Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness to become vegan / vegetarian friendly

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    It always amuses me to see vegans drink Coke.

Urban myth.. although not for Lilt

Are your drinks suitable for vegans and vegetarians?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Guinness is about to become vegetarian friendly and stop using a fish by-product known as isinglass.

I really hope this won't drastically or even slightly later the taste of the iconic beverage. It's another foolish step like the introduction of those new pint glasses a few years back.

Is it really worth pandering to the whims of such a small minority of people if it's going to ruin the taste for the majority?

Source:

http://www.her.ie/life/guinness-lovers-rejoice-a-pint-of-the-black-stuff-is-about-to-become-vegan-friendly/262804

Guinness stopped being an iconic beverage when they started fcuking about with the brewing methods and recipe to "appeal to a wider audience". The new recipes and brewing methods have never appealed to a wider audience, so they've had to rely on marketing to try and encourage people to drink their pisswater.

The result is that their sales of Guinness have dropped through the floor, in spite of the last two decades of marketing campaigns. Now their advertising campaigns are trying desperately to appeal to yet another minority audience in an attempt to boost their flagging sales.

What was once an iconic drink, has become a lesson in "if it ain't broken, don't fcuk with it".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

They're easy to spot, they reek of 'holier than thou'.
    In my experience this gets said more than being the actual case. They can get a bit of a hard time for their personal choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,842 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Azalea wrote: »
    In my experience this gets said more than being the actual case. They can get a bit of a hard time for their personal choices.

I beg to differ, I get bombarded with Facebook vegan/vegetarian preaching-to-the-converted guilt-trip articles on a daily basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

The main causes of global warming are immigrants and Conradh na Gaeilge.

FACT. END OFF.

No, actually it's racist idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

Caoimhgh1n wrote: »
    Just because you don't care about the fact animal agriculture is the main cause of global warming, the reason the Amazon is being torn down, why the fish numbers will be almost depleted in 60 years

Really? I always thought it had something to do with fossil fuels and that crac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

There are some very informative videos and statistics online. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Is there a low fat, low carb version? #gym #gymrat #workout #gainz #legday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Ruu wrote: »
    Is there a low fat, low carb version? #gym #gymrat #workout #gainz #legday

I always thought Guinness and stout in general had the lowest amount of calories out of all the beers.

I drink Beamish, so this won't bother me. I doubt it'll affect the taste much though. The product was just used to make the beer less cloudy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Every single vegan I have ever met has been a lovely person that has never ranted or raved at anyone. Posters jumping on them, insulting them; it's incredibly immature and makes you seem like nasty little children picking on a smaller kid in a playground.

99% of vegans are just people who don't like hurting animals - that's it. You'd think that wouldn't provoke such a hateful, knee-jerk reaction. Post a news article about anyone that hurt a dog or a cat in After Hours and the same posters will be frothing at the mouth to have them lynched, yet suggest that other animals like pigs or cows might deserve some compassion and everyone jumps over themselves to be the next one to make some ignorant quip about arrogant vegans, which is just a myth outside of PETA's PR people.

Yiz are a big bunch of hypocrites and cowards half the time.

More on topic: isinglass is just used to remove some of the sediment from the beer, it doesn't change the flavour and there are plenty of non-fish alternatives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭sonny.knowles

Zillah wrote: »
    Every single vegan I have ever met has been a lovely person that has never ranted or raved at anyone.

Is there a punchline to this joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Guinness stopped being an iconic beverage when they started fcuking about with the brewing methods and recipe to "appeal to a wider audience". The new recipes and brewing methods have never appealed to a wider audience, so they've had to rely on marketing to try and encourage people to drink their pisswater.

The result is that their sales of Guinness have dropped through the floor, in spite of the last two decades of marketing campaigns. Now their advertising campaigns are trying desperately to appeal to yet another minority audience in an attempt to boost their flagging sales.

What was once an iconic drink, has become a lesson in "if it ain't broken, don't fcuk with it".

Tbf their sales figures are up this year but they had been dropping for the last 5 years before that. They still have a very large share of the market here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

I beg to differ, I get bombarded with Facebook vegan/vegetarian preaching-to-the-converted guilt-trip articles on a daily basis.
    Fair enough, I can't argue with your own experiences.

It's just, at times, vegetarians/vegans get dismissed in a kneejerk fashion as arrogant and preachy, when it depends on the individual. Same with atheists. Of course there are arses among them all, but I think the extent of it seems exaggerated.

Advertisement