Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New businesses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

etxp wrote: »
    That doesn't seem to be documented anywhere thought, just word of mouth?

I was chatting to a warden today.

He confirmed that one has 15-20 minutes grace to shop in Tesco without a ticket.

In addition he confirmed one gets the euro back if you spend in excess of 15 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

All the ticket machines are now covered up at Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭irishgeo

ureds wrote: »
    All the ticket machines are now covered up at Tesco.

covid 19 or another reason

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Thou

Was in Castlebar today and all considered with the few shops open, town seemed fairly busy, and most seem to be enforcing correct social distancing measures the last few weeks by not letting too many customers into the shop at one time. However today shopped in Super Valu and was very disheartened to see there was no policing of distancing and amount of people let into the shop at any one time. Very busy and pretty much alot of people up on top of each other in the aisles, staff also not adhering to correct measures and just oblivious, won't be returning there while this crisis is ongoing.

Thou wrote: »
    Was in Castlebar today and all considered with the few shops open, town seemed fairly busy, and most seem to be enforcing correct social distancing measures the last few weeks by not letting too many customers into the shop at one time. However today shopped in Super Valu and was very disheartened to see there was no policing of distancing and amount of people let into the shop at any one time. Very busy and pretty much alot of people up on top of each other in the aisles, staff also not adhering to correct measures and just oblivious, won't be returning there while this crisis is ongoing.

I was up at the other end of town and Tesco are doing a stellar job at the door and reminding customers to not dilly dally whilst shopping and delay the customer through put.

All customers adhering to the 2 metres whilst queuing and uponst entry.

Not busy at all.

Headed over to Aldi.No queue at all and very quiet.

I was heartened that the main commercial area of town was so quiet on a sunny Easter Saturday.

• Advertisement

Indeed was in Tesco a week or so back and they seem to be implementing the correct measures as best they can, haven't been in Dunnes but from driving past it looks like they are doing same.

Really don't like singling out one business over another for not enforcing what's required during this crisis, but it strikes a chord when you see a total disregard for people's safety and all that's happening at the minute on the front-line.

Different world for health care staff and covid sufferers other side of town, why a well established reputable, local business can't at least try do what's best for the greater good at present is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Have to agree some places are doing an amazing job in this tough time. I'm shopping for a number of cocooning houses and in Tesco, Dunnes, SuperValu, Centra at station road, Gavin's, Homeland, Cannons fruit and veg, Hopkins Butchers, Cafe Rua and loads of other shops every week. Everyone wanting different things from different places. Some have accounts in some shops for newspapers and other bits which gets me to so many places.

To be fair they're all doing amazing. SuperValu was quite when I was there so can't comment on busy periods. Tesco and Dunnes are playing a blinder but the smaller shops are doing just as good a job. Taking Gavin's beside Cafe Rua as an example it's such a small place they've a one route in operation in the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Dudda wrote: »
    Have to agree some places are doing an amazing job in this tough time. I'm shopping for a number of cocooning houses and in Tesco, Dunnes, SuperValu, Centra at station road, Gavin's, Homeland, Cannons fruit and veg, Hopkins Butchers, Cafe Rua and loads of other shops every week. Everyone wanting different things from different places. Some have accounts in some shops for newspapers and other bits which gets me to so many places.

To be fair they're all doing amazing. SuperValu was quite when I was there so can't comment on busy periods. Tesco and Dunnes are playing a blinder but the smaller shops are doing just as good a job. Taking Gavin's beside Cafe Rua as an example it's such a small place they've a one route in operation in the shop.

Absolutely agree. I hope these businesses will be awarded with increased local support. now and after this crisis has passed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Absolutely agree. I hope these businesses will be awarded with increased local support. now and after this crisis has passed

I know it can be very hard to do, especially with the current financial situation of many people across the country, but where possible we should be supporting our local businesses. Even if it's just something as small as buying the paper or milk in the shop up the road instead of heading into the bigger towns to do it. It helps keep the lights on and when this is all over, the people who can't travel to the likes of Ballina or Castlebar will still have a shop in their local village to go to

https://westernpeople.ie/2020/05/24/mayo-firm-hopes-to-create-30-new-jobs-after-winning-major-contract/#.Xsq9eWhKjIU

Walsh Group (Engineering) to take over the old Volex building in Castlebar. 2/3 of the building for their operations and 1/3 for a new innovation centre. terms have been agreed with Mayo Co Co. Lets hope something actually happens this time. nice to see some posive jobs news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭muddle84

https://westernpeople.ie/2020/05/24/mayo-firm-hopes-to-create-30-new-jobs-after-winning-major-contract/#.Xsq9eWhKjIU

Walsh Group (Engineering) to take over the old Volex building in Castlebar. 2/3 of the building for their operations and 1/3 for a new innovation centre. terms have been agreed with Mayo Co Co. Lets hope something actually happens this time. nice to see some posive jobs news

Does that mean that EZ living will be moving out too? Or is that a different part of the building?

Id say the EZ living unit is staying. it's a very big building

• Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭naughto

They will have to move the car parts from the travelling sales men that when using it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Id say the EZ living unit is staying. it's a very big building

They'll be going from reading the article. 2/3 to Walsh and the final third to become some form of an Innovation Centre... "in the near future". There has been mutterings about an Innovation Centre for years now, not very innovative.

The deal looks like a fantastic deal for Walsh. Paying minimal rent for a massive unit. To put it in context, you'd pay more rent for a 4 bed house in Castlebar than they'll be paying for year 1. Of course, they've said they'll be investing huge money, and they'll be creating plenty of jobs with the "might buy it in 5 years time" cherry on top... it all sounds very Opensparkz-esque to me.

I'd say Hynes is looking to tick the box, of having undone the poor decision to purchase the place in the first instance, before he leaves the office.

Would it be a case of the more space they take the less rent they pay when it should be the other way around.
    They have to be desperate to get some 1 in there.

PARlance wrote:
    They'll be going from reading the article. 2/3 to Walsh and the final third to become some form of an Innovation Centre... "in the near future". There has been mutterings about an Innovation Centre for years now, not very innovative.

EZ living are not using the old production floor of volex. Most of their shop is in the front reception area and upstairs. I doubt they will be moving. There is a lot of empty space behind.
    I do see why you are sceptical about the rest. You would hope that the proposed investment is in the building instead of all in equipment specific to Walsh's etc to mitigate the cheap rent.
    Let's see.

EZ living are not using the old production floor of volex. Most of their shop is in the front reception area and upstairs. I doubt they will be moving. There is a lot of empty space behind.
    I do see why you are sceptical about the rest. You would hope that the proposed investment is in the building instead of all in equipment specific to Walsh's etc to mitigate the cheap rent.
    Let's see.

The article talks about the building in totality though. 2/3 Walsh, 1/3 Innovation.

I would assume the 1/3 is the current EZ Living space, it's a big space in itself... I have heard this EZ Living space was to be given over to an innovation centre some time ago. But in reality, the innovation centre won't go ahead imo and EZ will be still there for however long they want.

Sceptical is unfortunately my default position now when it comes to that building. Sceptical and realistic are often the same. I would say that the rent being charged is ridiculously low, and I don't think the Council should be offering below the market rate like that. Promises to invest and purchase aren't worth anything in reality. They do offer up a "good news" story for Hynes who will be stepping away as head of MayoCoCo though.

It would be great to see the building fully utilised again and for it to be ultimately sold. The Council really had no business buying it in the first place. Amazing to think that they did whilst letting one of the most historic buildings in the county rot away in front of their eyes, literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭elderberry

The Turlough Rd, Castlebar petrol station redevelopment has had Texaco signage on it since construction restarted. Not likely to do much for fuel price competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭All that fandango

Is Next gone?

Is Next gone?

Not sure but quite a few retailers were caught on the hop with the Government's fast tracked approach. Many won't be reopening until later in the month.

• Advertisement

PARlance wrote: »
    Not sure but quite a few retailers were caught on the hop with the Government's fast tracked approach. Many won't be reopening until later in the month.

Tk maxx isn't open either. Not sure how they are going to manage with people pawing through rails of clothes.

Anyone know what's going into old Ebs building Linenhall St.?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Ladbrokes have put in an application to move from their current Castle St premises to a much larger premises beside the Irish House.

Xenji wrote: »
    Ladbrokes have put in an application to move from their current Castle St premises to a much larger premises beside the Irish House.

the lads in the castle inn wont be happy with the extra walking :D

Xenji wrote:

I hope it's refused. Another bookies on main st. Does nothing for the town

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

irishgeo wrote: »
    the lads in the castle inn wont be happy with the extra walking :D

Jeebus, they can't move!!! What about the Bermuda triangle!!!

yop wrote: »

the what?

yop wrote: »

Castle inn prendergast bookies

naughto wrote: »

:D

• Advertisement

naughto wrote: »

If any drunken sailor goes missing, try Cafollas.

Can't for the life of me see why Ladbrokes would want to move away from two solid drinking pubs like that. The Irish House wouldn't have the same daytime trade, lads looking for a flutter, would it. The premises on Castle St is fairly big as well.

Advertisement