Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Military Photo Thread (Discussion)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

whydave wrote: »
    800xw.jpg

All I could think when I saw this was "Oh sh!t, was I supposed to drive??"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Does anyone know - taken from this post - why that guy is doing what he's doing?

pzh2000oldschool.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

A reasonable guess is that he's firing the artillery piece from a distance to reduce the concussion effects. Square of the distance and all that.

Question for NTM... The "public" reason for not sending tanks to Afghanistan until now (apart from the Danes) was that a) the terrain is wrong and that b) they weren't needed. Since command obviously think they're needed now, do you think it was more to do with public perceptions of the campaign or that the tanks were all in Iraq?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

reasonable guess is that he's firing the artillery piece from a distance to reduce the concussion effects. Square of the distance and all that.

He'll actually receive a lot less concussion inside the vehicle. (Same happens with tanks).

Real reason is it's a test fire, and you don't want to be inside the vehicle in the event that something goes wrong. Breeches rattling around inside the vehicle tend to be rather destructive.
    e "public" reason for not sending tanks to Afghanistan until now (apart from the Danes) was that a) the terrain is wrong and that b) they weren't needed. Since command obviously think they're needed now, do you think it was more to do with public perceptions of the campaign or that the tanks were all in Iraq?

Much of the terrain in the American sector, such as where I was, is indeed highly unsuitable for MBTs. In the last year or so, the US has moved to have a greater presence in the flatter SouthWest, which is definitely better tank country (and in which the Canadians and Danes have been using their tanks).

We've figured it'd just be a matter of time before some get sent after the US moved to Helmland and Zabul. Surprised it took this long, but it certainly wasn't for a lack of tanks, the US has plenty of them.

NTM

We've figured it'd just be a matter of time before some [tanks] get sent after the US moved to Helmland and Zabul. Surprised it took this long, but it certainly wasn't for a lack of tanks, the US has plenty of them.
    NTM

Thanks for that, & sorry I forgot the Canadians earlier. I'm also sorry to see the USMC having just as hard a time of it in Sangin as the British did. I read some accounts from the Royal Marines yesterday (on the Guardian website, iirc), they were saying how hard their tour was. Basically the whole area is an unofficial minefield. Progress there is very slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

OzCam wrote: »
    Thanks for that, & sorry I forgot the Canadians earlier. I'm also sorry to see the USMC having just as hard a time of it in Sangin as the British did. I read some accounts from the Royal Marines yesterday (on the Guardian website, iirc), they were saying how hard their tour was. Basically the whole area is an unofficial minefield. Progress there is very slow.

Just finished reading 3rd para and ground truth ( got them for my birthday but only just read them)

Puding wrote: »
    Just finished reading 3rd para and ground truth ( got them for my birthday but only just read them)

3 Para was an interesting read alright. I have Lone Survivor sitting beside my bed. Not heard of Ground Truth though, and there's another book I'm keen to seek out called something like "A day in the life of an airborne ranger" or some such which is an account from a tour in Afghanistan by - if I recall - a Canadian serving in the US forces.

Ground truth is the follow up to 3rd para

I have the last discworld novel to get though then I might take a look at 'the road up' ( think that was the name, somone recommended it to me )

whydave wrote: »
    ratsy.jpg
    A baby giant African pouch rat is rewarded with a banana by its trainer after accurately finding a dummy mine during a training exercise at the grounds of a pioneering Belgian NGO in Morogoro, Tanzania on October 27, 2010. Light, with an acute sense of smell and easily motivated by food rewards, these kind of rats have been found to be highly effective in mine detection. It takes two human deminers a day to clear a 200 square-metre (2,150 square-feet) minefield, but if they work with two rats they can sweep it in 1.5 hours. So far they have helped re-open almost two million square metres of land

know that is clever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭McGilla

Hi lads,

Just wanted to say big thanks to the lads for posting quality photos everyday. I thoroughly enjoy looking at them.

I just wanted to make sure they know its appreciated.

Thanks and keep up the good work,

Robbie

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Paddy The Pirate

Can i ask, how do i post a picture that i dont ahve on the internet? Like, one that i have saved in 'my pictures'?

Can i ask, how do i post a picture that i dont ahve on the internet? Like, one that i have saved in 'my pictures'?

you'll need to host it somewhere and then link to it

Oh,, okay, thanks ,but how do i do that? Sorry I'm not that great at all this stuff :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

Upload the picture to a hosting site like Flickr, Photobucket, or the one I used to use; Imageshack. You then just copy the URL and put it in the IMG brackets [img.]URL HERE[/img.] (Just remember the '.' in the brackets)

Brilliant, I'll try that, thank you :)

• Advertisement

MindPhuck wrote: »
    3-Vietnam-Huey-Choppers.jpg

I have that picture at home. I suspect it's ARVN troops on account that not almost none of them (or any that I can tell) have mitchell leaf helmet covers; which is something that vietnamese troops tended not to have issued to them.
    1266297575277.jpg

and if I'm not mistaken; that photo was taken from atop the US embassy during the final days of the Vietnam war in 1975; Huey's on top of the embassy airlifted people out whilst thet last remaining troops in the embassy used gas masks and tear-gas to hold the upper floors of the embassy when the walls were overrun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Those mine sniffing rats are bloody well darn right funky and cool. When I saw the pic I went googling and was fascinated by the concept. (I'm not being funny or sarcastic, I actually do think that is neat)

~B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Lemming wrote: »
    I have that picture at home. I suspect it's ARVN troops on account that not almost none of them (or any that I can tell) have mitchell leaf helmet covers; which is something that vietnamese troops tended not to have issued to them.

and if I'm not mistaken; that photo was taken from atop the US embassy during the final days of the Vietnam war in 1975; Huey's on top of the embassy airlifted people out whilst thet last remaining troops in the embassy used gas masks and tear-gas to hold the upper floors of the embassy when the walls were overrun.

cool!! wasnt clued into the story of the pix, they just look excellent and tell a 1000 stories. thanks for that.

MindPhuck wrote: »
    cool!! wasnt clued into the story of the pix, they just look excellent and tell a 1000 stories. thanks for that.

Being lazy; have a read of the Wiki entry on the events leading up to and including Operation Frequent Wind.

And a couple of the many, many bits of video footage and interviews you can find;

Two of the worst ergonomically designed tanks ever made... T-54 and T-62. (T-55 is sortof OK)

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭munster_mafia

Mindphuck are the pics from prague?

Almost certainly. The only other likely possibility would be Budapest, but the T-62 rules that out.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,638 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Side mounted Eotech..that's how you do it:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭JonnyTwoCombs

Blay wrote: »
    Side mounted Eotech..that's how you do it:pac:

I knew someone would get there before me.

Why you'd mount a sight like that is beyond me........the mind boggles :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Beez

I knew someone would get there before me.

Why you'd mount a sight like that is beyond me........the mind boggles :eek:

It looks like he has a scope on top so the side mount is for close quarters.

Plus with the slick hair id say he loves his tacticool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Beez wrote: »
    It looks like he has a scope on top so the side mount is for close quarters.

Plus with the slick hair id say he loves his tacticool.
    It does make sense from that perspective. I was just thinking it means the firing position is quite high, and I presume that the eotech is pretty far forward which reduces the field of view when using it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭whydave

Looks like Irish DPM to me !
    5220209964ca46dab65eb.jpg
    Afghanistan, Nov. 26, 2010.

Non, mon ami, je pense qu'il ressemble français.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

Wot Ozcam said. Note SMG on deck beside rifle. An MP5 maybe ???

Yes, the grip looks like an MP5, but the mag looks like a G36 one. Hmmm. Anyone ID the rifle? It looks very modern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

G36 with teh noob toob lulz

Ahem sorry, it does appear to be a Heckler & Koch G36 with a AG36 mounted on it.

So it is. The AG36 had me confused.

a few pictures about of French forces with g36 line floating around, but defiantly a French unit i would say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭mafo

The rifle on the picture is the French PGM Ultima Ratio Commando

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Mindphuck are the pics from prague?
    sorry I missed this - the pics are from Moscow as far as i know.

covered by warranty !!
    Lit-Up-Humvee.jpg

As Manic Moran would say, not-a-tank. :) But for something that was originally designed for non-combat utility transport, one tough bastard.

Question: what's with all the backpacks? I thought most patrols these days used vehicles as primary transport, and the footsoldiers operate from and around them. There's lots of places, like compounds and narrow streets that the vehicles don't go, but are the grunts carrying overnight stuff? or is it mainly food, water & batteries?

I'd say it'd mostly be food, water and ammo that they'd be carrying.

OzCam wrote: »
    As Manic Moran would say, not-a-tank. :) But for something that was originally designed for non-combat utility transport, one tough bastard.

Question: what's with all the backpacks? I thought most patrols these days used vehicles as primary transport, and the footsoldiers operate from and around them. There's lots of places, like compounds and narrow streets that the vehicles don't go, but are the grunts carrying overnight stuff? or is it mainly food, water & batteries?

i would imagine vehicles are not always possible depending on terrain and at times it appears safer to operate on foot

at that point infantry will do as infantry have always done and carry the gear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevinhalvey

this probobly isnt the right section but can any body tell me what the current side arm (pistol) is of russia and is it a glock 17 ?? or a contraption of their own :P

the Makarov is commonly seen as the Russian sidearm although it depends a lot on if its internal or army forces or even from unit to unit, the glock 17 has been seen a little bit more with elite units like alpha unclear if these are unit purchases ( has been recent articles about Russian authority going abroad to purchase as internal manufacturers are not producing what they need ) or they could be acquisitions from the last conflict with Georgia, they captured a lot of modern western equipment during the conflict

they captured a lot of modern western equipment during the conflict

Found modern western equipment during the game !!!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Tommyboy71

76d5c85d.jpg

Thats the best idea in all of those pics. Guard the fire.

82838188.jpg
    Lads what's that bolted to the G-3 ?

DIY night vision mount? You have two bolts at the top which could be holding on a ris rail, would be the right place for mounting one in front of the scope

could be wrong , but can not think of much else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

this probobly isnt the right section but can any body tell me what the current side arm (pistol) is of russia and is it a glock 17 ?? or a contraption of their own :P

As far as I know the MP-446, a 9mm pistol with a 17 round capacity is starting to filter it's way into the main stream forces.

I didn't even know about the pistol until I played SC: Conviction.:o

DIY night vision mount? You have two bolts at the top which could be holding on a ris rail, would be the right place for mounting one in front of the scope

could be wrong , but can not think of much else
    I **think** its a heat deflector, it's on a lot of the British L96s, to stop heat waves from messing up the view from the optic.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭RNO

mafo wrote: »
    The rifle on the picture is the French PGM Ultima Ratio Commando

Yes, but I dont think this soldier is French, slovenian may be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Dave did one of the italian soldiers have a styer in the back of the ch47 pic

Bad dreams !!!
    9517_DSC_8263.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement