Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farewell George - When will we see your like again?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

mfceiling wrote: »
    Maybe if Horgan wore a funny hat and O'Shea sat on a really tall chair and talked in a funny voice, that might entertain you?

You remind me of this lad

As I said, I dont need a complete technical analysis of a match by the panel, what they currently do is quite good. 3 people droning repeating each others points is not what I want, what entertains me is when black meets white, so to speak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Hook has always said that he isn't a technical analyst, that he sees himself as an armchair fan who gets the chance to shout in the studio as opposed to shouting at the TV
    While I can't say I agree with everything he says, he is entertaining and very engaging, I will miss the auld blowhard

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Wang King wrote: »
    Hook has always said that he isn't a technical analyst, that he sees himself as an armchair fan who gets the chance to shout in the studio as opposed to shouting at the TV
    While I can't say I agree with everything he says, he is entertaining and very engaging, I will miss the auld blowhard

He's sometimes entertaining, but mostly I feel like throwing something at the screen when he's on. Glad he's finished now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,551 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Dempsey wrote: »
    what entertains me is when black meets white, so to speak

I've honestly no idea how you find that entertaining really because it essentially requires one panelist to be arguing the sky is red, and it's just tiresome and transparent to most people. When you're analysing a loss there's scope for disagreement in terms of what needs to be corrected, and I've seen plenty of that amongst the non-Hook panelists before. Hook is like the blatant internet troll who only indulges in hyperbole filled platitudes and fervently refuses to offer up any true analysis. I think most people find that really dull. And you can still offer good analysis without turning into something like the BBC's milquetoast, tedious football punditry. There's been plenty of international games Hook has skipped in the past and they've all been great.

As for McGurks replacement, as long as they don't interrupt or audibly mumble over the panelists, they'll be a massive improvement. Also reckon they should definitely be female (it's a shame we haven't reached a point where female pundits are acceptable tbh)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

MJohnston wrote: »

As for McGurks replacement, as long as they don't interrupt or audibly mumble over the panelists, they'll be a massive improvement. Also reckon they should definitely be female (it's a shame we haven't reached a point where female pundits are acceptable tbh)

BRING BACK JOANNE CANTWELL!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Do you need 3 pundits to crticique a game to within an inch of its life like a post match debrief?? Maybe thats what you want but its something I certainly dont want. I want to be entertained and Hook's comments about Pope basing his prediction of Eng/Fra game on the battle of Waterloo was apt as there it wasnt based on anything other than his own bias. Hook then pointed out how French club sides can collapse away from home and it was a genuine cause for concern. There was merit to the argument and the banter whilst the trio tried to seperate their heads from their hearts was amusing. Doubt it would happen with any selection of the rest of the regular paneliests
    So what you're basically saying is, George Hook is the rugby equivalent of Eamon Dunphy?

Talked to him before, nice guy to be fair, but his time like his football counterpart(s) has certainly passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

You remind me of this lad

As I said, I dont need a complete technical analysis of a match by the panel, what they currently do is quite good. 3 people droning repeating each others points is not what I want, what entertains me is when black meets white, so to speak
    And when that happens, you can be sure it is more often than not manufactured. That's why I don't like about it, as opposed to when you have genuine differences of opinion and disagreements on panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Phil Mitchell

I don't like the way Hook is being compared to Dunphy. Dunphy is a nasty, abusive, bullying type of person. Hook doesn't go around abusing people on a personal basis.

Hook would criticize a persons professional skills. Dunphy would assassinate a person, knowing that a lot of the time their families are watching. He would do it for the cheap laughs. He is a bully.

Hook is just opinionated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Lads I've just laughed the whole way through this thread. Probably because I could only hear George hooks voice reading it. :):):)

I have to say I will miss him. Didn't realise how old looking he was after getting. It really shows in that clip there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Just rewatching the pre Wales punditry, and it's clear just how clueless George was. Completely off the mark. Sure, the entire panel were cautiously optimistic and couldn't predict Ireland's game plan, but George was just off in his own world. He's a character and all that, but I won't be sorry to see him replaced by somebody who know what they're talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

I thought he wasn't retiring until after the RWC..?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

Have to say...... I'd be in the anti-hook camp.

I was flicking between RTE and BBC yesterday after the matches, and watching RTE was like watching a funeral; with Hook the lead mourner.

The BBC were much more complimentary towards Ireland. Although I thought they should have has somebody Irish in their Twickenham studio. I know they had Woodie up in Murrayfield, but they didn't even do a live link up to him. BBC also officially have broadcasting responsibilities to N.Ireland.

Back to Hook and RTE.
    While I agree we need to avoid sterile punditry like ITV, etc. We also need to avoid controversy for the sake of it. Getting sick of Dunphy (soccer), Spillane (gaa), and most of all Hook (amateur rugby).
    RTE need more intelligent punditry, with the right balance. The best at the moment is probably Neville and Carragher on Sky Soccer coverage.

Personally I think Connor O'Shea is one of the best around. He's done it as a player and he's doing it as a coach (Not like hook, who just has a big mouth)
    I don't agree with previous posts that say he's not wanting to rock the irfu boat.

Good luck to Hook on his semi retirement, but he won't be missed in my house. Just wish a few more would go with him.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

pajor wrote: »

All Ireland League playoffs aside, that was the last live rugby on RTE until next years Six Nations. Mad to think that but they won't have the rights to the World Cup warm up games or the World Cup itself.. When next years Six Nations arrives no doubt it will be a very different feel to RTE's coverage, though at this stage I can't see anyone other than Daire O'Brien getting the anchor job and presumably Horgan and/or ROG will fill Hook's place.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

I grew up with Hook (like many of us) and maybe it's Stockholm syndrome, or nostalgia or something else but I am going to miss him. The time is right for him to go but he has always been pure entertainment. Anyone who got upset by what he said is like a teenager getting upset by something that happened in WWE.

I liked his throwback comments to the days of yore. It's important to have a connection to your history, that will be all but gone now.

Sure, the analysis will probably improve ( not remarkably so thou because O'Shea has done a great job for years) but it's not exactly like we are starved for analysis in this day and age. I'll have to rely on comments by those two fools, Neil Francis and Steven Jones, to provide me with good conversation starters at work now...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Well good for him, having that quality.

Unfortunately the ability to provide accurate or insightful rugby analysis is not a quality he does possess, and that is slightly more important for someone working as an analyst on television.

However I like him on a personal level, he came to our club a number of times and he was charming and good fun, and I hope he's happy in whatever he goes on to do. I just hope RTE don't feel the need to replace him directly.

Certainly agree that he's an affable chap off-screen.

However, he's more than capable of being a decent analyst/pundit when the mood takes him.
    I remember him covering a Pro12 game a couple of years ago and some of his analysis was top drawer. It was light years away from the clichéd muck he comes out with for the internationals. He's on the panel to provide the armchair punditry and some controversy.
    Unfortunately, his newspaper articles are nowadays just as bad. I remember years ago that his articles were excellent. Now they're controversial just for the sake of it.
    I won't miss the 2015 incarnation of Hooky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭tritriagain

pajor wrote: »

Tv3 have the rights. Now that will be ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Ah. Now that I didn't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Also reckon they should definitely be female (it's a shame we haven't reached a point where female pundits are acceptable tbh)

If the females in question have forged playing and/or coaching careers at the highest levels of the men's professional game (you know, the thing they would be there to comment expertly on) then I'd agree completely. Until then it's just tokenism.

If female panels are your thing, I'd recommend Loose Women.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Why are ye saying Daire would get the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,027 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Have to say...... I'd be in the anti-hook camp.

I was flicking between RTE and BBC yesterday after the matches, and watching RTE was like watching a funeral; with Hook the lead mourner.

The BBC were much more complimentary towards Ireland. Although I thought they should have has somebody Irish in their Twickenham studio. I know they had Woodie up in Murrayfield, but they didn't even do a live link up to him. BBC also officially have broadcasting responsibilities to N.Ireland.

Back to Hook and RTE.
    While I agree we need to avoid sterile punditry like ITV, etc. We also need to avoid controversy for the sake of it. Getting sick of Dunphy (soccer), Spillane (gaa), and most of all Hook (amateur rugby).
    RTE need more intelligent punditry, with the right balance. The best at the moment is probably Neville and Carragher on Sky Soccer coverage.

Personally I think Connor O'Shea is one of the best around. He's done it as a player and he's doing it as a coach (Not like hook, who just has a big mouth)
    I don't agree with previous posts that say he's not wanting to rock the irfu boat.

Good luck to Hook on his semi retirement, but he won't be missed in my house. Just wish a few more would go with him.

Spot on. I was astounded by the lack of celebration/credit for the win. Conor and Pope did show some happiness, as did Tom, but it's like the occasion was lost on them. Jesus, we just retained the title. Did they not see how so important it was to England? The first time in 65 years we have done this and it was like a normal match day. Is it arrogance or stupidity? I am glad the fans saved the day for us at home watching, because the panel did nothing. As for Hook, he was disgusted that we won, and we have people here saying he's a genius?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

deise08 wrote: »
    Why are ye saying Daire would get the job?

Who else is there? The only other Irish presenters with any significant experience of presenting rugby are Joanne Cantwell and Marie Therese Ni Dhubgail.

That's not to say it won't be someone we dont know - IIRC before becoming rugby presenter McGuirk was in the news department. But Daire is the heir apparent - he presented all of RTE's Pro12 coverage for four years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

mfceiling wrote: »
    To you they sound boring.

To others it is seriously interesting to find out the miniscule details that make the game what it is.

Exactly. Its the same with soccer - if its a choice between Gary Neville tracing a goal back to individual small details or Giles, Dunphy and co drone endlessly on about honesty of effort and spoofers, I know which Id pick. RTE is a last resort for punditry in any sport, based largely on their preference for controversy over knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 55,027 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Exactly. Its the same with soccer - if its a choice between Gary Neville tracing a goal back to individual small details or Giles, Dunphy and co drone endlessly on about honesty of effort and spoofers, I know which Id pick. RTE is a last resort for punditry in any sport, based largely on their preference for controversy over knowledge

I was always amazed at the interest with Giles and Dunphy. They could barely string a sentence together to save their lives; all they had was the odd bit of contrived nonsense and controversy. After 2-3 episodes this was not at all interesting. It was far too predictable. But comparing to Hook is inaccurate. Hook has pretty much nothing to offer at all apart from a disgusted look on his face when we are doing well, followed by excuse for why we are doing well. That is it with him. It's not even controversy. He cannot hide his dislike for the rugby team. It's not punditry, and should have been axed years ago. I want punditry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,327 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Tobyglen wrote: »
    Unfortunately Shane Horgan looks set to become a fixture on our TV Sets, he just shouts and is a pain in the hole without the character of Hook.

ROG, Pope & COS aren't a bad mix. Please keep Daire O'Brien away aswell.

ROG is good. They need someone who will disagree with him from time to time. Hogan and O'Shea won't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,551 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

DeadHand wrote: »
    If the females in question have forged playing and/or coaching careers at the highest levels of the men's professional game (you know, the thing they would be there to comment expertly on) then I'd agree completely. Until then it's just tokenism.

If female panels are your thing, I'd recommend Loose Women.

Imo the women's game is sufficiently similar that I could easily see one of their players as part of the panels. Not a hint of tokenism.

If all male panels are your thing...well you've got pretty much every sports show on TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 The lazy rat

Swan Curry wrote: »
    I'm happier about McGurk going than Hook, Hook's an old fool but McGurk's demeanour is just plain unpleasant.

Harsh.

It a little like Jeremy C with Hook. I try to like him but I find it hard to. That said I hope he decides to defer he's retirement and stay on. Rugby just wouldn't be the same without his big personality. I hope this decision is reversed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Yesterday was a great day for Irish rugby fans.

Oh and we won back to back championships aswell.

Bye bye to rugbys pantomime baddy, I certainly won't miss him!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

You've hit the nail on the head.
    RTE have got caught up in controversy for the sake of it. Fuelled by the likes of Graham Souness saying he was amazed by the way RTE covered soccer. Would take RTE ahead of ITV, but that's not a high bar. They are light years off Sky and BT.
    We need balanced, insightful and knowledgeable coverage. Dronefest must end!!
    Although I was never the greatest fan of Neville as a player, I absolutely love him as a pundit.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Imo the women's game is sufficiently similar that I could easily see one of their players as part of the panels. Not a hint of tokenism.

If all male panels are your thing...well you've got pretty much every sports show on TV.

If playing/coaching in the professional game is a prerequisite to being part of the panel then both Hook and Pope have no business being there anyway. Lynne Cantwell would be preferable to both of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Does that mean Mark Robson commentating? please anyone but him.

I cannot stand him. I think mostly because he covered the dreadful games Ireland played in the 2007 WC. But still.

Advertisement