Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Bank League 2014-2015 talk/gossip/rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

phog wrote: »
    Certainly looks that way to me.
    How am I making excuses?
    So clubs are happy with their lot with regards to attendances?
    They are in the main.
    The IRFU asked clubs last season for their views on the league and majority are happy enough with current system. Check out knockon.ie if you want to see the full report which came out back in February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

How am I making excuses?They are in the main.
    The IRFU asked clubs last season for their views on the league and majority are happy enough with current system. Check out knockon.ie if you want to see the full report which came out back in February.

For my own sanity and the sanity of others I'm done with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭SA09

Any further transfer updates for div 1 clubs? I've heard that belvo, Nure and Mary's have recruited well. Ucd seem to have lost a lot of players.. Might make them favourites for relegation

phog wrote: »
    For my own sanity and the sanity of others I'm done with this.
    Come up with something you think is better than the current situation rather than just having a whinge then.
    You made a point about 3 Limerick clubs, who are division 1 clubs, home fixtures clashing. What about the numerous division 2 clubs in Limerick and their fixtures clashing?
    What can you do to stop fixtures clashing?
    The clubs have an input into the organisation of fixtures, the IRFU asked the clubs their opinions on the league with the surveys and meetings last season so clearly the clubs don't see much wrong with what currently goes on. What then do you want done?
    And again how am I making excuses?

SA09 wrote: »
    Any further transfer updates for div 1 clubs? I've heard that belvo, Nure and Mary's have recruited well. Ucd seem to have lost a lot of players.. Might make them favourites for relegation
    Hard to say about UCD. If they lose a good number of players its harder to get more in around the same standard due to being a closed club. Wouldn't be so sure on making them favourites for relegation. They play the teams that finished 6th, 7th and 8th(St Marys, Young Munster and Dolphin) in 1A last season in their first 3 games and have Seapoint, Terenure and Barnhall in Leinster League Cup and a good start in those 3 AIL games will boost them considerably. Their game against Terenure 2 weeks prior to start of AIL will be good for seeing how they're prepped for the season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

Hard to say about UCD. If they lose a good number of players its harder to get more in around the same standard due to being a closed club. Wouldn't be so sure on making them favourites for relegation. They play the teams that finished 6th, 7th and 8th(St Marys, Young Munster and Dolphin) in 1A last season in their first 3 games and have Seapoint, Terenure and Barnhall in Leinster League Cup and a good start in those 3 AIL games will boost them considerably. Their game against Terenure 2 weeks prior to start of AIL will be good for seeing how they're prepped for the season

Having won the Leinster League last year and beating a tough Lansdowne team away first up, made a huge difference to that side last year. If it was all summer rugby they'd be hard to write off but the changes will hurt them for sure.

Wouldn't be so sure on making them favourites for relegation

Who would be your contenders for relegation and who are likely to be the top 4 for playoff?

Having won the Leinster League last year and beating a tough Lansdowne team away first up, made a huge difference to that side last year. If it was all summer rugby they'd be hard to write off but the changes will hurt them for sure.
    Even if it was all summer rugby I wouldn't think theyd win out the league.
    Who would be your contenders for relegation and who are likely to be the top 4 for playoff?
    Wont make any predictions until at least some of the league cup games, charity cup games and news on some of the confirmed transfers is released. Hard to say when you don't know for sure who is moving club etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

From signings so far I think lansdowne, Mary's and maybe old belvedere will be up there, young minsters should be targeting top 4, as the only limerick team they should have attracted some good players and have got Martin Kelly the new Munster development prop. Belvo will be looking to kick on from last season, but will do so without Leo and Shaun Berne and who knows how much access to robb and Conan they will have, they should though have crosbie for most games and possibly even Ben Marshall who has fallen down the pecking order at Leinster.

Cork con will be pushing for top 4 also, think I heard they've picked up some dolphin players.

Clontarf I think will need the season to regroup, they've lost players to travel, retirement, emigration, but still have a decent core of players and with some decent signings can hope for top 4.

Ballynahinch will be better this season having learned what's required last season, once again as ulsters sole representative they should see some of the academy and development players being allocated to them to gain 1a experience.

Not sure about ucd, they've lost Thornton, gilsenan and a couple to Clontarf, Ucd and dolphin I think will be fighting at the wrong half of the table, terenure, Clontarf and ballynahinch I think will be hovering mid-table with cork con and ym fighting out for a top 4 spot.

Should be. Good season, looking forward to it and it's great the top 4 play offs are back.

bamboozle wrote: »
    From signings so far I think lansdowne, Mary's and maybe old belvedere will be up there, young minsters should be targeting top 4, as the only limerick team they should have attracted some good players and have got Martin Kelly the new Munster development prop. Belvo will be looking to kick on from last season, but will do so without Leo and Shaun Berne and who knows how much access to robb and Conan they will have, they should though have crosbie for most games and possibly even Ben Marshall who has fallen down the pecking order at Leinster.

Cork con will be pushing for top 4 also, think I heard they've picked up some dolphin players.

Clontarf I think will need the season to regroup, they've lost players to travel, retirement, emigration, but still have a decent core of players and with some decent signings can hope for top 4.

Ballynahinch will be better this season having learned what's required last season, once again as ulsters sole representative they should see some of the academy and development players being allocated to them to gain 1a experience.

Not sure about ucd, they've lost Thornton, gilsenan and a couple to Clontarf, Ucd and dolphin I think will be fighting at the wrong half of the table, terenure, Clontarf and ballynahinch I think will be hovering mid-table with cork con and ym fighting out for a top 4 spot.

Should be. Good season, looking forward to it and it's great the top 4 play offs are back.
    You would hope for the league's sake that Young Munster and the other non Dublin sides can put up a decent challenge as its been a while since a non Dublin side has won the league and there been several really competing for the title.

While the league cups/charity cups etc are a few weeks away the pre season friendlies will really kick into gear in the next week or so. Any good games people know of?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Spectator1950

really think the challenge in 1A is going to come from the Munster teams, Cork Con for me to lead the way closely followed by Terenure (the most dangerous club at present).

Leinster teams outside of Terenure, Lansdowne & Old Belvo will struggle to keep any consistency.

I believe St Marys have gone down the youth policy route in recruiting. Peter Smyth is believed to have signed on a chunk of his winning SCT panel from last year with the promise of AIL rugby. Looks like they are relying on youth to challenge dangerous move I would feel.

I wonder how many players have moved to clubs with the new points system coming into play next season. Looks like only the munster teams have recruited with this policy.

really think the challenge in 1A is going to come from the Munster teams, Cork Con for me to lead the way closely followed by Terenure (the most dangerous club at present).

Leinster teams outside of Terenure, Lansdowne & Old Belvo will struggle to keep any consistency.

I believe St Marys have gone down the youth policy route in recruiting. Peter Smyth is believed to have signed on a chunk of his winning SCT panel from last year with the promise of AIL rugby. Looks like they are relying on youth to challenge dangerous move I would feel.

I wonder how many players have moved to clubs with the new points system coming into play next season. Looks like only the munster teams have recruited with this policy.
    I disagree the real challenge will come from the two Munster teams and followed by Terenure. The title will go to a Dublin side.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Nba man

How have young munster recruited? Will they challenge for title?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DaveHln09

Nba man wrote: »

No.

How many have young munster recruited? Will they challenge for title?
    Havent heard much so far on signings but there'll be pre season games on in next week or so so should hear of any made around then. Not sure if they will challenge for title but who knows...
    DaveHln09 wrote: »
    No.
    No what? No they haven't recruited or no they wont challenge? And if you think they wont challenge why?

They have got Shane o'leary back who has signed for connacht from Grenoble

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

YM have brought in the prop from Trinity that Munster signed, Gearoid Lyons, Rob Guerin, I think the winger from Trinity is going there (Lad who joined Connacht), another scrum half from Bruff, Shane O Leary back is huge, signed young Fitzgerald from Ard Scoil and few others. They should be competitive!! Would think top 4 would be the minimal goal set by the squad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭turtleshead

YM have brought in the prop from Trinity that Munster signed, Gearoid Lyons, Rob Guerin, I think the winger from Trinity is going there (Lad who joined Connacht), another scrum half from Bruff, Shane O Leary back is huge, signed young Fitzgerald from Ard Scoil and few others. They should be competitive!! Would think top 4 would be the minimal goal set by the squad

You would have to think being the only Limerick club in Div 1A would help them in their recruitment, they will have Diarmuid Dee as well from the start of the season so he will almost be like a new signing given he missed most of last year. Heard of a good few players coming out of school signing for them as well so they should be competitive at 20's level also.

Anyone know of any friendlies coming up in Limerick? Charity cup is only 3 weeks away

You would have to think being the only Limerick club in Div 1A would help them in their recruitment, they will have Diarmuid Dee as well from the start of the season so he will almost be like a new signing given he missed most of last year. Heard of a good few players coming out of school signing for them as well so they should be competitive at 20's level also.

Anyone know of any friendlies coming up in Limerick? Charity cup is only 3 weeks away
    Not Limerick but Nenagh play Tullamore next Friday according to their website. Havent seen any other fixtures yet

Hard to say it would help with recruitment. The 1B sides like Shannon will be getting in a lot to go back up to 1A and a considerable number of school leavers have been Shannon through underage and after their year/two playing Schools Cup have stayed with Shannon.
    Will Dee play regular AIL with Munsters? YM may have got a few from school to continue play with them or to move to them they would have been strong at 20s anyway as they had a v strong under 18s team last season that got to a Munster final

Not Limerick but Nenagh play Tullamore next Friday according to their website. Havent seen any other fixtures yet

Hard to say it would help with recruitment. The 1B sides like Shannon will be getting in a lot to go back up to 1A and a considerable number of school leavers have been Shannon through underage and after their year/two playing Schools Cup have stayed with Shannon.
    Will Dee play regular AIL with Munsters? YM may have got a few from school to continue play with them or to move to them they would have been strong at 20s anyway as they had a v strong under 18s team last season that got to a Munster final

Their backrow options are very strong this year I think. Dee, Neville Mebourne, Johnny Moroney (stayed from what i've heard), Sean Rennison, Alan Kennedy (who was YMs outstanding forward last season after joining from G'owen) so its very competitive. Hard to say who'll start, no real out and out 7 either so could have 3 big hitting ball carriers in the BR

• Advertisement

Did the older Goggin stay as well? Think Ben Kilkenny signed for them too, he may play 7 for them. Thinking about it, i would there is a lack of out and out 7's in Limerick at the moment, can't think of any that would compare to the likes of Anthony Kavanagh, James o'Neill formaly of YM now with terenure...

Did the older Goggin stay as well? Think Ben Kilkenny signed for them too, he may play 7 for them. Thinking about it, i would there is a lack of out and out 7's in Limerick at the moment, can't think of any that would compare to the likes of Anthony Kavanagh, James o'Neill formaly of YM now with terenure...
    Tom? Havent seen anything to say he's moved.
    Kilkenny wont play a lot of AIL IMO. He's still under 20. He'll play some senior rugby but not large amount.

James Murphy at Shannon would be another, after that there really is a lack!
    Tom? Havent seen anything to say he's moved.
    Kilkenny wont play a lot of AIL IMO. He's still under 20. He'll play some senior rugby but not large amount.

Tom has stayed on with YM. After Melbourne returning I'd be skeptical about the amount of Gametime he'll see. Don't think Ben Kilkenny will be too involved. Has to surpass all the aforementioned players. Is a good but back. Should play some cup games should it not class with provincial commitments (If still underage)

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Leinster5

A team rarely gets promoted from 1B and challenges for the title the next year. While Terenure have a solid side and plenty of € to spend according to a few of my mates, think they'd struggle against the likes of Old Belvedere, St. Mary's and Lansdowne in the long run. As UCD proved last year. Lansdowne have a lot of quality youth players coming through along with a fair few hardened AIL players. Old Belvedere have brought in some quality youth players(Kavanagh and O'Loughlin) and experience(Rael and Kelly) while Mary's have many experienced players like the Sweeney brothers and Jerry Sexton returning while they've recruited the best talent out of school along with a few other good signings like McKenna, McLaughlin and Allen. Although there are plenty of quality players coming out of school, only 2 or 3 will feature for the Seniors. Same at every club.

Having said that, with the Top 4 play-offs back, you could see a team come from nowhere to reach the play-offs. Still expect Cork Con, Old Belvedere, St. Mary's and Lansdowne to finish in the Top 4.

They have got Shane o'leary back who has signed for connacht from Grenoble

Have they still got the tonga guy in the centre hifo? Sounds like they will have a very strong squad,

James Murphy at Shannon would be another, after that there really is a lack!

Tom has stayed on with YM. After Melbourne returning I'd be skeptical about the amount of Gametime he'll see. Don't think Ben Kilkenny will be too involved. Has to surpass all the aforementioned players. Is a good but back. Should play some cup games should it not class with provincial commitments (If still underage)
    Sla, Thomonds open-side, is a v good player..
    Kilkenny is underage for 20s but while he wasn't involved against Italy last night he could still be in squad
    Leinster5 wrote: »
    A team rarely gets promoted from 1B and challenges for the title the next year. While Terenure have a solid side and plenty of € to spend according to a few of my mates, think they'd struggle against the likes of Old Belvedere, St. Mary's and Lansdowne in the long run. As UCD proved last year. Lansdowne have a lot of quality youth players coming through along with a fair few hardened AIL players. Old Belvedere have brought in some quality youth players(Kavanagh and O'Loughlin) and experience(Rael and Kelly) while Mary's have many experienced players like the Sweeney brothers and Jerry Sexton returning while they've recruited the best talent out of school along with a few other good signings like McKenna, McLaughlin and Allen. Although there are plenty of quality players coming out of school, only 2 or 3 will feature for the Seniors. Same at every club.

Having said that, with the Top 4 play-offs back, you could see a team come from nowhere to reach the play-offs. Still expect Cork Con, Old Belvedere, St. Mary's and Lansdowne to finish in the Top 4.
    Terenure have more than a solid side and hard to say they'll struggle in long run.
    Agree playoffs back in should see more excitement as there'll ideally be 5/6 sides in contention for playoffs spots all through the league
    Have they still got the tonga guy in the centre hifo? Sounds like they will have a very strong squad,
    Hifo has left. Gone home

In previous season the team that won promotion to 1A seriously challeneged, in fact Belvo won the league on the back of promotion against Con and YM were beaten in the semis (were promoted along with Belvo), and Tarf when they got promoted finished 2nd so there is stock to say the promoted sides will challenege

Kilkenny is underage for 20s but while he wasn't involved against Italy last night he could still be in squad
    Terenure have more than a solid side and hard to say they'll struggle in long run.
    Agree playoffs back in should see more excitement as there'll ideally be 5/6 sides in contention for playoffs spots all through the league
    Hifo has left. Gone home

I'll be interested to see how he goes for Shannon. Has to get ahead of James Murphy to start and at a much higher standard and pace

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DaveHln09

Kilkenny is recovering from a wrist injury

• Advertisement

Terenure spending plenty of €€? How reliable is that info? Surely they would be discreet with the new measures brought in by irfu?

Many other clubs still splashing cash along with other benefits?

Terenure spending plenty of €€? How reliable is that info? Surely they would be discreet with the new measures brought in by irfu?

Many other clubs still splashing cash along with other benefits?
    Not reliable. Leinster5 has said they have plenty to spend not that theyre spending it;)
    Hard to say about the new measures and how serious theyre implemented..
    There is still plenty of clubs splashing the cash. could name names but there's no point and anyway its the same clubs that always have.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Wouldn't say the same old clubs I know that some of the big boys in 1a have stopped payments altogether have two mates in a club beside a big stadium who have been told that in no certain terms that money is no longer being paid to anyone but also have a mate on the north side who said some of the new boys are getting free accomadation. Saw a website lately where a 1a northern club were advertising internationally for players and offered free flights and accomadation as well as an oppurtunity to get on the ulster fast track. Makes a mockery of the whole think. Very rampant in top Junior clubs and lower end of UBL. A retired mate of mind was offered big money to play in 2 nd tier of junior rugby fairly shocked to hear the figure but he is broken so didn't avail of it but in saying that this particular club can afford it unlike quiet a few others who are or nearly bankrupt

Hifo has left. Gone home

Spoke to ym guy today hifo they are flying hifo back over end of this month, he must of being good.

Spoke to ym guy today hifo they are flying hifo back over end of this month, he must of being good.

Saw him in a couple of games and he was excellent, was a part of the Canterbury squad that won the ITM, thought he might have getting picked up by Munster on some sort of contract.

He ya was exceptional last year. Badly missed in 3/4 games when injured. I heard he was being closely looked at by Pat Lam and was living in Galway for a while after the season.

Payments ain't stopping anytime soon for clubs. A lot of clubs are and will remain to offer incentives, accommodation, match fees etc. regardless of new laws because its going to be almost impossible to monitor.

Its pretty much there so the IRFU can be seen to be doing something when in fact they can generally do feck all

• Advertisement

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Wouldn't say the same old clubs I know that some of the big boys in 1a have stopped payments altogether have two mates in a club beside a big stadium who have been told that in no certain terms that money is no longer being paid to anyone but also have a mate on the north side who said some of the new boys are getting free accomadation. Saw a website lately where a 1a northern club were advertising internationally for players and offered free flights and accomadation as well as an oppurtunity to get on the ulster fast track. Makes a mockery of the whole think. Very rampant in top Junior clubs and lower end of UBL. A retired mate of mind was offered big money to play in 2 nd tier of junior rugby fairly shocked to hear the figure but he is broken so didn't avail of it but in saying that this particular club can afford it unlike quiet a few others who are or nearly bankrupt
    It is the same who're at it down the ranks. I saw the same advert and accommodation etc can be covered within reason and fast track opportunity to get involved with Ulster isn't exactly breaking any regulation.
    There will always be clubs down the grades who'll be able to sign players on a big wedge...
    Saw him in a couple of games and he was excellent, was a part of the Canterbury squad that won the ITM, thought he might have getting picked up by Munster on some sort of contract.
    Don't see Munster having a need for him. Where and in what would you use him?
    He ya was exceptional last year. Badly missed in 3/4 games when injured. I heard he was being closely looked at by Pat Lam and was living in Galway for a while after the season.

Payments ain't stopping anytime soon for clubs. A lot of clubs are and will remain to offer incentives, accommodation, match fees etc. regardless of new laws because its going to be almost impossible to monitor.

Its pretty much there so the IRFU can be seen to be doing something when in fact they can generally do feck all
    IRFU can do quite a bit. It can be clear and obvious which clubs are breaking the regulations with incentives and IRFU with-holding international tickets etc from clubs would stop clubs fairly quickly. Payments will not stop but the level they are paid out can be decreased and culture around it changed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Stainalert

It is the same who're at it down the ranks. I saw the same advert and accommodation etc can be covered within reason and fast track opportunity to get involved with Ulster isn't exactly breaking any regulation.
    There will always be clubs down the grades who'll be able to sign players on a big wedge...
    IRFU can do quite a bit. It can be clear and obvious clubs are breaking the regulations with incentives and IRFU with-holding international tickets etc from clubs would stop clubs fairly quickly. Payments will not stop but the level they are paid out can be decreased and culture around it changed

Accomodation can't be covered within reason - Providing accommodation for a player (even if the club own the house) is a violation of the new regulations. Scandalous that the IRFU are letting this happen. What more proof do they need?

Payments are not stopping - It is all going under the table

IRFU can do quite a bit. It can be clear and obvious which clubs are breaking the regulations with incentives and IRFU with-holding international tickets etc from clubs would stop clubs fairly quickly. Payments will not stop but the level they are paid out can be decreased and culture around it changed

http://www.rahrahrugby.com/vacancies/irish-top-club-seeks-10-491

Stainalert wrote: »
    Accomodation can't be covered within reason - Providing accommodation for a player (even if the club own the house) is a violation of the new regulations. Scandalous that the IRFU are letting this happen. What more proof do they need?

Payments are not stopping - It is all going under the table

Yeah exactly, suprised at Lost Sheep his IRFU Colleagues won't be to happy with that response shows what confusion is out there. No material benefit what so ever is allowed this season to include, player payments, match fees, accomadation, vehicle etc. IRFU need to step up and back up their new laws they have implemented or else scrap the whole thing! Absolute and utter joke but not surprising!

A huge thing I think is all the talk about guys getting this and that, can the IRFU move on a club without the request and payment from another club under this new guideline? If not its a waste of time!!!

Also I have been made aware that certain clubs "aren't" paying players/giving accommodation etc.... but their sponsors/backers are............this in itself makes a mockery of the whole thing.

The irfu introduced this to appear to be doing something when in fact they are and will (I stand to be corrected and look forward to being) do nothing!

• Advertisement

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Yeah exactly, suprised at Lost Sheep his IRFU Colleagues won't be to happy with that response shows what confusion is out there. No material benefit what so ever is allowed this season to include, player payments, match fees, accomadation, vehicle etc. IRFU need to step up and back up their new laws they have implemented or else scrap the whole thing! Absolute and utter joke but not surprising!
    What are you surprised about? What Colleagues?
    IRFU had to put something in place. The rules are there and while they may not be implemented if enough work is done the culture can be changed over time
    A huge thing I think is all the talk about guys getting this and that, can the IRFU move on a club without the request and payment from another club under this new guideline? If not its a waste of time!!!

Also I have been made aware that certain clubs "aren't" paying players/giving accommodation etc.... but their sponsors/backers are............this in itself makes a mockery of the whole thing.

The irfu introduced this to appear to be doing something when in fact they are and will (I stand to be corrected and look forward to being) do nothing!
    Of course the IRFU can query a clubs actions without another club requesting it. They are guardians and governor's of the game...
    Its always the sponsors who give the money anyway....
    IRFU had to do something re payments and no matter what they do payments wont stop

Can we get back to discussing rugby? Any good games coming up in the next week or two ahead of charity cups/league cups etc?

The culture will NEVER change if the IRFU don't enforce their own law. They need to shoot one side to warn many! Does anyone know what the sanctions can be and how far they go?

The culture will NEVER change if the IRFU don't enforce their own law. They need to shoot one side to warn many! Does anyone know what the sanctions can be and how far they go?
    Cant remember many of the sanctions but decrease in international tickets for clubs is part of the sanctions and as international tickets are such big earners for clubs that would hit some clubs hard.

From a players point of view, why would they change clubs without having some form of incentive?

The incentive may not be money eg - motivated by wanting to play at higher level, etc. but for players moving within 1a and 1b clubs, they will expect some sort of benefit for switching allegiance and bringing their talents to the new club. They don't switch for the good of their health.

This is usually done by way of payments/accommodation, etc.

I can't see how this can ever be stamped out completely. There are always ways around the rules. And we live in a country where no one has ever had much regard for rules anyway.

The irfu need to make the transfer system transparent and perhaps put guidelines in place whereby the amount of benefits a player receives in a season is capped at certain amount per month for example. There's no guarantee that the club will adhere to this but at least this way the player is benefitting, the irfu know what's going on, and there's none of this behind the back stuff between clubs telling tales on each other.

I just think that the player who has worked hard to get playing at this level, and is good enough to be approached by another club deserves to benefit. It would be in everyone's interest to have it all out on the table and that way any potential financial difficulties for clubs can be flagged early doors and irfu can step in to say - you have reached your quota for this season for payments or whatever.

Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 stars20

Not sure who your sources are that Nure have lots of money. They have money for floodlights and an Astro pitch.

From a players point of view, why would they change clubs without having some form of incentive?

The incentive may not be money eg - motivated by wanting to play at higher level, etc. but for players moving within 1a and 1b clubs, they will expect some sort of benefit for switching allegiance and bringing their talents to the new club. They don't switch for the good of their health.

This is usually done by way of payments/accommodation, etc.

I can't see how this can ever be stamped out completely. There are always ways around the rules. And we live in a country where no one has ever had much regard for rules anyway.

The irfu need to make the transfer system transparent and perhaps put guidelines in place whereby the amount of benefits a player receives in a season is capped at certain amount per month for example. There's no guarantee that the club will adhere to this but at least this way the player is benefitting, the irfu know what's going on, and there's none of this behind the back stuff between clubs telling tales on each other.

I just think that the player who has worked hard to get playing at this level, and is good enough to be approached by another club deserves to benefit. It would be in everyone's interest to have it all out on the table and that way any potential financial difficulties for clubs can be flagged early doors and irfu can step in to say - you have reached your quota for this season for payments or whatever.

Just my opinion.
    Yes most will not move without an incentive. Yes clear and transparent system is needed but who will look to put this in place...

Connacht Senior League scheduled to start on Saturday. Buccaneers play Corinthians and Galwegians host Sligo

Any further transfer news around the clubs?

1b looks set to be very competitive this year, looks like any team could win it except maybe Shannon, harlequins, Malone.. Buccs favourites?

Any further transfer news around the clubs?

1b looks set to be very competitive this year, looks like any team could win it except maybe Shannon, harlequins, Malone.. Buccs favourites?

Hearing McSwiney has signed for Lansdowne from Con - Moving to Dublin for job. Anyone know anything about him?

Stainalert wrote: »
    Hearing McSwiney has signed for Lansdowne from Con - Moving to Dublin for job. Anyone know anything about him?
    Decent operator. Originally from Waterford or at least has played for Waterpark at some stage in the junior leagues.

Decent operator. Originally from Waterford or at least has played for Waterpark at some stage in the junior leagues.

Yeah nearly sure he is Waterpark originally, good few lads playing top class senior rugby coming out of Waterpark the last few years and south east in general. Don't know much about McSwiney seen him play twice and was good big strong looking unit, if he was with Con and playing regularly he can't be to bad

• Advertisement
Advertisement