Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is wrong with me?

• 17-02-2019 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

I'm 30, and I haven't been in a proper relationship in about 9 or 10 years.

I feel so, so alone at the moment, and many of my friends are getting married and having children so while I'm happy for them, every new engagement and baby announcement reminds me of everything I haven't got.

I have loads of friends and I have absolutely no trouble making male friends - but for some reason they don't want anything more. I have two hobbies that are quite male dominated so I meet new guys regularly through them but they don't seem attracted to me/ don't see me that way.

I am an average/ normal looking woman - neither repulsive nor beautiful. Average height, neither slim nor fat (size 12-14), dark hair, decent skin, look fairly young for my age. Lost a bit of weight this year and could do with losing a bit more. I'm not really interested in clothes and makeup at all, but I've been trying to make more of an effort in the last year.

I have quite a big personality, and people often mix that up with confidence. I can be quite loud at times without realising it, and I love telling stories. I'm often described as both intelligent and funny - but I wonder are these characteristics men are looking for?

I've had some really bad experiences on apps over the last couple of years and I feel totally drained with it. I have ended up in a number of "friends with benefits" situations with guys who I was attracted to but who "weren't looking for a relationship". On several occasions, those same guys were in a relationship with someone else a couple of months later.

I have a good job and I'm financially independent, would always offer (and mean it genuinely) to go halves on a first date. I don't know if this is actually a turn off for men?

There are certain mistakes I know I make - I get very excited and hopeful if I do meet with someone I seem to click with, I start thinking "this is it - finally!" and I think I come across too keen. But there's a part of me that thinks when it's the right guy, he'll be as keen as I am and that won't matter? Or is that just a scene from a romantic comedy?

I don't drink and lately I think this is more of a factor than I had previously thought. Alcohol seems to lubricate a lot of the awkwardness of the first few dates for others?

I don't have the best mental health either, but I know plenty of people in the same boat who have managed to find relationships, and I work on it every week in two different types of therapy.

Every article I read tells me self-love is the key, but none of them tell me how to achieve it. I feel lost, broken and worthless (not to mention ugly). The other day I was overpowered by the thought that I might never find anyone, and spend the next 50 or so years on this planet alone.

What can I do differently? What is it about me that can easily attract male friends but not romantic partners?

How do I improve myself, and where do I find decent guys?

I know some really bitter older women who never found love, and I would truly hate to become one of them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭aloneforever99

We always hear how important our formative years are... I grew up in a home where my Dad was abusive (verbally/emotionally) to my Mam and my Mam was very bitter and passive aggressive towards him.

I don't ever remember them getting on or having any affection for each other, loving each other, I've never seen a photo of their wedding day. They are still together to this day, even though they basically can't stand each other.

There was a lot of fighting in the house growing up, and (I believe) as a result of that, I'm quite an argumentative person. I'm very emotional at times. My feelings are easily hurt.

As I posted on another thread, I've been single for almost 10 years and I wonder if this is the root of why I find it so difficult to form loving relationships.

I've been in therapy for years but progress is very slow and I wonder if it is really possible to rewrite your story at 30 when you've lived this experience your whole life.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 CALI

I’ve no words of wisdom OP as I’m in the same boat but at 40. It’s great that you are trying to get a handle on all this now as I should have done at your age. Suddenly you’re 40 and no decent men are interested in you. I realise I sound bitter but it’s so difficult to be young at heart, still attractive (or so I’m told) yet men look at you as past your sell by date. I really did not expect things to change so dramatically. I’m deleting the dating apps as they are ruining my self confidence at the moment. Best of luck OP, you’re in the prime of your life to meet someone so keep plugging away. I do think there’s something to be said for people feeling like the have so much choice they don’t really want to settle with any one person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Daisy78

You mention that the guys you showed interest in ended up in relationships some months later. What type of women did they end up going out with? I’m not saying you should compare yourself with them necessarily but it might give you an indication of what might not be working for you. For example you say you are not into clothes or makeup and have male orientated hobbies, if these ended up dating very glamorous girly type women then perhaps they might not be your target audience so to speak. I do believe that people can meet at any age (and at 30 you are practically a child in the dating world though you might not believe it) but I think as we get older we may have to adjust our expectations somewhat and be a bit more open minded as to the type of guy/girl we would consider dating. If it’s clear a guy is only interested in something platonic then I’d move on, wasting emotional energy on someone like that will affect your self esteem. As for dating apps, I think the way to go is continue using them but temper your expectations as to potential outcomes, that way you won’t be too disappointed when things don’t turn out the way you want them to.

Daisy78 wrote: »
    You mention that the guys you showed interest in ended up in relationships some months later. What type of women did they end up going out with? I’m not saying you should compare yourself with them necessarily but it might give you an indication of what might not be working for you. For example you say you are not into clothes or makeup and have male orientated hobbies, if these ended up dating very glamorous girly type women then perhaps they might not be your target audience so to speak. I do believe that people can meet at any age (and at 30 you are practically a child in the dating world though you might not believe it)

Quite hard to believe it tbh when all my friends are getting engaged/ married. Particularly when I've been single for so long... since college... all of my adult life really. It makes me feel like something is specifically wrong with me.

In most cases I haven't met the new gf/ don't know anything about her, but where I do it does seem to be that they are more physically attractive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Mod note:

OP welcome to PI/RI. However please be aware that it is against the forum charter to start multiple threads at once. Therefore I have I have merged your 2 threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Lots of women have the same issue. You're far from alone. It honestly feels like if you're not lucky enough to meet someone in your twenties and marry them by 29-30, your chances get really slim. I was unfortunately very ill throughout my twenties, and still don't have great health, and find it really hard to meet people. I met a guy at 31, but ended up getting strung along, really. We had lots of fun together but he just had no interest in settling down and having a serious, long term relationship. I also look at other women and wonder how they have so much more than me. I think a lot of men these days just prefer to have casual flings and one night stands, and app culture has greatly contributed to that. I remember back when I was about 25, there were always those who wanted casual sex, but a good number of men wanted something serious and were willing to commit. I don't really see that anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

You sound perfectly fine to me. What are you looking for in a man (other than being willing to have a relationship with you)?

Plopsu wrote: »
    You sound perfectly fine to me. What are you looking for in a man (other than being willing to have a relationship with you)?

Intelligence is important to me. Similar values. And kindness. A sense of humour. I won't pretend looks don't matter but they are not the most important thing to me by a long way.

It feels like I'm asking for a lot there, but it shouldn't be, really?

Intelligence is important to me. Similar values. And kindness. A sense of humour. I won't pretend looks don't matter but they are not the most important thing to me by a long way.

I wouldn't say that's asking for a lot at all. Pretty basic model romantic interest you're describing there. Are you approaching them or are they approaching you?

I wouldn't say that's asking for a lot at all. Pretty basic model romantic interest you're describing there. Are you approaching them or are they approaching you?

Because I don't drink I'm not out in bars and clubs a lot (also most of my friends are settled and have no interest) so I mostly meet men online through apps, most often Bumble.

So I reach out to them first (women have to send the first message on Bumble). The last time I met a guy in real life we dated for a few weeks and then it turned out he was also seeing another woman who he ended up in a relationship with for about six months.

When they broke up, he and I started sleeping together again but as friends with benefits. I know that's not a particularly good idea, but I enjoy sex and the comfort of sleeping next to someone occasionally.

• Advertisement

Because I don't drink I'm not out in bars and clubs a lot (also most of my friends are settled and have no interest) so I mostly meet men online through apps, most often Bumble.

So I reach out to them first (women have to send the first message on Bumble). The last time I met a guy in real life we dated for a few weeks and then it turned out he was also seeing another woman who he ended up in a relationship with for about six months.

When they broke up, he and I started sleeping together again but as friends with benefits. I know that's not a particularly good idea, but I enjoy sex and the comfort of sleeping next to someone occasionally.

Out of my depth so. I've never really understood the FWB thing. Isn't a friend you want to have sex with a boyfriend/girlfriend??
    Could you ask that guy why he saw you that way (as a FWB rather than girlfriend)? The answer might be difficult to hear but illuminating.

Out of my depth so. I've never really understood the FWB thing. Isn't a friend you want to have sex with a boyfriend/girlfriend??
    Could you ask that guy why he saw you that way (as a FWB rather than girlfriend)? The answer might be difficult to hear but illuminating.

It's actually a pattern over years. This has happened with numerous guys. In some cases it's 100% my fault i.e. getting involved with a guy who is not single, in others they just don't seem to see me as 'girlfriend material'.

I could ask him but I don't think I can do it right now, I'm so down at the moment about it I think the answer might break my heart.

I know it's hard seeing other people pairing off and thinking, "Why not me", but there are lots of good guys out there.
    Maybe look at the guys you've gone out with and see if there are any common patterns with the choices you make that are causing problems. Definitely don't get involved with a guy who's not single if you're looking for something more than sex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭heretothere

I'm the same age as you, it seems like a lot of my friends are in the same boat as you. I got lucky, and some of it really is down to luck, just the right place right time and being 'open' to meeting someone. I don't want to sound harsh but are you maybe coming across too strong? I've seen it happen, I know its not something you're doing on purpose.

I do think dating apps have a lot to answer for though, internet dating was just kicking off really when I meet my husband so I don't have experience of it, but I agree with others does it give people the sense that there will always be something better out there instead of really giving what they've found a go!

In saying all the above there are plenty of men in the 30 - 40 bracket looking to settle down I'm not saying rule out younger men just in general they're probably not going to be looking to settle down. You might just be going for the wrong sort of fella too, there is a lot to be said for the 'nice' guy.

I don't want to sound harsh but are you maybe coming across too strong? I've seen it happen, I know its not something you're doing on purpose.

Yes, I think this is a big part of it. I'm very independent and financially secure in my own right, I'm generally considered quite intelligent, I'm quite interested in current affairs and politics and have strong opinions in these areas and on things like human rights.

The thing is, if this is the problem, I'm screwed. I wouldn't know where to start with trying to change these things about myself and more to the point I don't think I should be changing these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

I can be quite loud at times without realising it, and I love telling stories.

OP, you sound like you have a great personality and are intelligent. The above stood out to me though. So you love telling stories but are you also a good listener? A good listener is one that people will always have time for.

Not saying you're like this but some people who tell stories without listening to others or are constantly talking can be draining on some people. Just something to note.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭heretothere

The thing is, if this is the problem, I'm screwed. I wouldn't know where to start with trying to change these things about myself and more to the point I don't think I should be changing these things.

Oh no, that's not what I meant. Don't go changing any of those things about yourself. I meant when you first start dating someone don't be texting all the time etc. Like any good fire it needs a bit of oxygen to get going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Hi OP I hope this finds you well.

'I'm quite interested in current affairs and politics and have strong opinions in these areas and on things like human rights.'

are you actively campaigning or is it moreso sharing via social media? If so what issues are you most impassioned about? You had mentioned human rights (is any topic specific?)

You're not asking for a lot at all. Just something everyone should hope to get.

Your friends, are they from school days or have you gained them through adulthood. How's your relationship with them? Do you share things in common?

If friendships were a solar system would you be orbiting someone else (i.e you're a planet/moon) or are your friends orbitting you (you're the sun)

I hope this Board is constructive for you. :)

Hi OP I hope this finds you well.

'I'm quite interested in current affairs and politics and have strong opinions in these areas and on things like human rights.'

are you actively campaigning or is it moreso sharing via social media? If so what issues are you most impassioned about? You had mentioned human rights (is any topic specific?)

I try to avoid it on social media but get sucked in sometimes. Generally speaking a lot of my friends would be involved in women's rights, LGBT rights, homeless rights, direct provision etc.

I feel like I really missed an opportunity during the 8th referendum because I didn't canvas - I was going through a difficult time with my own mental health and didn't think it was a good idea to get involved, but I feel like I would have met a lot of people on my own wavelength if I had.

If friendships were a solar system would you be orbiting someone else (i.e you're a planet/moon) or are your friends orbitting you (you're the sun)

I hope this Board is constructive for you. :)

This is another piece of the puzzle. I'm certainly more planet than sun. A lot of my friends are in very long term relationships so often they are the 'sun' who decide to do something and then others get involved like myself.

I lived in five cities in four countries during my 20s, so a lot of my closest friends are abroad. Particularly the single ones. I'm from down the country and lots of my friends from home/ school met partners and settled down really young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

We always hear how important our formative years are... I grew up in a home where my Dad was abusive (verbally/emotionally) to my Mam and my Mam was very bitter and passive aggressive towards him.

I don't ever remember them getting on or having any affection for each other, loving each other, I've never seen a photo of their wedding day. They are still together to this day, even though they basically can't stand each other.

There was a lot of fighting in the house growing up, and (I believe) as a result of that, I'm quite an argumentative person. I'm very emotional at times. My feelings are easily hurt.

As I posted on another thread, I've been single for almost 10 years and I wonder if this is the root of why I find it so difficult to form loving relationships.

I've been in therapy for years but progress is very slow and I wonder if it is really possible to rewrite your story at 30 when you've lived this experience your whole life.

From your posts, you seem fine, Im sure there are plenty of guys out there that would like to meet you, as a bloke I can say Id be more than happy to know of a woman with the qualities you mention, be even better to know that kind of thing when you meet them from my point of view, in many ways Id probably been the same when I was younger, but as a guy, similar family background, never thought Id meet anyone, didnt expect it, later on after being through failed relationships, realised I was looking for and at the wrong kind of people, maybe you're writing off guys who might be nice boyfriends?
    While I think its nice to have someone close to plan and do things together, its better (in hindsight) to not get it wrong and be stuck to the wrong person just for the sake of being married or in a permanent relationship, nothing is permanent really, do your own thing, I shouldnt have conformed too much and as I got a bit older I realised I diluted who I was and what I liked to fit in.
    A lot of guys really dont know what they want, I think maybe women too, some people think a relationship is the be all and end all to happiness, it can make happiness great or disappear altogether if they are difficult.
    I think its highly likely guys around the 30-30+ slightly age dont want permanent relationships for reasons not connected to you at all, I think its just the way things are. I certainly wouldnt be recommending married life and Im sure if the people/friends you know probably dont tell all about when things arent going so well. I think be who you want to be, easy to say and difficult to change circumstances, go and do the things you like or try new things, maybe you'll meet someone through common interests.
    What Ive come to beleive is you need to have some things in common, but overall have the same or similar values and goals, you can have different interests, I used to think people had to be almost opposites and they complement each other, but thats not really what Ive found.
    I dont know if you mean the therapy is related to your family history, mine used to get to me a lot, then I just accepted it and moved on, at times I think help/guidance/advice might have been nice but I didnt know if I really believed in it/wasnt as prevalent I think/didnt know where to get support. Take your own counsel and others, Im not suggesting stop therapy, but dont be so hard on yourself, I say that and I still am on myself, but less so than before.

Lots of women have the same issue. You're far from alone. It honestly feels like if you're not lucky enough to meet someone in your twenties and marry them by 29-30, your chances get really slim. I was unfortunately very ill throughout my twenties, and still don't have great health, and find it really hard to meet people. I met a guy at 31, but ended up getting strung along, really. We had lots of fun together but he just had no interest in settling down and having a serious, long term relationship. I also look at other women and wonder how they have so much more than me. I think a lot of men these days just prefer to have casual flings and one night stands, and app culture has greatly contributed to that. I remember back when I was about 25, there were always those who wanted casual sex, but a good number of men wanted something serious and were willing to commit. I don't really see that anymore.

Same for guys too really

• Advertisement

I know there are a lot of other single women (and men) out there but the fact that I haven't had any kind of relationship in so long really leads me to believe it's something that's wrong with me specifically.

I actually feel like I repel men.

Not as friends, not as sexual partners, but in terms of a relationship, I am not what they want.

I know there are a lot of other single women (and men) out there but the fact that I haven't had any kind of relationship in so long really leads me to believe it's something that's wrong with me specifically.

I actually feel like I repel men.

Not as friends, not as sexual partners, but in terms of a relationship, I am not what they want.

Dont think that way, that its you, its just could be the dating scene now I think and I consider it is likely the same for guys thinking they will never meet anyone, ten years ago I felt I was in the same place, your post could have me writing about myself, brief relationships or none at all, I tend to still believe it about myself but just accept people are different and some people will never understand others, mostly it seems some people are hardwired and programmed to follow a set routine and social networking and friends stuff online doesnt help in my opinion.
    Im on the cusp of a seperation and Im not afraid, I thought of posting in PI myself looking for advice, but Im actually relieved that I'll get to spend some time with myself and not have to put up with the kind of things a bad relationships can bring, I probably followed a pattern myself, I can understand if you've been single for a good while it can seem like the best thing since sliced bread, but it isnt always and you never know whats going on in peoples relationships.

At least you have friends, good friends are good to have and I think on that score women are better to each other than guys, I think blokes have a tendency to either be in select groups or drift away from each other, women can be more open and concerned about staying in touch. Its possible/maybe even likely the exact same things affect women and guys really.
    Hard to know what to say, but dont beat yourself up over it.

I try to avoid it on social media but get sucked in sometimes. Generally speaking a lot of my friends would be involved in women's rights, LGBT rights, homeless rights, direct provision etc.

I feel like I really missed an opportunity during the 8th referendum because I didn't canvas - I was going through a difficult time with my own mental health and didn't think it was a good idea to get involved, but I feel like I would have met a lot of people on my own wavelength if I had.

This is another piece of the puzzle. I'm certainly more planet than sun. A lot of my friends are in very long term relationships so often they are the 'sun' who decide to do something and then others get involved like myself.

I lived in five cities in four countries during my 20s, so a lot of my closest friends are abroad. Particularly the single ones. I'm from down the country and lots of my friends from home/ school met partners and settled down really young.

The men you meet up with in a romantic sense, are they through the extended network of friends you mentioned here. Do you date these guys? Is there anyone you really fancy in these groups involved with your friends campaigns.

Or is it mostly men through bumble?

If it's mostly men through bumble, why these men? Do they differ much between the men you know in real life?

The men you meet up with in a romantic sense, are they through the extended network of friends you mentioned here. Do you date these guys? Is there anyone you really fancy in these groups involved with your friends campaigns.

Or is it mostly men through bumble?

If it's mostly men through bumble, why these men? Do they differ much between the men you know in real life?

Almost all of my friends are settled down and don't have a lot of single males in their social circles. On the odd occasion that there is one it can be very awkward as my friends will attempt to push me together with a guy who I have absolutely nothing in common with just because we're both single.

I haven't actually been out on a date in months. Before Christmas I got into this FWB situation that was ticking enough boxes that I haven't really been out with anyone else.

I was meant to meet a guy off Bumble for a drink on Valentine's - he had asked me out and confirmed, then sent a message the night before that said "you look different in some of your other photos and I'm not attracted to you. Goodbye."

This has shattered my confidence. As I said I'm a size 12-14 but I feel so fat at the moment I'm genuinely considering liposuction. Or a new wardrobe. Or laser hair removal. Or all of the above. I feel like men are more forgiving of women's personality flaws when they find her more attractive.

I think doing things yourself is underrated, I dont want to say just go out and own it like some nutty life coach thats bloody gorgeous and rich and doesnt actually have the concerns or problems of the people they advise, but I think go and do your own thing and enjoy yourself doing things you like, meeting someone could come after that, 30 seems so young, what Id do to go back to 35. I never heard of bumble before, Id heard of meetup, and I think its based more around friends and common interests that dating, that might be better, personally I think I could take the criticism and laugh or smile it off, if they dont like you to hell with them, go out and do what you like and enjoy.
    I dont know anything about lipo, but there are parkwalk/runs and I think its possibly a better option than surgery, doing exercise has other benefits, supposedly and I believe its true is that it helps release endorphins that make you feel good, now Im not certain I felt the high in the way other people explained it, or they were overstating it, so at least not to such an extent that it overcame the pain of burning legs and lungs, but exercise is a good thing you can do in stages, you dont need to run a marathon on the first try, and I believe a moderate bit of weights exercises is beneficial rather than just a lot of cardio, but any exercise is better than nothing ( I say that and Im too busy to walk my dog) there are probably meetups to do that, just go at your own pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Are you in Dublin?

Could be a simple case of numbers. More eligible ladies than fellas in Dublin was always my feeling.

Head down to Cork - plenty of lonely lads fed up with the supply down there.

I used to be one. :)

Almost all of my friends are settled down and don't have a lot of single males in their social circles. On the odd occasion that there is one it can be very awkward as my friends will attempt to push me together with a guy who I have absolutely nothing in common with just because we're both single.

I haven't actually been out on a date in months. Before Christmas I got into this FWB situation that was ticking enough boxes that I haven't really been out with anyone else.

I was meant to meet a guy off Bumble for a drink on Valentine's - he had asked me out and confirmed, then sent a message the night before that said "you look different in some of your other photos and I'm not attracted to you. Goodbye."

This has shattered my confidence. As I said I'm a size 12-14 but I feel so fat at the moment I'm genuinely considering liposuction. Or a new wardrobe. Or laser hair removal. Or all of the above. I feel like men are more forgiving of women's personality flaws when they find her more attractive.

I find online dating and apps just so incredibly toxic. There are a lot of very nasty people on there who seem to get a kick out of ruining women's self esteem. There's no reason to say 'I'm not attracted to you' other than to hurt you and destroy you. He could have easily made up an excuse. There's something so grim and sad about putting yourself on app to be swiped on and 'chosen' and judged. I don't think it's a coincidence that there's more depression and anxiety around than ever before. Dating is supposed to be fun. You're supposed to enjoy meeting people. How is any of this fun?

I would focus my efforts on doing things you genuinely enjoy. Going to meetups, classes, branching out and meeting new people. Aim to meet friends, rather than potential boyfriends. I've always found that works far better than apps. At the very least you're enjoying yourself, being productive and getting out there. If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭santana75

I don't have the best mental health either, but I know plenty of people in the same boat who have managed to find relationships, and I work on it every week in two different types of therapy.

Op you're tying yourself in knots. You're thinking about liposuction, hair removal, you're going to two different forms of therapy every week, you're second guessing your own personality and wondering if men are attracted to this or that.........that'd wear anyone out. Whoever told you that self love was the answer was telling you the truth. And I know you dont know what that means, but can I suggest that instead of trying to contort yourself into something that you might think is more romantically pleasing to men, that you might look more into the concept of loving yourself. Forget about dating, FWB, apps, all that jazz. Forget about the whole thing. Call off the search and call off the self analysis. Theres a book by Gay Hendricks thats called "How to love yourself" and everything you'll ever need to know about self love is in there. And its ridiculously simple. Its not a long book, its quite short, but its central concept is very easy to follow but for someone like yourself, who seems very much lost in their own thinking, it might be a challenge for you.
    So please ditch all this nonsense because like I said you're doing nothing only tying yourself in knots and digging psychological holes that are deeper and deeper. Cut back on the therapy. Seriously you dont need it. You have to trust in yourself, not a therapist. And you can trust in yourself, you just have to take that chance and remove the safety net of therapists or multiple therapists.
    Theres nothing wrong with you. The only thing wrong is that you think theres something wrong. But what happens when you start to actually develop a relationship with yourself is that you start to see the truth about yourself, other people and life. And you'll see that there was nothing wrong with you to begin with. Thats self love and when you cultivate self love within yourself all of a sudden the things that seemed so out of reach(like romantic relationships)fall into your lap because you are genuinely at the point where you dont need them. Yes you will get to the point where you wont need a romantic relationship and the irony is that when you do get to that point, romantic relationships will come to you. As you are, without you fixing yourself or getting liposuction or whatever. And I know you dont really believe that and thats ok, because you dont have to right now. All you need to do is to learn the art of loving and accepting yourself. If you put your energy into that and take it away from thinking about having a boyfriend or husband or trying to make yourself into something that you arent, then you'll see some real changes.

santana75 wrote: »
    Op you're tying yourself in knots.

I cried reading your post Santana. I know that you're right. It's just hard. I don't think I can give up therapy right now - I have a bunch of other problems with my family at the moment, but I see what you mean.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Why do you think there's something wrong with you? It's highly unlikely that there is.

I would have a very similar dating past - huge gaps between relationships. I would be lying if I said it didn't bother me at times but they were rare.

A few years ago, I started replying to well intented comments - like "you'll meet someone soon with" with "anyone you can think of?"

As a result, I went on lots of dates, friends of friends, colleagues of friends, a guy who plays 5 aside with my brother. None worked out but it was fun.

I've met someone recently & early days, might last, might not but if it doesn't it's not the end of the world. I'm happy enough with myself regardless of what the future holds.

Appreciate yourself, love yourself and go easy on yourself. It starts with you, become happy with yourself first.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

...I have quite a big personality, and people often mix that up with confidence. I can be quite loud at times without realising it...

Just wondering, do you think that your loudness might act as a barrier to men, you might be hiding behind it? Years ago, I used to hide my nerves behind humour, and found it hard to stop when I was with a girl I liked.

Finally, might mindfulness meditation help you to relax?

Right, (cracks knuckles and swigs coffee) here we go.

Start of with deleting/creating a new instagram to go with 'new image' you. Honestly i'd say ditch social media but the reality is sometimes it's viewed upon as something outside normal if you don't sign up to it. (i firmly disagree but this is what society tells me)

Secondly, get rid of your bumble for the moment.

Thirdly; forget liposuction. If you're considering this then i'm to believe that you feel you're carrying a bit extra.
    Reduce intake (or moderate it with healthy diet) and increase output (exercise) specifically the more annoying things, sit ups, squats and press ups with an effort to go walking more. (apps help alot in this area i find as they prompt you to exercise)

It may be the case that you don't even have to lose weight but instead firm out those areas.

Fourth: With regards to political and social leanings, take a big step back and make this your private thing (not the worlds thing). This is a red flag for me and friends of mine. Just like perhaps maybe some ladies don't fancy guys that are overly into mixed martial arts/rugby or GAA I feel some of us average centerist guys (who are the majority) do not like politics/identity politics at all. Anything with activisim of left or right is viewed by some as a bit outside of norm.

I know alot of people that don't even watch the news because it's too political (I take issue with this as I like watching it but that my problem ;) )

Back to your new social media, fill it with things like nice walks, trips to cliffs/beaches, occasional pics of food, funny non political memes, No Quotes about being positive!! (this is tiresome for everyone) ,instead have pictures of your progress which is real positivity. No politics/social movements.

When you do decide you're ready for the world; try and find dates with people that you have fav movies/books in common. Take them on a fun date to the Science Gallery (if you're in dublin) and have a coffee. Great one for me is to go to the national art gallery in Kilmainham hospital, abstract art (ask your dates what do you see in this picture, tell him what you see, it's a very good conversation piece that's also funny sometimes)

Oh and keep your personality, you've been working at it all your life. Don't change this. There's a reason you have friends and colleagues. Because you're a good socialable person that is relatable.

But really the amount of self worth and positivity you'll get from exercise isn't to be underrated, this is the key thing to working on most of the areas you addressed. Also yoga is nice once you get past the first couple of attempts. Nothing like a good stretch to get rid of the bad.

Right, (cracks knuckles and swigs coffee) here we go.

Start of with deleting/creating a new instagram to go with 'new image' you. Honestly i'd say ditch social media but the reality is sometimes it's viewed upon as something outside normal if you don't sign up to it. (i firmly disagree but this is what society tells me)

Secondly, get rid of your bumble for the moment.

Thirdly; forget liposuction. If you're considering this then i'm to believe that you feel you're carrying a bit extra.
    Reduce intake (or moderate it with healthy diet) and increase output (exercise) specifically the more annoying things, sit ups, squats and press ups with an effort to go walking more. (apps help alot in this area i find as they prompt you to exercise)

It may be the case that you don't even have to lose weight but instead firm out those areas.

Fourth: With regards to political and social leanings, take a big step back and make this your private thing (not the worlds thing). This is a red flag for me and friends of mine. Just like perhaps maybe some ladies don't fancy guys that are overly into mixed martial arts/rugby or GAA I feel some of us average centerist guys (who are the majority) do not like politics/identity politics at all. Anything with activisim of left or right is viewed by some as a bit outside of norm.

I know alot of people that don't even watch the news because it's too political (I take issue with this as I like watching it but that my problem ;) )

Back to your new social media, fill it with things like nice walks, trips to cliffs/beaches, occasional pics of food, funny non political memes, No Quotes about being positive!! (this is tiresome for everyone) ,instead have pictures of your progress which is real positivity. No politics/social movements.

When you do decide you're ready for the world; try and find dates with people that you have fav movies/books in common. Take them on a fun date to the Science Gallery (if you're in dublin) and have a coffee. Great one for me is to go to the national art gallery in Kilmainham hospital, abstract art (ask your dates what do you see in this picture, tell him what you see, it's a very good conversation piece that's also funny sometimes)

Oh and keep your personality, you've been working at it all your life. Don't change this. There's a reason you have friends and colleagues. Because you're a good socialable person that is relatable.

But really the amount of self worth and positivity you'll get from exercise isn't to be underrated, this is the key thing to working on most of the areas you addressed. Also yoga is nice once you get past the first couple of attempts. Nothing like a good stretch to get rid of the bad.

So she has to dumb herself down and not talk about something really important to her so she can find a man? This is what I've long suspected, but it's depressing to see in black and white. I have to say, I wouldn't have any time for someone who doesn't follow current affairs because it's too 'political'. I'd die alone with my cat before I'd tolerate that sh1te.

So she has to dumb herself down and not talk about something really important to her so she can find a man? This is what I've long suspected, but it's depressing to see in black and white. I have to say, I wouldn't have any time for someone who doesn't follow current affairs because it's too 'political'. I'd die alone with my cat before I'd tolerate that sh1te.

Well there's nothing wrong with being a massive, passionate Jazz fan but it the person you're on a date with isn't and you spend most of the night talking about jazz, then they're likely to think, "Nope, not for me". If they get to know you a bit before your jazzmania becomes apparent, they may react differently. Obviously, if you're that into jazz, you should probably find somebody else who is.
    There's no mention of dumbing herself down in the post you quoted, just presenting herself differently.

Well there's nothing wrong with being a massive, passionate Jazz fan but it the person you're on a date with isn't and you spend most of the night talking about jazz, then they're likely to think, "Nope, not for me". If they get to know you a bit before your jazzmania becomes apparent, they may react differently. Obviously, if you're that into jazz, you should probably find somebody else who is.
    There's no mention of dumbing herself down in the post you quoted, just presenting herself differently.

I'm not sure you can compare jazz and current affairs. Jazz is a musical taste, maybe a hobby. Current affairs affects everyone. Not being able to discuss them or politics would certainly make me feel like I was dumbing myself down. And lads not liking women with strong political opinions isn't a million miles away from not liking women with strong opinions, full stop. Makes me uncomfortable. There's a whiff of 'sit down and look pretty there now, love, don't be worrying your head with that stuff' about it, whatever you might say.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure you can compare jazz and current affairs. Jazz is a musical taste, maybe a hobby. Current affairs affects everyone. Not being able to discuss them or politics would certainly make me feel like I was dumbing myself down. And lads not liking women with strong political opinions isn't a million miles away from not liking women with strong opinions, full stop. Makes me uncomfortable. There's a whiff of 'sit down and look pretty there now, love, don't be worrying your head with that stuff' about it, whatever you might say.

Jazz was an example. Strong opinions when you're talking to somebody you already have a relationship/friendship with are received very differently from the same opinion when talking to somebody you've just met.
    I can pretty much guarantee that men expressing strong political opinions on a first date would be unlikely to lead to a second one. I dunno, maybe we should all just sit down and look pretty.

Jazz was an example. Strong opinions when you're talking to somebody you already have a relationship/friendship with are received very differently from the same opinion when talking to somebody you've just met.
    I can pretty much guarantee that men expressing strong political opinions on a first date would be unlikely to lead to a second one. I dunno, maybe we should all just sit down and look pretty.

But it's not comparable to something like politics. I get your point, but politics shapes all of our lives in a way jazz doesn't. And unless you're a woman who has been on the receiving end of comments about being 'outspoken' and 'too opinionated', I don't think you can really understand how frustrating it is. I actually do think it would be easier to find a partner by not being openly political or having strong opinions, but then you're compromising a big part of who you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I can see both sides with the politics thing. Maybe it's something that's a bit like the issues with online dating in that it's kind of specific to right now. The current political climate nationally and globally is so disheartening and riddled with conflict that people are sick of the subject.

I have strong political opinions, I take part in activism but if someone I've just met or am only acquainted with starts on about it my reaction generally is "oh god can we not just have a fcuking pint". And these are people whose views broadly match my own.

Didn't it used to be considered pretty poor form to talk politics in most casual settings?

That said, I don't think it's wise or fair to hide your passion for something to try and be more attractive to men, it's really just a general issue of tact and politeness.

Like you arrive at a second date say, he says "So, what did you get up to this week?"

"Oh I went to they gym, finished off a project at work, I went to a meeting for an activist group I'm involved with, we're lobbying local politicians about exclusion zones around abortion provision, how was your week?"

I don't think anyone would have a problem with that kind of thing. But

'We're lobbying local politicians about exclusion zones around abortion provision, it's going well, did you hear about that clinic up in Longford, god these pro-life people are vicious, they're in the pocket of the church, so hypocritical. There are American groups coming over here finding and training them..." etc etc.

I 100% agree with everything in the above paragraph but I wouldn't be bringing it up on a fun hang out. And if someone else did I'd be changing the subject.

For certain issues, particularly women's rights, people and especially men who are broadly supportive but not super informed are going to be cautious in those conversations, especially with someone they don't know well.

I'm not saying change your views, hide your views or make any apologies for them, but don't be throwing conversational booby traps out in front of yourself.

But it's not comparable to something like politics. I get your point, but politics shapes all of our lives in a way jazz doesn't. And unless you're a woman who has been on the receiving end of comments about being 'outspoken' and 'too opinionated', I don't think you can really understand how frustrating it is. I actually do think it would be easier to find a partner by not being openly political or having strong opinions, but then you're compromising a big part of who you are.

Gasp! Did you just assume my gender?? :pac:

It doesn't matter what the strong opinions are about. It's bringing them up with somebody you've just met that's the problem.
    If somebody thinks you're too opinionated, then they're entitled to do that. Nobody's obliged to like anybody. If they do think that then they weren't the person you were looking for (I am assuming that you're looking for somebody who doesn't think that) and you weren't the person they were looking for. Sucks. Happens.
    As I said above a man presenting strong opinions on a first date is unlikely to proceed to a second. In that case, though, he's more likely to be referred to as too intense rather than too opinionated.

Gasp! Did you just assume my gender?? :pac:

It doesn't matter what the strong opinions are about. It's bringing them up with somebody you've just met that's the problem.
    If somebody thinks you're too opinionated, then they're entitled to do that. Nobody's obliged to like anybody. If they do think that then they weren't the person you were looking for (I am assuming that you're looking for somebody who doesn't think that) and you weren't the person they were looking for. Sucks. Happens.
    As I said above a man presenting strong opinions on a first date is unlikely to proceed to a second. In that case, though, he's more likely to be referred to as too intense rather than too opinionated.

Yes, I did. Are you a woman?

I'm not disagreeing with you re strong opinions. But you weren't just talking about the first date. You were talking about anytime. And I do think you're right. I'm pretty sure that if I took no interest in current affairs and tried to be 'mainstream' and watch the rugby in the pub and went shopping with the girls that I'd have more success both making friends and meeting a partner. I tried it in my twenties, but it just doesn't work. One day you wake up and realise you've lost yourself. Now I tend to meet like-minded people at the meetups I go to, and while it might be harder to meet partners this way than hopping on Tinder, I think there's a far better chance of long term success.

• Advertisement

Yes, I did. Are you a woman?

I'm not disagreeing with you re strong opinions. But you weren't just talking about the first date. You were talking about anytime. And I do think you're right. I'm pretty sure that if I took no interest in current affairs and tried to be 'mainstream' and watch the rugby in the pub and went shopping with the girls that I'd have more success both making friends and meeting a partner. I tried it in my twenties, but it just doesn't work. One day you wake up and realise you've lost yourself. Now I tend to meet like-minded people at the meetups I go to, and while it might be harder to meet partners this way than hopping on Tinder, I think there's a far better chance of long term success.

No, Lainey, I'm not a woman. That was a joke.

Where exactly was I "talking about anytime"? Can you quote it (cause I though I was being very specific)?

Of course people who are mainstream have an easier time. That's why it's called mainstream because they make up the bulk of people. More people equals more possibilities. Gotta stay true to yourself but it's always a harder path to walk. The way you're going sounds like the right way to me and probably what the OP should try.

No, Lainey, I'm not a woman. That was a joke.

Where exactly was I "talking about anytime"? Can you quote it (cause I though I was being very specific)?

Of course people who are mainstream have an easier time. That's why it's called mainstream because they make up the bulk of people. More people equals more possibilities. Gotta stay true to yourself but it's always a harder path to walk. The way you're going sounds like the right way to me and probably what the OP should try.

I know you're not. That was my point. I don't think it translates very well through text.

You're right, you didn't say that, it was the poster I was originally replying to. I didn't realise you weren't that poster. Apologies.

I think a lot of non-mainstream people try to be mainstream for an easier life. I know I did. I was in a six-year relationship trying to be someone I wasn't, and in the end it destroyed me. He didn't appreciate all my quirks and all the little things that someone more suited to me would have found endearing. He didn't appreciate the many, many sacrifices I made for the relationship (watching rugby in crowded pubs, going out all the time, spending all our money on drink) and resented the few things I asked of him. I asked him to spend New Years the way I wanted to spend it (cosy night in with the fire, fireworks on TV and champagne and nibbles), after six years of spending it with all his mates, and he found it a hardship. In the end, we just weren't compatible and should have recognised it sooner. It might be easier to be mainstream, but if you're not, you're not, and trying to change yourself never ends well.

I always think that it only takes one person. I might be out at one of my meetups and bump into that one person who laughs at my jokes and listens to my political rants and has some of his own and enjoys his alone time as much as I enjoy mine. And I'm more likely to meet him doing something I genuinely enjoy doing, where I'm at my best, than swiping through OK Cupid with a heavy heart trying to convince myself the lad in the rugby top with a picture of himself at Hooters might be a perfect match if I just gave him a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

Honestly, using multiple dating apps to find a life-long partner when you have mental health issues and aren't feeling the most confident in yourself is like dousing yourself in petrol and setting yourself on fire.

I know that sounds dramatic, but you need to really, really protect your mental health here and relying on Bumble / Tinder / whatever else to find something meaningful is certainly not the way.

I've recently been using ONE dating app, the one that advertises as the most "holistic" of them that isn't geared towards helping people to get their hole, and I've had to delete it because the bad dates, ghosting, hopes up and then being faded out with no explanation etc was really taking its toll. I thought, "you know what? I'd rather spend my weekends taking fitness classes and meeting the people I love and who love me and building myself up rather than being torn down by dates with guys that ultimately cause me either anxiety or pain" and that's an executive decision I've made in order to protect my own sanity, at least for now.

There's no harm in taking a break OP, and getting a bit creative around becoming a happier person and opening up opportunities to meet people in other ways.

I'd also say IME any "extremes" in the online world are going to be viewed negatively, unless you've got the looks of Jessica Alba which most of us don't. Men will forgive anything if you're in the top 5% of good-looking women, but again, that's not most of us.

"Extreme" includes being too political, too into your social issues, too loud, too forward, too keen. It's not a judgement OP, I'm a journalist so tend to be into my current affairs hardcore, I'm simply not going to click with someone who doesn't know the first thing about Brexit/Trump/the Middle East but at the same time I'm not going to use that as conversation prop because it's hard work and heavy-duty when you've met someone for the first time.

People have too many options these days and everything will be used as a reason to disengage, so if you're going to play that game, you need to be aware of what the pitfalls are.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭LolaJJ

Hey OP,

Am probably echoing a lot of what's been said already but I think it's the overall way you are looking at your status that is tripping you up.

Why should you need to be slimmer or stupider or not share your opinions. What's that going to bring you? Probably nothing, or someone you have very little in common with. Certainly not a meaningful relationship...

Stop trying to find personal attributes that are "wrong with you" and accept that nothing is wrong with you, you might have a few mental health vulnerabilities (who doesn't) but you're probably already ahead of the online-dating pack in terms of having an awareness of yourself where that's concerned.

I was single for ages, met someone amazing eventually but my BIGGEST regret during that period is all the time I spent worrying about ending up alone, dating eejits who wrecked my head because I was worried about a missed opportunity. It was only when I exhausted myself completely and realised that being alone was far better than having my head melted by a new guy every month that I actually met someone.... Because I went on a date thinking "It's your job to make ME like YOU, I'm quite happy to do this life thing alone". Honestly, I think a mindset change would serve you well!

Also, 30 is so young, relax, just enjoy life and don't waste too much energy on all this! It's not the be all and end all, honestly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Can I just say as well I'm your age and hardly ever been single and I was feeling pretty inadequate reading your posts. Lived in four foreign countries, plenty hobbies, well sorted financially? I'd love that! I guarantee you some of your engaged baby-having friends are looking at your life wistfully or jealously.

I agree getting off the apps is a good idea, you need to take a step back from this both for the sake of your sanity generally and because it seems to have hit a point where it's completely counterproductive. 30 is young, take a few months to be nice to yourself, enjoy your life and hobbies and people in it and then regroup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭2 fast

I know its cliche but it really does come down to the right time and place while being open to new things which you seem to be... Online dating is indeed very toxic, and most people need a break It can be great but unfortunately a lot of times you've to weed through the crap. Are you ruling guys out that aren't your usual type? Giving it a go with someone you mightn't usually pick, especially online could be the right guy, it happens a lot more than you'd think... You'd often hear stories of people saying they didn't like or wouldn't normally go for the person they ended up with... You mightn't think you're doing this but taking a step back and regrouping, may make you realise; are you going for a "type of person". I do think its harder if you're from the country as the pool is smaller and cliquish but not impossible. Best of luck x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

OP would I be right in saying you had a difficult relationship with your Dad? Some things are pointing to that in the men you choose. You seem to be going after unavailable men, both physically & emotionally.
    You mentioned in your post the difficult relationship your parents have, so I’m assuming this was also present with yourself.
    The relationship we have with our parents sets us up with any future romantic relationships. We choose people that will give us the similar setup we had as kids - whether dysfunctional or not. Unless we somehow break the dysfunction through something like therapy or self-awareness then we will keep choosing this type.
    Have a look at attachment styles. When I read about this the penny dropped for me so loudly, it made the sound of a boulder crashing through a table!
    I was practically tearing my hair out at why I couldn’t find an interested guy despite thinking I was the bees-knees! :D
    My problem was I was only interested in emotionally unavailable men - men who could never, ever give me what I wanted, men who just weren’t capable of it.
    I was actually sabotaging myself by choosing these men (unbeknownst to myself). It sounds like you are doing the same thing.
    So when I realised my pattern, I can take a step back. It’s actually not easy. It’s actually difficult to accept someone who ‘wants’ you and is not looking the other way. Going after someone who’s not that interested seems familiar and safe.
    Has this ever come up in your therapy sessions? It might be worth exploring anyway.

I also agree with the poster who says to really work on loving yourself. Life is just so much easier when you have that inner love for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭WrigleysExtra

Op how honest can we be with you?

Op how honest can we be with you?

Is this code for 'I'm going to say something really rude/mean to someone I really know nothing about'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi OP I read first few posts so not them all so forgive me if I overlooked something.

You come across very well & likeable. I'd advise not getting involved in FWB arrangements when it's not what your after. And I know this sounds Wrong & is wrong but have you thought about investing more time in your physical attractiveness to men (make over type thing). Men want lust (saying this being a man) & no matter how sound, interesting& fun they find a woman when dating the obviously want to be physically attracted to them. They want to want to get to it.

Just an idea from a random internet point of view but there you are. Unpopular I'm sure it is on threads like this. But just an idea. And for what it's worth I've seen both women & men do this with results in dating/love life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement