Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only Fools & Horses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,141 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

If it's a boy they're gonna call him Rodney....

.... After Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

My all time favourite show. Never gets old in my eyes. I read recently that the looney left were attacking it for infringing their rights somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

what makes it great is that the brotherly love comes across as absolutely genuine. there is a good sprinkling of sad bits which is vital too.

The scene in the elevator with Del and Rodney after Cassandra lost the baby was heartbreaking but genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,445 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The scene in the elevator with Del and Rodney after Cassandra lost the baby was heartbreaking but genius.

Absolutely. That scene to me shows the brilliance of John Sullivan and David Jason and Nicholas lyndhurst because it's done to perfection.

That scene also shows that the underlying theme is family. Yes the show involves del wheeling and dealing and yes the two brothers don't alway see eye to eye but when push comes to shove they will be there for each other.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Also loved the tony angelino episode. I cant listen to crying by roy orbison in the same way since
    I always chuckle when I hear that song, even now. :D

The episode where grandad died was fantastic. Went from laughing to crying in a couple of minutes. "Families, they hold you back, drag you down... then they break your bloody heart." :(

• Registered Users Posts: 35,704 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 15,790 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Liked it until the lads started playing happy families, lost interest at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Brilliant comedy with real heart and brilliantly written.

Stuff like Granddad's funeral with Rodney absentmindedly throwing a hat into Granddad's grave (what seems like a solemn gesture of a grief-stricken relative) only for the vicar to politely enquire at the end of the service a few minutes later "has anyone seen my hat".

I loved it right until the end when they became millionaires.

Then they brought it back, had then lose all their money and it was terrible. I try and pretend those episodes didn't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Posy wrote: »

Then they brought it back, had then lose all their money and it was terrible. I try and pretend those episodes didn't happen.

I didn't mind those episodes at all.

The only real duds in my opinion were the Miami Twice episodes.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 25,411 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

The only episodes I will switch off, they just didn't do it for me.

But sure knowing the show they had to lose the money as if they came back and kept the money it wouldn't be the same show.

I loved the last episode with the last scene being at the grave of their mother given how much of a massive part of the story she was even if we never saw her. The only issue I had with the return specials is how they completely altered the backstory of Freddie the frog and all that went with it. We are supposed to forget about the the coffin buried at sea and triggers aunt(played by the brilliant joan Simms) and the funeral director. That was annoying.

What did people think of the Prequel Rock and Chips ? I liked it even if some of the actors didn't get the characters they were playing.

Did I imagine it but did they add a laugh track to those episodes when originally there wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

kenmm wrote: »
    Its a great show, but you wouldn't 'get away with it' because it is (in places) highly racist, sexist and homophobic.

Thats not got f-all to do with snowflakes, its just highly offensive to non whites, women and gay people.

It is still possible to say its a great show, while also acknowledging we were a bunch of ignorant feckers back in the day!

Not exclusively non white, some of example off the top of my head where they slagged the Irish

Passing a cement mixer- that’s an Irishman’s tumble dryer

Then there was the Irish builder Brendan- Paddy McGintys Ghost

the shamrock Club- The Paddy’s Molina-Rouge (sic)

Doesn’t bother me in the slightest, I watched this show back to back for years, not so much now. For me it all turned sour when they came into money and walked into the Nags Head, Mike calls Del sir and says he will but all the sandwiches coz Rodney got the rolls, so I never rewatched passed there but easily still my all time favorite show

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

"If it's a girl they're gonna call it Cassandra, after Cassandra.
    If it's a boy they're gonna call it Rodney, after Dave"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

I also loved how they mixed with he serious with the humorous:

Grandad: They took Nobby away and . . . tortured him! You could hear his screams echoing through the night!

Rodney: Woke you up at one point didn't it?

Grandad: The last thing on my mind was sleep Rodney! But no matter what they done to him Nobby wouldn't say a word!

Del: I bet he didn't ever have his Callard and Bowser to suck on did he!

Grandad: Then it were my turn!

Rodney: They . . . they tortured you?

Grandad: No! But they would have done if I hadn't told them everything I knew!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭Motivator

I can’t remember what episode it was but there’s one line that always gets me in it. Del is in the Nag’s Head with Boycie and they’re looking over at Rodney. Del says that Rodney reminds him of his mother and Boycie quick as anything agrees and then under his breath says:

“Oh yes, standing in the corner of a pub with two geezers”

Absolutely brilliant show and it never gets old. Those type of shows just wouldn’t work these days, the camera work, the setting, the sound and the characters. It is one of, if not the best shows of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,717 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

SaneLimitedAntelopegroundsquirrel-size_restricted.gif

'Who's Rachel ?'

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Motivator wrote: »
    I can’t remember what episode it was but there’s one line that always gets me in it. Del is in the Nag’s Head with Boycie and they’re looking over at Rodney. Del says that Rodney reminds him of his mother and Boycie quick as anything agrees and then under his breath says:

“Oh yes, standing in the corner of a pub with two geezers”

Absolutely brilliant show and it never gets old. Those type of shows just wouldn’t work these days, the camera work, the setting, the sound and the characters. It is one of, if not the best shows of all time.

That's "Dates", the episode where Del meets Raquel with the help of a dating agency. Del pretends to be a high-flying businessman called "Derek Duvall" in order to impress her.

It's also the episode where Rodney brings Nervous Nerys out on a date in the three-wheeled van and ends up getting chased by a gang of hooligans in a famous scene. One of my favourite episodes.

• Advertisement

The post about the torture above grandad reminded me( I think it’s the same episode) where Grandad got arrested for jaywalking but del and Rodney don’t know that and we get the brilliant story of the fact Grandad was barred Spain and all its territories for ****ing gun running in the Spanish civil war.

There was the story about a cigarette box that was held by another family member during the battle of Rorkes drift. And how the it saved him from being shot through the chest but went up and blew his brains out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

The best show of all time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Odelay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G7foe3IGwc

The paragliding episode, absolute laugh out loud comedy gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

https://youtu.be/ED2pg0P8zf0

There's a Rhino Loose in the City!
    Albert: What's it about Del?

Rodney's wedding episode is one of my (many) favourites.
    The hilarity of Del getting a mobile phone up his nose, then later on, the poignant moments where we find out Del got a hiding from the Driscoll brothers because he wouldn't give them the money he had promised Rodney for the deposit on a flat, and Rodney leaving Del alone as he leaves for his honeymoon.

Rodney's middle name. :D
    Then the fantastic ending "You don't live here no more!"

• Registered Users Posts: 25,411 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

The hilarity of Del getting a mobile phone up his nose, then later on, the poignant moments where we find out Del got a hiding from the Driscoll brothers because he wouldn't give them the money he had promised Rodney for the deposit on a flat, and Rodney leaving Del alone as he leaves for his honeymoon.

Everytime I hear simply reds holding back the years I think of this episode.

Me too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

Always liked that one about the rhino loose in the city.

Charlton Heston ? No Charlton Athletic!

• Advertisement

The jolly boys outing episode is brilliant aswell.

The bus driver was legless because of fumes on the bus.

Trigger: what's wrong with harry ?
    Mike: snowblindness would be my bet trig.
    Trigger: I just thought he was pissed.

Advertisement