Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Only Fools & Horses

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Ended up watching loads of clips today.
    What really makes Only fools special is that you can watch them over and over without getting borded. You know the gags, you know what’s coming........ and you still laugh. I spit my cornflakes out this morning watching one of the clips above.

Priceless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Posy wrote: »
    I loved it right until the end when they became millionaires.

Then they brought it back, had then lose all their money and it was terrible. I try and pretend those episodes didn't happen.

agree, it should have ended on a high when they had finally become millionaires, can watch on the old shows on a loop but have only seen the shows after they lost their fortune once and once was more than enough........The early episodes are some of the funniest sit-coms ever made.........The only show that matches it for me is Minder.........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

When that dad comes back at Christmas claiming he's only out of hospital.

Delboy: Don't listen to him Rodney, I remember when I was in school and I asked him what a cubic foot was, he said he didn't know but tried to have a week of work with it!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Absolute classic show!!
    Thanks for reminding me of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

It was a wonderful show. I rarely watch tv but if the repeats are on I might watch one. Ive even left it on in the background while working in the kitchen. It was fairly good clean fun, if you dont take umbrage at daft little things.

The Young Ones was good too, and The Good Life. O.f.and h was the best, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

I love the one where they pose as Chandellier cleaners - everyone knows the big moment at the end, but the whole episode is so funny, classic Del moments!!

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The jolly boys outing episode is brilliant aswell.

The bus driver was legless because of fumes on the bus.

Trigger: what's wrong with harry ?
    Mike: snowblindness would be my bet trig.
    Trigger: I just thought he was pissed.

Jolly Boys often tops fans' polls for favourite episode.
    Some of Trigger's best lines are in this episode:

"Ain't this coach fitted with a fire distinguisher?"

"And I lost my Dolphin!"

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

"And I lost my Dolphin!"

That cast and crew made an event of that episode and had their own jolly boys outing and if you watch the scene on the big wheel thing they go on if you watch carefully you'll see Denzil swearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    agree, it should have ended on a high when they had finally become millionaires, can watch on the old shows on a loop but have only seen the shows after they lost their fortune once and once was more than enough........The early episodes are some of the funniest sit-coms ever made.........The only show that matches it for me is Minder.........

I only discovered The Professionals very recently on itv and I'm addicted. It would never be made today and some episodes have scenes censored. Though not a comedy like fools and horses the banter between the 3 leads is very funny and the show has a certain charm. Have started watching minder too for the first time and loved fools and horses when I watched it first time around. Must watch it again on netflix.

• Advertisement

I only discovered The Professionals very recently on itv and I'm addicted. It would never be made today and some episodes have scenes censored. Though not a comedy like fools and horses the banter between the 3 leads is very funny and the show has a certain charm. Have started watching minder too for the first time and loved fools and horses when I watched it first time around. Must watch it again on netflix.

Meant to add that the actor who played Trigger in fools and horses appeared as a baddie in one of the professionals episodes. His voices was dubbed and it was so bad it was good!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Keep an eye on ITV 3 and 4 if you have them. They often do reruns ot early Minder episodes.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Keep an eye on ITV 3 and 4 if you have them. They often do reruns ot early Minder episodes.

Thanks. Only tuned in it4 lately on the tv. Am loving the sweeney as well as I hadn't seen it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Motivator

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    That cast and crew made an event of that episode and had their own jolly boys outing and if you watch the scene on the big wheel thing they go on if you watch carefully you'll see Denzil swearing.

I saw an interview with David Jason a few years back and the episode was brought up. I think they spent two weeks down in Margate filming it. It’s one of the great episodes in any comedy show.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

"And I lost my Dolphin!"

"I got a room in a motel. They don't know I ain't got a car".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,059 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Rodney: You mean you were gun-running in the middle of a civil war?

Grandad: Well that's the best time to do it Rodney, supply and demand!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,623 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Speaking of the Margate episode

One of the funniest bits ever -
    Rodney:
    I could do with another blanket here, I'm freezing.

Del Boy:
    Yeah it is a bit cold.

Uncle Albert:
    Cold? You bits of kids don't know the meaning of the word. You should have been with me on the Russian convoys. One night it was so cold the flame on my lighter froze.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Andrew00 wrote: »
    One of the best TV shows every made.

Wouldn't get away with making it now due to the PC Climate Change snowflake brigade

You know we live in a world where "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" is one of the most popular comedies in the world and "Veep" is/was universally acclaimed and hugely popular. Two shows that are not afraid to go at taboo topics and often times seek them out, two shows that would have a huge fanbase that would consider themselves socially left leaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Seve OB wrote: »
    Ended up watching loads of clips today.
    What really makes Only fools special is that you can watch them over and over without getting borded. You know the gags, you know what’s coming........ and you still laugh. I spit my cornflakes out this morning watching one of the clips above.

Priceless

In fairness, that’s any show anybody is invested in.

Only Fools is one of those shows that in isolation it’s not that funny but with the characters story and relationships becomes infinitely funnier

• Registered Users Posts: 19,920 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I love OFAH but I always get annoyed when people trot out the line : "you wouldn't get away with that now".

The whole point of the show was relevant to the time in which it was set. That's one of the things that makes it great. Do Delboy finding out he's in a gay bar walking out with his arze to the wall (he also made a joke about "tonight we dance with our bank to the wall" when he suspects the barman is gay). That joke works in the 80s in the context of HIV and the genuine suspicion of gays. But it would be a low quality joke if it was made in a TV show in 2020 because the everyday suspicion of gays doesn't exist any more.

Likewise in one of the christmas specials Albert looks over at the black lads by the jukebox and says "I can't hear myself think with all that money music". That's a great time capsule of how people thought and spoke back then. It would be out of context and very clunky if it were made in 2020.

Comedy moves on because reality moves on and comedy is only relevant if it tracks culture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I love OFAH but I always get annoyed when people trot out the line : "you wouldn't get away with that now

Likewise in one of the christmas specials Albert looks over at the black lads by the jukebox and says "I can't hear myself think with all that money music". That's a great time capsule of how people thought and spoke back then. It would be out of context and very clunky if it were made in 2020.

Comedy moves on because reality moves on and comedy is only relevant if it tracks culture.

You sure about that? I don’t ever remember it going that far

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

It should have been left at the original 3 series run.
    They were unparalleled. Brilliant comedic actors, intelligent well scripted writing with a quality punchline at the end.
    By the time the girlfriends/wives start getting involved it has completely jumped the shark.
    The only other British Comedy to touch those early seasons was Fawlty Towers. Cleese did it the right way - 12 episodes and left it at that.
    There just wasn't 60+ episodes of material for OFAH.
    They were simply milking it for all it was worth making Xmas specials over a decade after it ended. I can't even watch that Miami episode.
    The characters are just weak caricature of themselves by then.

You sure about that? I don’t ever remember it going that far

What bit? The gay jokes or black jokes? They were both there. I don’t see either of them going too far because they were both jokes from their time. That’s how delboy and uncle Albert spoke and behaved.

The gay joke was a Christmas special and the black joke was a movie (I think it was “To Hull and Back” where they go to Amsterdam on a diamond smuggling job.
    Obviously it wouldn’t made now because “backs to the wall” gay jokes and “monkey music” black jokes aren’t really relevant now.

If your mate made a “back to the wall” gay joke in the pub on Friday night, would you think it was funny? It’s a 40 year old joke. Hardly cutting edge comedy.

I still love OFAH though because it’s a great comedy time capsule to the context of those days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

What bit? The gay jokes or black jokes? They were both there. I don’t see either of them going too far because they were both jokes from their time. That’s how delboy and uncle Albert spoke and behaved.

The gay joke was a Christmas special and the black joke was a movie (I think it was “To Hull and Back” where they go to Amsterdam on a diamond smuggling job.
    Obviously it wouldn’t made now because “backs to the wall” gay jokes and “monkey music” black jokes aren’t really relevant now.

If your mate made a “back to the wall” gay joke in the pub on Friday night, would you think it was funny? It’s a 40 year old joke. Hardly cutting edge comedy.

I still love OFAH though because it’s a great comedy time capsule to the context of those days.

I was referring to your music example hence that’s the bit I left in the quote.

you are precisely the one who mentioned the irrelevance of “you wouldn’t get away with that now ”, yet you have used it yourself above

I was simply saying that I don’t remember the “monkey music” quote, I will have a search through the original scripts later, they are all on geocities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

mackeire wrote: »
    "If it's a girl they're gonna call it CassandraSigourney, after Cassandrathat actress Sigourney Weaver.
    If it's a boy they're gonna call it Rodney, after Dave"

Fixed

I was referring to your music example hence that’s the bit I left in the quote.

you are precisely the one who mentioned the irrelevance of “you wouldn’t get away with that now ”, yet you have used it yourself above

I was simply saying that I don’t remember the “monkey music” quote, I will have a search through the original scripts later, they are all on geocities

Yeah it’s not just a case of you wouldn’t get away with that now, but monkey music jokes aren’t in the culture now so they would be completely our of place now. That’s just how comedy works.

Yeah you’re right. It’s here on geocities.

https://www.ofah.net/files/To Hull And Back.txt

Second scene, in the pub.

It should have been left at the original 3 series run.
    They were unparalleled. Brilliant comedic actors, intelligent well scripted writing with a quality punchline at the end.
    By the time the girlfriends/wives start getting involved it has completely jumped the shark.
    The only other British Comedy to touch those early seasons was Fawlty Towers. Cleese did it the right way - 12 episodes and left it at that.
    There just wasn't 60+ episodes of material for OFAH.
    They were simply milking it for all it was worth making Xmas specials over a decade after it ended. I can't even watch that Miami episode.
    The characters are just weak caricature of themselves by then.

As a massive fan of the show, I disagree.

I actually love the Miami Twice episodes. The character of "Don Occhetti" was supposed to be a caricature of Del, that was the whole point of the plot.

Leaving that aside, some of the best episodes featured the female partners and/or uncle Albert such as: Jolly Boys Outing, The unlucky Winner is..(Rodney pretends to be 14 to win a holiday abroad,
    Danger UXD (the blow-up dolls), Stage Fright (Tony Angelino).

Then some underrated episodes: The Longest Night (the shadow), Chain Gang (Arnie and the gold chains) and To Hull and Back.

The only episodes I can't rewatch are: A Royal Flush, of which John Sullivan himself had regrets about and I don't rate the final three episodes.

As a massive fan of the show, I disagree.

I actually love the Miami Twice episodes. The character of "Don Occhetti" was supposed to be a caricature of Del, that was the whole point of the plot.

Leaving that aside, some of the best episodes featured the female partners and/or uncle Albert such as: Jolly Boys Outing, The unlucky Winner is..(Rodney pretends to be 14 to win a holiday abroad,
    Danger UXD (the blow-up dolls), Stage Fright (Tony Angelino).

Then some underrated episodes: The Longest Night (the shadow), Chain Gang (Arnie and the gold chains) and To Hull and Back.

The only episodes I can't rewatch are: A Royal Flush, of which John Sullivan himself had regrets about and I don't rate the final three episodes.

I love some of the other episodes like chain gang and the unlucky winner is, But Miami twice was be far and away my least favourite. A proper dud. A massive mistake in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Miami Twice are bad episodes.
    Totally unlike the rest of the show. It's about Del, Rodney and Albert/Granddad and the collection of supporting classic characters getting in to crazy situations, down the nags head, down the market, in peckham, the flats, etc etc.

Not Del and Rodney going over to Miami and having to see David Jason pull double duty as a mafiso. To Hull and Back is a far much better episode and can be compared as they leave england etc. But that was done right.

• Advertisement

I love some of the other episodes like chain gang and the unlucky winner is, But Miami twice was be far and away my least favourite. A proper dud. A massive mistake in my opinion.

I appreciate I am in the minority for Miami Twice but I was making the general point that the quality of the programme did not deteriorate following series three, it had to revive and keep relevant, and the introduction of the female partners was crucial to its development.

Advertisement