Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Skilled Migration Visa - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BrianDug

Cheers irishmover that's a good point, I'd have 65 points regardless so would not have much too much to worry about. Thanks for the response

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

BrianDug wrote: »
    Cheers irishmover that's a good point, I'd have 65 points regardless so would not have much too much to worry about. Thanks for the response

Well I haven't given you a definitive answer but it looks the most likely answer anyway. Good luck with the application!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Hey guys,

Does anyone have any experience of the 457 from the employers side?

I've been in talks with an employer about a job just west of Geelong. Its a finance/consultancy position, and I don't think the visa's parameters will be an issue for either of us.

Does anyone have any experience with the timeline from his business applying to be an eligible sponsor, nominating a position and then me applying for my side?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 NiallSORo

Theresalwaysone,

Based upon applications I have lodged recently, times to be picked up by a case officer are (all from lodgment date):

1. SBS approval: 2-3 weeks
    2. Nomination: 2-3 weeks
    3. Visa: 2-3 weeks

2 & 3 can be done concurrently.

Regards

Niall
    MARN1277929

Hi All

My prospective employer has asked for my previous visa details. At what stage of the application would these be requested?

What would the next stage be so I can preempt any further info needed?

Cheers

• Advertisement

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/457.aspx

'Visa Applicants' tab -> 'Document Checklist for Visa Applicants' gives a general picture of what you need.

Advice:If your occupation is subject to Labour Market Testing make sure your employer submits evidence of this at the time of nomination lodgement as DIBP are outright refusing nominations lodged without i.e. not giving a chance to provide it later.

Your previous visa grant # is required for the 457 application form, so needed prior to lodgement of that.

Niall
    MARN 1277929

NiallSORo wrote: »
    http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/457.aspx

'Visa Applicants' tab -> 'Document Checklist for Visa Applicants' gives a general picture of what you need.

Advice:If your occupation is subject to Labour Market Testing make sure your employer submits evidence of this at the time of nomination lodgement as DIBP are outright refusing nominations lodged without i.e. not giving a chance to provide it later.

Your previous visa grant # is required for the 457 application form, so needed prior to lodgement of that.

Niall
    MARN 1277929

Niall, you're a top man.

Many Thanks for that. My occupation requires a bachelors degree so as far as I am aware its exempt from LMO.

My occupation requires a bachelors degree so as far as I am aware its exempt from LMO.

Not strictly true - some Engineering and Nursing jobs do require LMT.
    As you mentioned, yours is a Finance job so all good on that front.

Niall O'Rourke
    MARN 1277929

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭linola_c

Guys, we were requested to fill in the Form 80s for both myself and my other half. I have only just realised that I have filled in my other half's employment history incorrect on the visa application and now the Form 80 will have different information.

This was just purely an administrative error on my part. I was taking it off his CV which we completed ages ago for his sponsorship visa and i missed a period on the dates and then filled in the incorrect employer for a certain time frame. I was concentrating on my information as I am in the main applicant!

Has anyone any experience in changing this? I am really worried about putting the Form 80s in and his information not adding up.

linola_c

If you've entered incorrect info on the visa application, simply fill in Form 1023 and upload it to your application on ImmiAccount (if applicable) or else send it along with your Form 80
    https://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1023.pdf

Niall O'Rourke
    MARN 1277929

• Advertisement

I haven't any experience with that but if you've got a Case officer I'd either call or email them. My case officer called me and explained that if anything is incorrect or has changed in my application to just get in touch and she'll get it fixed.

I wouldn't submit it without explaining why it's different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Use this form to make any corrections in the information.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1022.pdf

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Use this form to make any corrections in the information.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1022.pdf

Would that work in this case? That's for change of circumstance whereas this person put false information on their form by mistake.

Would be handy if it worked for both.

irishmover wrote: »
    Would that work in this case? That's for change of circumstance whereas this person put false information on their form by mistake.

Would be handy if it worked for both.

for that

Use 1023 https://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1023.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭linola_c

That's the one thank you!!

linola_c wrote: »
    That's the one thank you!!

Tick visa application and write in the notes that's its an amendment for Form 80 as it's not one of the options given.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Tick visa application and write in the notes that's its an amendment for Form 80 as it's not one of the options given.
    But it's not form 80 that they need to amend.
    They are only filling out form 80 now.

OP, Just note that some dates were wrong on the original, and relist the whole work history-

Mellor wrote: »
    But it's not form 80 that they need to amend.
    They are only filling out form 80 now.

Ah yeah I see now its the application is wrong, that makes it even more simple just tick visa application @ Q12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Hi all, was about to go through the Aus Immi site, but it's a speculative enquiry now about a 457 visa.
    I wouldn't be getting sponsored but would be interested in looking at potential jobs opportunities there, and realise I would have to probably have a visa first before even breaking into a sweat on Google...?

seachto7 wrote: »
    Hi all, was about to go through the Aus Immi site, but it's a speculative enquiry now about a 457 visa.
    I wouldn't be getting sponsored but would be interested in looking at potential jobs opportunities there, and realise I would have to probably have a visa first before even breaking into a sweat on Google...?

Not 100% sure this is what you are asking but - yes, it's notoriously difficult (but not unheard of) to obtain 457 sponsorship prior to arriving in Australia. There is nothing stopping you from trying though. Try seek.com.au and applydirect.com.au with 457 as one of the keywords.

• Advertisement

Hmmm, cheers for that. I will look into it. Thought what I do is on the skills shortage list, I'm not sure I would be super duper employable over an Aussie.

Other option is to just apply for a 457, correct?

Hmmm, cheers for that. I will look into it. Thought what I do is on the skills shortage list, I'm not sure I would be super duper employable over an Aussie.

Other option is to just apply for a 457, correct?

You need an employer Nomination reference to apply for a 457, you have to get a job offer first and then the employer has meet the criteria and sponsorship costs before you can apply.

Ah, I understand. Thanks for clearing it up. I was under the assumption I could apply for a certain type of visa, then, if it were granted, I could then apply for jobs within a certain time frame. Don't ask me how I came up with that!

Ah, I understand. Thanks for clearing it up. I was under the assumption I could apply for a certain type of visa, then, if it were granted, I could then apply for jobs within a certain time frame. Don't ask me how I came up with that!

You can do that for 189 and 190 visas, you don't even have to work in your occupation.

Thanks for that. Food for thought. Coming to the end of my masters and really trying to decide what my next move should be. It's looking likely it won't be on Irish shores.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

There are visas that allow you to do that. The 457 visa is probably the most restrictive visa to be on. It only allows you to work for one employer. Most people tend to work for a company for a period of time so they can suss the company out before you are tied to them so trying to find a company from the other side of the isnt always a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 oreilly09

Does anyone know if I can get an Aussie Passport, my father used to have one in the 60's and 70's lost it but in recent weeks got it back..........im not sure if it is re instated or whether or not he was just given a new one on the grounds of being ex army? im interested to know ....in any event on already on a nz family members visa here so its not a big deal......although long term an aussie passport would be a hughe benefit...............thanks in advance everyone :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

If your occupation is on the skilled occupation list whats the next thing to do if looking for a visa?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

shamrock55 wrote: »
    If your occupation is on the skilled occupation list whats the next thing to do if looking for a visa?

Unless you are prepared to do a lot more research than you appear to have done then the next step is to get in touch with a migration agent and get ripped off.

• Advertisement

oreilly09 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if I can get an Aussie Passport, my father used to have one in the 60's and 70's lost it but in recent weeks got it back..........im not sure if it is re instated or whether or not he was just given a new one on the grounds of being ex army? im interested to know ....in any event on already on a nz family members visa here so its not a big deal......although long term an aussie passport would be a hughe benefit...............thanks in advance everyone :-)

An Australian passport is only obtainable through Australian citizenship. Which means that your father is an Australian citizen now.

However, whether you can apply for citizenship in your own right depends on whether he was a citizen when you were born.

As a new user I cannot post urls but please google Australian Citizenship Act 2007 s.16(2) (austlii dot edu dot au site) to see if you may be eligible for citizenship by descent.

Niall O'Rourke
    MARN 1277929

Advertisement