Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Movies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,162 ✭✭✭✭DvB

We were just saying last night that since the kids were born this year has seen us watch the least amount of Christmas TV and movie content. For whatever reason we simply didn't get into the build up movie watching that we normally would and only watched the 2 home alone's, Christmas vacation, the family man and love actually. We did watch last years gavin and Stacey Christmas special again on Christmas night but other than that little else Christmas related. Just not getting the same feels this year at all despite our best efforts.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DvB wrote: »
    We did watch last years gavin and Stacey Christmas special again on Christmas night but other than that little else Christmas related. Just not getting the same feels this year at all despite our best efforts.

I watched the Gavin and Stacey special as well, it was on rte2 on Christmas night I think, still as good as it was last year and looks like it will hold up over the years too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Loughc wrote: »
    Take away the office Christmas party and the movie falls apart. The storyline hinges on it :pac:

Turns out this was my 17,000th post... I stand by it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

We were just saying last night that since the kids were born this year has seen us watch the least amount of Christmas TV and movie content. For whatever reason we simply didn't get into the build up movie watching that we normally would and only watched the 2 home alone's, Christmas vacation, the family man and love actually. We did watch last years gavin and Stacey Christmas special again on Christmas night but other than that little else Christmas related. Just not getting the same feels this year at all despite our best efforts.

Was only thinking the same today, definitely watched less movies both Christmas and non this year. Not sure why, just the way things have worked out so far.

Got national lampoons Christmas vacation in though so not all bad :)

TRS30 wrote: »
    Was only thinking the same today, definitely watched less movies both Christmas and non this year. Not sure why, just the way things have worked out so far.

Got national lampoons Christmas vacation in though so not all bad :)

Yeah, not a chance I'd miss that in the build up.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

I walked past my cat in the tree earlier and reminded me that we didn't watch Gremlins this year. Might throw it on this weekend for the lols.
    Also meant to watch Lampoons, but couldn't find a legal way to watch it online :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

One of my traditions for the past 15+ years, movie-wise, has been to watch Fierce Creatures. Absolutely 100% non-Christmassy, but Christmassy for me because I always watch it at Christmas time. I know, it doesn't make sense (there's a long story behind it, but I won't bore you more than I normally do). Anyway, I lent it to somebody two years ago together with two more DVDs and I still haven't got any of them back despite having repeatedly asked for them. Now they're abroad. :/ I wouldn't mind if they had loved the film, but I'd wager they haven't watched it even once. I need to get myself a new copy. CeX, here I come (as soon as it's safe and the restrictions allow)!

New Home wrote: »
    One of my traditions for the past 15+ years, movie-wise, has been to watch Fierce Creatures. Absolutely 100% non-Christmassy, but Christmassy for me because I always watch it at Christmas time. I know, it doesn't make sense (there's a long story behind it, but I won't bore you more than I normally do). Anyway, I lent it to somebody two years ago together with two more DVDs and I still haven't got any of them back despite having repeatedly asked for them. Now they're abroad. :/ I wouldn't mind if they had loved the film, but I'd wager they haven't watched it even once. I need to get myself a new copy. CeX, here I come (as soon as it's safe and the restrictions allow)!

I had this happen but with a book series, it's so frustrating!

I just had a look and if it's the one about the zoo, and also presuming you're a subscriber, it's on Irish Netflix :)

https://www.netflix.com/title/1150685?s=a&trkid=13747225&t=cp

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Yes, it's the one about the zoo. :) I'm not a netflix subscriber, but thanks for checking. :)

I never, ever, ever lend books to anyone again unless it's to my very best friends who also lend me books andwho know I treat theirs the same way they treat mine (with great care, and I also always return them). Book thieves are the worst. And almost as bad are those who return them very much the worst for wear. :mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

It doesn't show on Irish Netflix for me, anyway, so don't bother subscribing, New Home!

I find that lending books or DVDs often doesn't end well, sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

We watched the classic Holiday Inn this evening. What a beautiful film

Posy wrote: »
    It doesn't show on Irish Netflix for me, anyway, so don't bother subscribing, New Home!

I find that lending books or DVDs often doesn't end well, sadly.

Well that's rather annoying! I could see it on Netflix, but when I tried to play it, it said it's not available in this region... sorry, New Home :(

There's very few I trust these days with books or dvds. I trusted someone recently but they naively lent my books to someone else, never to be seen again.

Well that's rather annoying! I could see it on Netflix, but when I tried to play it, it said it's not available in this region... sorry, New Home :(

There's very few I trust these days with books or dvds. I trusted someone recently but they naively lent my books to someone else, never to be seen again.

What the hell?!?!?

New Home wrote: »
    What the hell?!?!?

Unforgivable! But no point in getting annoyed, I should have known better than to lend them books in the first place. I've learnt my lesson (again).

Slightly on topic of the thread, I liked Home for Christmas on Netflix, it's a short series, 2 seasons, but be warned, it's very much not suitable for kids!

Just watched the new pixar movie 'soul' with the family. Found it really good. Some great moments in it. Will definitely watch this again

Just watched the new pixar movie 'soul' with the family. Found it really good. Some great moments in it. Will definitely watch this again

We enjoyed it as well. The last couple of Disney movies (Onward) we’ve seen have been good.

TRS30 wrote: »
    We enjoyed it as well. The last couple of Disney movies (Onward) we’ve seen have been good.

Disney plus is so good for content. I’m treating myself to an annual subscription for it in 2021. I’m a marvel nerd so that swings it for me. I don’t mind Star Wars but prefer marvel stuff.

Disney plus is so good for content. I’m treating myself to an annual subscription for it in 2021. I’m a marvel nerd so that swings it for me. I don’t mind Star Wars but prefer marvel stuff.

Star wars obsessive myself. That coupled with the Pixar content swung it for us.

Star wars obsessive myself. That coupled with the Pixar content swung it for us.

And classic Simpsons episodes doesn’t hurt either.

Their content, especially since they acquired Fox is unrivaled IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭tscul32

I've two teens and a preteen here, all boys. Add that to the fact that me and the OH both love Star Wars and Disney plus has been our favourite tv addition this year.

Netflix and Disney a lifesaver this year.

I think Disney coincided with the first lockdown/schools closing. Talk about fortuitous. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭tscul32

I think Disney coincided with the first lockdown/schools closing. Talk about fortuitous. :D

The conspiracy thread could have a field day with that....

Watching Disney Plus with the kids :pac:

signs-tin-foil-hat.jpg

Watching Disney Plus with the kids :pac:

signs-tin-foil-hat.jpg

Nah, there's no grogu (baby yoda) merchandise in sight!!

We just finished watching Soul, and just, wow. That alone makes up for the subscription charge for Disney plus! Thanks for the recommendation guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The two of us are watching The Holiday tonight. We'd seen it in the cinema when it first came out but have only seen snippets of it since.
    Very underated film with all the main characters being thoroughly likeable.
    It also ticks all the Christmas boxes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

Most of the Christmas stuff was 'watched' as background noise. Now some of the movies, Christmas vacation/Muppets Christmas carol, I felt that I had only watched them recently and they were not that special even though it had been a year. So I am not too annoyed that I did not see some classics like die hard or its a wonderful life this year as they will be all the more special for Christmas 2021.

• Advertisement

Jude13 wrote: »
    Most of the Christmas stuff was 'watched' as background noise. Now some of the movies, Christmas vacation/Muppets Christmas carol, I felt that I had only watched them recently and they were not that special even though it had been a year. So I am not too annoyed that I did not see some classics like die hard or its a wonderful life this year as they will be all the more special for Christmas 2021.

For the first time since we've been a couple my wife pointed out that we didn't watch 'its a wonderful life' this Christmas... it was always our Christmas eve movie after the kids went to bed but alas this year we simply didn't have the time. But as you say it may be more special next year after missing it for a year.

Advertisement