Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official EPCR Champions Cup Preview Thread - A New Hope

• 09-10-2014 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

10671231_733008766754608_863571843628972735_n.jpg?oh=01a75efba4e80722709420721e4728f5&oe=54C97838

Right, so we're a week away from the kick-off of the new and improved Heineken Cup European Professional Club Rugby Champions Cup. The TV deals are sealed, the awkward photo shoots are done and, erm, some of the fixtures have been announced.

Some of the dead wood of the Pro12 has been cleared out and we're now looking at a streamlined, super competitive tournament.
    Say what you want about how we got to this point, but the number of juicy ties every weekend is pretty exciting. The dual TV coverage is a bit of a pain but it does at least mean every game will be covered live so reinforce the sofa cushions, stock up on beers and salty processed foods, it's European rugby time again!

Pool winners and the three best placed runners-up to proceed.

Pool 1:
    ASM Clermont Auvergne
    Munster
    Sale Sharks
    Saracens

Round 1:
    Sale v Munster - Saturday 18/10/14, 1300 - Sky
    Saracens v Clermont - Saturday 18/10/14, 1515 - BT

Round 2:
    Munster v Saracens - Friday 24/10/14, 1945 - BT
    Clermont v Sale - Sunday 26/10/14, 1515 - Sky

The first of the pools of death sees Munster faced with a very difficult pool. Last year's runners-up, Saracens, have got off to a great start in the Premiership and have a big enough squad to fight on two fronts. Towards the end of last season, Clermont looked to be a spent force but have started the Top 14 season like a train; they always targetted Europe but perhaps under a new coach, they might re-focus on the Top 14? Sale bring up the rear in this pool and could lose interest as the competition wears on.
    This pool will be decided by narrow margins, probably depending on who fares best away from home. Munster could have an edge there in that opening their campaign away to Sale followed by hosting Saracens could see them with two wins on the board before the break for the internationals.
    Given that Munster, Clermont and Saracens are likely to take points off each other, it's easy to think that this will be one of the pools from which only one team progresses.
    FL's prediction: Saracens to progress thanks to their ability to grind out losing BPs.

Pool 2:
    Castres Olympique
    Harlequins
    Leinster
    London Wasps

Round 1:
    Quins v Castres - Friday 17/10/14, 1945 - BT
    Leinster v Wasps - Sunday 19/10/14, 1715 - BT

Round 2:
    Castres v Leinster - Sunday 26/10/14, 1300 - Sky
    Wasps v Quins - Sunday 26/10/14, 1715 - BT

A draw that most Leinster fans were initially happy with has been made to look even better now that all three opponents have got off to slow starts domestically. Castres have always been ambivalent towards Europe but will very likely be even more focussed on the Top 14 now that they languish in tenth spot. Wasps have hit the headlines for the wrong reasons in recent days so their eye may be taken off the ball too, while Quins have been up and down so far. The elephant in the room is, of course, Leinster's own stuttering start to the season; crippled by injuries and lacking any real cohesion, they may not be able to take full advantage of the kind draw.
    An opener at home to Wasps, in the slightly bizarre Sunday evening time-slot, should help to settle their nerves before a tricky trip to Castres.
    FL's prediction: Leinster's squad depth to carry them through, Quins to qualify as runner-up.

Pool 3:
    Leicester
    RC Toulon
    Scarlets
    Ulster

Round 1:
    Leicester v Ulster - 18/10/14, 1945 - BT
    Toulon v Scarlets - 19/10/14, 1515 - Sky

Round 2:
    Ulster v Toulon - 25/10/14, 1300 - Sky
    Scarlets v Leicester - 25/10/14, 1945 - BT

If Munster thought they got a bad draw... Leicester have been awful in the league but they always up their game for Europe, plus Brad Thorn has now arrived. Toulon are quite simply the best team in Europe, with an even stronger squad than last year, and the Scarlets can give anyone a game on their day. With the way the fixtures have fallen, Ulster's campaign could be over by the end of October; a Saturday lunchtime kickoff is not what they would have liked to welcome Toulon to Ravenhill
    FL's prediction: Hard to see past Toulon dominating, everyone else to take points off one another and no runner-up to progress.

Pool 4:
    Bath Rugby
    Glasgow
    Montpellier
    Toulouse

Round 1:
    Glasgow v Bath - 18/10/14, 1515 - BT
    Toulouse v Montpellier - 19/10/14, 1300 - Sky

Round 2:
    Bath v Toulouse - 25/10/14, 1515 - BT
    Montpellier v Glasgow - 25/10/14, 1715 - Sky

An absolutely fascinating pool; Glasgow are the early pace-setters in the Pro12, Bath are second in the Premiership and Montpellier have impressed in the Top 14, while four-time European champions Toulouse have been awful and currently occupy 11th position in the Top 14. A lot will depend on the attitude of the French teams; Montpellier are nigh on invincible at home, will they bother to travel? Will the weakest Toulouse squad of recent times have any interest in Europe? Do Glasgow and Bath have the squad depths to compete in Europe and domestically?
    FL's prediction; Haven't a rashers. I'd love to see Glasgow progress but their European pedigree is ropey and away wins will he hard to come by.

Pool 5:
    Benetton Treviso
    Northampton
    Ospreys
    Racing Metro 92

Round 1:
    Racing v Saints - 18/10/14, 1815 - Sky
    Ospreys v Treviso - 19/10/14, 1300 - Sky

Round 2:
    Saints v Ospreys - 25/10/14, 1715 - Sky
    Treviso v Racing - 26/10/14, 1715 - BT

A lot of this depends on how much Racing decide to target Europe. They are optimistic Jonny Sexton will be back and they look a much happier group of players this season; you still get the feeling that the Top 14 remains their priority though. Northampton sit atop the Premiership while the Ospreys are 5 from 5 in the Pro12 so there is no shortage of in-form teams in this pool. Treviso are yet to win, or even get a losing BP this season and will be dishing out bonus points like so many dolcetti.
    FL's prediction: Two teams to progress, most likely Saints and Ospreys.

What are the odds?
    Toulon, not surprisingly, are at 5/2 to win the trophy for the third year on the bounce. Somewhat more surprisingly, Leinster remain second favourites at 6/1, with Saints 7/1, Clermont and Saracens 8/1. Ulster and Munster are further back at 20/1.
    The real value bet is Glasgow at 60/1, definitely worth a punt.

Who will win? 104 votes

Toulon
    0%
    Leinster
    42%
    Neil3030pickarooney[Deleted User]moby2101Akrasiacase_sensitivePhoneheadMackaIompairpatmac-( i )- WickerDave_The_Sheepnc6000stephen_nmatthew8duckysaucemaddnessirishbucsfantomred1molloyjh 44 votes
    Northampton
    8%
    rrpc[Deleted User]briantwinktulu123airuserKinger83TomoBhoy[Deleted User]OlManRiver 9 votes
    Clermont
    4%
    eyeball kidsydthebeatRigor Mortisbaker59mullyboyee 5 votes
    Saracens
    3%
    Big NellyclevtrevHagzdarsheblows 4 votes
    Ulster
    8%
    chupacabraJohn_CmickcDiabhal Beagcityman 18CrockedLarbre34bilstonEponymous 9 votes
    Munster
    7%
    nordydanWeleaseWoderickawec19543261Heno97leonard7PluckyGeorge Hook 8 votes
    Racing
    20%
    IcebergTristram[Deleted User]jprenderDDC1990Judgement DayMikeCork2009Tomtom364mayo_ladd1980Fireball07daramikeTrishad7philthrill69IanOBojimbo94suggybearSands81F34Molester Stallone II 21 votes
    Glasgow
    2%
    errlloydpadraig29Buer 3 votes
    AN Other
    0%
    Pudsy33 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Leinster
    Leinster and Toulon to progress. I can't call the other 3.

Like you FL I really hope Glasgow push on in Europe this year. They have to back up their league form sooner or later. I'd like to think Munster can progress if, as you say, they can win the first two matches. LBPs might only be needed away to Clermont and Saracens then, however they might require 9/10 points from the Sale matches.

I'm intrigued to see how the 5 + 3 qualification (as opposed to 6 + 2) changes the dynamic of pools. It should mean more teams aren't 'out' of the running early in the pool stages. Of course it means that the intricate permutations that have decided pools in previous years (tries scored etc) may not be as important.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Glasgow
    I think Ulster might surprise people and top that pool. Toulon have an unimpressive record on the road in Europe and don't wake up until the latter stages. They've had two of the easiest pools in recent years and have still managed to lose to Cardiff last season and spluttered past Glasgow and Exeter by a single score. They were clinging on for dear life in Glasgow, I recall.

Leinster
    The positive for Toulon is their easy start, at home to Scarlets. That's a likely five pointer. They can probably rest a few for that and then send the strongest side to Ulster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭WTO

Cheers for taking the time to write that. I rebaptise you current legend.

Leinster
    ABT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Leinster
    ABT

Sarries?! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Buer wrote: »
    I think Ulster might surprise people and top that pool. Toulon have an unimpressive record on the road in Europe and don't wake up until the latter stages. They've had two of the easiest pools in recent years and have still managed to lose to Cardiff last season and spluttered past Glasgow and Exeter by a single score. They were clinging on for dear life in Glasgow, I recall.

Leicester are a bit wobbily at the moment so not a bad time to get the away game in against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Leinster
    Sarries?! :D

ABTOS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

AN Other
    No votes for Leinster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Leinster
    molloyjh wrote: »
    ABTOS?

ABTOSOCOMOSOCOHOWOLOSOUOBOGOMOTOTONOOOR?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,808 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Ulster
    Regards the vote for the eventual winners I'm afraid I've gone for the team everyone loves to hate...Saracens... Obviously the knockouts can be hard to predict but it's hard to look past Saracens and Toulon at the moment, although Clermont are looking ominously good, or at least were until last weekend. If a team outside those three wins they will have done very well.

I'm not sure who will provide the strongest assault from Ireland. Leinster have the 'friendliest' pool so I guess you'd say they have the best chances of making the last 8 but I think all three of our ECC provinces are much of a muchness at the moment, although I don't really know where Ulster stand as we've been playing with one hand tied behind our backs so far this season due to a dubious selection policy.

It would also be nice for Glasgow to mount a decent challenge for once, the troubles facing Rangers and even to an extent Celtic provide an opportunity for rugby in Glasgow (albeit there are a few fans of those clubs who I wouldn't want anywhere near a rugby ground), it's very large city and should be capable of supporting a top European rugby team.

Anyway, having posted a lack of enthusiasm about the new rugby season a couple of weeks ago I'm beginning to get excited, as FL says whatever about how we got here, the one positive is the new slim lined competition which I personally think will be a step up, governance and the politics is another matter of course, but hopefully the rugby will be brillant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Leinster
    After last weekend especially, that is understandable. I can't see Leinster winning any silverware this season, but I hope I'm proved wrong.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Fixtures for Rounds 3 & 4 out now:

Round 3:

6/12/14 17:30 Munster v ASM Clermont
    6/12/14 19:45 Ulster v Scarlets
    7/12/14 15:15 Harlequins v Leinster

Round 4:

13/12/14 19:45 Leinster v Harlequins
    14/12/14 16:15 CET (15:15 GMT) ASM Clermont v Munster
    14/12/14 17:15 Scarlets v Ulster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Leinster
    Saturday night kick-off for Leinster v Quins so, 19.45 should give plenty of time for everyone to get tanked up the atmosphere to build.

Leinster
    That's not a bad Sunday KO time for the day trippers.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

European Challenge Cup fixtures not till Monday BTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ulster
    Both of the Leinster v Harlequins fixtures only on BT Sport. What a total and utter ******* con. I could concede after all the trouble that the PR teams got dibs for their home games to be on their preferred broadcaster, but for BT to shove in and get a Leinster game in Lansdowne is just b0ll0x. The Pro12 teams werent the ones with the problem here. We were fine with Sky to continue under ERC.

I'm not subscribing to another pay broadcaster for our home games, no longer give a **** if I miss them, we rolled over too far for that ******* PRL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Larbre, how else do you think they can increase the TV revenue by 60%?

All three away games for the Irish provinces are on Sundays. Making it a bit difficult to get as many Irish fans over.

Ulster
    Winters wrote: »
    Larbre, how else do you think they can increase the TV revenue by 60%?

All three away games for the Irish provinces are on Sundays. Making it a bit difficult to get as many Irish fans over.

I'm not fussed about the fixtures taking place in England, that was expected.

BTs main interest and initial trouble causing deal was for PR games and Euro games involving PR clubs. That deal was already an increase in revenue coming into the game.

When it came time to hammer out the share arrangement with Sky, BT Sport should have been given no lean over the home games of Pro12 clubs. That should have been the compromise. The problem was not of our making. I couldnt give a monkeys how they go about making up the rest of their TV revenue after that.

The Pro12 clubs and its structure and its fanbase and its attendances are too precarious for the IRFU, WRU/RRW, FIR and SRU not to be looking after the interests of their supporters, and that means not p1ssing them off with more costs just to keep up.

Leinster
    Should we rename this as the general competition thread?

Brive have made 13 changes for their trip to Gloucester. It looks like all the French sides in the Challenge Cup are naming second teams so no change there!

Brive: 15 Alfie Mafi, 14 Elia Radikedike, 13 Baptiste Delage, 12 Thomas Sanchou, 11 Guillaume Namy, 10 Riaan Swanepoel, 9 Nicolas Bezy,
    8 Kieran Murphy, 7 Poutasi Luafutu, 6 Hugues Briatte, 5 Russlan Boukerou, 4 Peet Marais, 3 Damien Jourdain, 2 Louis Acosta, 1 Karlen Asieshvili.

Replacements: 16 Thomas Acquier, 17 Damien Lavergne, 18 Yusuf Tuncer, 19 Victor Lebas, 20 Fabien Sanconnie, 21 Damien Neveu, 22 Anderson Neisen, 23 Hugo Veyssiere.

• Advertisement

Ulster
    Probably best to have separate Champions Cup and Challenge Cup threads. Connacht fans will be following different permutations and with 40 odd clubs it might get confusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Saracens
    At the moment I can't see Leinster winning, just with injury portfolio at the moment and a lot of chopping and changing it seems a season to early. My opinion will be different next season mind you. I think it is a season that MOC needs to get the younger players up to speed on playing in Europe so they get the experience etc to make a push next season. I wasn't too sure they would get out of group as I thought Quins would be strong but they seem to be in a similar position to Leinster at the moment. With Castre having a mare at the moment in T14 I dont even see them bothering with this tournament and even thou Wasps are going great guns I can't see them beating any of the teams away.

So I think Leinster will sneak in Qtr's but don't think they will go much further.

Munster have horrible group and I think they will struggle to get out of it but then again it is Munster and they will fill Thomand for each game and big atmosphere so they could sneak it but will have to wait and see.....not having a pop at Munster or anything but I would love Clermont to win this season, just dont want to see Toulon win it and think Clermont are the best set up for it.....plus I hate Sarries :-)

Ulster I think are the best set up for this season from an Irish point of view, they have the least amount of injuries and have lots of experience. Leicester are in real bad place at the moment and could have there eyes on the Premiership as alot of UK pundits are saying they will struggle to make the play offs. So maybe they could catch them off guard and Ulster are well used to playing Leicester home and away....

Other groups, Glasgow are a strange one, will they really try in this competition? they nearly won the Rabo last year because they where out early from Heino and then could concentrate on Rabo. Both competitions have changed names now but will Glasgow try and go all guns for the Pro 12 and just see the EPCR as a bit of a bonus? I can see Toulouse coming out of this group

Northampton will win there group. Can't see Racing doing much to be honest

So thats my opinion....

Leinster
    In some ways Toulon winning it again might force a few people to sit up and take notice of the way that money is dominating and ultimately harming the game. The English already have, but seem content to participate in a race to the top with the French rather than actually address the real issue of sustainability.

Leinster
    ssaye2 wrote: »

Cian Healy was apparently the one to watch when they first put those up on Monday. After a couple of people pointed it out on Twitter they quickly updated it. Really the one to watch for Leinster should be Ruddock at this stage.

Leinster
    Toulon have added Nicholas Sanchez to their Euro squad in place of Michalak .

Leinster
    Toulon's 24-man squad for their home game against Scarlets, no danger of them sending out a weakened team anyway.

Forwards (13) : CHIOCCI, MENINI, ORIOLI, GUIRADO, HAYMAN, CHILACHAVA, TAOFFIFENUA, BOTHA, WILLIAMS, MASOE, FERNANDEZ LOBBE, S.ARMITAGE, J.SMITH.

Backs (11) : CLAASSENS, TILLOUS BORDE, GITEAU, BASTAREAUD, WULF, D.SMITH, MERMOZ, O’CONNOR, D.ARMITAGE, HALFPENNY, HABANA.

It will be interesting to see who they pick in the back three, will Halfpenny get the nod over Delon?

Leinster
    very loud team anyway! :pac:

Halfpenny's just had the one appearance hasn't he? (Loss v Toulouse). Has Delon done well?

Ridiculous squad :(

Leinster
    very loud team anyway! :pac:

Just goes to show you can't buy class.
    Ridiculous squad :(

A selection of Toulon players not involved this week:
    Martin Castrogiovanni, Fabien Barcella, Craig Burden, Mamuka Gorgodze, Jocelino Suta, Gerhard Vosloo, Freddie Michalak, Nicolas Sanchez, Drew Mitchell.

They really are taking the piss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

The BaaBaas may as well cease to exist

Advertisement