Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calving camera

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

thanks all got it with the below info got it sorted!
    appreciate all the help any one of you want to go into IT support in 3:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Gudstock

Anyone have an approx idea of cost (or recommended supplier) of calving camera plus modem plus battery etc for an outfarm shed with no electricity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭valtra2

Guy on done deal selling calving cameras from laois area. Abosulate cowboy. Avoid. Pm me for details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭alps

Aldi have a 4 camera system for sale today for 200....looksto have all youd require...internet, recording, infrared etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭emaherx

alps wrote: »
    Aldi have a 4 camera system for sale today for 200....looksto have all youd require...internet, recording, infrared etc

Bought cheaper ones from Amazon less than 100 Euro and they are working fine. I'd say similar quality to the Aldi ones but came without a hard disk. Don't think recording is important for calving cameras and the power consumption will be lower too.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭pms7

I went with CCTVDirect.ie
    HIKVISON 2MP Darkfighter DS-2DE4215IW-DE 15 x Zoom 100m IR in Stock, The Kit Price Including all the cables etc, Ubiquiti Wireless Bridges and next day delivery costs €650.00 Inc Vat. This also comes with a 3 year warranty and unlimited technical Support
    I could sort old analogue cameras fine, but IP stuff bit behond me.. The night vision is super.
    Jonathan sorts everything for you by Teamviewer and gets back to you fast if any problems. Also the Hikvision app is very good. Has presets, can move to different areas by calling them, rarely use the moving function, find it awkward. Can also view on PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Put on the kettle for this one. Lots of reading;
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056741425

I set up mine with 2 nanostations and a foscam camera about 5 years ago following the thread above. Cost me €200 at the time. Used it today and still going strong without any issues since.

I also used two nano stations but I found getting them to connect to eachother a challenge and got a techy guy to help me set them up.
    Perfect internet from my house about 400m away, but i am told as long as they have clear line of sight they can run up to 13km.

I got a lorex box and 8 cameras (about £350 for everything - nano stations were given to me free)
    Everything is working sweet after 2 years (and i dropped the box from 16ft unto concrete floor)

I am in a small way of going but love them. I am a part-time farmer out at work but I have had 26 live calves out of 26 over last two years and the cameras are a big factor - I have been present at all 26 calvings.
    I have the app on my phone and check from anywhere - checking from bed on winter nights is a luxury. and night vision is amazing

Everyone is different but i wouldn't even consider a ptz camera. I have every conceivable angle covered with my 8 cameras - no blind spots. If i had it to do again i might get 16 for about £500 all-in with box. still a fraction of the cost of one PTZ
    I can see them all at one a glance so it so easy to check when you wake up at 3am with a glance and roll over to sleep again.

Setting them up was deadly simple and the bonus is that they watch for theives when not calving which you ptz won't do

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Paddydans

Hi,

I have WiFi in the house about 50m from slatted shed. Just wondering what system I can put in place to view a calving camera on mobile phone which I won't have to top up. A step by step would be super??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Paddydans wrote: »
    Hi,

I have WiFi in the house about 50m from slatted shed. Just wondering what system I can put in place to view a calving camera on mobile phone which I won't have to top up. A step by step would be super??
    If the shed is on the same power circuit as the shed, you can get an adapter 1 in the house & the other in the shed to extend the WiFi to the shed.
    Otherwise you’ll have to bring a cat5 cable from house to shed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

From Paddys post
    Has anyone got multiple cameras connected via cat 5?
    How does your system work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

All cameras are not the same. It's possible to install a system if Internet is present in the yard, using bargain basement cameras with 4 cameras with hardware costing about 150e

If you add in router, antenna, quality camera with low light sensitivity and also bulletproof reliability a 4 camera setup hardware would easily hit 1200.

I've installed both levels for various mates and a few mates of mates and have had no calls whatsoever from the lads who went for reliability and quality. Other lads have issues now and again and clarity, especially at night is way worse. You get what you pay for!

Any hikvision camera with 0.005 lux sensitivity, or less, will be brilliant at night. 150-200e each for those though. There's a reason your locsl bank uses them though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Paddydans

If the shed is on the same power circuit as the shed, you can get an adapter 1 in the house & the other in the shed to extend the WiFi to the shed.
    Otherwise you’ll have to bring a cat5 cable from house to shed

The shed is on a different power supply so it rules that out. Can I bounce the WiFi to the shed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Paddydans wrote: »
    The shed is on a different power supply so it rules that out. Can I bounce the WiFi to the shed?

yes no problem,

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭edward901

My shed is about 150 meters from the dwelling house with some buildings in the way.Will the Nano stations still work.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭oneten

From Paddys post
    How does your system work?[/QUOTE

I use that kind of system , multiple cameras linked with cat 5 ,works good enough. It could be better , I used low quality cat 5 , didn't know the difference ,
    dont use cable stamped CCA , it means copper coated aluminium, its crap at distance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

oneten wrote: »
    From Paddys post
    How does your system work?[/QUOTE

I use that kind of system , multiple cameras linked with cat 5 ,works good enough. It could be better , I used low quality cat 5 , didn't know the difference ,
    dont use cable stamped CCA , it means copper coated aluminium, its crap at distance

+1

and also in farm sheds use the industrial type with the heavy external coating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Hi, I've got the following cabling in the shed which is fed into the house. Can I still use this cable for a fresh camera setup?

Sorry the photos aren't the best, the box is above the slats and the pen was full so I wasn't taking my time to take the photos.

All I really need to know at this stage is if I can use this cabling to upgrade the camera with a wired connection into the house. I'll take it from there.

Thanks.

Hi, I've got the following cabling in the shed which is fed into the house. Can I still use this cable for a fresh camera setup?

Sorry the photos aren't the best, the box is above the slats and the pen was full so I wasn't taking my time to take the photos.

All I really need to know at this stage is if I can use this cabling to upgrade the camera with a wired connection into the house. I'll take it from there.

Thanks.

Looks like network cable alright. Dose it sat cat5 or cat6 anywhere written on the cable? These would need to be terminated correctly at both ends, is no joins involving insulating tape.

On a second look. Network cable will have an orange, green, blue and brown cable each with a white pair twisted to them possibly with a stripe of the same colours.

The red and green wires are probable only phone cable if this is the one running back to the house it will be useless for network.

emaherx wrote: »
    Looks like network cable alright. Dose it sat cat5 or cat6 anywhere written on the cable? These would need to be terminated correctly at both ends, is no joins involving insulating tape.

On a second look. Network cable will have an orange, green, blue and brown cable each with a white pair twisted to them possibly with a stripe of the same colours.

The red and green wires are probable only phone cable if this is the one running back to the house it will be useless for network.

I'll have to check in the morning. This has been installed for at least 20 years so it may be cat5 as opposed to cat5e.

• Advertisement

I'll have to check in the morning. This has been installed for at least 20 years so it may be cat5 as opposed to cat5e.

Won't matter cat 5 will do for 100mbs. Unless you have 4K cameras I wouldn't worry about that. It's probably much quicker than your internet upload speed if you are intending on remote connection.

Okay, I'm able to crimp proper terminals onto the cable, so in terms of cameras and receiver boxes what are popular?

I want sound as well as vision. Are PTZ cameras worth it? I could cover pretty much all the shed with one but would a couple of fixed cameras come in cheaper?

Okay, I'm able to crimp proper terminals onto the cable, so in terms of cameras and receiver boxes what are popular?

I want sound as well as vision. Are PTZ cameras worth it? I could cover pretty much all the shed with one but would a couple of fixed cameras come in cheaper?

Hikvision are popular. But I use these cheap HD cameras.

https://m.ebay.ie/itm/FLOUREON-CCTV-8CH-1080N-DVR-Recorder-1500TVL-Cameras-Outdoor-Security-System-Kit/223664036178?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item34136a5952:g:0d4AAOSwDhxd1kRM

I've 8 of them setup in sheds plus 4 around the yard for security.

A good quality PTZ camera is very flexible and may well have better night vision than my cheap cameras. But I use a sonoff 4ch networked smart switch to turn on shed lights if I need a better view.

Hikvision are popular. But I use these cheap HD cameras.

https://m.ebay.ie/itm/FLOUREON-CCTV-8CH-1080N-DVR-Recorder-1500TVL-Cameras-Outdoor-Security-System-Kit/223664036178?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item34136a5952:g:0d4AAOSwDhxd1kRM
    But I use a sonoff 4ch networked smart switch to turn on shed lights if I need a better view.

You've got my interest now. I never considered this. I like the sound of this.

How much of your setup is wireless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

It's hard to beat a good ptz setup in a slatted shed, zoom in and read a tag in the dark, it's practically a DIY setup job if you are anyway technically adept.
    On calving pens it's a no brainer, what price is your peace of mind.

You've got my interest now. I never considered this. I like the sound of this.

How much of your setup is wireless?

Cameras all completely wired. I've network wired from house into garage and workshop then a wireless connection from workshop to cattle shed and all wired from there.

This is the sonoff relay it controls 3 lighting circuits and my electric fence unit. I also have similar controlling roller doors.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/333443674476

• Advertisement

It's hard to beat a good ptz setup in a slatted shed, zoom in and read a tag in the dark, it's practically a DIY setup job if you are anyway technically adept.
    On calving pens it's a no brainer, what price is your peace of mind.

I won't knock a PTZ, but I've every angle covered in open cow shed and 3 calving pens with fixed cameras. Not sure I need ability to read a tag in the dark, a cow either needs assistance or she doesn't won't matter her number. I got 8 cameras for under €150, night vision is fairly good as long as cow is not a red limousine on fresh straw (then she's invisible which is weird) but remote control of lights sorted that issue. I've only one red cow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

I won't knock a PTZ, but I've every angle covered in open cow shed and 3 calving pens with fixed cameras. Not sure I need ability to read a tag in the dark, a cow either needs assistance or she doesn't won't matter her number. I got 8 cameras for under €150, night vision is fairly good as long as cow is not a red limousine on fresh straw (then she's invisible which is weird) but remote control of lights sorted that issue. I've only one red cow.

Would you not just leave lights on in a shed?

Would you not just leave lights on in a shed?

Why? The cows don't need them, I know LED lights don't use as much electricity but I don't believe in wasting energy either.

Why? The cows don't need them, I know LED lights don't use as much electricity but I don't believe in wasting energy either.

Ours left on all night in calving shed and cubicles

Ours left on all night in calving shed and cubicles

That's ok, that's your farm, mine are on while needed. Maybe that's an area you could look at if you decide to try and cut your carbon footprint ;):D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

I leave lights on but they’re led battens and you wouldn’t really need them with my ptz camera in a 6 span lean to. Great camera.
    Got second one last year for a 6 span slatted shed which is beside the lean to.
    Didn’t know myself last year with them and hopefully get it up and goin on phone for this calving season. It’s the 5km wireless camera. You need line of sight though.

Equicom in cork I bought it. Vat back.

That's ok, that's your farm, mine are on while needed. Maybe that's an area you could look at if you decide to try and cut your carbon footprint ;):D

LEDs;)
    I'd be afraid cows would get stuck in a cubicle or walk on another cow without them.
    Probably wrong on that though

LEDs;)
    I'd be afraid cows would get stuck in a cubicle or walk on another cow without them.
    Probably wrong on that though

I mentioned LED's before you :p they still use energy and depending how many you have on it could still be a fair bit. I do leave a few here in the yard on with dusk till Dawn switches for safety/security reasons but it's not the same level of light or power consumption as when the lights are "on"

A great deal in fairness.
    Any ip weather rating on those cameras I didn't see any.
    Dust can be an issue, the obvious dampness in sheds, steam off cattle, the dreaded spider webs

emaherx are you able to provide some details of how you integrate the lights in order to control them from anywhere?
    Have you setup a wireless network in your shed to control them?

emaherx are you able to provide some details of how you integrate the lights in order to control them from anywhere?
    Have you setup a wireless network in your shed to control them?

Oh yes, I'd forgotten they were wifi. The router used as a wireless bridge also provides a WiFi hotspot. They have their own app ewelink it's called I don't personally use that but it works well but uses some Chinese server for authentication and remote access similar to P2P on the cameras. I use custom firmware called "tasmoto" I think and a local server running home assistant on a raspberry pi and then port forward on my router to give remote access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PTZlink-Outdoor-Surveillance-Detection-Injector/dp/B07XJRQ9L8

Considering one of those ptz cameras
    Seems to be all singing and dancing but too new for any reviews

It comes with a poe injector which is handy,meaning just one cable run from the router

Comments ?

A great deal in fairness.
    Any ip weather rating on those cameras I didn't see any.
    Dust can be an issue, the obvious dampness in sheds, steam off cattle, the dreaded spider webs

They are outdoor cameras, don't know the ip rating off the top of my head, but are up 3 years with no issues.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/PTZlink-Outdoor-Surveillance-Detection-Injector/dp/B07XJRQ9L8

Considering one of those ptz cameras
    Seems to be all singing and dancing but too new for any reviews

It comes with a poe injector which is handy,meaning just one cable run from the router

Comments ?

The rotation speed seems to be 0.02deg/s. That seems slow, but I've not checked the speed of others yet.
    Might be more frustrating waiting on it to pan rather than switching to another camera.

Edit : that is the fine adjustment. They can do up to 60deg/s max rotation speed.

They are outdoor cameras, don't know the ip rating off the top of my head, but are up 3 years with no issues.

Item description states they are IP66.

• Advertisement

Item description states they are IP66.

Serious value for money

Are the cameras mostly wired to avoid jammers or does it just make for a cheaper and more robust setup?

emaherx, how have you housed your sonoff switch in the shed to make it waterproof but still be able to pick up the WiFi signal.
    Can they still pick it up through an IP66 weatherproof box?

Are the cameras mostly wired to avoid jammers or does it just make for a cheaper and more robust setup?

emaherx, how have you housed your sonoff switch in the shed to make it waterproof but still be able to pick up the WiFi signal.
    Can they still pick it up through an IP66 weatherproof box?

I usually hardwire everything where possible it's far more reliable and cheaper. The sonoff relay fits a standard din rail inside an ip rated consumer unit and is about 3 foot from router which is in an ip rated box so no signal issue.

Serious value for money

To be fair though they look and feel like cheap rubbish but they seem to work fine. Not sure how they will stand the test of time but they are so cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Can anyone recommend a good free or paid iPhone app for a foscam that allows the image to be zoomed as well as the camera to tilt and rotate etc.
    Also the apps must allow full screen autorotate on the iPhone.
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,291 ✭✭✭tanko

Can anyone recommend a good free or paid iPhone app for a foscam that allows the image to be zoomed as well as the camera to tilt and rotate etc.
    Thanks in advance

Does the Hubble camera app do all that?

tanko wrote: »
    Does the Hubble camera app do all that?
    Will check it out thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Thanks in advance

Ipcamvewer is perfect , the free version is fine , I have it myself ,

Ipcamvewer is perfect , the free version is fine , I have it myself ,

Have ipcamviewer thanks but wont rotate or offer tilt, zoom rotate options on the iPhone whereas the android version of the app on a tablet does it all.
    You have it on iPhone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Have ipcamviewer thanks but wont rotate or offer tilt, zoom rotate options on the iPhone whereas the android version of the app on a tablet does it all.
    You have it on iPhone?

Ya I have on iPhone , my brother in law who runs the dns part of it for me uses it trough a samsung

Advertisement