Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle 2018

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Eamonnator wrote: »
    A few years ago, we had a waiting list in double digits for RoK
    What has happened?

His hand would have been snapped off 5mins after posting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I've done ROK about 8/9 times... Lost count ,,, I remember when it hit 5000 and being totally shocked , and its gone on a lot more since ..

After the lottery year I said never again and a load of my friends in Kerry who were regular s said same , I came back because I was offered a marshal entry of 50 euros and I'm doing it again this year as a Marshal .

As a Marshal you do it exact same but like in episode of father ted you get a whistle and have to wear a pink shirt.

I've sold out its true ....

Did ring of beara last week and that's way way better and this year I've branched out and done a few more smaller cycles like the " Stephanie o sullivan charity cycle for suicide and Kerry mental health , that's on tomorrow, I think this might be my last year for while on ROK .

I'd like to maybe try going out the county next year ,, maybe Ring of clare cycle .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Olsky wrote:
    Those that entered the lottery and were unsuccessful and lost their money are sent multiple e-mails up to the gig encouraging them to buy from the reseller site at the exorbitant mark up.
    And then after the event, a load of emails back slapping the committee for how much "they" raised for charity...

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Olsky

Macy0161 wrote: »
    And then after the event, a load of emails back slapping the committee for how much "they" raised for charity...

The boasting by the committee about the amount of money they are able to squeeze out of cyclists did become a bit nauseating. Although they seem to have toned it down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

And no Munster Final being held in Killarney this year ... the accommodation people won't have the field day they have been used to in the past. The golden goose is dying.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Mikecraddock

I asked about cycling as a marshal and was told to register the same way!
    Take full payment and help out for the day! Rather cheeky I think....
    It seems like all the goodness has been taken out of this event which is sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Masala wrote: »
    And no Munster Final being held in Killarney this year ... the accommodation people won't have the field day they have been used to in the past. The golden goose is dying.....

It's also on Saturday 23rd June this year and will likely be around that time for the forseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭brianomc

Odd, a friend of a friend is doing marshalling and had to pay less than the standard entry fee. I've no idea how he registered which wont be much help to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 MacAttackJ

Howdy, all. I will be travelling down from Dublin late on the Friday night so wanted to check what the story is with number collection, etc. The only information I can find on the website is the below rather cryptic information. I’d rather know the details before I fork out the outrageous (more fool me if / when I pay it) registration fee. Anyone have the collection details please?

I registered online, what do I do next?
    You will receive a confirmation email outlining next steps. If you do not receive this, please email office@ringofkerrycycle.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

MacAttackJ wrote: »
    Howdy, all. I will be travelling down from Dublin late on the Friday night so wanted to check what the story is with number collection, etc. The only information I can find on the website is the below rather cryptic information. I’d rather know the details before I fork out the outrageous (more fool me if / when I pay it) registration fee. Anyone have the collection details please?

I registered online, what do I do next?
    You will receive a confirmation email outlining next steps. If you do not receive this, please email office@ringofkerrycycle.ie
    You can collect your tags from the Mission Street car park. It's behind the Plaza hotel, there will be a huge cycle expo set up. There will be signs and cycists everywhere so easy to find. Tags can also be collected on Saturday morning before you head off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

The charity I aligned myself with last year had a collection night in Limerick(presume other places too) in the week or two before the cycle so had my tags etc before I travelled down to Killarney

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Atom Ant

How mean is that!! Just completed the WW200 and the Marshals were fantastic. A little inspiration on climbs, keeping you safe from traffic..I would be given ye all free goodie bags including shirts to say thank you, not charging you.

I worked out the cost one day to the the 'Charity' cycle for two us us and I wasn't going to see much change out of 800 euros for the weekend by the time you throw in travel, hotels for two nights, restaurants etc. Putting it into perspective for a few quid extr,a I could book a cheap holiday in the sun a week. The organisers became greedy under the 'quise of charity!! The proverb charity starts at home comes to mind. I am going to boycott the event until such time as they charge a reasonable entry fee fo 45/55 euro.

They tried to charge this marshall 50 euros but he wasn't having any of that bull!!
    http://www.cortthesport.com/2013/01/i-was-bicycle-cowboy-no-really.html

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭heraldo

Doing the ROK for the 4th year running and looking forward to it. Killarney is always a great buzz that evening.
    It's more of a recreational cycle than some of the other sportives with all sorts of strange and wonderful characters participating.
    Yes it's one of the more expensive cycles but if you can minimise the transport and accommodation costs, I think it's just about worth it, especially for the closed road descent from Molls Gap to Torc Waterfall.

Best of luck to all participating this year.

I wonder what are the numbers looking like at this stage???

Don't think it will hit the levels of 11,000 of a few years back??? The year certain charities charged up to €220 a pop started the decline. Then the doomed 'lottery' scamming €10 off unsuccessful applicants really soured the whole thing.

I personally haven't signed up yet as I haven't put n the work and don't think I have 180kms in the tank

Masala wrote: »
    I personally haven't signed up yet as I haven't put n the work and don't think I have 180kms in the tank
    It was only 170km the year I did it. Which was a real bugbear of one of my group, as going as far as 180 was one of their big things of the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Michael_Myers

It was only 170km the year I did it. Which was a real bugbear of one of my group, as going as far as 180 was one of their big things of the day!

Yes - it comes in at 168km

....wouldn't have 170 in the tank either. If it keeps falling like this ... I might manage if it falls to 120 km!!

I did a cycle a month back and it was a 100km cycle... everyone knew it was called a 100km cycle ... passing finish my Garmin said 92km ...I decide to go for a small cycle to make it up to the 100 , I suggest everyone does same If they are annoyed they didn't get what they wanted .

Also if you have over done training and want more of a challenge then add more miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭brianomc

It’s advertised this year as 175km. I don’t know if the route changed slightly or not. Only 170 when I did it a few years back but advertised as 180. Definite shenanigans going on with their road signage to make it look :) For every 8-9km you did near the end the signs said you had done 10. Maybe they are trying to bring the advertised amount closer to the actual. Probably not really questioned before the days of strava and everyone having on-bike computers

brianomc wrote: »
    It’s advertised this year as 175km. I don’t know if the route changed slightly or not. Only 170 when I did it a few years back but advertised as 180. Definite shenanigans going on with their road signage to make it look :) For every 8-9km you did near the end the signs said you had done 10. Maybe they are trying to bring the advertised amount closer to the actual. Probably not really questioned before the days of strava and everyone having on-bike computers

The story behind the missing 10 Kms is this, the first RoK went onto Valentia island, there was a post here last year with the an accompanying map. The Valentia section was cut but it was kept in the advertising as 180 Kms. Only with every Tom Dick and Harry having cycling computers that people began to wonder about the "missing 10 Kms".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

Atom Ant wrote: »
    They tried to charge this marshall 50 euros but he wasn't having any of that bull!!
    http://www.cortthesport.com/2013/01/i-was-bicycle-cowboy-no-really.html
    Am I missing something here? That's a post about a woman trying to stop a cow from escaping from a field...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

davef1000 wrote: »
    Am I missing something here? That's a post about a woman trying to stop a cow from escaping from a field...
    Thank you - I thought it was just me so I stayed quiet! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭heraldo

I'm aware the ROK is not sold out but if there is anyone wanting to pass on an entry they can't use, I know someone who will offer cash for a spare. Just drop me a DM.

I did a cycle a month back and it was a 100km cycle... everyone knew it was called a 100km cycle ... passing finish my Garmin said 92km ...I decide to go for a small cycle to make it up to the 100 , I suggest everyone does same If they are annoyed they didn't get what they wanted .
    That wasn't really the point - why falsely advertise it as 180km (or now as 175km), when it's 170km? Doubt you'd paid (and lost) a €10 lottery entry, and then €70 (iirc) for entry for your one that wasn't 100km either.

That wasn't really the point - why falsely advertise it as 180km (or now as 175km), when it's 170km? Doubt you'd paid (and lost) a €10 lottery entry, and then €70 (iirc) for entry for your one that wasn't 100km either.

Point taken on 1st part ' the rest I haven't a clue what the hell you are on about but seems like rubbish .

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

Anyone know if there is a medal at the end?

Doing this with my dad and it will be a first for him - token of it would be nice - medal or jersey if not..

Forecast is looking good. The current spell of hot weather looks set to continue right through next weekend. Plenty of sunblock and water seems advisable. We'll be pedalling before 6 to make it most of the way around before it gets too hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »

Doing this with my dad and it will be a first for him - token of it would be nice - medal or jersey if not..

Nope you get to cross a finish line unless you want to pay for a souvenir then you've either option available to you. He'll have his number plate as a memento.

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »

Yes there is a medal ...same medal as last year by looks of It's just the ribbon has changed.

We usually leave at 6 but this year aim to leave just before 5 .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Do u have to pay for the medal?

Advertisement