Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid in Limerick - Mod Warning in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Redjacketboy

How long is it taking people from registering in Limerick to getting called. And how old are you now?
    Just wondering what people's experience is like on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭The_Dave

How long is it taking people from registering in Limerick to getting called. And how old are you now?

Helped someone regiser a few weeks back, they got a phone call to come down to the Radisson about an hour after completing the registration process

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I know few people who've registered and received their vaccine. It seems to take 4-5 days between registering and getting an appointment date.

52 year olds can register from today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,669 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

MarkR wrote: »
    Oh I agree. Masks are the only viable protection in close quarters right now.

I used to think that masks were relatively useless and that the only way of not spreading/catching the virus was to stay 2m apart... Recently I heard a story about hos it spreads through aerosols from your breath so inevitably I was wrong, very wrong

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I used to think that masks were relatively useless and that the only way of not spreading/catching the virus was to stay 2m apart... Recently I heard a story about hos it spreads through aerosols from your breath so inevitably I was wrong, very wrong
    That was known very early on and is why mask wearing was recommended in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

I'm 62,registered on 25th April and had my vaccination on 7th May, so in total 12 days which was much quicker than I expected.

Have to say I was very impressed with the organisation at the Radisson. Everyone was helpful, friendly and guided you through the process without any issues.

That was known very early on and is why mask wearing was recommended in the first place.

Maybe I wasn't looking in the right places... Either way I hold my hands up on this occasion

Mollywolly wrote: »
    I'm 62,registered on 25th April and had my vaccination on 7th May, so in total 12 days which was much quicker than I expected.

Have to say I was very impressed with the organisation at the Radisson. Everyone was helpful, friendly and guided you through the process without any issues.

They seem to be going through on average 1 age group every 2.5 days from what I can tell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I know a couple who registered last Saturday, both getting Moderna this coming Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭black & white

I'm 59, registered last Tuesday and got my first jab in the Radisson today, AZ. I have to compliment everyone involved, the security, Civil Defence, volunteers, HSE admin staff, army and nurses. Everyone was extremely friendly and helpful and I was in and out in less then a half hour, including 15 minutes waiting afterwards.

• Advertisement

They seem to be going through on average 1 age group every 2.5 days from what I can tell

Do you mean 1 age every 2.5 days? So if say they're doing age 55 today. They will start with the 54's on the 13th May, the 53's on the 15th and so on and so on? What makes you think that's the pace?

Do you mean 1 age every 2.5 days? So if say they're doing age 55 today. They will start with the 54's on the 13th May, the 53's on the 15th and so on and so on? What makes you think that's the pace?

Scrap that theory that would mean 39 year old would be getting done next week! Wishful thinking or what!

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

MarkR wrote: »
    That's one opinion. My opinion is that everyone should do their part to keep everyone safe, even when it's inconvenient. You are less likely to get covid outside, but you're not immune.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/face-coverings-masks-and-covid-19/when-to-wear.html

The HSE still recommends the below.

Have you ever tried to stay 2 meters apart from people on a street? Can you stay 2 meters apart on a street? Or even a quiet footpath in a park?

The vulnerable people in our country have been vaccinated, people still keep their distance, acting like no one is vaccinated is just anxiety.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

SNNUS wrote: »
    The vulnerable people in our country have been vaccinated, people still keep their distance, acting like no one is vaccinated is just anxiety.

"The vulnerable people in our country have been vaccinated, people still keep their distance, acting like no one is vaccinated is just anxiety."
    being careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭phog

Agree,

If you don’t mind answering

Did you register through the hse portal? Yes

How long between registration - appointment - jab? a couple of days, had to postpone first appointment, new appointment followed a day or two later for the a day later than initial appointment

Which one did you get?
    AZ

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Are any of the MVC sites in Limerick doing Pfizer or Moderna?
    Don’t want an AZ

I know a couple who registered last Saturday, both getting Moderna this coming Saturday

What vaccination site ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Was registered by a doctor on Thursday, called on Friday, appointment on the Saturday (Moderna)

Despite being high risk it took ages to get registed by anyone. If you're high risk and under fifty, you will have to nag your GP or consultant until you get an appointment. The assumption that everyone who is at risk of illness is over 70 is garbage.

Also, the long term effects are concerning at any age, and vaccines are not 100% so it makes sense for *everyone* to stay cautious for a few more months until vaccination is widespread AND case numbers approach zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,044 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Don’t want an AZ

Yes. It just depends on what is available on the day

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

SNNUS wrote: »

I'm afraid that isn't correct.
    Figures show that less than 1% of people deemed to be in the high-risk Group 7 for Covid-19 have received a vaccine so far.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0512/1221083-virus-vaccine-rollout/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Don’t want an AZ

I know of three people getting the vaccine at the Radisson next Saturday, all 55 years, all getting Moderna

Just to add, they all got the appointment text just after 6pm

I know of three people getting the vaccine at the Radisson next Saturday, all 55 years, all getting Moderna

Just to add, they all got the appointment text just after 6pm

Thanks. the mother is 68 and high risk but refuses to get a AZ. GP useless as expected. Don’t know what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Don’t want an AZ

Know alot of 58/59 year olds getting Moderna in Radisson this week. Last week I knew alot of 61/63s in Radisson all seemed to be getting AZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,044 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Thanks. the mother is 68 and high risk but refuses to get a AZ. GP useless as expected. Don’t know what to do.

I don't think your GP gets to decide what jab you get. The have said from the start it's a case of take what your offered or back of the line

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Most GPs have to take what shipment of vaccine they are given when it arrives with little prior notice. They lave little control over which vaccines to give to whom. If she is very high risk her consultant should have requested a particular vaccine but its difficult to control from the GPs surgery.

Don’t want an AZ

Why are you and your mother refusing the AZ vaccine? Her GP probably can't do much about it in fairness

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I don't think you can choose what vaccine you get and it's down to whatever is available at the time you go, if you decide to go for something else you go to the back of the queue again I think, which makes sense or else they'll be left with loads of 1 type.

Saying all that I'm far far far removed from being an expert so I'd say ask in the vaccine thread in the COVID forum if you're concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclette

Don’t want an AZ

As stated, you take what you get. I got the Moderna last Tuesday - I was called earlier than my age group because of an underlying health condition. My husband got the AZ on Wednesday - his because he is over 60. Both of us were vaccinated in the Radisson.

I had been scheduled to get an AZ on the Wednesday after the Tuesday when everything erupted. My appointment was cancelled at short notice. Yes, I am thrilled I got the Moderna. But was at the point where I would have taken anything, even Sputnik.

The AZ contract has not been renewed. Going forward - and Covid Vaccines are going to be here for quite some time - it will most likely be the Janssen or an mRNA vaccine people will be getting.

Bicyclette wrote: »
    As stated, you take what you get. I got the Moderna last Tuesday - I was called earlier than my age group because of an underlying health condition. My husband got the AZ on Wednesday - his because he is over 60. Both of us were vaccinated in the Radisson.

I had been scheduled to get an AZ on the Wednesday after the Tuesday when everything erupted. My appointment was cancelled at short notice. Yes, I am thrilled I got the Moderna. But was at the point where I would have taken anything, even Sputnik.

The AZ contract has not been renewed. Going forward - and Covid Vaccines are going to be here for quite some time - it will most likely be the Janssen or an mRNA vaccine people will be getting.

Sputnik V, on paper anyway, is a very good vaccine... The first jab is an AD5 vaccine, very similar (possibly the same) formulation as J&J, the second jab is an AD8 vaccine and the experts believe that is why it has such a high rated efficacy

I think the AZ contract not being renewed is down to them being stung so badly with the delivery schedule. Of course the AZ vaccine was designed to be used by third world countries so it is only right that we don't take their supply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭phog

Take what's offered?

It's been said often enough that people won't have a choice on what they get, I suppose people could keep refusing until they eventually get a vaccine that they like, in the meantime they could pick up Covid and be up the proverbial creek.

Advertisement