Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness to become vegan / vegetarian friendly

Options
  • 01-11-2015 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

Guinness is about to become vegetarian friendly and stop using a fish by-product known as isinglass.

I really hope this won't drastically or even slightly later the taste of the iconic beverage. It's another foolish step like the introduction of those new pint glasses a few years back.

Is it really worth pandering to the whims of such a small minority of people if it's going to ruin the taste for the majority?

Source:

http://www.her.ie/life/guinness-lovers-rejoice-a-pint-of-the-black-stuff-is-about-to-become-vegan-friendly/262804

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Lemme know when it becomes drinkable ;) /beersnob

So I've been drinking fish all this time? Ewwww. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

Links234 wrote: »
    Lemme know when it becomes drinkable ;) /beersnob

It's drinkable, but it's no Founders.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Didn't think a vegan would have the strength to lift a pint

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

isinglass ???? It's better when out of glass and is in me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

Just because you don't care about the fact animal agriculture is the main cause of global warming, the reason the Amazon is being torn down, why the fish numbers will be almost depleted in 60 years, doesn't mean you should stop the company from making a good decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Doesnt matter what's in it or what it tastes like. Guinness is all about the marketing and they've got Diageo's big bucks backing them up with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Caoimhgh1n wrote: »
    Just because you don't care about the fact animal agriculture is the main cause of global warming, the reason the Amazon is being torn down, why the fish numbers will be almost depleted in 60 years, doesn't mean you should stop the company from making a good decision.

Eugh... I'll be well dead before it has any massive effect on my life. Bring back the original recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Guinness has been modified over the years, this Is nothing new. You hardly imagine, OP, that Guinness in 1759 was the same as in 2015?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭OU812

Eutow wrote: »
    It's drinkable, but it's no Founders.

Is that REALLY that nice? I've picked it up a couple of times to maybe purchase it, but put it back each time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It is used for clearing the beer, only trace amounts would be in it as its discarded with the spent yeast. It does not have much flavour so you will not notice it.

If I was vegan I would avoid beer altogether since a huge amount of insects are typically killed during the harvesting of hops. Other alcoholic drinks would have a lower "death toll" associated with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

OU812 wrote: »
    Is that REALLY that nice? I've picked it up a couple of times to maybe purchase it, but put it back each time.

Founders Porter is one of the nicest ones out there, it's like drinking dark chocolate, it's so rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Didn't think a vegan would have the strength to lift a pint

Fcuking fairies in smelly wooly jumpers.
    Will the Guinness still be stinking when they change it? Awful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

OU812 wrote: »

I like it, probably not the best stout I've had.

FrStone wrote: »
    Eugh... I'll be well dead before it has any massive effect on my life. Bring back the original recipe.

Guinness Foreign Extra Stout is probably closer to the original receipe. I prefer it to the draft / can version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

rubadub wrote: »
    If I was vegan I would avoid beer altogether since a huge amount of insects are typically killed during the harvesting of hops. Other alcoholic drinks would have a lower "death toll" associated with them.

OMG JOE, that's terrible :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Just because you don't care about the fact animal agriculture is the main cause of global warming, the reason the Amazon is being torn down

There's a fair few reasons that deforestation is happening in the Amazon, not just because of animal agriculture, like the increasing production of soybean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

Duggy747 wrote: »
    There's a fair few reasons that deforestation is happening in the Amazon, not just because of animal agriculture, like the increasing production of soybean

Animal agriculture is the main one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Will they **** off messing with Guinness I love it the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

How do you know when a poster is vegan?

They tell us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Well said... Watch Cowspiracy people, interesting viewing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

It always amuses me to see vegans drink Coke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

MadsL wrote: »
    How do you know when a poster is vegan?

They tell us.
    Didn't see it on this thread myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Links234 wrote: »
    Founders Porter is one of the nicest ones out there, it's like drinking dark chocolate, it's so rich.

Can't stand Dark chocolate. I love my Guiness though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Eutow wrote: »
    Guinness Foreign Extra Stout is probably closer to the original receipe. I prefer it to the draft / can version.

Is that the Nigerian one that's strong as hell? I think there's another kind of foreign extra that's more mellow but that Foreign Extra Stout reigns supreme. So boozy tasting.

Whatever about taking out the fish guts, the worst thing they've done to Guinness to date has to be that "Guinness Ice" on tap or whatever it was called.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

RWCNT wrote: »

Whatever about taking out the fish guts, the worst thing they've done to Guinness to date has to be that "Guinness Ice" on tap or whatever it was called.

I think the Guinness Ice thing is just a fad to get more people trying it.

About 20 years ago a guy told me that he only ordered the bottles of Guinness in pub's as 'they ruined' the flavour when they chilled it. Porter should be drunk at room temperature apparently.
    Real ale drinker's hate cold beer also for that reason. The worse the flavour, the colder it should be...!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Azalea wrote: »
    Didn't see it on this thread myself.

They're easy to spot, they reek of 'holier than thou'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Digitalmission

No Isinglass is good news!

The main causes of global warming are immigrants and Conradh na Gaeilge.

FACT. END OFF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Dawn Rider wrote: »
    I think the Guinness Ice thing is just a fad to get more people trying it.

About 20 years ago a guy told me that he only ordered the bottles of Guinness in pub's as 'they ruined' the flavour when they chilled it. Porter should be drunk at room temperature apparently.
    Real ale drinker's hate cold beer also for that reason. The worse the flavour, the colder it should be...!

I remember my father giving out to me for putting cans of Guinness in the fridge, has to be room temp for him or he won't drink it.

Advertisement