Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farewell George - When will we see your like again?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

The panel will be more sterile in future. I doubt we'll ever see a disagreement again! I'd give credit to someone that speaks their mind, whether its considered right or wrong, over people that play it safe with cliched PR coached analysis.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Delighted he's gone - he has become a parody of himself.
    Much sooner the good-natured and informed comment and opinion of the likes of Connor O'Shea than the ill-tempered, ill-informed and downright ignorant ranting of George Hook any day!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I think George did make some goods points at times, often times after a defeat I would agree with what he said, but the melodramatic 'Ireland are useless and are going to be hammered today' nonsense really was beyond tedious, I renember him being more measured with his comments when he commentated on the 2007 World Cup on Newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,327 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

mfceiling wrote: »
    Seriously, do you read the papers or keep up to date with rugby in general?

O'Shea is the Director of Rugby with Harlequins - I doubt very much that the English Rugby chiefs are watching Rte to see what Conor O'Shea is saying - maybe we can employ him if he doesn't speak his mind.

Horgan is studying to be a solicitor and again I doubt that he is watching what he says on Rte to land a "plum" job with the IRFU.

They sound boring as hell to me. Sound like they don't want to upset anyone in the Irish camp or Irish rugby set up in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,551 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

TheCitizen wrote: »
    They sound boring as hell to me. Sound like they don't want to upset anyone in the Irish camp or Irish rugby set up in general.

Or maybe its just been that there hasn't been a huge amount to negatively critique this season...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,025 ✭✭✭✭walshb

So slate and criticise for the sake of it? That's pathetic. And that is Hook for pretty much his entire punditry team.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Or maybe its just been that there hasn't been a huge amount to negatively critique this season...

Ireland winning back to back 6 Nations is a great achievement. Still, it took them 50 years or so to win a Grand Slam when they won it a few years back. They really blew the Grand Slam this season especially.

The current set up under Schmidt look to be in good nick, so maybe they'll come back stronger again for the World Cup and next season's 6 Nations. Schmidt may be poached though before next season.

Great to win the 6 Nations Championship again, but really should've beat Wales last week.

walshb wrote: »
    So slate and criticise for the sake of it? That's pathetic. And that is Hook for pretty much his entire punditry team.

Seems you want to argue with everyone in this thread that has a differing opinion to yours. The spirit of George Hook lives on!

So slate and criticise for the sake of it? .

No. But if you're watching it on TV, the last thing you want is happy clappers analysing the match. When you're at the match, be a happy clapper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Hook was only really happy when Ireland lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

I'm happier about McGurk going than Hook, Hook's an old fool but McGurk's demeanour is just plain unpleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,025 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Dempsey wrote: »
    Seems you want to argue with everyone in this thread that has a differing opinion to yours. The spirit of George Hook lives on!

Debating is what the forum is about.

George hook never debated. He simply slated for the sake of it. There's a huge difference. As mentioned, only chirpy and in form when we lost. A horror!

Debating is what the forum is about.

George hook never debated. He simply slated for the sake of it. There's a huge difference. As mentioned, only chirpy and in form when we lost. A horror!

Absolute drivel. Now who's being controversial for the sake of it! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Swan Curry wrote: »
    I'm happier about McGurk going than Hook, Hook's an old fool but McGurk's demeanour is just plain unpleasant.

I don't agree but he interrupts at ridiculous times. Hook's a bilious old fool. He always tries to sound profound by saying something like "in the modern era bla bla bla". It's always the modern era. Unless you go on to define what you mean by that it's just throat clearing.

I'd still like to have RTE get the WC though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

The great thing about George Hook is, if he read this thread this evening, he wouldn't give a flying f**k about what anyone says about him.

That's a VERY rare quality. Especially in this age of image and online persona.

Very few have that ability.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

George Hook makes me want to turn off RTE and go over to BBC.

Rte make me want to switch to BBC. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The great thing about George Hook is, if he read this thread this evening, he wouldn't give a flying f**k about what anyone says about him.

Well good for him, having that quality.

Unfortunately the ability to provide accurate or insightful rugby analysis is not a quality he does possess, and that is slightly more important for someone working as an analyst on television.

However I like him on a personal level, he came to our club a number of times and he was charming and good fun, and I hope he's happy in whatever he goes on to do. I just hope RTE don't feel the need to replace him directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

I guarantee you if he read this thread tonight he'd spend the first half hour of his Monday show complaining about it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

What is it with RTE presenters cutting across panelists or guests. Drives me mental.

Jackman, O'Gara and O'Shea have provided some fascinating insight into the game. It's what the majority of people want.

If they're not on I just pause game so I can fast forward through half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,252 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

An absolute horror. The most anti Irish pundit I have ever come across. Not even on his last day could he muster up any bit of praise for what happened today. Good riddance, and a terrible analyst to boot. His own analysis revolved around making excuses for us winning. That was it. Useless.
    Neil3030 wrote: »
    I certainly won't miss our national broadcaster completely undermining heroic days in Irish sport by making every game about the pantomime reactions of one man. Good bye, good luck, but time for a new approach please.

These 2 posts sum him up perfectly. He absolutely hated giving ireland credit for anything and he was always much happier slating us after a loss than pointing out positives after a win. He would suck the happyness out of you (that sounds bad lol!) with his negativity even after a win if it wasn't by a big margin. And even if we did win it was never us, it was always poor opposition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭stereomatic

icdg wrote: »
    I hadn't realised Tom McGuirk was retiring too. Did I miss that or was it just being kept quiet? Presumably Daire O'Brien will replace.
    wprathead wrote: »
    ugh

Wow! Dara Ó Briain likes to get his beak into everything from Mock The Week to Stargazing and now a presenter of Rugby with his mates Ed Byrne and Brian Cox as Rugby pundits

I might write a strongly worded letter to RTÉ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I like him and will miss the contrariness between himself and McGurk. Once you know what to expect from him he's entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 The lazy rat

Surely this decision has to be reversed?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

To you they sound boring.

To others it is seriously interesting to find out the miniscule details that make the game what it is.

mfceiling wrote: »
    To you they sound boring.

To others it is seriously interesting to find out the miniscule details that make the game what it is.

Do you need 3 pundits to crticique a game to within an inch of its life like a post match debrief?? Maybe thats what you want but its something I certainly dont want. I want to be entertained and Hook's comments about Pope basing his prediction of Eng/Fra game on the battle of Waterloo was apt as there it wasnt based on anything other than his own bias. Hook then pointed out how French club sides can collapse away from home and it was a genuine cause for concern. There was merit to the argument and the banter whilst the trio tried to seperate their heads from their hearts was amusing. Doubt it would happen with any selection of the rest of the regular paneliests

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭exgp

He is an absolute genius; why do you think RTE have a higher viewership than BBC in the North for matches. He is controversial and there is nothing wrong with that. He will be sorely missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Dempsey wrote: »
    Do you need 3 pundits to crticique a game to within an inch of its life like a post match debrief?? Maybe thats what you want but its something I certainly dont want. I want to be entertained and Hook's comments about Pope basing his prediction of Eng/Fra game on the battle of Waterloo was apt as there it wasnt based on anything other than his own bias. Hook then pointed out how French club sides can collapse away from home and it was a genuine cause for concern. There was merit to the argument and the banter whilst the trio tried to seperate their heads from their hearts was amusing. Doubt it would happen with any selection of the rest of the regular paneliests

Maybe if Horgan wore a funny hat and O'Shea sat on a really tall chair and talked in a funny voice, that might entertain you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

Unfortunately Shane Horgan looks set to become a fixture on our TV Sets, he just shouts and is a pain in the hole without the character of Hook.

ROG, Pope & COS aren't a bad mix. Please keep Daire O'Brien away aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Just putting this here for later review:

https://vine.co/v/O9EUELn2qwe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Rogs a better pundit than sexton

I like to see what Madigan could do if given more time behind the bench.

Advertisement