Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,258 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yeah all these early big screens were multiple monitors. Same with those multiplayer Xmen games. Must be a pain in the face trying to calibrate them alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I built a 32k RAM expansion for my early issue 1 Sinclair Spectrum 16k from a PCB design I was sent which I've since uploaded here. I have 2 additional PCBs if anyone is interested.
    It's now a power house of a 48k machine now :D

Looks like this but with a purple PCB (I need to open up the Speccy for a photo);
    495988.jpg
    Worked first go :) well impressed. Cost wise, it was at-least half the cost of the real thing from eBay.

I plan on building a ZX Nuvo 128. Its a Speccy 128/+2/+3 clone. I have all the parts, just need time/energy.

and photos for anyone interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,068 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    and photos for anyone interested
    Such a neat fit. Would you have preferred a green pcb, or happy with purple?

I have a lovely plus 2 you could have in exchange for that old Issue One. Don't bother checking on prices, it's a fair swap, honest guv. ;) If you ever see any issue rubber key, in working order for around the thirty euro mark think of me. I had to sell my rubber key Issue Two when bills got too high.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Such a neat fit. Would you have preferred a green pcb, or happy with purple?

I have a lovely plus 2 you could have in exchange for that old Issue One. Don't bother checking on prices, it's a fair swap, honest guv. ;) If you ever see any issue rubber key, in working order for around the thirty euro mark think of me. I had to sell my rubber key Issue Two when bills got too high.

Purple is OK, ensures folks don't think its an original from Sinclair I guess.
    Keep an eye on eBay, quite a few rubber keyed 48ks go for just over that price - just ignore the BuyNow items

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Finally got a 6 button Megadrive adapter for my jammacon working. Using a CPLD to mimic the controller and seems to be completely accurate so far, all SMD components too so a bit of pain to assemble.

49260031721_c3427d06f9_c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Would anyone have this rom type handy, and be able to burn the correct file?? It's for a Konami xmen. Thanks!

DSC-1930.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Finally got a 6 button Megadrive adapter for my jammacon working. Using a CPLD to mimic the controller and seems to be completely accurate so far, all SMD components too so a bit of pain to assemble.

49260031721_c3427d06f9_c.jpg

Great work, and i presume this fits on the green Jammacon?
    Colour me interested for one.

eddhorse wrote: »
    Great work, and i presume this fits on the green Jammacon?
    Colour me interested for one.

Hmm depends on which version you have, will only fit on a V2 board - you can tell by the size of the daughter board connector (or the version number on the back).

Hmm depends on which version you have, will only fit on a V2 board - you can tell by the size of the daughter board connector (or the version number on the back).

Will take a look later thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

working on a jamma board repair, it's tricky to test having to hook it up to the jamma harness in the cab and power the cab up each time. I really need to get a super gun. Would anyone have any recommendations? They seem to vary in price on ebay from €50 to €300

you can make one with just a cheap psu (even a pc one) a and jamma loom and a few button!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

made a repro of the Taito pc030 custom IC used on Arkanoid, Bubble Bobble, Scramble Formation, Legend of Kage and other Taito pcbs . It's the big red IC that handles coin I/O on these boards. it breaks off easily and is often missing on these boards.

92637996_10158232529248276_6901448798933876736_o.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=84a396&_nc_ohc=ls0WXS9-_dwAX9zKZOP&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=bf516c7e7af7282ffade2f48d8a6c020&oe=5EB75FB6

o1s1n wrote: »
    She lives, SHE LIVES!!!
    IMG_20180314_213020189.jpg

Managed to get the unit to display on my monitor in Dev mode - which then allowed me to connect it to my PC via a network LAN and access the developer mode from an internet browser.

Used this to force it to boot in software mode (which is XMB)

Still wasn't getting any picture - then I realised the issue was my monitor again. Broke out the projector (which likes HDMI!) changed the PS3 to output VGA from HDMI and XMB appeared on the monitor.

The blueray drive doesnt want to accept discs (they'll insert on boot but don't do anything) - but that's another days problem!

Just got the DECR-1000A from o1s1n on Friday, shes the size/weight of a rack mount 2U server :) I have not so fond memories of balancing Dell servers on my head while rack/stacking them.
    After a quick tinkering with it, looks like the drive mech which accepts the disc is knackered. On a hunt now for a working early PS3 optical drive, don't really want to burst open my 60gb unit. The control board is fine so will just move that around so avoid the issues with the drive being paired with the unit which this might be.

Update: drive batch ordered up from eBay, just need the drive loading mech so those should sort that

Master of the Universe

Fair play dude! Be great to see it working properly again.

A lot of those units I've seen for sale seem to have the same problem with the optical disc drive. Having a slot type drive on a dev unit probably wasn't the best idea given their proneness to breaking and developers not exactly treating things with kid gloves.

On a site note, funny how much stuff we move on to each other via this forum - I don't own any of the main items in that photo anymore :D

DECR-1000A is with yourself, LMD is now in the possession of your bro and I think Dinorex has that BVM 1454D...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My games room is looking like something they will eventually find my dead body in.
    I just seem to be buying masses of great stuff, over the years.
    Then it just sits there, awaiting cataloging, as the room grows ever darker.

Raiders-of-the-Lost-Ark.gif?ssl=1

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    My games room is looking like something they will eventually find my dead body in.
    I just seem to be buying masses of great stuff, over the years.
    Then it just sits there, awaiting cataloging, as the room grows ever darker.

Raiders-of-the-Lost-Ark.gif?ssl=1
    Just move the collection to a new location, forces you to either display, play or bag up & sell what you have duplicates of or don't really want.

PS3 Dev system update - also found a dev controller and the WiFi antenna on fleeBay so that's also ordered

Have been doing lots of mods, repairs and tweaks during my extended locked in the office time.. Thankfully Farnell & Mouser are still delivering :)

Recapped a bunch of computers, have being doing a lot of work upgrading my Amigas and getting a good bit of use out of them in particular the A2000.

Respun all the Jammacon pcbs to use smd parts as getting thru-hole parts is getting much harder now, also got working prototype adapters for original Xbox and PS3.

Built a new rig for testing, basically its a supergun squeezed into the jamma connector but is a lot neater and more robust than my previously setup.
    Also built a new power supply for the desk which powers most things, outputs 5,9,12,-12 and 9ac so works with most console and computers I tend to use.

49809894648_8b8c238287_z.jpg

Made up a couple of test controller pads as well again for convenience, D-pad isn't brilliant but does a have nice NeoGeo clickyness about it :) Have a couple of blank pcbs for them if anyone wants them.

49810447996_50ac7105e7_z.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My gut says but some but I know they'd never be used!

My gut says but some but I know they'd never be used!

Ha ha I know the feeling, I been slowly flogging stuff I'm not using.

As for the controller pcbs, they're going free to whoever want them, the minimum order from the factory is more that I needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Is there a rom burning service in ireland at all?

Would be very handy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭barryribs

Has anyone tried the replacement N64 sticks from Zedlabz? My own are getting to the point of no return

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭nsi423

"Respun all the Jammacon pcbs to use smd parts as getting thru-hole parts is getting much harder now"

That's pretty cool! Where do you get the PCBs made? Do you do the SMD assembly yourself?

JLCPCB make the boards for me, good quality and quick enough service. Ya do all the assembly myself, smd isn't too bad once the parts aren't too small :)

sugarman wrote: »
    Dont know about zedlabz but Ive tried a dozen different ones and they all have deadzones and usually too stiff/clunky and nothing compared to the real thing.

I've successfully revived any of mine by doing the below

I think I'll try this with one of mine, and try the gamecube replacement for the other. I was never a fan of the stick on the n64 and mine are so loose now that theres about 20 degrees of movement on it without any response.

sugarman wrote: »
    If you're not a fan of the controller and want a GC style stick, look at the Brawler 64 or Retro Bit 64 controllers. I haven't tried them myself but they look decent from the reviews I've seen of them.

Alternatively there original Hori controller the Retro Bit is based off, but being 20+ years old they can also be a bit hit and miss condition wise and are a little on the pricy side.

The Brawler 64 looks great, I think I'll wait for their website to get back up and running rather than ordering the new analogue stick

Fenrir ODE is now available to pre order for Saturn.

https://8bitmods.com/fenrir/

SAT-FENRIR-MAIN__72950.1588156904.jpg?c=2

Watch out for compatibility as one of my Saturns wont take it.
    Supports all console regions (only for VA0, VA0.5 or VA1 consoles with a 20-pin drive).
    Type-1: VA0-VA1 (20-pin cable)
    ODE: Rhea
    CD-ROM drives:

JVC ENR-007B or D
    Hitachi JA0027
    NOTE: VA0 units have the power supply (PSU), buttons and LEDs attached to the upper case.

type-1-saturn-va1.jpg?w=300&h=264

Good details on that here :
    https://gdemu.wordpress.com/details/saturn-details/

Amiga work continues, this time my old A500 getting a few bits done.

Full recap to the A500, repaired battery leakage on a A501 memory expansion and added a A590 hard disk I got recently. Bit of sunshine over the last few days cleaned up the A590 nicely and I'd an old 40MB SCSI drive to throw in it.

All working great now, boots for the harddrive, got whopping 3MB RAM installed and keeps the time :)

49879896786_b5accfb695_z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

While in lock down I've been catching up on some old projects I put aside over the years. The latest is to finally get a solid state drive inside my iMac G3(bondi blue).

I decided on the below CF to IDE interface. I have a load of the normal CF-IDE adaptors laying around that I've used on Amiga's, but I got this one as it allows both that larger 40 pin IDE(which i need for the MAC) as well as the normal smaller 44 pin(Amiga, laptops). Definitely recommended if your looking to convert an older PC or MAC to CF and need the option of having both the 40 and 44 pin headers.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0026OYEEQ/

mei8Qt5.jpg

O9WRhWG.jpg

• Advertisement

It's that day of the year again when we've enough sun to do a bit of retrobrighting. I got these a while ago and though it time to clean them up.

Ya not in great shape, top cover is the worse piece in a lovely shade of Devils colon.

49916552728_8c2e12bb9e_z.jpg

One manky controller as well, second one wasn't too bad, assembled one is my own just for colour reference.

49917067196_314037e85e_z.jpg

So after 2 days treatment, things are looking much better :) Controllers are perfect, top piece still a bit off I might give it another go but fairly happy with the overall result.

49917067126_c955c16a74_z.jpg

Master of the Universe

Decided to go on a bit of an adventure this evening to see if I could get my N64 DD to read disks. Thought an attempt at cleaning the heads with some isopropyl would be handy enough.

Took the whole thing apart, everything was going fine, cleaned the heads, put it back together - no noise from the drive at all now, it just gives a disk error the moment it turns on. So i'd made it worse!

Opened it up to see what's going on - There are two ribbon cables that connect the drive to the main PCB -

IMG-20200601-191738465.jpg

The one with the blue tip which looked far longer than it was meant to be.
    Pulled it a little harder and ended up seeing the other end of it.

IMG-20200601-193702199.jpg

'Ah, that's the problem, one of the ribbon cables is just disconnected, easy fix'.

Yeah, famous last words!

Pro tip - if you're ever working on an N64DD, never, EVER! let this ribbon cable disconnect from the internal PCB.

There's literally no way of getting to it with your hands to reconnect it, unless you disassemble the whole internal zip drive. Which, with the amount of springs in it's assembly isn't going back together unless you are a mechanical engineer.

So taking the whole thing apart wasn't an option, but I was going to have to take apart what I could to try to get to the ribbon cable connector. Couldn't even see where it was meant to go at this stage.

Managed to get the zip drive out anyway, and figured out where the ribbon cable was meant to be connecting up to.

To get the cable to the connector (the cable itself is about 3-4 inches long) you've to feed it through a tiny gap between mounting plates and try to fish it onto a ramp that leads up to the connector.

Once you have it at the connector, your problems have only just started. How do you insert a ribbon cable to a connector without being able to actually press on it with your hands and only being able to maneuver it from the end of the cable four inches away?

If you move it too much, it's back off the ramp and you're back to step 1 in the process of just trying to get it to the connector again, let alone actually in.

Took me two hours to get it connected back up. Two hours! :pac::pac:

I figured out that if I bent the ribbon cable a little bit one way it was an absolute pain in the arse to get it up the ramp, but once you did, it was about 1/4 of a mm into the connector slot.

I then managed to figure out that if I held a spring back on the drive, a tiny bit more space opened up, allowing me to get a really thin scissors blade into the connector and push it in once I had it on the edge of the connector.

Tried to get a bit of a photo showing the horror that is this cable.

The red lines indicate where the cable is fed in between the mounting plates, emerging where the green arrow is at the connector.

Blue arrow shows a spring loaded part which I had to move out of the way.

You can see the ribbon cable back in the connector in this photo. I felt like god when it finally clicked in.

IMG-20200601-200622287.jpg

Reassembled the whole thing, still not working - however, I could hear it trying to read the disk again now, so managed to get it back to the same condition at the very beginning.

TLDR: Oisin attempts to fix his N64 DD, made it even worse but eventually manages to recover it back to the broken condition he started with :D

Let me know when you are selling it.
    You can always buy it back from me two months later!

Let me know when you are selling it.
    You can always buy it back from me two months later!

When its fixed :)

Lockdown has been good for my productivity (non-work stuff anyway). Got jammacon adapters for another 4 consoles done, added Xbox, PS3, Gamecube and N64 to the line up.

Also made adapter boards so all these new ones can be used with the older jammacon (v1) boards that use the smaller connector.

49994987952_94e759db00_z.jpg

Nicely done, do these still connect to the green jammacon mobo?

• Advertisement

Nicely done, do these still connect to the green jammacon mobo?

Yep should do. I've made a small connector converter type board so these can be used on the original jammacon with the little connector.

Some Xbox stuff is nicely playable on a cab but less so for the others, maybe Smash on the N64/Gamecube ?

Now that I'm running out of easy stuff to fix, though it was time to tackle my Vectrex which has been display garbage for years now.

I came across a project on Github called Scopetrex a while ago and recently ordered some pcbs to make a few of them and finally got around to making them this week - its not a complex build, but it is very time consuming with all the thru-hole parts.

50023987517_55b20529af_z.jpg

As the name suggests, its intended to be hooked up to an analog XY scope. All my scopes are digital, the Agilent has an XY mode but the blanking wasn't working right so it just looked a mess of lines.

Feck it, lets attach it to the Vectrex monitor and see how it goes... Very well actually :)

50023728846_b339c5cda3_z.jpg

50023184748_407c9f105c_z.jpg

So now I know the power board of the Vectrex is good and have something to compare with the logic board signals to help debugging :D

I've got two spare sets of pcbs (scopetrex & controller) if anyone wants them. I ordered all the parts off the BOM from Mouser to build 2 units and was expensive enough, but some of the items like connectors can be got a lot cheaper elsewhere. The CPU and sound chip are not available new though, but are very common on older arcade pcbs (68A09E, AY-3-8910).

Ideally I'd like to get a XY deflection board and build a larger bartop Vectrex with a 14" tube or something along those line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

oh cool project. I wanted to look into it at some point. wouldn't mind one of the sets if you still have em.

BGOllie wrote: »
    oh cool project. I wanted to look into it at some point. wouldn't mind one of the sets if you still have em.

Ya no problem, I'll send you a set of boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

How unlikely would it be to have a failed 68000 processor on an 80's era arcade PCB?

I was looking at a board last night that is stuck on a garbled screen and the 68000 is not executing any code. The vcc and gnd are fine, clk is fine as are the /halt /reset feeds.

The /dtack pin 10 is stuck high so this look like the problem. I spent a good hour back tracking the source of /dtack through probing the various ttl chips to see were any faulty. They may well be faulty but all the chip logic is correct while the board is in this frozen state.

After all the back tracking looking for the /dtack source, it turns out /dtack is ultimately fed from A20 and A21 of the other side of the cpu and these are stuck high.

Faulty cpu?

• Advertisement

Could be dead alright.
    DTACK stuck high mean its not read any valid data, check the address bus on reset should go to 0 and read back 8 bytes before jumping

Not really a mod, more of a semi-mod I guess.

I got a couple of RAD2X adapters recently, for Nintendo and Playstation. Nintendo is great as it works with my NES,SNES,N64 and Gamecube (all are RGB modded).

Playstation works well too, however the case popped open as the strain relief is a bit too big for the case. Long story short... they appear to be the same, built a few suitable cables and works great with other consoles as well - doesn't upscale as much as the OSSC but its a lot more convenient to use and doesn't drop sync...

Not really a mod, more of a semi-mod I guess.

I got a couple of RAD2X adapters recently, for Nintendo and Playstation. Nintendo is great as it works with my NES,SNES,N64 and Gamecube (all are RGB modded).

Playstation works well too, however the case popped open as the strain relief is a bit too big for the case. Long story short... they appear to be the same, built a few suitable cables and works great with other consoles as well - doesn't upscale as much as the OSSC but its a lot more convenient to use and doesn't drop sync...

Those cables are a great solution for people just starting out with older consoles on modern displays. Plug in, works :)
    I've got a couple of the newer retrotink devices (2x pro etc) and they seem to be more or less what these cables are(same guy as well).

http://unibios.free.fr - 20/03/2020 - UNIVERSE BIOS v4.0 for MVS/AES & v3.3 for CD now Free...just don't go selling it unless you are just selling the supply/flashing of a PROM :)
    The PICKnMIX feature for the 161-in-1 multicart alone is a great reason to get a earlier version updated

I picked up another 3DO for myself. This one has the new Black Dog RGB mod installed. The 240p is so much better on this one when compared to the mod i got in 2013.
    The install also looks a lot cleaner.

New Black Dog RGB Mod
    b4RrXqU.jpg

Or3Nft7.jpg

Older RGB mod
    ITofaNb.jpg
    hc94sG4.jpg

Wow thats a lot of cables, i got the USB mod a few months ago, have all the games now for it.

Wow thats a lot of cables, i got the USB mod a few months ago, have all the games now for it.

Is that the one from mnemo, the dodgy Russian? :)
    I've a couple of those ones, as well as his Dreamcast version. I prefer not to give him any more business due to his dodgy deeds, but not many options when it comes to the 3DO.

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Is that the one from mnemo, the dodgy Russian? :)
    I've a couple of those ones, as well as his Dreamcast version. I prefer not to give him any more business due to his dodgy deeds, but not many options when it comes to the 3DO.

Yeah the ridiculously dodgy looking website.
    http://3do-renovation.ru/

The website isnt even working for me now.
    What are his dodgy deeds?

Yeah the ridiculously dodgy looking website.
    http://3do-renovation.ru/

The website isnt even working for me now.
    What are his dodgy deeds?

The current site is http://3do-mnemo.com/
    He's always been a bit dodgy. I got one of the first batch of 3DO devices off him a good few years ago and the payment was ridiculously dodge(pay his friend in Poland, making sure to give extra money for a tip etc). I think its a bit better these days.

As for his dodgy deeds, he was found out to be putting time bombs in the firmware on his boards(Dreamcast for sure, not sure on the 3DO). So basically after a certain amount of time or power cycles the firmware will stop working and you just get a black screen with "Firmware Obsolete" on it. Then you need to get a firmware update from him to use it again, which wasn't available when this started happening first.

Some info here: https://www.reddit.com/r/dreamcast/comments/bxfbhd/confirmed_usbgdrom_firmware_contains_code_that/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

A couple Modes from Terraonion finally showed up yesterday for the Dreamcast and one of the Saturns. Despite their dual-use, I wanted separate installs just to have things squared away - though I'd never rip apart my original launch purchases.
    Couple of later console pickups will be getting the works (Dreamcast is actually off getting the HDMI mod right now so that'll have to wait).

• Advertisement
Advertisement