Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Yup, it's still open. Was just checking in to see if any boards head had one they wanted to shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Yup, it's still open. Was just checking in to see if any boards head had one they wanted to shift.

Would be interesting to see if your rang them...would they take €50 !! For the craic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Hopelessone1

Masala wrote: »
    Would be interesting to see if your rang them...would they take €50 !! For the craic!!

While they did get it wrong a few years ago now imo they have got it right. It’s 100 euro to do the event with all monies going to the charities. They run a very good event for really worthwhile causes with loads of food and plenty support along the way with some closed roads also. No one forces anyone to enter. And i personally consider it a much better way to spend my money than supporting more commercial events around the country. Basically they run a very very good event and are this year asking for 100 euro to participate and if you don’t consider it value then simply don’t do it and stop bitching about it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

While they did get it wrong a few years ago now imo they have got it right. It’s 100 euro to do the event with all monies going to the charities. They run a very good event for really worthwhile causes with loads of food and plenty support along the way with some closed roads also. No one forces anyone to enter. And i personally consider it a much better way to spend my money than supporting more commercial events around the country. Basically they run a very very good event and are this year asking for 100 euro to participate and if you don’t consider it value then simply don’t do it and stop bitching about it

I used to buy that line but it's charities solely in Kerry. I wonder what percentage of participants are from Kerry? I would imagine a larger percentage travel from outside the kingdom.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I used to buy that line but it's charities solely in Kerry. I wonder what percentage of participants are from Kerry? I would imagine a larger percentage travel from outside the kingdom.

Again, who cares. They let it run known it's for charities in the area. People are choosing to be outraged for the sake of it.

There are far more important things to be up in arms about

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    Again, who cares. They let it run known it's for charities in the area. People are choosing to be outraged for the sake of it.

There are far more important things to be up in arms about

I care therefore I'm no longer interested in doing it. Is that ok with yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I used to buy that line but it's charities solely in Kerry.
    Not really getting into the debate but if you look at the bottom of https://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie you'll see a number of charities listed such as Pieta House, Breakthrough Cancer Research and the Irish Kidney Association.
    Those are not Kerry based and there are some other charities also supported that are not exclusively based in Kerry so there's a mix of national charities also supported by the event.

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Not really getting into the debate but if you look at the bottom of https://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie you'll see a number of charities listed such as Pieta House, Breakthrough Cancer Research and the Irish Kidney Association.
    Those are not Kerry based and there are some other charities also supported that are not exclusively based in Kerry so there's a mix of national charities also supported by the event.

Kerry based branches afaik. Either way no point dragging it out everyone's entitled to an opinion I'm always amazed at people getting upset about another commenting on this sportive. As opposed to the usual don't do the race how about ignore the comments or unfollow the thread :D

Shock horror. It started in Kerry by Kerry people for local charities and is so successful that it attracted participants from all over the country and beyond. Like i said do it or not but stop bitching about it. It is without doubt the best sportive in the country as ALL the money raised goes to charity. None other can compare. IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Where bouts on ur bike does the tag go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ustazjoseph

Where bouts on ur bike does the tag go?

based on previous years i think they expect it tied to the front. its a bit smaller this time. !

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Olsky

Don't think €103 is unreasonable. However the price gouging of a few years ago and the self congratulory guff from the organisers about how much money they were able to gouge from the gullible cyclists did enormous damage to the reputation of the event and it hasn't recovered. It lost it's good name and a lot of people no longer do it in principle.
    Still lots of overpriced accomodation available in Killarney for the weekend

Shock horror. It started in Kerry by Kerry people for local charities and is so successful that it attracted participants from all over the country and beyond. Like i said do it or not but stop bitching about it. It is without doubt the best sportive in the country as ALL the money raised goes to charity. None other can compare. IMO

Spoken like a true healy Rae supporter :D

Spoken like a true healy Rae supporter :D

What a silly and childish comment to make !

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,060 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Good luck to all doing this tomorrow. Mrs beertons has gone down, as its on her bucket list with being a local. Starting a little later than most @530, but she's travelling over from Tralee that morning. Looking forward to seeing all the pics!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Enjoy tomorrow peeps.
    Have a safe day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

beertons wrote:
    Good luck to all doing this tomorrow. Mrs beertons has gone down, as its on her bucket list with being a local. Starting a little later than most @530, but she's travelling over from Tralee that morning. Looking forward to seeing all the pics!

Most people start around 7

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

I’ve done this a few times and the amount of people starting so early is incredible. Like first dawn .
    It’s a great weekend though if you make the most of it so enjoy

liam7831 wrote: »
    Most people start around 7

A lot she spoke with are going out earlier to avoid the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I just finished it and I started at 5:30 . There was loads starting early this year.

The volunteers were fantastic and so friendly .

I've openly been miffed on the way it's run in past with lottery and price but you can't take it away from them' it's a fantastically run sportif.

I suppose like has already been said everybody has a choice .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Finished @ 16:30ish. PBed nearly every segment on Strava. Happy enough with that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It’s 100 euro to do the event with all monies going to the charities.
    All monies to charity? Pretty sure it wasn't the year I did it, and looked into it after the event.

The woman did it in 7 23. Left @505, home @1403.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Atom Ant

It looked a nice day for a cycle around Kerry. How were the numbers in relation to the previous years?

Atom Ant wrote: »
    It looked a nice day for a cycle around Kerry. How were the numbers in relation to the previous years?

Numbers were down I would imagine. I left the same time as last year and the roads were definitely quieter. Unless everyone went earlier.

Still a fantastic day on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Atom Ant wrote: »

7,000 according to RTE News - https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0707/976986-ring-of-kerry/

There certainly seemed to be more space on the road this year and it didn't feel overly congested.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

I did it today, my third time. Weather was duller than expected (even drops of rain near Waterville) but that was probably a good thing. Event was very well run. I used the food stations for the first time and there were minimal delays. There was also a great buzz at the finish which was helped by the good weather.

Numbers were well down, an organiser told me there were just over 7000 participating (RTE is also reporting this number). I met someone who signed up on Monday and there number was in low 5000. If that is true then nearly 2000 people signed up this week. The lower numbers was very noticeable on the roads but I think it made the cycle much safer.

It is an enjoyable event and I will probably do it again at some point in the future but I think it needs changes. I don't mind paying €100 but I think they need to build in more value. Examples would be to include the jersey in the fee and offer more substantial food at the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

To add, I started just after 7am with two friends and I had the impression that we were late starters. I met one man who started at 4.30am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

The numbers were definitely down on previous years ,Cahersiveen and Kenmare were much saner as regards queueing Max 5 mins in each for grub. A few years ago it was chaotic. From what I'm hearing in Killarney the guards want numbers capped at 8.000 max on health and safety grounds. A few years ago 11.800 took part and it was chaotic. It took the emergency services an age to get to the accidents that year so the Guards spoke to the committee.
    Our day went super, on the road before 6 and there was a good flow of cyclists, made handy time along the coast, where the views were breathtakingl!. That guy in Cahersiveen is gas as you enter the food station,very witty banter with the cyclists The rest of the day we made good ground, not so many club teams as in previous years, a few from Northern Ireland were really motoring along, Tyrone and Down, very strong guys there. Coomakista is a terrific climb, nice and steady with fabulous views all the way up and over.
    Molls gap was a bit tougher. The legs were feeling the Kms but with the help of the beats :Dwe made it. So back to Killarney, despite a few have a go heroes and their crazy descending antics, passing on the left, ignoring red flags:mad:.Unfortunately I saw 2 accidents and heard a few Ambulances, hopefully nothing too serious, a speedy recovery to all.
    Medal collected and swapping stories in Killarney,one guy with a 4,000e bike whose Di2 died so he spent 165 Kms in his 13 sprocket, no thanks, at least he was in the small front ring. a good spread was laid on and much needed refreshments, that physio worked wonders on my oh so tired legs.
    So another Ring done and dusted, thanks to the Organising committee for their hard work, I would say we don't know half of what they put up with. Thanks to all the volunteers, marshalls,emergency services who each year make the event run so smoothly. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.
    See ye all next year.

• Advertisement

Coming down molls gap. A guy from Killarney cc passed me.

I aid to myself. He knows this decent I’ll follow his lines. I had great Craig following him down.
    I had my new bike with disc brakes. Wouldn’t have followed him on my other bike with rims

Advertisement