Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid in Limerick - Mod Warning in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,041 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I was suggest that all funerals are a one of a kind event. The rules should be applied evenly and fairly. That said, I think the rules around funerals are too strict.

The people flying home for funerals or going when they were supposed to be self isolating ruined it for everyone. There have been a few outbreaks from funerals.

Even when funerals get back to normal I quite like the drive by thing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Five more walk-in Covid-19 testing sites to open tomorrow
    In Limerick, a new walk-in test centre will be open at St Joseph’s Health Campus on Mulgrave Street

Why Limerick now?
    No major outbreaks, numbers negligible.

Anyone planning on going?

Kramer wrote: »

Why Limerick now?

Big population centre I assume. Waterford mentioned too but do Galway and Cork have them already I can't keep up

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclette

Why Limerick now?

A colleague of my daughter tested positive today. Because they hadn't met each other in a week, and her colleague only became symptomatic today (they caught it from another family member) my daughter is not considered a close contact. However she is going tomorrow, just for reassurance. My husband is in his 60s and has a heart condition.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Why Limerick now?

I would rather to have a walk-in rather than no walk in, regardless of numbers.

• Advertisement

My daughter and I have just returned home from the Walk-in Covid Testing Centre and it really was a fabulous experience.

Its up in St Joseph's Hospital to the side of the Breast Check van. Everyone there was so kind and reassuring. We arrived shortly before 11am (it opens at 11am) and there was a queue of pedestrians and cars. HSE staff direct you to the general area, where you are met by Civil Defence volunteers. You are then directed to the area where you pull up and are tested.

The whole thing is very efficient. We arrived early and there was a bit of a queue but when we were leaving shortly afterwards there wasn't a queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

I was in Lough Gur yesterday. It was a glorious day and about 20c.

The place was packed with sunbathers, canoeists, families, hillwalkers, groups of teenagers, etc.

Everyone enjoying the water, sun, some food and a chat.

The car park was completely full, so cars had to park along the verge back to the junction.

Not a chance of getting a space after 2pm. In fact, many drivers had to reverse hundreds of metres as there was only space for one line of cars to exit.

The public are readying themselves for the end of Covid-19 and a return to normality.

No need for a Garda presence. Mask usage was virtually nil.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    I was in Lough Gur yesterday. It was a glorious day and about 20c.

The place was packed with sunbathers, canoeists, families, hillwalkers, groups of teenagers, etc.

Everyone enjoying the water, sun, some food and a chat.

The car park was completely full, so cars had to park along the verge back to the junction.

Not a chance of getting a space after 2pm. In fact, many drivers had to reverse hundreds of metres as there was only space for one line of cars to exit.

The public are readying themselves for the end of Covid-19 and a return to normality.

No need for a Garda presence. Mask usage was virtually nil.

Hope they weren't blocking access, loads of people got tickets and towed in Wicklow for similar.

Actually, rereading your post, there was a need for garda presence. Access was obstructed by parked vehicles. If an ambulance was required there would be no way they could access the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭adaminho

adaminho wrote: »

Or use the free army taxi service that was set up same time as the centres. Its also a 35 minute journey from Pennywell to the hotel by bus

• Advertisement

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Or use the free army taxi service that was set up same time as the centres. Its also a 35 minute journey from Pennywell to the hotel by bus

And the crossing is in an 80km/h zone with a roundabout 20 yards away so cars won’t be driving at 80 anyway - further tweet in their thread claims you’ve to cross a 4 land 100km/h dual carriageway.

And the crossing is in an 80km/h zone with a roundabout 20 yards away so cars won’t be driving at 80 anyway - further tweet in their thread claims you’ve to cross a 4 land 100km/h dual carriageway.

They even have a video where the cars are clearly going as slow as they would on most Limerick streets you would cross every day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Do you know how one can contact the free army taxi service?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

adaminho wrote: »

What's your opinion on it adaminho?

In my opinion it's a non-story, the HSE Centres is 1 place, there's also GPs giving out the jab as well as remote for people who can't leave their home. It's not possible to have a vaccination center near everyone and people will need to arrange transport, how about people in West Clare who have to make their way to Ennis? How about people in Connemara who have to get to Ballybrit? How about people in Letterkenny who have to get to Donegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Carodh

Clareman wrote: »
    What's your opinion on it adaminho?

In my opinion it's a non-story, the HSE Centres is 1 place, there's also GPs giving out the jab as well as remote for people who can't leave their home. It's not possible to have a vaccination center near everyone and people will need to arrange transport, how about people in West Clare who have to make their way to Ennis? How about people in Connemara who have to get to Ballybrit? How about people in Letterkenny who have to get to Donegal?

And people in West Clare had to go to the Radisson upto last week.
    That pic in the above tweet is rare. People that age were done in their GP surgery not the vaccine centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Clareman wrote:

My understanding is that GPs are only vaccinating over 70s & people with underlying conditions. I don't think you can choose to be vaccinated by your GP instead of at the vaccination centre.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Gooser14 wrote: »

I'd say ask in the general COVID forum https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1865

This is in relation to a test not a vaccine but Im sure you just tell them if you have a problem getting out there

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40277726.html

My understanding is that GPs are only vaccinating over 70s & people with underlying conditions. I don't think you can choose to be vaccinated by your GP instead of at the vaccination centre.

I don't know to be honest, my understanding is that over 60s are being asked to register on the main HSE site to be vaccinated but the GPs are continuing to roll out as well but the amount of vaccines they are getting is a lot lower than the centers. I'd say ask in the main COVID forum to find out more details as there's a lot of very well informed posters and mods there.

Just my own experience - but there are two different ways to get called. Either on health grounds or because you have registered in your age group.

Hubby and I both got texts for vaccines this coming week (within the space of a matter of minutes). Him, because he registered for a specific age group. Me, because I have an underlying health condition. We both got completely different text messages with different numbers to phone if there is a problem. I got the facility to accept or decline, he didn't.

Both of us are going to the Radisson (different days). I'm getting the Moderna, he is getting the AZ. Both of us attend the same GP practice and we were not contacted by the practice.

Someone else we know who is vulnerable was called out to the Radisson about a month ago and given the AZ. But another very vulnerable person we know was called to their GPs for the Pfizer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Just to clarify, the area of the Radisson is actually in a 100km zone not 80km, with the crossing badly identified, so you do have a 4 lane divided carriageway to cross.

I drove by there yesterday, came around the roundabouts at 50kph. Really wouldn't like to see someone walking across there, the crossing isn't marked out, no zebra lines or lights or anything else to signify to motorists that it's a crossing

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

My GP will not be doing any more vaccinations after the over 70's and those with underlying conditions are done. This means that I have no choice but to go to the Radisson - a 30 minute drive from home.

I'm lucky in that we have a car, but what if we didn't? It would be (at best guess) around €60 return for a taxi and as for walking - around 5hrs 50 mins according to Google Maps :eek:

IMHO this whole vaccination exercise has failed to utilise other methods, such as pharmacies, local mass vaccination clinics in community centres, etc.

Just to clarify, the area of the Radisson is actually in a 100km zone not 80km, with the crossing badly identified, so you do have a 4 lane divided carriageway to cross.

I drove by there yesterday, came around the roundabouts at 50kph. Really wouldn't like to see someone walking across there, the crossing isn't marked out, no zebra lines or lights or anything else to signify to motorists that it's a crossing

To actually clarify. It’s an 80km/h zone. I am 100% certain about this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Incorrect. Heading into the city the 100km zone begins after the Radisson, about 250m from the roundabout and the crossing is only about 20m from the roundabout. So no car would be anywhere near 80km/h, never mind 100km/h at that point. On the other side cars have to slow down to access the roundabout, so again would be doing nowhere near 100km/h.

Mollywolly wrote: »
    My GP will not be doing any more vaccinations after the over 70's and those with underlying conditions are done. This means that I have no choice but to go to the Radisson - a 30 minute drive from home.

I'm lucky in that we have a car, but what if we didn't? It would be (at best guess) around €60 return for a taxi and as for walking - around 5hrs 50 mins according to Google Maps :eek:

IMHO this whole vaccination exercise has failed to utilise other methods, such as pharmacies, local mass vaccination clinics in community centres, etc.

Part of the problem with Covid as opposed to other vaccines is storage, logistics and the sheer numbers being vaccinated which is why it wasn't rolled out in pharmacies and the likes as the flu vaccine is

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

it was grand when it used to be an 80km/h zone the whole way in. Now this 80 100 60 has people speeding up and slowing down and overtaking between the 3 roundabouts

I wouldn't trust that nobody does 100km/h at that roundabout at the radisson, there is a place where people live on one side of the road there and they would be known to do more than 100km/h to turn around and head back into town

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

it was grand when it used to be an 80km/h zone the whole way in. Now this 80 100 60 has people speeding up and slowing down and overtaking between the 3 roundabouts

I wouldn't trust that nobody does 100km/h at that roundabout at the radisson, there is a place where people live on one side of the road there and they would be known to do more than 100km/h to turn around and head back into town
    If you try to do anywhere near 100km/h coming into that roundabout you'll go straight though it, not around it. Simple physics, means that going around the roundabout at more than 100km/h is impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Incorrect. Heading into the city the 100km zone begins after the Radisson, about 250m from the roundabout and the crossing is only about 20m from the roundabout. So no car would be anywhere near 80km/h, never mind 100km/h at that point. On the other side cars have to slow down to access the roundabout, so again would be doing nowhere near 100km/h.

If you are heading from the city to the Radisson, it's a 100km zone from just past the halting site.  I visited the nursing home and then did a 360° and came back to the city and there is no indication that you are in an 80km zone.  There is a 100km sign just after the Radisson.  However, talking to someone this morning they said if you are coming from Bunratty towards the city, there's  an 80km sign on the off ramp.  It's a bit of an ambiguity really as I often do a 360° on that roundabout. Wonder how that would play out in court with a speed van/gardaí ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭phog

It's irrelevant whether is 80 or 100, for an older person trying to cross 2 lanes of traffic at that point is an unreasonable ask. I've seen drivers being cnuts in town at pedestrian crossings, revving or approaching at an unwaranted I assume in an effort to force pedestrians to let them through, Roches St is a laugh at times as their only going to be stopped at the O'Connell St lights.

Some drivers would whiz past pedestrians crossing from the bus stop to the Radisson and think nothing of it but it could be very unsettling for the pedestrian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

If you try to do anywhere near 100km/h coming into that roundabout you'll go straight though it, not around it. Simple physics, means that going around the roundabout at more than 100km/h is impossible.

Considering they put a gosafe van on that stretch, yes people do exceed the 100km/h limit there

Advertisement