Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

josip wrote: »
    Inisbofin must have tax haven status like the Channel Islands to justify that sort of price?

It's dreamer money.. You often see it in those kinds of places. Stays on the market for years no one buys. There's a site a few miles north on Inishturk, 85k they're looking for it with no planning permission.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Sweet baby jesus, that is unreal.

I was thinking actor / musician but a bit of snooping suggests it's a former vice president of Broadcom Corporation who design computer parts (including the Raspberry Pi).

If you ever want to view the property you'll probably have to sign a NDA before you go in.

Edit:

This is my kinda place:
    https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-dromig-skibbereen-co-cork/2617383

I love it. Could do with a couple of old cars and machinery sitting in the yard, a big hape of logs and it'd be grand. I'd make very few changes to this place if I got it. Pity it's well over my budget

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

It's dreamer money.. You often see it in those kinds of places. Stays on the market for years no one buys. There's a site a few miles north on Inishturk, 85k they're looking for it with no planning permission.

You wouldn't get permission out there
    That's why buying an existing site with a house is so expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭josip

Thanks to your post, I now know what the GAA pitch on Inisturk looks like :)
    https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-inishturk-co-mayo/53574

• Registered Users Posts: 40,209 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

josip wrote: »
    Thanks to your post, I now know what the GAA pitch on Inisturk looks like :)
    https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-inishturk-co-mayo/53574

I've played on worse. It is almost level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭josip

I've played on worse. It is almost level.

Safe to say there's not much hurling played on Inisturk.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,298 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

Not sure if this have being posted but What a celling?

Hideous

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Nice house apart from the ceiling. Not mad about the red and black colours in the bathroom either but it's not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭KevRossi

That house needs to be preserved in a time warp as a memorial to the worst of the Celtic Tiger. It has some of the worst excesses and notions of that time; fountain, grand piano, 'butlers kitchen', double garage, no real theme to the decor throughout... and it comes with a C2 BER which is crazy considering the year it was built, the size of it and the money that went into it.

I wonder will any group ever step up like the Georgian Preservation Association and agitate for these to be kept as they are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Needs more cowbell ovens.

a14033f3be81b297e471ce8549182914.png

KevRossi wrote: »
    That house needs to be preserved in a time warp as a memorial to the worst of the Celtic Tiger. It has some of the worst excesses and notions of that time; fountain, grand piano, 'butlers kitchen', double garage, no real theme to the decor throughout... and it comes with a C2 BER which is crazy considering the year it was built, the size of it and the money that went into it.

I wonder will any group ever step up like the Georgian Preservation Association and agitate for these to be kept as they are.

That's quite a mish mash of themes alright - from traveller chic to Japanese.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Suckler

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Nice house apart from the ceiling. Not mad about the red and black colours in the bathroom either but it's not too bad.

I'd agree, there are some elements done well (dare I even say tasteful?) but the other bits, like the ceiling, garish colours etc. just completely drown out.

So many bit's just scream "w@nker". Bedroom 4 opening in to the reception room says....weird...Pampass grass weird.
    C2 is a joke.

I've seen this so many times though; The 'designer' has a folder of random pinterest clips/design mag clippings that they bring to life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Stranmillis is quite a studenty area in Belfast so when I clicked on this one I expected to see more of the same. But I audibly gasped out loud when I saw the state of the rooms. Some developer would need an awful lot of money to get that into a fit state for habitation.

https://www.propertypal.com/34-stranmillis-gardens-belfast/675964

• Registered Users Posts: 14,066 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

And its called Lothlorien FFS!!!
    Galadriel would have a fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Stranmillis is quite a studenty area in Belfast so when I clicked on this one I expected to see more of the same. But I audibly gasped out loud when I saw the state of the rooms. Some developer would need an awful lot of money to get that into a fit state for habitation.

Poor house :(

Looks like the last owner didn't bother and just rented it out anyway.

You wouldn't get permission out there
    That's why buying an existing site with a house is so expensive

No planning or existing house with it

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/bellavaum-inishturk-islands-mayo/3831767

85K for a field of rocks that they are not even sure the size of.
    Please note that the exact site boundaries of the lands for sale have not yet been fully identified and marked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

£100,000 would barely cover it? All education will be full online by 2025. Is 250,000 a suitable price for a house in that area? Everything from electrics, plumbing, roof and who knows what else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

though I suppose if you list a house for $19 you should put in a bit of effort with the listing. This is the listing for those who like a bit of house p0rn https://www.redfin.com/CA/Newport-Coast/6-Shoreview-Dr-92657/home/4748988
    And the agent stands to make up to half a million commission on the sale. I imagine it's getting all of their attention.
    85K for a field of rocks that they are not even sure the size of.
    They are also offering the sale on a subject to PP basis though, so you won't get stuck with a field of rocks.

That said, I understood for most of those islands you're not allowed build on them unless you plan on living there year-round.

seamus wrote: »
    And the agent stands to make up to half a million commission on the sale. I imagine it's getting all of their attention.

yeah the commissions get a bit silly at that level but it might take 2 or 3 years to sell it or they might not sell it at all. that house has been on the market for 14 months already.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,143 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

When I was looking through the photos I couldn't help but think of Nidge.

seamus wrote: »

They are also offering the sale on a subject to PP basis though, so you won't get stuck with a field of rocks.

That said, I understood for most of those islands you're not allowed build on them unless you plan on living there year-round.

"subject to PP" just means there is no planning permission for the land. it doesn't add any value to the land. it is still just a field of rocks. Given it is also in a national heritage area it will take a patient buyer with deep pockets to get a house built there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If they had put in more insulation to get the BER rating up they might not have been able to afford to put in a powder room or dedicate an entire wing of the house to wardrobes.

I sometimes think a house that big would be great but then I realise the sheer hassle of a huge house. Imagine being in the laundry room or kitchen and realising you left your phone up in the main bedroom. It would probably be quicker just to go out and buy a new phone than go upstairs and get it.

"Honey, have you seen my slippers?"
    "I think they're in the wardrobe"
    "Which one, there's about 600 sq feet of wardrobes in the main bedroom alone".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

"subject to PP" just means there is no planning permission for the land. it doesn't add any value to the land. it is still just a field of rocks. Given it is also in a national heritage area it will take a patient buyer with deep pockets to get a house built there.

I know my County Council have a major problem when it comes to allowing one-off houses. Their policy is to only give permission if the person has a link to the area. I think most Councils have this policy. It would be easier for someone from the island to get permission than someone from the mainland.

I think you'd be p1ssing into a gale force wind trying to get permission for a house on that site.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

NIMAN wrote: »
    When I was looking through the photos I couldn't help but think of Nidge.

I'd love to know the back story to the house - drug dealer or tech millionaire or what?

I'd love to know the back story to the house - drug dealer or tech millionaire or what?

Also appears to have dropped 200k in 3 years, when property prices have been rising across the board?

https://www.talkofthetown.ie/unique-haggardstown-home-jacuzzi-outdoor-water-pool-hits-market/

Smells of a CAB/Bank repossession...

retalivity wrote: »
    Also appears to have dropped 200k in 3 years, when property prices have been rising across the board?

https://www.talkofthetown.ie/unique-haggardstown-home-jacuzzi-outdoor-water-pool-hits-market/

Smells of a CAB/Bank repossession...

Love the video. You'd want some neck to call a jacks with a urinal in it a 'powder room'.

Remarkable that a house built around that time has that BER rating. Just goes to show the crap that was slapped up around then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

The ceiling suggests gambler - bookie or professional poker player were my thoughts.

Advertisement