Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭brianomc

Do u have to pay for the medal?

No, every finisher gets one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Yes there is a medal ...same medal as last year by looks of It's just the ribbon has changed.

We usually leave at 6 but this year aim to leave just before 5 .

I don't recall getting a medal and I've done it twice :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I don't recall getting a medal and I've done it twice :eek:

Medals only started last year. Probably introduced as result of the tge nice medal given by the Beara cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Yeah, medals only started being given out last year. Previously you got a certificate of participation which usually got blown away on the way back to the car in my case. :D

The medals are free but you have to pay for the jerseys - I think around 30 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

Great stuff thanks folks

• Advertisement

The rubber wristbands were nice mementos too. They're gone this year though and have been replaced with the paper wristbands most sportive use

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

DeepBlue wrote: »
    The rubber wristbands were nice mementos too. They're gone this year though and have been replaced with the paper wristbands most sportive use

What? There goes my collection now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 smurph6

So what's the weather looking like. Done very little training this year

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Brendan Hennessy

Hi all,

OldVelos will host a vintage expo on Friday at registration and we'll be on the road supporting the Ian O'Connell fund on Saturday. You might just recognise one of us .... http://www.oldvelos.com/molls-gap-is-easy-on-a-54inch-gear/

smurph6 wrote: »

Rumours of 24C!! Ye gonna boil out there!!

I be ok......cos I be having a cold beer and Burger in the Heineken Tent (cos of lack of training!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

smurph6 wrote: »

Morning / early afternoon 16c - 22c with a light southwesterly with some clouds, high of 24c and sunnier conditions by late afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Planning to head out at 7:30 to get ahead of the warm weather and leave time to stop for a beer or two on the way round

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Alfista

razorblunt wrote: »
    I've committed to it this year, never done one before.
    Is it do-able on a hybrid?

Definitely. As others have said you'll see people on all sorts of bikes. The first time I did it I got chatting to an American lad who was doing it on his mountain bike complete with very chunky tyres ... It's a great event: enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Think numbers are down a little

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Hopelessone1

Alfista wrote: »
    Definitely. As others have said you'll see people on all sorts of bikes. The first time I did it I got chatting to an American lad who was doing it on his mountain bike complete with very chunky tyres ... It's a great event: enjoy!

Heard a few lads doing it on high Nelly’s and someone on a penny farthing 😂
    Think that would be fair torture on either of those bikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Do most people register the night before?
    I was planning on registering on the morning but it could be awkward as the parking seems to be a bit out from the registration area so not sure what comes in the pack, would it need to be dropped back in the car?

All you get in the pack is your bike tag, 4 cable ties and your wrist band. There's nothing that needs to be dropped back to the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Olsky

liam7831 wrote: »
    Think numbers are down a little

Think numbers are down a lot. The days of the non refundable lottery entry fees and the €200 premium places are long gone.

Sometimes you reap what you sow.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Weather's looking good at least, last two years it pissed rain all the way to Caherciveen.

I've done it before with non-cyclists and ended up hammering the climbs and then doing a lot of standing around getting cold waiting for people. Decided to gather some donations this year and challenge myself to come in under 6.5 hours (excluding stops). Should be doable despite my lack of praperation, though at 24 degrees I'll be flying through the water. Get on the road for 6/6:30, hopefully clear the main crowds on the way to Caherciveen and get back to Killarney in time to see the English crash out of the WC.

I'll probably be in my orwell gear with boards shorts because it's the only snug short-sleeve I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Olsky wrote: »
    Think numbers are down a lot. The days of the non refundable lottery entry fees and the €200 premium places are long gone.

Sometimes you reap what you sow.

it is a bucket list type event for most people who will do it once and never again so the numbers were always going to level off and drop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 JMM12

If anyone has signed up last minute and is looking for cheap accommodation we have a spare room in an Airbnb centre of Killarney. Friend had to drop out. Give me a pm if interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

BailMeOut wrote: »
    it is a bucket list type event for most people who will do it once and never again so the numbers were always going to level off and drop.

I've done it a few times and would do it again, i think it's a great day out.

But with the past few years price gouging and bo11ox acting, really put me off.
    It's an hour down the road to it, so at least I was never shafted on accomdation as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

enjoy everyone. I am missing this year for 2nd only since 2010 and am very jealous.

For 1st timers enjoy every minute of it. The highlight of the day for me is ice cream and coffee at Annie's in Sneem and the excitement at the top of Moll's Gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I have a house available last minute if anyone is interested, 2 double bedrooms, and also a folding bed, located in the center of town- new renovation, in quiet neighborhood- pics available etc, or if someone wants only a double room, let me know- pm for info

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Atom Ant

BailMeOut wrote: »

I disagree. It seems quite ridiculous to support an event that charges cyclists 103.50 euros entry fee in the name of charity. To put it in perspective, It is cheaper to fly to Paris and watch the tour de france. When we stop attending the event they will have no choice but to reduce the absurd entry fee.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/230x150q90/921/laJWkP.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Atom Ant

https://imageshack.com/a/img921/903/OpjDVK.jpg

No freeloaders!! No pay, no play. I thought the idea behind closing a road to car traffic was to protect cyclists, not to see whether you paid the entry fee. Cute whooores!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Atom Ant wrote: »
    I disagree. It seems quite ridiculous to support an event that charges cyclists 103.50 euros entry fee in the name of charity. To put it in perspective, It is cheaper to fly to Paris and watch the tour de france. When we stop attending the event they will have no choice but to reduce the absurd entry fee.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/230x150q90/921/laJWkP.jpg

GranFondo events around Europe cost similar enough. At least compare like for like. The one in Belfast was similarly priced and despite a good route had some shambolic planning stop wise

They can charge what they want if they really want to

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Hi all, thinking of piling on at the last minute. Does anyone have a registration that they aren't using? Not looking for a freebie obviously!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I have a house available last minute if anyone is interested, 2 double bedrooms, and also a folding bed, located in the center of town- new renovation, in quiet neighborhood- pics available etc, or if someone wants only a double room, let me know- pm for info

PM Sent.

• Advertisement

Hi all, thinking of piling on at the last minute. Does anyone have a registration that they aren't using? Not looking for a freebie obviously!

Would Registration still be opened....???? Dont think the event is full so I would expect they will take your money even at this stage

Advertisement