Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What non Whiskey or Rum Spirit (Cognac, Mezcal, Calvados etc) are we drinking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

There was once a fashion in Hong Kong for Johnnie Walker Blue mixed with cold green tea. A very expensive cocktail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Celtic Whiskey Quinta do Noval Tawny Port Tasting €45

What's in the pack?
    5 x 71ml samples
    Join us for a virtual tasting with the fantastic Quinta do Noval Tawny Ports! This tasting pack features samples of the Noval Tawny Reserve, Noval 10 Year Old Tawny Port, Noval 20 Year Old Tawny Port, Quinta do Noval Colheita 2005 Tawny Port and Quinta do Noval Colheita 2000 Tawny Port.

https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/Quinta-do-Noval-Tawny-Port-Tasting?search=quinta%20noval%20tasting

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Cazale wrote: »
    Celtic Whiskey Quinta do Noval Tawny Port Tasting €45

What's in the pack?
    5 x 71ml samples
    Join us for a virtual tasting with the fantastic Quinta do Noval Tawny Ports! This tasting pack features samples of the Noval Tawny Reserve, Noval 10 Year Old Tawny Port, Noval 20 Year Old Tawny Port, Quinta do Noval Colheita 2005 Tawny Port and Quinta do Noval Colheita 2000 Tawny Port.

https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/Quinta-do-Noval-Tawny-Port-Tasting?search=quinta%20noval%20tasting

Thought you'd be al over that. But the fruit brandy one below that in the mail piqued my interest more tbh:

Eau de Vie Distillerie Nusbaumer
    Tasting Pack - 28th April

How does it work? Buy > pack gets delivered > join us for a Zoom tasting!

What's in the pack?
    5 x 30ml samples
    Join us for a virtual tasting with Eau de Vie from Distillerie Nusbaumer! This tasting pack features samples of the Framboise des Bois, Kirsch de Merise, Mirabelle Tres Ville, Poire Williams Rouge, and Prune de Ferme.

When?
    Zoom tasting will take place on April 28th at 8pm with a representative from Distillerie Nusbaumer and Celtic Whiskey Bar's Luke Crowley Holland.

https://celticwhiskeyshop.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2ab1a525f2ea2c7498cf3bca0&id=872f249a53&e=63d4106ad4

---

My Calvados samples arrived this morning, and they smell lovely. Looking forward to that.

Thought you'd be al over that. But the fruit brandy one below that in the mail piqued my interest more tbh:

Eau de Vie Distillerie Nusbaumer
    Tasting Pack - 28th April

Spent a load this week so have given the Port a miss. If it's still on sale next week though..... :D Got the Eau de Vie pack. Another new one for me. Should be interesting.

My Calvados samples arrived this morning, and they smell lovely. Looking forward to that.

Same here. Smells like an orchard!

• Advertisement

Same here. Smells like an orchard!

That's teetering a bit close to the edge for me.:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

All this talk about port should really be in the wine thread.

It's all brandy talk and fawning?

To wash talk of Port out of my mouth I have signed up to Celtic Whiskeys Del Maguey Mezcal tasting. Another spirit I have very little knowledge of. Del Maguey is one of the big players in Mezcal but I'm hoping it'll be a good introduction.

What's in the pack?

4 x 30ml

Join us this March for a virtual Mezcal tasting with Del Maguey! This tasting pack features samples of Chichicapa, Vida, Tobala, and Pechuga.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Got a bottle of Clase Azul Reposado for the missus.

Impressive bottle anyway, if you can even call it that. More like an urn crossed with a vase.

• Advertisement

Impressive bottle anyway, if you can even call it that. More like an urn crossed with a vase.

Jesus you'd be fierce guilty opening that.

Lovely bottle. One to keep when finished.

Lovely bottle. One to keep when finished.

While it is a lovely bottle, I wonder how much you are paying for the bottle by the time it ends up on the shelf here?

I know if I could buy the same liquid for €20 cheaper, I would.

It wouldn't my cup of tea, but it's a present for her not me, so...

For what it's worth I gather that this is one of a number of Mexican tequila producers that are circulating on a list online as being considered more fairtrade \ ethical than others. I know my missus and her friends have been discussing it, it's something that's come up after people starting criticising whatever Kardashian unveiled her own tequila lately and got criticised for doing it the wrong way.

Clase Azul seems to be having a bit of a moment, maybe linked to the above. Martins Off Licence told me they sold three bottles this week in online orders. I gather that the idea is that yes, the bottle itself is an artisan product you hold onto itself, I'd say it accounts for quite a bit of the overall cost. I'm not expecting the tequila itself to be any better than Casamigos, 1800 or whatever else. Would you re-use the bottle? I dunno, guess we'll find out.

It wouldn't my cup of tea, but it's a present for her not me, so...

For what it's worth I gather that this is one of a number of Mexican tequila producers that are circulating on a list online as being considered more fairtrade \ ethical than others. I know my missus and her friends have been discussing it, it's something that's come up after people starting criticising whatever Kardashian unveiled her own tequila lately and got criticised for doing it the wrong way.

Clase Azul seems to be having a bit of a moment, maybe linked to the above. Martins Off Licence told me they sold three bottles this week in online orders. I gather that the idea is that yes, the bottle itself is an artisan product you hold onto itself, I'd say it accounts for quite a bit of the overall cost. I'm not expecting the tequila itself to be any better than Casamigos, 1800 or whatever else. Would you re-use the bottle? I dunno, guess we'll find out.

Fancy bottles seems to be a big thing in Tequila.
    Unlike some other products, an extra fancy bottle doesn't indicate that it's an inferior liquid inside.
    With many other drinks, I'd be put off by a very fancy bottle - not so with tequila (other than having to pay for it).

At that price, I'd be expecting some top shelf tequila - even if the bottle makes up a lot of the price!

Yeah, in fairness, I think it is meant to be good tequila too. Any review I've read has been positive, but equally there are great sipping tequilas at a lower price point too so I think you'd really want to have the artisan-crafted decanter bottle... Which (at the risk of being sexist) might be more of a draw to the ladies? Certainly for my missus seems to be.

I'll let ye all know how it is!! Saving it for Mother's Day to give to her :P She doesn't know.

The mezcal tasting set from Celtic Whiskey arrived today along with a little bowl. Wasn't sure what it was so looked it up and it's called a copita.

An account by the founder of Del Maguey on how copitas became synonymous with mezcal consumption. In the following excerpt from his book, Ron Cooper explains how these tiny terra cotta cups came to be.

As civilization evolved, so did vessels. Humans learned to form and then fire clay. The first pots used for storing food and water probably date to 10,000 BCE. When I started looking for a vessel I could use for tasting mezcal, I settled on clay, an organic material. I wanted to mimic the traditional vessel used to taste mezcal, the jícara, a thin-walled, hollowed-out gourd sometimes decorated with etchings on the outside of the bowl. As a material, the gourd skin is porous, it breathes. When you pour mezcal into it, the jícara drinks its share. Over time, the mezcal cures the bowl, but the bowl imparts nothing to the spirit. When you bend your face to it for a sip, you’re enveloped by aromas from the mezcal. There is no intense alcohol burning your nose, just the smell of roasted maguey, mineral, fruit, flower overtones.

I met the Benítez family in the Central de Abastos market, where I’ve found so many treasures over the years. They were selling their pottery, which they make on Cerro del Fortín. It’s the hill overlooking Oaxaca where the traditional dances for the annual Guelaguetza festival are held. (Guelaguetza, held on consecutive Mondays in the second half of July, celebrates native culture through costume and dance. The event is ancient, with roots in pre-Hispanic sacrifices offered to the god of corn. The word Guelaguetza comes from the Zapotec for “exchange of gifts”; the dances performed are considered offerings from one tribe to another.) I once saw a photo of the Cerro del Fortín from the 1930s or ’40s: there were no roads. Just old cars and people scattered like ants across the hillside. The Benítez family has made pottery there for generations.

I worked with them to design a copita that, like the jícara, would breathe. We worked on the shape, which has morphed slightly over the years, but is basically a squat cup that stands roughly an inch high. It holds a perfect measure of mezcal and sits comfortably in the hand. It’s the perfect size for hiding in your pocket. I always carry mine in my jeans or my jacket—you never know when someone will want to pour you a nice mezcal. No one has ever been able to shape the copitas like the Benítez clan. The family’s old abuelo passed away a while back, but I remember him clearly, leaning against a wall before his wheel, kicking a four-foot-tall volcano of clay around and around, shaping copitas by the hundreds per day.

The copitas have taken on a life of their own. I’ve read misguided articles that claim they are traditional Oaxaca artifacts. They are not. They’re all me. They were invented out of necessity, but I’m always pleased when a bar or restaurant wants to use them for serving our mezcal. When people come to visit me in Oaxaca, I give them a copita and make a little drawing on the foot of it for them. It’s my way of saying thank you.

As I’ve mentioned, vessels are a recurring theme in my art. In my early works, they held water. I’ve always found water to be a beautiful and powerful element to work with. In later works, my vessels held mezcal, the sacred juice. The vessels were like goddesses: the womb, the container of life. Mezcal was the food, feeding the skull, the container of light. For me, a work of art is successful if, in the making of it, a question is generated. The answering of that question becomes the next work. The sculpted vessel led to the liquid contained therein; working in the avant-garde led me to the ancient.

I have a little coconut copita (edit, now that I've actually read the post above, I know it's a "jícara", made of gourd) that I picked up from a fantastic Mescal producer at a trade show in Berlin when we could do those things!

I really, really like mescal.

This is the mescal and the little gourd cup.
    All gone now.
    It was punchy, floral, smoky and delicious.

There's something painful but beautiful about finishing a bottle of something you really like but, most probably, will never taste again.

No mescal in the house, now.

• Advertisement

Got a bottle of Cacique 500 via a Venezuelan business in Ireland. Delivery of various Venezuelan rums to your door. Boderum they are called...

Also, realised I never gave a verdict on the Clase Azul.

First of all, the decanter is legitimately cool, it genuinely is something you would keep and use.

The tequila is very, very good, not sure what else to say. I have had Casamigos, 1800, Cazador, Don Julio etc and I’d say this is the most floral, delicate sipping reposado I ever had. It’s actually nearly too perfumed for me, but the missus loves it.

Would I buy it again? Hell no, but she was very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Apple Brandy.

The mezcal tasting set from Celtic Whiskey arrived today along with a little bowl. Wasn't sure what it was so looked it up and it's called a copita.

Did you do the tasting on Wednesday?

I wasn't home from work in time, so saving it.

The two of us here just decided to have a wee sip of them there though.

Quite a range from the smokiness of the Pechuga and Chichicapa to the sweet initial taste of Tobala and its fiery finish.

Looking forward to doing it next weekend now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

The tasting was good and bad. Too much waffle from your man, didn't talk enough about actually tasting the mezcals.

Did you do the tasting on Wednesday?

I wasn't home from work in time, so saving it.

Nah I was on a project in work but I've changed hours now and it's playing havoc with the live tastings. Missed this, three drams on the Thursday and will probably miss the Calvados on Wednesday. I'll catch up on them asap though as if I leave them too long they never get drunk.

Nah I was on a project in work but I've changed hours now and it's playing havoc with the live tastings. Missed this, three drams on the Thursday and will probably miss the Calvados on Wednesday. I'll catch up on them asap though as if I leave them too long they never get drunk.

Yup. I still have my Bushmills deconstruction and my Kurayoshi samples still sitting there.

Chateau Du Breuil Calvados Tasting on tonight with Celtic Whiskey. Can't make it live but will try catch up over the next few days.

Chateau Du Breuil Calvados Tasting on tonight with Celtic Whiskey. Can't make it live but will try catch up over the next few days.

Just on the way home from work now. Will try and get it going tonight. But it's not looking likely at this remove.

Just on the way home from work now. Will try and get it going tonight. But it's not looking likely at this remove.

I'm having a sneak watch of it albeit sans Calvados in the glass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I'm having a sneak watch of it albeit sans Calvados in the glass.

I'll have to catch it later too. Leaving a ceiling half painted to drink Calvados might appear problematic to some observers so I'll wait.

Advertisement