has played much of a part in his decision, ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Strumms wrote: »
    I just looked him up on wiki, he’s only 26 though, would have said about 29 hence my kind of shock but he has loads in him left.

I’d say it must be difficult trying to balance a medical career as a young lad and a football career and to achieve all he has both professionally and sporting is something else altogether.

I’d wonder if this covid situation has played much of a part in his decision, ?

He said it hasn't but only he knows I guess!

Yeah, I must have just skimmed the article. Anyway, good luck to the guy, been a great servant and player , so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Good luck to Jack. What a player. Nothing but admiration for him. He's irreplaceable really but more to life than football. The one thing that may see us toppled this year is a tiny loss of hunger. For its near impossible to keep that insatiable desire up. Mentally as much as physical.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,292 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Good luck to Jack. What a player. Nothing but admiration for him. He's irreplaceable really but more to life than football. The one thing that may see us toppled this year is a tiny loss of hunger. For its near impossible to keep that insatiable desire up. Mentally as much as physical.

Think this year is an odd one and it’s anyone’s guess how it will play out. Dublin are going to have a new coach and with a new temporary format/time of year for things it might be a difficult one to get right.

Would he have played this year if Covid-19 wasn't upon us?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Jack will be a huge loss i feel a real key player the draw gives us a good chance to make the final but really hard to say where we are at this stage league performances have not been so good i think so its all to play for .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Slattsy wrote: »
    Would he have played this year if Covid-19 wasn't upon us?

I'd have thought so. Probably would have finished up after our 6th

• Advertisement

I'd have thought so. Probably would have finished up after our 6th

Few places saying that it’s nothing to do with work. He just wants to leave it so. I’d say there’s more to come (not just for Dublin).

Few places saying that it’s nothing to do with work. He just wants to leave it so. I’d say there’s more to come (not just for Dublin).

More retirements so ya mean?

More retirements so ya mean?

I’d say players might start to question if it’s all worth it after having some real time at home with families. Wasn’t Niall Morgan saying similar this week too? Not that he’s retiring but sounds like he’s gave it thought.

Not sure if it's a family thing? I've been stuck at home with my kids for the last three months and I can't ****ing wait to ship them back to crèche!!!

I love them really.

Jack will be a huge loss i feel a real key player the draw gives us a good chance to make the final but really hard to say where we are at this stage league performances have not been so good i think so its all to play for .

League performances were poor last year also.

As others said it's all a bit strange this year. Could we have a real outsider winning Sam this year?

Who knows.

League performances were poor last year also.

As others said it's all a bit strange this year. Could we have a real outsider winning Sam this year?

Who knows.
    It's gonna be a kerry handy one.

Decided to watch the first Final from last year again. Got a huge giddiness thinking of what the summer used to be like.

I can't wait for ball to be back.

In addition to that I think I said it on the day, but McCaffrey's goal is probably the best goal I've ever seen.

Just re watched it about 8 times there. McCaffrey started his run right beside Howard when he took his catch. Unbelievable.

I'm gonna watch it again...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,955 ✭✭✭pgj2015

why would anyone want to be playing football in November in Ireland? no wonder he doesn't want to play this year.
    he will miss it after a while and probably be mad to get back next year or the year after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

For the likes of him, he has won plenty, they dont really have a proper rival to compete with, and he probably wont be reliant on the gaa for a role down the line, ie punditry etc. You can understand why motivation might wane a bit in that scenario.
    There are probably a few more in that scenario also, cian osullivan comes to mind

Advertisement