Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭geotrig

Get a few pics or a video up and people will be able to help you ,I does sound like it's just the board From what you describe.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,456 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

o1s1n wrote: »
    Connected up my PS3 DECR-1000A dev kit this evening (finally got a HDMI to SDI converter!) and can't get any image out of it :(

It has three video outputs, HDMI, VGA and a PS1/2 style AV connector, nothing from any of them.

Strange thing is it's just been in storage for the last year, before that I had it running on a projector fine.

Apparently they are symptoms of RSX failure? I dont understand how that could have happened as it hasn't been switched on for more than 20 minutes in the last two years.

Interesting development on this, so I bought a Kodi box and tried hooking it up this afternoon - no picture. :confused:

Decided to fish out my projector to troubleshoot with another screen and it worked. Hooked up the PS3 dev tool, that worked too!

So there's nothing wrong with the dev tool at all and it's actually my monitor setup, specifically converting HDMI to SDI. The WiiU works absolutely grand with the converter but the Kodi box and PS3 won't for some reason. Hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Keithchap

geotrig wrote: »
    Get a few pics or a video up and people will be able to help you ,I does sound like it's just the board From what you describe.

Cool thanks for your help. Here are some pics.

1JJqFME.jpg
    nuacck4.jpg

Have you another board you can swap in? that way you can easily confirm that its the boards thats at fault.

Master of the Universe

o1s1n wrote: »
    Interesting development on this, so I bought a Kodi box and tried hooking it up this afternoon - no picture. :confused:

Decided to fish out my projector to troubleshoot with another screen and it worked. Hooked up the PS3 dev tool, that worked too!

So there's nothing wrong with the dev tool at all and it's actually my monitor setup, specifically converting HDMI to SDI. The WiiU works absolutely grand with the converter but the Kodi box and PS3 won't for some reason. Hmmm.

Bloody hell.

So, just to recap what happened here.

About 5 months ago I bought a HDMI to SDI adapter to get my HD stuff running on a sony production LCD.

After 4 months the HDMI adapter never arrives from China, so I get a refund and buy one from the UK.

That arrives and works with the WiiU but not the PS3 (So I think the PS3 is broken after I fiddle around with it for ages)

Buy a Kodi box, hook it up and that doesnt work with the HDMI adapter either.

Try the Kodi box and the PS3 on a projector, they both work - so it's the adapter. In the meantime, all the fiddling with the PS3 got me stuck in developer mode.

Over the weekend I decide to buy a HDMI to VGA adapter to run the Kodi box and PS3 through that instead.

Yesterday the very first adapter I bought from China 5 months ago decides it doesn't want to be lost in the post anymore and arrives. I swear to god, if that adapter works I'll **** myself :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, be gentle with yourself and use plenty of lube... unless **** means "kill" in which case please don't do that.

Master of the Universe

Don't worry, I was only discussing defecating myself, usual fare around these parts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Keithchap wrote: »
    Cool thanks for your help. Here are some pics.

1JJqFME.jpg
    nuacck4.jpg

As mentioned by others, looks like there is a standard jamma plug there so you could plug in another board to test easy enough

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

In the process of tidying up the cab I posted in the new get thread.

Drilled out the locks and the new ones are on the way, also waiting on LED strip to light up the Marquee.

Want to get the coin mech going but there's something missing, as a N00b to these things maybe some of the experts could help.

I might need to buy a new coin mech?

Also, is it possible to change the coins it accepts to 20c?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Coin mech is defo missing, two of them id say from that photo. you will need to figure out which ones fit i guess and buy them. There are usually switches on the coin mechs i think,so you can set what they accept, just double check the features of the mech before you buy it.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I'm gonna measure up and see if this one does the job

L1m1tless wrote: »
    Thanks, I'm gonna measure up and see if this one does the job

You can get this from arcadeworld already set up for whatever you want

https://www.arcadeworlduk.com/products/calle-3-5-inch-mechanical-coin-mechanism.html

the two switches are still there so you just need to wire coin 1&2 from the jamma harness to them (pin 16 on both sides)

Cool thanks for the tip. I'll give it a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

OK so as it was snowing outside this weekend, I started on a few items that I needed to do my my computers...

first off was a Blank screen on my Commodore Plus 4......I swapped the TED chip from a spare Commodore C16 I have..Had it stored in the attic under a pile of other stuff.
    Booted up the system and hey presto my plus 4 now working.

Second: I installed the CF harddrive I have for my mig 1200, all working.

Thridly: Took my Falcom down from the attice and connected up the PC powersupply to it and ran the IDE cable for the harddrive out under the Floppy drive.

It looks like a monster at the moment...I have to replace the onboard powersupply connector as some one cut it off when they mounte dthe thing in a tower....

On a side note had fun with a guy selling an Atari Falcon on Gumtree ( wanted 150) for a working falcon with 14mb memory and 60GB hard drive.
    Wanted Bank Transfer ( no paypal some cox and bull sorry about something )

Would not give me his phone number but I have his bank details....
    I asked for a picture of the atari with today date on it and he ran to the hills saying he had no camera and said we will call it quits.
    Oh also said he would post it for free.....

Contacted Gumtree to let them know....

Falcons are going for @ 1000 sterling on ebay for god sake...Hope one gets caught out.

Master of the Universe

She lives, SHE LIVES!!!

IMG_20180314_213020189.jpg
    free photo website hosting

Managed to get the unit to display on my monitor in Dev mode - which then allowed me to connect it to my PC via a network LAN and access the developer mode from an internet browser.

Used this to force it to boot in software mode (which is XMB)

Still wasn't getting any picture - then I realised the issue was my monitor again. Broke out the projector (which likes HDMI!) changed the PS3 to output VGA from HDMI and XMB appeared on the monitor.

The blueray drive doesnt want to accept discs (they'll insert on boot but don't do anything) - but that's another days problem!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There's a PSX on adverts with a banjaxed DVD drive.
    Any ideas how repairable these things are?
    Looks like a nice R@RE item to have in the collection

Master of the Universe

Oooh, nice! I'd be tempted by that myself.

Seems like the advice is that it is not advisable!
    I know how easy it is to swap in and out a PS2 drive, but there must be something bespoke about the PSX....

Still, it's a lovely piece of hardware.

Very interesting indeed

Edit: Made an offer, we'll see what happens.
    I had a gander and there's bits and bobs out there that might be able to repair it, but it's pretty risky.
    It has to be opened to see what drive is busted, and hopefully not too much of a headache to swap it out.
    Biggest pain will be waiting the three months for the part to be delivered from China!
    Getting ahead of myself, he hasn't accepted the offer yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I'd be all over this is the drive was working. It'd be a pity to get it and have no real way of using it. Modchip and FreeMCBoot information is fairly vague on if they work properly on the PSX.

Master of the Universe

I think as a conversation piece and the fact that its streaming function still works (which is it's main unique point) are enough to buy it at that price point. Plenty of ways of paying PS1 and PS2 games already. :)

• Advertisement

We'll see.
    Feel free to trump my offer if you like, I've probably bought enough stuff, but this is pretty rare to see on Adverts.

Master of the Universe

Bros before rare niche Japanese consoles :D

Ah I've enough stuff I don't use lying around at the moment, probably shouldn't add to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭Inviere

I only learned recently there's two laser diodes in these, AND the hdd is paired to the specific machine, so if the hdd goes kaput, it's game over (the hdd encryption is yet to be cracked).

I read that.
    People pulled it apart and replace "a laser" only to find no change or, worse still, they killed it altogether.
    It's seems too that the repairs showed up a software issue rather than a hardware one, in some cases.
    It reminds me of a certain FW update on my PS3 which killed it.

So, the PSX is a risky buy to be sure.
    But it might be worth a punt, replace both lasers and see what happens.
    It's not reading disks anymore, with some care the worst that can happen is it continues not to read disks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭Inviere

Nice piece to have for sure. There's a variant of FmB for it too. Nice vid on it here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1Ze0kOx6Po

sugarman wrote: »
    Yeah think the 2 diodes are for CD and DVD, you often find these listed as only playing CD/PS1 games or DVD/PS2. Both easily repairable if you know what youre doing.
    And there lies the rub!
    As for the hardrive, theres a little bios chip that pairs the 2 on the harddrive PCB. Itd be fairly rare for this to die, usually something else on the PCB goes or else the bios chip gets stuck in a busy state boot loop.

Its not unique to the PSX, plenty of other hardware use it. Its why you cant always just straight out swap a hardrives PCB if it goes. Ive repaired a handful over the years. You either have to repair the PCB, swap the BIOS chip to a good PCB or connect the PCB to your computer via the serial port with a serial/ttl adapter and clear the error through the command line.

Ive been toying with picking up one of these for years, but cant justify the import prices. Id have been interested in the one on Adverts but im not going to hijack it on Ciderman. Itd only be stacked in my to-do pile for god knows how long too:P

Well, my offer has been accepted, so it's a PSX for me, with a few issues, for €50!
    Woohoo!

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    And there lies the rub!

Well, my offer has been accepted, so it's a PSX for me, with a few issues, for €50!
    Woohoo!

Well that was a steal! Well done!

I'll be driving down to Carlow probably next Friday, to collect, then I'll be taking it apart and see what lasers it uses, the get replacements for them both.
    That is, if it needs them.
    He told me, via PM, that the disks he used were badly scuffed.
    So I'll try a Japanese region couple of PS1 and PS2 games and you never know.
    Are these things that rare btw?

Cool, I can't wait now.
    If I can find a cheap N64DD I'll nearly be done collecting... Right up to seeing something else all fancy like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Well jealous of that purchase, always wanted a psx. Put myself next in line for it

Advertisement