Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest Hello Doorbell Install

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

Via toolstation.com 206 GBP delivered to parcel motel. Not a bad price 30 or 40 euro off rrp

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

Looking for a bit of help with the Nest Hello app on Android.

I am delighted with the way the Nest Hello installed and has worked flawlessly since i.e. great picture clarity day and night, no drop outs, the zone I set up on Nest Aware works perfectly and it identifies the motions and people movements I've it set to.

In Nest Aware I've the camera set to operate 24/7 i.e. I haven't set a schedule and it doesn't turn off when I'm home.

I've Notification type set to "Push Notification" and When to send set to "Always".

The problem I'm having is in relation to Notifications to the Nest app on my (modern OnePlus 5) Android phone. It seems that after a number of hours the Nest app ceases to be open/available to notifications and they simply stop coming through i.e no motion notifications and (more inconveniently) no Doorbell notifications. I've been trying to diagnose the problem and noticed if I manually launch the Nest app and then revert to the home screen the app will then receive notifications for a number of hours which I'm taking as meaning that once I manually launch the app it stays in memory or runs in the background for that period of time but after an unknown amount of time it seems to stop and I no longer receive notifications.

Settings -> Apps -> Nest -> Notifications is set to On including allowing notification dot and all categories (Alarms, Home/Away Assist, Doorbell & General) are also all set to "On".

Settings -> Apps -> Nest -> Permissions are all (Camera, Contacts, Location, Microphone & Storage) are all set to "On".

Apps -> Nest ->Battery is set to "Optimising battery use" even though Settings -> Battery -> Battery optimisation -> Nest is set to "Don't optimise".

It's very frustrating but I think the issue seems to be the apparent conflict between the state of battery optimisation in the Apps -> Nest ->Battery menu and the Settings -> Battery -> Battery optimisation -> Nest menu.

Anyone else experienced this issue and resolve it or have any suggestions as to how to resolve it?

That explains EXACTLY the problem I'm having. The Oxygen OS (OnePlus's vanilla like version of Android) is randomly resetting the Battery Optimisation setting from "Don't Optimise" back to "Optimise" and is consequently killing the Nest app from running in the background.

This is 100% a OnePlus firmware issue which I'm sure they'll address in the next update as they are fairly pro-active like that.

Pain in the a$$ until they do though!

I dont have nest hello but have the one plus 6 latest build on Oxygen and dont have this issue. I have IQ set up for notifications and they are delivered consistently. I never reboot though so hopefully it stays working

• Advertisement

Rafloution wrote: »
    I dont have nest hello but have the one plus 6 latest build on Oxygen and dont have this issue. I have IQ set up for notifications and they are delivered consistently. I never reboot though so hopefully it stays working

Yes, the issue can affect all apps which run in the background, not just Nest.

I manually checked for system updates (one of the "optimizations" seems to be the device itself didn't auto check for updates!) and found a major update to Android 9 (Pie) waiting for me so I downloaded and installed that then went through Settings -> Battery -> Battery Optimisation and changed all the apps I require to run in the background to receive instant push notifications such as WhatsApp, Oultook, Rain Alarm and Nest to "Don't Optimise" and will see over the next few days if that solved the problem.

BTW, what's the IQ app?

Sorry IQ is nest cam IQ. Same app different camera but I don't have the issue with notifications. That article is pretty clear though so would probably guess it's that causing the issue

Rafloution wrote: »
    Sorry IQ is nest cam IQ. Same app different camera but I don't have the issue with notifications. That article is pretty clear though so would probably guess it's that causing the issue

You're spot on. The firmware update I did on the phone seems (fingers crossed) to have fixed the issue as I set Nest app battery setting to "Don't Optimise" yesterday afternoon and so far it's stayed that way and hasn't reverted to "Optimise" which is what was causing the problem previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Worried2019

hi, I’m looking to get a nest doorbell but not a chance I could even attempt at installing myself and neither could my husband. I’ve sent a few requests online for quotes but does anyone know what would be a ballpark figure for installation? Cheers!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

hi, I’m looking to get a nest doorbell but not a chance I could even attempt at installing myself and neither could my husband. I’ve sent a few requests online for quotes but does anyone know what would be a ballpark figure for installation? Cheers!

150 or so for wiring, install and config. Extra 100 to supply and fit probably if you need a bell transformer changed and a new chime also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭micks_address

copacetic wrote: »

150 or so for wiring, install and config. Extra 100 to supply and fit probably if you need a bell transformer changed and a new chime also.
    That seems a little high. Guy did ours for 60 wiring and fitting doorbell, I had a good relationship with him as he wired kitchen etc.. he quoted a friend of mine 80 to wire his ring doorbell.. transformer and chime should be no more than 40 euro combined

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Worried2019

Thanks! I’ve been quoted €270 so far!

Thanks! I’ve been quoted €270 so far!
    Have you an existing wired doorbell? If so that seems high. Should be a new transformer, and mount nest. If you are lucky will fit in same place as old. Put nest part in existing wire chime. If it's a complete wire job and supply door chime 270 might be reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Luckylow10

I am going to be installing the nest myself, I purchased the 8v-24v transformer in kellehers in ballymount and they also have the nest doorbell for €210 plus vat. Seems to be best price I can find in Ireland.

I just have one question, my bell chime is 8v-12v, should this be a problem?

Thanks in advance

Luckylow10 wrote: »
    I am going to be installing the nest myself, I purchased the 8v-24v transformer in kellehers in ballymount and they also have the nest doorbell for €210 plus vat. Seems to be best price I can find in Ireland.

I just have one question, my bell chime is 8v-12v, should this be a problem?

Thanks in advance

Our chime was same and it worked... is still working

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Our chime was same and it worked... is still working

same here, no problems...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Folks,

I'm thinking about taking the plunge on one of these. Is there a rough average to the cost of installation?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Folks,

I'm thinking about taking the plunge on one of these. Is there a rough average to the cost of installation?

Thanks.

If you need a new transformer you will need to get a REC (registered electrical contractor) to comply with the law. This will cost a call out fee (maybe €85), the cost of the traffo (€20) + the charge for a minimum number of hours (maybe 4 hours at around €40 per hour). RECs are expensive!

If you don’t need a new transformer then a handyman can do it so the cost will be significantly less (maybe €50 to €100).

That is my guess. Post a photo of the transformer and we can tell you if it needs to be changed or not.

2011 wrote: »
    If you need a new transformer you will need to get a REC (registered electrical contractor) to comply with the law. This will cost a call out fee (maybe €85), the cost of the traffo (€20) + the charge for a minimum number of hours (maybe 4 hours at around €40 per hour). RECs are expensive!

If you don’t need a new transformer then a handyman can do it so the cost will be significantly less (maybe €50 to €100).

That is my guess. Post a photo of the transformer and we can tell you if it needs to be changed or not.

that's crazy money.. i had a registered electrician fit mine for 60 or 70 euro.. ok i knew the guy very well and he did it outside his normal bigger jobs.. he was less that an hour in total fitting the transformer, attaching the bell outside and placing the nest attachment the chime.. i supplied the transformer

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

that's crazy money..

I’m not going to argue whether it is or not. I’m not trying to sell anything here and I’m not a REC.

I am an electrical engineer that employs the services of a different RECs on a frequent basis so my guess is based on my own direct experience.
    i had a registered electrician fit mine for 60 or 70 euro..

That is well below cost, good for you. Did you get a minor works completion certificate? This alone would cost more than €50

This price simply won’t make economic sense to RECs in the current climate.
    ok i knew the guy very well and he did it outside his normal bigger jobs..

So he did you a favor, that explains it. Hardly normal pricing you have to admit.

It’s easy to get a 2nd opinion. Simply post the same question in the electrical forum.
    Link: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1018

• Advertisement

If you need a new transformer you will need to get a REC (registered electrical contractor) to comply with the law.

I installed my own replacement transformer when fitting the Nest Doorbell and found it to be a very straightforward plug and play type job and I'm not an experienced DIY'er at all. In doing so did I break the law (and if so which law?) or is that only the case if I'd paid an unqualified handyman to do it for me?

I installed my own replacement transformer when fitting the Nest Doorbell and found it to be a very straightforward plug and play type job

I agree that replacing a doorbell transformer is not a difficult task.
    In doing so did I break the law (and if so which law?) or is that only the case if I'd paid an unqualified handyman to do it for me?

If the transformer was installed in the distribution board (as is generally the case) you broke the law as this falls under the definition of "Restricted Electrical Works".

However if the doorbell transformer was installed outside the DB then you didn't as this would fall under the definition of "minor Electrical Works".

You can read about it here: https://safeelectric.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/REC-Factsheet-April-2016.pdf

That's just the way it is, please don't shoot the messenger!

If the transformer was installed in the distribution board (as is generally the case) you broke the law as this falls under the definition of "Restricted Electrical Works".

Oops :(
    That's just the way it is, please don't shoot the messenger!

Bang!

Oops :(

It’s a bit mad in my opinion.
    I’m a qualified electrician myself but according to the letter of the law I am not permitted to work on the distribution board in my own home because I am not registered. I don’t know how the authorities think they can police this, regardless that is the official position
    Bang!

You missed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Luckylow10

The cost of the transformer is around €9-€15 depending where u go. If needed, a new chime €20. And then €85 call out. If u have a wired doorbell already it shouldn’t be more than an hours work. I got a guy off the nest website. (I received quotes of around €200-€250)

I ended up paying €160 but that was two call outs as the first nest was faulty and he also did other small work for me so shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/OWSOO-Power-Supply-Adapter-Doorbell/dp/B07HK2B2X1

MIght be useful and use a google home mini to announce the door bell is pressed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

dingding wrote:
    MIght be useful and use a google home mini to announce the door bell is pressed.

That's what I have I've three speaker in the house they are my chime.

My buzzer is working intermittently. I have to have a look at it

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

dingding wrote: »
    https://smile.amazon.co.uk/OWSOO-Power-Supply-Adapter-Doorbell/dp/B07HK2B2X1

Curious if it works for the hello. One review says it doesn't....

Anyone with a Nest Hello Doorbell added a Nest Cam IQ indoor to create a motion activated CCTV/Security type system? Like most I have the Hello Doorbell on the front door which means I have the whole front of house covered so I'm thinking a Nest Cam IQ indoor located over the internal door in the main family room (with the items a thief would likely go for such as LED TV, Laptop, Tablet etc) in such a way that it not only captures someone walking through the internal door but it will also capture the only rear/external door at the back of the house thus capturing the most likely entry points for a burglar and even if they break in through an upstairs or downstairs window they'll likely walk into the living room and be captured by the indoor camera.

Any thoughts? Can the Nest Cam IQ indoor be purchased from the UK site? (I keep getting diverted to the US site)

Cheers.

• Advertisement

Anyone with a Nest Hello Doorbell added a Nest Cam IQ indoor to create a motion activated CCTV/Security type system? Like most I have the Hello Doorbell on the front door which means I have the whole front of house covered so I'm thinking a Nest Cam IQ indoor located over the internal door in the main family room (with the items a thief would likely go for such as LED TV, Laptop, Tablet etc) in such a way that it not only captures someone walking through the internal door but it will also capture the only rear/external door at the back of the house thus capturing the most likely entry points for a burglar and even if they break in through an upstairs or downstairs window they'll likely walk into the living room and be captured by the indoor camera.

Any thoughts? Can the Nest Cam IQ indoor be purchased from the UK site? (I keep getting diverted to the US site)

Cheers.
    I have the iq indoor cam but how do you intend using motion trigger? Sensor to turn on the cam? Ours is set to come on when our phones are out of the house

Advertisement