Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missus first bike

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

listermint wrote: »
    Its not though, I have one in the garage. It offers no were near the visibility of an upright position bike. Its simply not comparable in any world.

An SV isn't an upright position bike by any stretch though: a cruiser you sit vertical, so how you make the opposite out slightly escapes me tbh.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Height.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Never kind keen on cruisers. The very low slung weight doesn't transfer onto the front wheel like a "normal" bike. The tendency to push the front wheel along the ground when braking rather than causing it to dig in.

A bit like those stepthru's of years back whose front suspension design threw the nose upwards on braking - just what you didn't want the front doing.

Never kind keen on cruisers. The very low slung weight doesn't transfer onto the front wheel like a "normal" bike. The tendency to push the front wheel along the ground when braking rather than causing it to dig in.

A bit like those stepthru's of years back whose front suspension design threw the nose upwards on braking - just what you didn't want the front doing.

Sorry, and although I have non-cruisers too, but the grip available on a cruiser on modern tyres, usually exceeds the abilities of the people riding them. You can throw a cruiser around if you know how to. It's all about skills and training- it's not a limit of the bike, and certainly not on the public road in normal usage.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

galwaytt wrote: »
    Sorry, and although I have non-cruisers too, but the grip available on a cruiser on modern tyres, usually exceeds the abilities of the people riding them. You can throw a cruiser around if you know how to. It's all about skills and training- it's not a limit of the bike, and certainly not on the public road in normal usage.

Cruisers have no maneuverability

• Advertisement

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Cruisers have no maneuverability

Lolz : I've actually gone to the US and did a course with this guy: best €150 I ever spent.

https://www.ridelikeapro.com/

So, I'm inclined to throw my H-D around all the time now :pac::pac:

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Lolz : I've actually gone to the US and did a course with this guy: best €150 I ever spent.

https://www.ridelikeapro.com/

So, I'm inclined to throw my H-D around all the time now :pac::pac:

Ah is that him?

I just watched some of his videos there, absolutely amazing stuff.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Ah is that him?

I just watched some of his videos there, absolutely amazing stuff.

Yep, thats 'Motorman' Jerry. Nice guy. He has a sidekick - also Gerry - who's gifted.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

The context was a missus' first bike. All else being equal, a normal bike will tend to transfer weight onto the front tyre during breaking better than a low engined cruiser. Which suits a first timer.

It's not so much a matter of opinion as it is a matter of the location of the centre of mass. That mass is aimed down onto the front contact patch in the case of a normal street bike. Tending to scrub the tyre along the road in the case of a cruiser.

Things don't change as you advance upward in skill. Certainly, a cruiser on modern tyres is going to perform well in capable hands. Nevertheless, if it comes to standing the bike up on it's nose in the wet under breaking, a normal bike will do it better.

And so, for the capable hand in an emergency braking situation, the normal bike offers the better braking performance.

All else being equal

Advertisement