Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Only Fools & Horses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

The one where Rodney is estranged from Cassandra and is getting ready to meet a girl at the pictures to Del's disgust. Del telling Albert to pretend he is shocked to guilt trip Rodney but he keeps missing his "cue" and even David Jason struggles to keep a straight face. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

One of my faves, Grandad horrified...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIMv8ZyfnJ8

Great show.

Guessing you aren’t the biggest fan. That was great uncle Albert

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

My favorite fools and horses moment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

It has so many moments that had me in tears laughing, the jolly boys outing episode is comedy perfection.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

I wouldnt drink that water del, not after what I have been doing in it.

The peckham pouncer.

So many great episodes and guys who went onto be stars such as jim broadbent and max from eastenders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭tastyt

Brilliant comedy , especially the first 7 or 8 seasons.

The best times were when del & Rodney were ducking and driving trying to score a big winner.

Might sound sexist but the whole show went downhill when the two lads were coupled up. The spark kinda left the show and Cassandra & Raquel were two painfully unfunny and wooden characters / actresses.

But the earlier series are absolute gold!!

Also loved the tony angelino episode. I cant listen to crying by roy orbison in the same way since 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Great show. The self contained episodes of the earlier seasons were fantastic, the writing was incredible. So many memorable setpieces that have gone down in tv history. Think my favourite was "To Hull and back" where Del and Rodney get in on a diamond smuggle from Amsterdam.
    tastyt wrote: »

Might sound sexist but the whole show went downhill when the two lads were coupled up. The spark kinda left the show and Cassandra & Raquel were two painfully unfunny and wooden characters / actresses.
    But the earlier series are absolute gold!!

Agree. It did loose its way in the later seasons. I suppose the natural progression was for them to get married/settle down, but it was definitely at it's best in the early years.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

My favorite fools and horses moment

That scene wasnt in the original script, Roger Llyod Pack (who played Trigger) was filming something else in the studio beside this one & asked was he needed for anything.

A quick rewrite gave the best scene ever. Priceless face on Trig.

I havent heard Plonker be used in any other show.

This time next year ......

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Also loved the tony angelino episode. I cant listen to crying by roy orbison in the same way since ��

Cwwwwwwwying ........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Andrew00 wrote: »
    One of the best TV shows every made.

Wouldn't get away with making it now due to the PC Climate Change snowflake brigade

Its a great show, but you wouldn't 'get away with it' because it is (in places) highly racist, sexist and homophobic.

Thats not got f-all to do with snowflakes, its just highly offensive to non whites, women and gay people.

It is still possible to say its a great show, while also acknowledging we were a bunch of ignorant feckers back in the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Andrew00 wrote: »
    One of the best TV shows every made.

Wouldn't get away with making it now due to the PC Climate Change snowflake brigade

I’m cringing reading this. As if only Climate Change deniers like Only Fools and Horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,402 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Cwwwwwwwying ........

The gween gween gwass of hooooome :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Some great stuff in it, but some of the racism was shocking.

The gween gween gwass of hooooome :pac:

Followed by a medley of wock n woll

I knew you was cheating. Coz that wasnt the hand that I dealt you

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

For me when watching these episodes they were entertaining and funny and setup well, so that you wanted to know what was going to happen.
    Then on a second watch you are somewhat in on the joke and it's just as funny.
    Thats writing gold.
    E.g When del stole the Microwave (or something) and Slatter wants him as his informant.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭WhiteMan32

"What is that funny noise...........?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Rod- I can't tell a lie
    Del- Raquel can tell a lie, as soon as one leaves my lips.

Gary!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭893bet

I love the one where Rodney is dating the older woman whose husband is in prison.

Del finds out her age (40 I think?) and goes

“She is even to old for me Rodney”

Granddad pipes up from the corner

“Even I would have to think twice”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭893bet

Can anyone tell me why my YouTube links don’t embed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Seve OB wrote: »
    Guessing you aren’t the biggest fan. That was great uncle Albert

Ha ha. Ooops.

Alright, Dave ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

893bet wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me why my YouTube links don’t embed?

You only put the bit after the 'v=' between the youtube tags.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Is dave a nickname then ? That again shows the genius of John Sullivan in the recurring gag which wasn't lashed into but over time was just genius.

Sullivan's writing made this series, added to good actors like Jason etc delivering the lines.
    The development of the characters over time wa brilliant, weaved in social changes over the years, characters like Denzel who was treated with suspicious early days by the gang, gradually painted as a straight shooting recurring character, reflecting the growing acceptance of Afro Caribbean people over a 30 odd year period into British society.... Works on so many levels, but first and foremost was damn funny over an extended period.
    Wouldn't work now..... not for the perceived PC mentioned, but modern viewers, especially the YouTube generation, will not invest 30-40 minutes in a developing story line like those in Only Fools. The likes of The Big Bang Theory has 'laughs' every 40 or 50 seconds, not funny laughs, but the canned type.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    You mean Dave:D
    I love watching the reruns on Rodney.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

valoren wrote: »
    The one where Rodney is estranged from Cassandra and is getting ready to meet a girl at the pictures to Del's disgust. Del telling Albert to pretend he is shocked to guilt trip Rodney but he keeps missing his "cue" and even David Jason struggles to keep a straight face. Brilliant.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

what makes it great is that the brotherly love comes across as absolutely genuine. there is a good sprinkling of sad bits which is vital too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Sad thing is, Only Fools would not get made now in this bitter PC climate.

Sure some of the jokes have aged better than others, but there is a good naturedness to it which was always part of the charm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Followed by a medley of wock n woll

I love that line because Nicholas lyndhurst bursts out laughing in what I'm convinced was a genuine laugh.

Advertisement