Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missus first bike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

In my opinion Hornet or Bandit. The other two have more fairings which would be expensive to replace if they break.

My first bike was Bandit. I loved it and found it very easy to work on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-hornet-600/20896958

There's another pretty yellow hornet to consider also within the price, even thought she may drop and scatch the ****e out of it :o

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    The other two have more fairings which would be expensive to replace if they break.

Well the Suzuki advertised has, because it is an S version with the half fairing.

A non-S doesn't have a fairing. The handlebar/footpeg positions are different too.

(The other three have too many cylinders :P)

honda boi wrote: »
    Getting the missus her first bike

How tall or how short?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭honda boi

Ye less fairings would mean less damage but if they cracked I wouldn't be fixing it anyway :p
    Insurance wise there's not much separating them.
    She's 4ft 11 :p
    That yellow hornet is quite nice.
    Kids love it because it's bumblebees colour!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Wimmin on bikes....fcuk sake, what next..:rolleyes:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,715 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Fazer 600 for me. Girl in work has one. Light upright riding position and reliable . Win on all counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dbas

Fazer 600 is my first bike. Coming up on a year now. Doing 80 mile a day on it these days. Very reliable machine. Never let me down

She's 4ft 11 :p

With her hands in the air? :pac:

I'd maybe look again at that list and be ready to hack the seat about with a Stanley knife. From lightest to lardiest is SV / Hornet / Fazer / Bandit. Lowest seat height is Fazer followed by the rest.

I think she might want to sit on a few others to see what fits.

Dare I say a 400 might be better size-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Had a hornet and a SV and would take the hornet over the SV. It's a better bike. But I think a cbf600 would suit your missus better than any of them because the seat height is lower, the power band is more limear and its more comfortable to ride than any of the bikes on the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

Just got first bike for wife, it's a 11 reg Suzuki sfv650 gladius . Low seat height fairly light naked bike. was looking at hornet 600 08 but a bit too fast and much higher insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CorkCBR6

Honda Bros is a brilliant bike for the smaller person.

Cheap as chips and very reliable! Insurance companies like them too

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

fatbast wrote: »
    Just got first bike for wife, it's a 11 reg Suzuki sfv650 gladius . Low seat height fairly light naked bike. was looking at hornet 600 08 but a bit too fast and much higher insurance

+1
    SV650 is a nice bike with a great engine. Enough power throughout the Rev range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭honda boi

Want to get her on a 600cc,something that can be used for the full test.
    Had a Honda bros 400 meself a few years ago meself,bulletproof it was but wanted something with more umph not long after getting it :p.
    I suppose I'll have to go see a few bikes with her and get her to sit on them and see as she is quite small.

Be fairly awkward going to view a bike ,she hops on and it's too big and looking at the seller and going nope without even starting the thing :p.
    And my god some of the photos or lack of photos people put up amazes me!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

My SO is petite too - just delivered her bike to it's new (also a lady) owner today in fact.

This was her......5th bike. What I've learned is that seat height is only one component. Width of the seat plays much a part in choice of bike.

For those modest of inseam - male or female - the suitable bike is actually a combination of the two.

For this reason narrow bikes like singles and v-twins work well.

So the Gladius or SV, BMW F, or others similar will all work. I don't think the 4-inline work for a 4'11" imho.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭jmreire

Looking for some boards wisdom.
    Getting the missus her first bike and narrowed it down to between 4 bikes.
    Sv 650
    https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/sv650/20678572
    Honda hornet 600
    https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-hornet-600/20788875
    Yamaha Fazer 600
    https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/fazer-600/20996058
    Suzuki bandit 600
    https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/suzuki-bandit-600/20716087

I know all of these are fairly robust but any experiences or opinion on these?
    Want something that's reliable , couldn't care how it looks or extras as I guarantee she will drop it,so want something that will get A to B.
    Hoping to keep it under €2000.

Honda boi, I am thinking also about getting a bike again. I had a Honda 50 many years ago ( but stupidly, did not get the "Full" licence at the time, which would have been relatively easy back then ) So your missus is only 4'11" in height ( good good's come in small parcels ;) ) and it will be her 1st bike.? Fair play to her ( and to you too for helping her ) I guess she must be crazy about bike's??? So she ( like me) will be on the same path regarding licence? Computer test for permit, then X nr of hours with professional biking instructor, then eventually driving test? I'm not that tall myself either, to make matters worse..so I'm very interested in how your Missus get's on. Has she test driven one yet? If she can do it.... no reason why I can't. Only one's I have been near lately were only 125's,, so easy to manage. A friend who is an avid biker, wanted to sell me an KTM850... I would have needed a high footpath to climb on to it, and another one for the landing. So while that one was out... maybe one like the 600-650's you are looking at might be better and easier for me to manage. Good Luck with it, and keep us posted on whats happening and how ye get on, OK?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

I'd be surprised if the sv was suitable... I got mine as they have a higher seating position than many 600's.

Im 6foot 4 and the sv felt grand where the bandit felt tiny

• Registered Users Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Had a Fazer 600 before, great bike to learn on.

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if the sv was suitable... I got mine as they have a higher seating position than many 600's.

You can lower an SV very easily and cheaply if needed.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Little bit out there, and maybe slightly biased.

Seeing as she's quite short, would perhaps something like a Honda Shadow be out of the question? Good low cruiser bikes are handy for newer riders, better centre of gravity and a Shadow or Rebel isn't a heavy bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭CBRLizzie

Blanchy90 wrote: »

I'm 5 foot 2 on an SV, had it lowered and wear New Rocks, am fine on it. Its the weight of some bikes that I have more of a problem with, SV is nice and light. Used to have a CBR600, didn't realise how heavy it was until getting the SV.

Best of luck with the bike search Honda boi

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I suppose I'll have to go see a few bikes with her and get her to sit on them and see as she is quite small.

Exactly what I'd suggest. Go to bikeworld or somewhere it's easy to sit on a load of different bikes and pick a style. The cruiser style is low, but can have a wide saddle and no protection. Pros and cons with everything, but she needs to be comfortable putting her feet down, especially if she's starting out. Unless she's prepared to do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6foabj3fh3g

CBRLizzie wrote: »
    I'm 5 foot 2 on an SV, had it lowered and wear New Rocks, am fine on it. Its the weight of some bikes that I have more of a problem with, SV is nice and light. Used to have a CBR600, didn't realise how heavy it was until getting the SV.

Best of luck with the bike search Honda boi

Do you find, as my SO did, that if you fill the petrol tank that the weight up top is noticeable ? for that reason she only ever half-filled it - claims it made a difference.

The F BMW's (800's) have the tank under the seat, which I suspect helps too.

Ode To The Motorist

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Little bit out there, and maybe slightly biased.

Seeing as she's quite short, would perhaps something like a Honda Shadow be out of the question? Good low cruiser bikes are handy for newer riders, better centre of gravity and a Shadow or Rebel isn't a heavy bike.

I wouldn't put my wife on a cruiser.

No offense but I'd want her as high as possible with great visibility. No cruiser offers that.

I have one in the garage. For me they are never learner bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭CBRLizzie

No, I've never found petrol making a difference, but definitely notice if I put on weight I'm more able to reach the ground :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

listermint wrote: »
    Fazer 600 for me. Girl in work has one. Light upright riding position and reliable . Win on all counts.

The girl in work or the bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

CBF600, won't regret it. I'm repeating myself now.

I wouldn't put my wife on a cruiser.

No offense but I'd want her as high as possible with great visibility. No cruiser offers that.

I have one in the garage. For me they are never learner bikes.

If you're only tall enough for a cruiser, the point is moot really.

And a cruiser from a visibility perspective is actually very good: you sit straight and can look left/right easier than on, say, an SV.

Ode To The Motorist

galwaytt wrote: »
    If you're only tall enough for a cruiser, the point is moot really.

And a cruiser from a visibility perspective is actually very good: you sit straight and can look left/right easier than on, say, an SV.

Its not though, I have one in the garage. It offers no were near the visibility of an upright position bike. Its simply not comparable in any world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Its not though, I have one in the garage. It offers no were near the visibility of an upright position bike. Its simply not comparable in any world.

I'd still go for a cruiser. Visibility isn't bad, looking over your shoulder is way easier but getting your feet on the ground with some confidence is vital. You won't be filtering through traffic just yet, you'll probably be staying with traffic or going out for spins, being a bit higher isn't that big a deal imho

Advertisement