Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank League 2014-2015 talk/gossip/rumours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

bamboozle wrote: »
    TH is going to be coaching at U20 level this season up in Dublin I believe.

On the whole U20's v's AIL 2A team argument, I think UCD's performance last season is a pretty good way to gauge. They started off the season well, then 2 things happened, the pitches got softer and teams realised the way to beat the lighter faster college teams is to strangle them up front, once the pitches hardened towards the end of the season UCD's form picked up.

Not much news from Castle Avenue on new signings, 3 of the UBL winning team are emigrating, another couple retiring. Some signings from Trinity and UCD.
    Trevor coaching Blackrock u20 side. Got teaching job in Dublin. Shame for coach of his ability he is only coaching 20s. Would love to see him coaching a division 1 AIL side.

20s sides would beat some sides in 2B but just wouldn't give all or most sides in division 2 a "going over" and would struggle not just in winter with heavier ground conditions.

AIL fixtures will be released next Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SA16

In 2A, how do people see the two that came down from 1B, Blackrock and Dungannon, getting on this season?

SA16 wrote: »
    In 2A, how do people see the two that came down from 1B, Blackrock and Dungannon, getting on this season?
    Wont go back up to 1B IMO. They've had changes to their coaching set ups and don't see them getting the 11/12 wins each to go back up. Will be close enough to top
    How do you think they'll do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SA16

I can't see either being too far from the top, Rock's coaching set up looks good this year. But to be honest, whether or not they will challenge for promotion, there are too many teams I don't know much about in the league for me to have a proper opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Stainalert

Wont go back up to 1B IMO. They've had changes to their coaching set ups and don't see them getting the 11/12 wins each to go back up. Will be close enough to top
    How do you think they'll do?

Blackrock coach Emmet Farrell and is one of the best coaches in the AIL - I think Rock will be better but may struggle for a bit of quality - I would expect them to try and blood some good ex Rock school youngsters and see where that gets them. They will need good halfbacks and I am not sure they have them but as I said Farrell will definitely improve them.

They are looking at giving the whole club a bit of a face lift

• Advertisement

SA16 wrote: »
    I can't see either being too far from the top, Rock's coaching set up looks good this year. But to be honest, whether or not they will challenge for promotion, there are too many teams I don't know much about in the league for me to have a proper opinion.
    Wont be too far but wont be in promotion places. Who do you know in division? Do you have a dark horse to do well?
    Stainalert wrote: »
    Blackrock coach Emmet Farrell and is one of the best coaches in the AIL - I think Rock will be better but may struggle for a bit of quality - I would expect them to try and blood some good ex Rock school youngsters and see where that gets them. They will need good halfbacks and I am not sure they have them but as I said Farrell will definitely improve them.

They are looking at giving the whole club a bit of a face lift
    How many schoolboys of last few years have they playing for them and who'll be close to senior team?
    They should be looking to give whole club a facelift as for their links to the school and their strength in the past they've been poor over the last while.

Wont be too far but wont be in promotion places. Who do you know in division? Do you have a dark horse to do well?
    How many schoolboys of last few years have they playing for them and who'll be close to senior team?
    They should be looking to give whole club a facelift as for their links to the school and their strength in the past they've been poor over the last while.

Not sure there are too many on board as yet from season just gone schools team - more like previous year

Sean Coughlan is one to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Leinster5

Terenure
    - John Cooney
    - James Thornton
    - Fergal Walshe

Old Belvedere
    - James Rael
    - Rory Kavanagh
    - Rory O'Loughlin
    - Jack Kelly
    *Leo Auva'a, Shaune Berne and Peter Robb have either joined different clubs or retired.

St. Mary's
    - Jerry Sexton
    - Keelan McKenna
    - Conor Toolan
    - Richie Allen
    - Michael McLaughlin

Lansdowne
    - Adam Griggs
    - Jack Dilger

Clontarf
    - Mike Brown
    *Should be noted that Max McFarland and Michael McGrath have both been offered pro contracts at Edinburgh and Leinster respectively.

Only mentioned players who have been brought in for the senior side, didn't mentioned any big u20 signings.

My opinion on 2B vs 20's side. If you had a full strength Lansdowne or UCD side from last year, they'd turn over a fair few teams in 2A and 2B. Amount of Academy players on those sides seems to be forgotten about. As UCD proved, youth and speed can win you big matches in 1A.

Would be interesting to see how Keelan McKenna goes. Former team-mate of mine... He was very good in backrow with Michaels in school and did well in UCD etc
    A top under 20s side might beat some AIL Division 2 sides but this all came about from a comment which was
    I'd hazard a guess that UCD/Lansdowne 20's would beat nearly all of the 2A teams and certainly all of 2B.
    and that is simply not true one bit

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Nba man

In 2A I think Thomond will get promotion, they have signed up to 8 players majority of them for 1A/1B clubs, armagh have made strong signings in 2B and should be at the top of the pile at the end of the year,

• Advertisement

Nba man wrote: »
    In 2A I think Thomond will get promotion, they have signed up to 8 players majority of them for 1A/1B clubs, armagh have made strong signings in 2B and should be at the top of the pile at the end of the year,
    I completely disagree. Yes they've made a few good signings but Nenagh are a much better side who went up with them and player wise are as strong/stronger than they were last season and Thomond will not win at least 10 of their league games this season which is minimum required to get promotion on basis of the last 6 seasons.

I completely disagree. Yes they've made a few good signings but Nenagh are a much better side who went up with them and player wise are as strong/stronger than they were last season and Thomond will not win at least 10 of their league games this season which is minimum required to get promotion on basis of the last 6 seasons.

The calibre of players thomond have brought in are top notch, on top of a team that got promotion last year,they will be one of the favs for league next year no doubt. There squad in now as strong as any of the 1a/1b senior clubs, I also expect UCC to go up, another quality side who were unlucky not to go up last year.

The calibre of players thomond have brought in are top notch, on top of a team that got promotion last year,they will be one of the favs for league next year no doubt. There squad in now as strong as any of the 1a/1b senior clubs, I also expect UCC to go up, another quality side who were unlucky not to go up last year.
    I like Thomond and as a former player of theirs will nearly always have a slightly unfair biased viewpoint on them but they will not be one of the top teams in 2A next year and are certainly not as strong as any of the division 1 clubs. Which exactly?
    They'll do ok in 2A but they are not that strong to do as well as you're suggesting
    Thomond had some seriously talented players last year like Leonard Slattery plus some young players coming through like Dermot Fitzgerald, Dean O Brien and will do well but to try say they are as strong as any 1A/B side is ridiculous.
    Thomond are a weaker side than Nenagh and Cashel, Seapoint when they went up and while yes have signed some decent players they will not win 12/13 of their 15 games in the league.

I like Thomond and as a former player of theirs will nearly always have a slightly unfair biased viewpoint on them but they will not be one of the top teams in 2A next year and are certainly not as strong as any of the division 1 clubs. Which exactly?
    They'll do ok in 2A but they are not that strong to do as well as you're suggesting
    Thomond had some seriously talented players last year like Leonard Slattery plus some young players coming through like Dermot Fitzgerald, Dean O Brien and will do well but to try say they are as strong as any 1A/B side is ridiculous.
    Thomond are a weaker side than Nenagh and Cashel, Seapoint when they went up and while yes have signed some decent players they will not win 12/13 of their 15 games in the league.

They have signed ger bourke (1a hooker), Donal murphy (1a prop), Colin Liston (1a backrow), jonny moroney (1a backrow), ul bohs centre don't know name, Ben Sargent (former shannon and ym 10), on top of that Brendan guilfoyle, darragh payne, Leonard slattery, fiach O loughin and dara o neill they have a serious outfit, definitely 1a/1b standard, who knows how they will end up but if them players gel they will be very hard to beat,

They have signed ger bourke (1a hooker), Donal murphy (1a prop), Colin Liston (1a backrow), jonny moroney (1a backrow), ul bohs centre don't know name, Ben Sargent (former shannon and ym 10), on top of that Brendan guilfoyle, darragh payne, Leonard slattery, fiach O loughin and dara o neill they have a serious outfit, definitely 1a/1b standard, who knows how they will end up but if them players gel they will be very hard to beat,

Probably a stupid question but why are all these 1A players opting to play with a 2A team?

Probably a stupid question but why are all these 1A players opting to play with a 2A team?

£$¥€

£$¥€

Ah well so much for new regulations. Suppose IRFU won't do anything about it unless another club stumps up €500 and provides all the evidence - Great system!!!!

They've signed a good few players but as a team they are not 1A standard. They'll have a good side this year but you are totally overestimating them. You mention a big issue for them - gelling. There's that and they're all in a new team that is just promoted to 2A. If they had all came in last season when Thomond were in 2B and they helped Thomond to promotion yes they could but Thomond have only 1/2 competitive games before AIL starts and another 2-4 friendlies. Little time to gel.
    Surprised they haven't signed any finishers out wide. They had Dean O Brien who was going well on wing. He's 21 now and is completely finished with 20s etc so will be in with firsts week In week out now
    Mix of reasons. €€€, some like fiach are coaching there. Others moving back to Thomond after being there in past etc

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

Leonard Slattery gone to Shannon? Rumoured earlier in the Summer. Moroney staying with YM AFAIK, was rumoured to have joined but believe he's stayed. Donal Murphy may have played 1A but was only when the 1st & 2nd choice props were down, predominantly a 2nds player. OC last year. Liston was a regular squad player with YM but again predominantly 2nds. Sargent playing Junior, played little or no senior last year, but a good player at 2A no doubt. Ger Burke's challenge is getting fit. All in all they've signed a lot of lads that are probably playing in and around the level they'd consistently play at rather than be squad players/2nds players........

Leonard Slattery gone to Shannon? Rumoured earlier in the Summer. Moroney staying with YM AFAIK, was rumoured to have joined but believe he's stayed. Donal Murphy may have played 1A but was only when the 1st & 2nd choice props were down, predominantly a 2nds player. OC last year. Liston was a regular squad player with YM but again predominantly 2nds. Sargent playing Junior, played little or no senior last year, but a good player at 2A no doubt. Ger Burke's challenge is getting fit. All in all they've signed a lot of lads that are probably playing in and around the level they'd consistently play at rather than be squad players/2nds players........
    Think that Sla has moved on. Is a division 1 class player IMO so good see him play there.
    Good signings but not enough for me to say they'll go up a division.

Would anyone seeing Bective/Wesley getting near promotion in 2A? Hearing talks of both being very strong this year

• Advertisement

Think that Sla has moved on. Is a division 1 class player IMO so good see him play there.
    Good signings but not enough for me to say they'll go up a division.

Would anyone seeing Bective/Wesley getting near promotion in 2A? Hearing talks of both being very strong this year

Didnt hear much on Bective but Heard Wesley have recruited a few and they were strong last year, they put some huge scores up on teams in the dry weather, it will be a very competitive league as we are forgetting the northern teams who are probably recruiting strongly aswell, I heard the Banbridge pack was montrous last year and City of Derry are another very good team. For my money anyway I think UCC, Wesley, Thomond and the two northenr teams mentioned above will be in the mix, add Barnhall to that too who were close last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭GavMan

Leinster5 wrote: »
    Old Belvedere
    - James Rael
    - Rory Kavanagh
    - Rory O'Loughlin
    - Jack Kelly
    *Leo Auva'a, Shaune Berne and Peter Robb have either joined different clubs or retired.

Where's Peter Robb off to?

Didnt hear much on Bective but Heard Wesley have recruited a few and they were strong last year, they put some huge scores up on teams in the dry weather, it will be a very competitive league as we are forgetting the northern teams who are probably recruiting strongly aswell, I heard the Banbridge pack was montrous last year and City of Derry are another very good team. For my money anyway I think UCC, Wesley, Thomond and the two northenr teams mentioned above will be in the mix, add Barnhall to that too who were close last year!
    Heard Bective have signed a few. Wesley are going to be even stronger this season and both will be tricky to play on the Donnybrook all weather pitch.
    Banbridge pack has been monstrous for years. I would have Thomond behind Nenagh on basis of last year and Nenagh having made a few signings that will strengthen them considerably and while Thomond have made loads of signings they will take time to gel.
    Fixtures out tomorrow.
    GavMan wrote: »
    Where's Peter Robb off to?
    Robb was added to Connacht Academy so will be with one of Wegians, Buccs, Corinthians.

Heard Bective have signed a few. Wesley are going to be even stronger this season and both will be tricky to play on the Donnybrook all weather pitch.
    Banbridge pack has been monstrous for years. I would have Thomond behind Nenagh on basis of last year and Nenagh having made a few signings that will strengthen them considerably and while Thomond have made loads of signings they will take time to gel.
    Fixtures out tomorrow.

Robb was added to Connacht Academy so will be with one of Wegians, Buccs, Corinthians.

Don't think Robb is changing club from what I've heard

Don't think Robb is changing club from what I've heard
    That's understandable but thought with Connacht having 3 division 1 clubs he may move

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Robb staying at Belvo by all accounts. Not ideal for me if he is in Connacht, no mid week training with Club and home at weekends. He may miss some AIL games for Eagles matches.

McKeon is joining Corinthians. Looking forward to seeing him play.

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Robb staying at Belvo by all accounts. Not ideal for me if he is in Connacht, no mid week training with Club and home at weekends. He may miss some AIL games for Eagles matches.

McKeon is joining Corinthians. Looking forward to seeing him play.
    I know its different with senior contracted players who are out of college etc but it has been done by a considerable few players before who played club rugby in one province and provincial with another and he could still train mid week with club within reason

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

bamboozle wrote: »
    TH is going to be coaching at U20 level this season up in Dublin I believe.

On the whole U20's v's AIL 2A team argument, I think UCD's performance last season is a pretty good way to gauge. They started off the season well, then 2 things happened, the pitches got softer and teams realised the way to beat the lighter faster college teams is to strangle them up front, once the pitches hardened towards the end of the season UCD's form picked up.

Not much news from Castle Avenue on new signings, 3 of the UBL winning team are emigrating, another couple retiring. Some signings from Trinity and UCD.
    Actually what happened UCD was that they lost 5 of their back row to injury, they actually won every game with Leavy and Gilsensan, both who were either U20 or just slightly overage.
    Would be interesting to see how Keelan McKenna goes. Former team-mate of mine... He was very good in backrow with Michaels in school and did well in UCD etc
    A top under 20s side might beat some AIL Division 2 sides but this all came about from a comment which was and that is simply not true one bit
    He has bulked up a fair bit over in Toulouse, I'd say he'll do well. Good move.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

A top under 20s side might beat some AIL Division 2 sides but this all came about from a comment which was and that is simply not true one bit

agree to disagree so, I think that the UCD team that won the McClean sweep would absolutely have competed in 2A and beat 2B teams

• Advertisement

agree to disagree so, I think that the UCD team that won the McClean sweep would absolutely have competed in 2A and beat 2B teams
    We'll agree to disagree but they wouldn't have been able. A team of 18/19 year olds over the course of 15 games wouldn't compete in 2A or 2B and a clean sweep of age grade titles means nothing when trying to use it to back up going into the full adult game against men every week. They would win some games no doubt but if UCD 20s are so strong their senior AIL side would be even stronger and the UCD club has never really been near winning an AIL title over the years.
    The 20s would win games against 2A and 2B sides no doubt but when winter sets in and the pitches slow and you have games where every one of the opposition is older, more than used to playing against sides where there isn't a dozen plus 18/19 year olds fresh out of school they wouldn't win and do that well. They wouldn't compete in 2A.
    Look at UCC. Their under 20s have regularly competed and won the Fraser McMullan(way more than UCD or other Leinster sides have done) and few made their AIL side last year that were at the top end of 2A. Last year UCD only beat UCCs under 20s 20-13 in Fraser McMullan All Ireland 1/4 what do you think UCCs seniors would have done if UCD can only beat the Cork Universities 20s by 7 points
    No AIL teams are made up of loads of under 20 eligible players as the physicality is a step up and too much at that time for many under 20 players

Advertisement