Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid in Limerick - Mod Warning in Post #1

Options

Comments

Considering they put a gosafe van on that stretch, yes people do exceed the 100km/h limit there

It’s physically impossible to do 100 km/h at that point, in either direction. Either way - first world problems. If people can’t cross the road at that point on their own because they’re old and feeble, they should be in a home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

If you try to do anywhere near 100km/h coming into that roundabout you'll go straight though it, not around it. Simple physics, means that going around the roundabout at more than 100km/h is impossible.

not going round it you wouldn't be doing 100km but coming off the roundabout you can very easily be excelerating up to the 100km thinking you are in a 100km zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

It’s physically impossible to do 100 km/h at that point, in either direction. Either way - first world problems. If people can’t cross the road at that point on their own because they’re old and feeble, they should be in a home.

Point on a map where exactly it's impossible to be doing 100km/h there just for the sake of argument

• Registered Users Posts: 23,772 ✭✭✭✭phog

If people can’t cross the road at that point on their own because they’re old and feeble, they should be in a home.

Wtaf???????

I hope you're trying to generate a reaction rather than being serious.

:eek:

massive stretch of your imagination there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Considering they put a gosafe van on that stretch, yes people do exceed the 100km/h limit there
    They go above 100km/h while going around the roundabout do they? These lads should be driving F1, because even Lewis Hamilton wouldn't do that.
    Point on a map where exactly it's impossible to be doing 100km/h there just for the sake of argument
    At the roundabout. You have to slow down entering or you will crash. You can't possibility get up to 100km/h where the crossing is while exiting the roundabout either.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

17 post on a speed limit!! Lads come on really.

I know its "relevant" but Its a Covid thread! :D

sorry Yop. The conversation did start around the suitability of the covid centre but just evolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    I was in Lough Gur yesterday. It was a glorious day and about 20c.

Just on a follow up to this, as I live nearby, the hill walk is now closed as it's private property and because of the crowds there on that day, loads of rubbish (drink mainly, but food rubbish too) left thrown around by the hill and interfering with the land owners animals which are grazing there.

Might have been nice to see it, but yet again blow ins ruining it for everyone. My parents wanted to go down but couldn't because of the crowds. A Garda presence was needed, and people who deliberately block one side of the road to park should be towed on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,571 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Just on a follow up to this, as I live nearby, the hill walk is now closed as it's private property and because of the crowds there on that day, loads of rubbish (drink mainly, but food rubbish too) left thrown around by the hill and interfering with the land owners animals which are grazing there.

Might have been nice to see it, but yet again blow ins ruining it for everyone. My parents wanted to go down but couldn't because of the crowds. A Garda presence was needed, and people who deliberately block one side of the road to park should be towed on the spot.

People should pick up their rubbish it's a disgrace and so is the illegal parking but there is no such thing as blow ins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

breezy1985 wrote: »
    People should pick up their rubbish it's a disgrace and so is the illegal parking but there is no such thing as blow ins

I'm referring to the people that would never have gone there before lockdown, but now go there because its somewhere to go, and will probably never go there again once the country opens up again. Plenty of them about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Why cant they just extend the 302 to go out and back to the Radisson.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭The_Dave

ger664 wrote: »
    Why cant they just extend the 302 to go out and back to the Radisson.
    I'd imagine that would wreck the timetables they have in place. Also I'd imagine would involve bringing in the unions, then there's the fact that there would probably need to be a different fare charged beyond Coonagh Roundabout

Would be easier to put on a shuttle bus altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Lidl, who have a number of outlets in the city and county, are selling rapid lateral flow covid tests from tomorrow (Friday 7th May) in packs of 5 for €25. Limit of one pack per customer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭sioda

Just back from walking downtown ffs I know people want to get out but there was at least a 100 people in the lane next to Flannerys on Denamrk street, Mickey's looked like it was open with the amount drinking outside and there was live music probably opportunistic buskers on Catherine Street next to Ma Hogan's.

I mean come on this thing isn't over and it's ceap like this that will get us relocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

Precisely why I avoid the city centre & have done for more than a year. I have seen plenty of this on the odd occasions when I'm driving through town.

I went for a walk in Shannon earlier today. Outside the new Starbucks there were the odd few small groups, well spaced apart. I maybe passed 3 or 4 people while doing the airport/industrial estate loop.

As for going on a walking route through the city centre, I have zero intention of negotiating my way through crowds taking up entire footpaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Redjacketboy

Precisely why I avoid the city centre & have done for more than a year. I have seen plenty of this on the odd occasions when I'm driving through town.

I went for a walk in Shannon earlier today. Outside the new Starbucks there were the odd few small groups, well spaced apart. I maybe passed 3 or 4 people while doing the airport/industrial estate loop.

As for going on a walking route through the city centre, I have zero intention of negotiating my way through crowds taking up entire footpaths.

Is it for covid prevention you avoid crowds or is it not looking king having crowds impeding your walk?
    The city centre is lovely mid-week there's a lovely vibe and not overcrowded

Is it for covid prevention you avoid crowds or is it not looking king having crowds impeding your walk?
    The city centre is lovely mid-week there's a lovely vibe and not overcrowded

Part of it is covid prevention. Part of it too is the fact that I generally avoid crowds unless I have to. I don't mind crowds at say, a match or a gig, but other situations I prefer to avoid them. For example I would never set foot in a busy shopping centre during peak traffic hours.

That's always been the case with me, but I'm generally more crowd-averse since covid.

Was in city centre briefly yesterday around lunchtime. Thought the people gathering around Thomas St/Catherine St area were well behaved, all in small groups. The regular busker was playing music.
    All very friendly. Then a little bit down the street a crowd of approx 15 standing close together reciting decades of the rosary handing out papers trying to talk to passersby. My personal view was they were the ones in danger of spreading Covid than the small family groups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭paddyirish23

Lads, it's time to go back to normal nearly all vulnerable ppl have been vaccinated. They telling us outdoors is now pretty much safe. Let's get this negative mindset washed out of our system and enjoy the summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭sioda

Lads, it's time to go back to normal nearly all vulnerable ppl have been vaccinated. They telling us outdoors is now pretty much safe. Let's get this negative mindset washed out of our system and enjoy the summer!
    I don't have a negative mindset just a practical one. People need to still have a bit of common sense. Outside is safer but not when people are stacked on top of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,772 ✭✭✭✭phog

I got my first jab yesterday, they were running a few minutes late but overall I'd rate the vaccination process as very efficient.

I still don't know why they had to use the Radisson over any other city location or one with better pedestrian/public transport links.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Well said, people should not spend their time sniffing out covid breaches walking through the city, time to move on.

phog wrote: »
    I got my first jab yesterday, they were running a few minutes late but overall I'd rate the vaccination process as very efficient.

I still don't know why they had to use the Radisson over any other city location or one with better pedestrian/public transport links.

Personally I would have thought that the South Court or Castletroy Park would have been better locations for the reasons you have mentioned.

Just to compare with some of the other centres:

Portlaoise - in the middle of the town, 5 minutes walk from the train station,
    Nenagh - barely outside the town, next to the Dublin Road,
    Ennis - more or less the same story,

Now maybe there was a sound & well thought-out logistical reason for the Radisson, but just thought I'd chip in with my 2 cents worth either way.

Although that being said I did drop a senior neighbour of mine out there & back (both of us were masked in the car & I take a PCR test weekly). He said he found the whole setup & process fairly seamless. The guy is a retired production manager so he should know an efficient operation when he sees one...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

phog wrote: »

Agree,

If you don’t mind answering

Did you register through the hse portal?

How long between registration - appointment - jab?

Which one did you get?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

SNNUS wrote: »
    Well said, people should not spend their time sniffing out covid breaches walking through the city, time to move on.

That's one opinion. My opinion is that everyone should do their part to keep everyone safe, even when it's inconvenient. You are less likely to get covid outside, but you're not immune.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/face-coverings-masks-and-covid-19/when-to-wear.html

The HSE still recommends the below.
    By law, you have to wear a face covering:

on public transport
    in shops, shopping centres and some other indoor settings
    in banks, posts offices and credit unions
    You should also wear a face covering:

when staying 2 metres apart from people is difficult
    in healthcare settings - this includes hospitals, GP surgeries, care settings, nursing homes and dental practices
    when visiting anyone who is more at risk from COVID-19 (coronavirus) - such as people aged 70 or over or people who are medically vulnerable
    in crowded workplaces, places of worship and in busy outdoor spaces where a lot of people gather

Have you ever tried to stay 2 meters apart from people on a street? Can you stay 2 meters apart on a street? Or even a quiet footpath in a park?

MarkR wrote: »
    Have you ever tried to stay 2 meters apart from people on a street? Can you stay 2 meters apart on a street? Or even a quiet footpath in a park?

Any attempt by the council to temporarily pedestrianise streets to help distance on the street was met with uproar so sadly you can't win

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Any attempt by the council to temporarily pedestrianise streets to help distance on the street was met with uproar so sadly you can't win

Oh I agree. Masks are the only viable protection in close quarters right now.

• Advertisement

Agree,

If you don’t mind answering

Did you register through the hse portal? YES

How long between registration - appointment - jab? Registered last thursday, getting it today

Which one did you get?
    Moderna

not me, but close relative

Advertisement