Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farewell George - When will we see your like again?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Does that mean Mark Robson commentating? please anyone but him.

I cannot stand him. I think mostly because he covered the dreadful games Ireland played in the 2007 WC. But still.

I think we shall all be tuning into English channel itv to watch the WC

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Tv3 have the rights. Now that will be ****e

TV3 studio line up is surprisingly really good
    Can't wait to see Murray Kinsella, if he is half as good on TV as his articles for 42.ie he gonna be very insightful

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

I dont think you should judge TV3 on their past coverage. I'm kind of looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭crisco10

Really didn't like George. Watched bbc as a result...might drift back to rte now. I quite like horgan and Rog. Full of insight into modern game. Popey is inoffensive if not amazing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Personally I will be judging tv3 on their absolutely rubbish picture quality.
    Its about on par with reception in an Alabama trailer park using a dead racoon with a banjo up its arse as an aeriel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

icdg wrote: »
    Who else is there? The only other Irish presenters with any significant experience of presenting rugby are Joanne Cantwell and Marie Therese Ni Dhubgail.

That's not to say it won't be someone we dont know - IIRC before becoming rugby presenter McGuirk was in the news department. But Daire is the heir apparent - he presented all of RTE's Pro12 coverage for four years.

McGurk is actually a former Ulster Interpro and an experienced coach. He covered sports for a long time for RTE and in print over the years as well as his current affairs background so his will be an extremely hard position to fill, on paper at least. In all honestly the chairs will move sidewards and Daire will slot in. I'd love to see Maire get a call up to some of the games; she has a lot going for her.

As to who replaces George Hook, well that's a Sisyphean task and that's a phase Hook himself might even say about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

mfceiling wrote: »
    So you prefer an old buffon who doesn't have much of a clue about the modern game and throws outdated soundbites to get a reaction.

Yes. Your point being?
    I'll prefer to listen to pundits who know what they are talking about and have an idea about the modern game.

You mean like Jeremy Guscott?

Excuse me but it's March and I'm just going outside to watch the grass grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭OldRio

He obviously cannot stand the success Schmidt has had with both Leinster and Ireland.

Or perhaps Joe ran over his dog a few years ago.

Good riddance to a poor pundit. In his defence I have to say his autobiography is a very good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Wow! Dara Ó Briain likes to get his beak into everything from Mock The Week to Stargazing and now a presenter of Rugby with his mates Ed Byrne and Brian Cox as Rugby pundits

I might write a strongly worded letter to RTÉ

Sarcasm? as Sheldon Cooper might say.

Or do you really not know that Messrs O'Briain and O'Brien are two completely different people.

One is a smug git with an affected avuncular TV manner

INPHO_00261607.jpg

Mr O'Brien.

And the other would probably have made a great prop forward
    Dara_O_Briain_1434808c.jpg

Mr O'Briain

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

The worst thing about Hook and McGurk leaving is less of this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

As opposed to a 73 year old man with ugly ties and talks about players and games that took place in the 50's...a real turn on:rolleyes:

What has his age got to do with anything? Completely ageist statement. And vey few on here condemning it.
    Ageism is as nasty and corrosive as sexism, racism, or gay bashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

Wang King wrote: »
    Personally I will be judging tv3 on their absolutely rubbish picture quality.
    Its about on par with reception in an Alabama trailer park using a dead racoon with a banjo up its arse as an aeriel

They're suppose to have their HD channel up and running for the WC coverage...... If they do, I may watch it.
    All depends on their lead commentator. Reckon it will be Mark Robson or Conor McNamara, who both have done a job for TV3 in the past. (just have to negotiate release from sky and bbc respectively).

ITV studio coverages is never the best, but on a positive note, they'll probably borrow either the Sky or BT Sport commentary team as they've done on last couple of occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Billy86 wrote: »
    So what you're basically saying is, George Hook is the rugby equivalent of Eamon Dunphy?

Talked to him before, nice guy to be fair, but his time like his football counterpart(s) has certainly passed.

Dunphy just talks ****e with his ManU/EPL is great goggles on.

Hook is playing devils advocate to the happy clappy views held by the other 2 panelists. Nothing wrong with that. Brent Pope is the weakest link in terms of analysis.
    Billy86 wrote: »
    And when that happens, you can be sure it is more often than not manufactured. That's why I don't like about it, as opposed to when you have genuine differences of opinion and disagreements on panels.

All analysis is manufactured, these guys all talk off air, they all know what they are going to say before they say it on camera

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

You've hit the nail on the head.
    RTE have got caught up in controversy for the sake of it. Fuelled by the likes of Graham Souness saying he was amazed by the way RTE covered soccer. Would take RTE ahead of ITV, but that's not a high bar. They are light years off Sky and BT.
    We need balanced, insightful and knowledgeable coverage. Dronefest must end!!
    Although I was never the greatest fan of Neville as a player, I absolutely love him as a pundit.
    Going off on a bit of a tangent here, but Richie Sadlier was a fantastic pundit during the world cup. So it goes without saying they put him in 'reserve' for matches some of the old dinosaurs are not bothered with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

From an outsider looking in, Hook was awful. Not only negative, but often plain wrong. Add in McGurk and his constant interruptions, and I virtually never watch RTE for rugby. It was BBC or France 2 for the 6N for me. Can't stand the Welsh pundits on the BBC though, Jonathan Davies has the sort of voice which could be piped continuously into a torture cell, it's that sort of grating, and yer man yesterday during the Italy Welsh game was practically creaming himself over the Welsh side.

I think the main guy should be fairly bland but know how to ask the right sort of questions, or at least get the pundits talking. I want the analysis to be aimed at the highest and not the lowest common denominator, if it's too technical for the casual fan - watch more rugby. I also reckon for each match they should invite someone from the opposition.

Luckily for the RWC there will be multiple viewing options, so finding something that suits shouldn't be too hard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Black Menorca

Why on earth would Conor O'Shea be an IRFU drone, they never employed him in his life?

He's keeping his nose clean for future prospects. :)

MJohnston wrote: »
    Nonsense imo, RoG and O'Shea are fantastic pundits, and when they're controversial they can actually back it up with substance unlike Hook.

can you remember when either made a controversial comment in their punditry in the last 12 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

DeadHand wrote: »
    If the females in question have forged playing and/or coaching careers at the highest levels of the men's professional game (you know, the thing they would be there to comment expertly on) then I'd agree completely. Until then it's just tokenism.

If female panels are your thing, I'd recommend Loose Women.

In other words, you think it's literally impossible for a woman to be on the RTE panel and deserve it. The RTE panel. And you declared this on a thread about George Hook, of all people.

walshb wrote: »
    And Hook isn't close to the opposite of that. He's plain anti Irish rugby. That is it. He offers no insight whatsoever. No matter how we play he cannot stomach us doing well.

He is a contrarian. We need more of his typre on out TV's, not less.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Not a huge fan of George Hook on his radio shows, but he always spoke his mind on the rugby analysis on RTE. Maybe he wasn't always right, but he gave his own views.

A lot of the more recent recruits on RTE - O'Shea, Shane Horgan and others - sound like insiders looking for IRFU jobs or ERFU jobs.

Spot on.

All Shaggy was short of doing was enthusing over Jamie's quiff. :D

Absolute drivel.

• Advertisement

Dempsey wrote: »
    The panel will be more sterile in future.

Without a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I think far too much assumption is being made about Hook's autonomy here. If the RTE producers decide that they want a contrarian on the panel, they'll get one. I have it on fairly good authority from people that have met Hook, that he was playing a part and didn't believe much of what he actually said.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I think far too much assumption is being made about Hook's autonomy here. If the RTE producers decide that they want a contrarian on the panel, they'll get one. I have it on fairly good authority from people that have met Hook, that he was playing a part and didn't believe much of what he actually said.

So you're saying Franno to replace Hook?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Neil3030 wrote: »

So he lacks Integrity then?

At least Franno would give honest criticism when required.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

can you remember when either made a controversial comment in their punditry in the last 12 months?

Maybe RTE should hire Roy "Chubby" Brown to replace him so?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Swiwi. wrote: »
    From an outsider looking in, Hook was awful. Not only negative, but often plain wrong. Add in McGurk and his constant interruptions, and I virtually never watch RTE for rugby. It was BBC or France 2 for the 6N for me. Can't stand the Welsh pundits on the BBC though, Jonathan Davies has the sort of voice which could be piped continuously into a torture cell, it's that sort of grating, and yer man yesterday during the Italy Welsh game was practically creaming himself over the Welsh side.

It was Martyn Williams, I think. I really liked him as a player and he always came across very well in interviews but he was grating in the commentary box. Every opportunity to speak was gushing praise for Wales. I think he called it the most amazing 40 minutes of rugby he had ever seen.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Maybe RTE should hire Roy "Chubby" Brown to replace him so?

I'll take that as a no then. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

If Hook had any actual underlying insight to his guff and bluster, I'd be sorry to see him go, but he really is very poorly informed and doesn't seem to have any feel for the modern game.

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    It was Martyn Williams, I think. I really liked him as a player and he always came across very well in interviews but he was grating in the commentary box. Every opportunity to speak was gushing praise for Wales. I think he called it the most amazing 40 minutes of rugby he had ever seen.

Very annoying indeed.

Advertisement