Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Military Photo Thread (Discussion)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Me thinks I am gonna go join the Estonian Army

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Ah I just think they look ridiculus...and with today improvments in composite materials I dont see why they would use something that looks outta date. :) Anyways I think we both agree they look funky ? (and would look better without them ;) )

Shot Timers do what they say on the tin ?

your asking the wrong person :) i have a soft spot for the soft jump helmets and tanker helmets :P

swiftblade wrote: »
    Maybe you should tell one of the worlds biggest militaries (Russia) they look funky :p .Cheaper to mass produce too i suspect.

Actualy does Russia still use them? Im looking at you Puding ;)

still used

july201045gpvdvdsc3098.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

Anyone know what type of upper receiver this is ?
    328939.jpg

The upper receiver looks standard just painted, I take it your talking about the front rail system?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Puding wrote: »
    The upper receiver looks standard just painted, I take it your talking about the front rail system?

I don't know, it might be a new receiver, probably with a free-float barrel. Note the lack of gas plug and frontsight, taking that off the standard issue M4 is a bit of work. Not impossible, but replacing the receiver is easier. Wonder if it's a 416 conversion of some sort?

Not having any luck finding the odd quadrail offhand.

NTM

Will have to go with you on that one as I'm trying to view it on a iPhone so quality is not the best

It is a bit of an odd one , it is not exactly just a cosmetic addob, as you say it is fundamentaly changing the front end , hardly looks like a test bed looks like a comercial private buy, but I did not believe you could get away with swapping that much out

Will have to go with you on that one as I'm trying to view it on a iPhone so quality is not the best

It is a bit of an odd one , it is not exactly just a cosmetic addob, as you say it is fundamentaly changing the front end , hardly looks like a test bed looks like a comercial private buy, but I did not believe you could get away with swapping that much out

You can't, unless there's an MWO from TACOM authorising it. Occasionally commanders will look the other way (though I don't know any who would authorise a complete upper replacement, I certainly didn't), but if it's not an authorised mod through the system, someone at TACOM is going to be making a few 'phone calls now that this picture is in public distribution. The thing about looking the other way is you don't want to call attention to it.

Could have been a hand-down from a test from Special Forces: Logistics units are never on the sharp end of new equipment fielding, and a hand-me-down used M4/416 would probably still be preferable to the full length M16s which are still in service. That would be in the Army system, would account for the paint job, and the change.

I'll see what I can find out on other sites.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

That front end and upper look very similar to the LWRC M6 gas piston drop in kits for the AR15 platform.

http://www.lwrci.com/p-4-m6a2.aspx

would be interesting to know just for curiosity more than anything else :)

i do not think its hk416 based, you don;t have that step up from the receiver to the top rail as you get on the 416 that i can remember

• Advertisement

That front end and upper look very similar to the LWRC M6 gas piston drop in kits for the AR15 platform.

http://www.lwrci.com/p-4-m6a2.aspx

similar but the one form the photo looks a lot larger and does not appear to be CNCed from one lump, it looks like a tube with the rails attached after-woods, but that could just be me, the diameter seems very large

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

similar but the one form the photo looks a lot larger and does not appear to be CNCed from one lump, it looks like a tube with the rails attached afterwoods

Yeah it's different alright. The un-ID'd one above has more vent holes in the handguard than the LWRC models.

This is the closest I could find to it.
    http://www.lwrci.com/p-105-556-psd-upper.aspx

The only other guesses off the top of my head would be that it is a LaRue or LMT settup, they would be the main mil-spec aftermarket manufactures I believe after KAC of course.

Think I got it. The fore end is made by YHM. With the fore end and upper the same colour it looks like a drop in kit, weather it's a gas piston setup or not is not clear, but considering it's an complete upper change out I'd say it is a gas piston setup of some kind.
    http://yankeehillmachine.com/store/product439.html

Are the Magpul FDE PMAGs Magazines general issue in the US Army ?

dfsfsdfk.jpg

whydave wrote: »
    Are the Magpul FDE PMAGs Magazines general issue in the US Army ?

dfsfsdfk.jpg

i do not believe there issues but there on the approved list for individuals to buy, i was also reading some where that units are starting to pick them up as they have been authorized thought official logistics channels, think it was a marine unit i was reading about, will try and dig up the article if i can

i would imagine Manic Moran would be able to give some information

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Pmags are now on issue in Afghanistan for certain units, IIRC the USMC is going for them in a big way. They seem to be more reliable in those conditions and a lot tougher.

And as for patrolling "off track" what the hell do they think the British, and others, were doing for the last several years?

OzCam wrote: »
    The photo above happens to be Air Force (and Afghan Army)

Pmags are now on issue in Afghanistan for certain units, IIRC the USMC is going for them in a big way. They seem to be more reliable in the those conditions and a lot tougher.

was marines in the article i remember reading, and i found the article in the end http://soldiersystems.net/2010/04/13/marines-and-the-pmag/ :)
    Marines and the PMAG

Holy Schnookies! A Marine Using a PMAG. How Can This Be? - Photo Lance Corporal Tommy Bellegarde USMC

Last fall we published a story on why Marines don’t have the PMAG but it’s about time that we update it. Two models of PMAGs actually do have National Stock Numbers (PMAG 30 Black Window: 1005-01-576-5164 and PMAG 30 Black Non-Window: 1005-01-576-5159). What’s more, the Marine Corps is the only authorized user of these restricted NSNs and has requisitioned them from the Defense Logistics Agency by the thousands, over and over. In fact, there is a procurement of 10,000 PMAGs on the DLA Internet Bid Board System (DIBBS) right now. Not only have we seen documentation attesting to this fact but we have also dug up a few photos from the Department of Defense’s own imagery server as further proof. Despite assertions to the contrary, Marines are using PMAGs, and to great effect.

Looks like their PMAGs fit in their USMC issue ammo pouches. - Photo by Lance Corporal Tommy Bellegarde

Plenty of Army troops are using PMAGs as well, whether issued by the unit or privately purchased. Thus far the Army has fielded 600,000 of a planned 7.7 Million of the new tan follower aluminum magazines and some Soldiers are using the PMAG as an alternative. COL Tamilio, Program Manager for Soldier Weapons recently stated that his office would be publishing a list of approved commercial magazines for use by Soldiers but there is no word on what is expected to be on that list.

We use PMAGs here at SSD. When there was a run on magazines right around the election of 2008, we spent our money on PMAGs. They are affordable and reliable for our use. However, magazines are expendable and should be inspected and maintained regularly and replaced when needed.

www.magpul.com

We had quite a number of people who had made personal PMAG purchases. I went with Lancers (See photo in post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68418081&postcount=72) but did bring two PMAGs along which had come as freebies with one of my rifles. In 2005 I had purchased a number of British steel mags instead of the aluminium ones. Definitely heavier, but better reputation.

Legally speaking, personally owned magazines are the 'dodgiest' of the common weapons mods. However, they're a little less critical as if one fails, well, you've got at least another six of 'em. I've never heard of anyone called up for using a personal magazine.

I have not seen the 'list of authorised commercial magazines' referenced.

NTM

I have not seen the 'list of authorised commercial magazines' referenced.

NTM

well that what you get from reading airsoft forums at time, hard to separate the wheat from the chaf as they say :)

It may exist, I just haven't seen nor heard of it. A quick search on the PEO Soldier site and general Googling doesn't turn it up either.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

Do Russian conscripts have to get their own camo? I've seen various pictures of Russian's wearing all sorts, especially this one. If of course they are russian, it's just me generalising by the weapons and the signature on the picture.
    06.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

This question was raised on another forum a while ago. The answer, from a Russian, is that you wear what you're issued. What you get depends on what's in the stores at the time. That's true of all armies but the Russian one just happens to have a million ;) different patterns.

The Russian army is transitioning to a new digital pattern (Puding can point you to 100s of pics). I don't think it's great, too little contrast, but at some future date they'll at least all be wearing the same gear in the same unit. They're very reluctant to throw out old stuff that still works, especially if it's good enough for training.

Dress and ceremonial uniforms are top notch. The videos on YouTube of the changing of the guard on Lenin's Tomb or the Grave of the Unknown Soldier are well worth a look.

the picture is of omon which is for a better term kinda like a swat unit but with far more powers and can be deployed to combat ( yes it yets complicated and messy with internal and external forces :) )

there actually remarkably consistent, apart from one or two bits of camo with all wearing swome form of gorka ( mountain suit ) on paper these should all be the same the issue is there made by about 4 or 5 different company each with a slightly different design the colour i would imagine is more down to age and fading, the guy in the front looks like regular army i would imagine an instructor in this case ( 8 out of 9 in gorka suits with one army instructor )

the regular army and in particular any conscripts are likely to the be the most consistently dressed with simple flora and simple webbing across the board

and this is where the differences start to become clear, in Russia you have the internal and external, internal ranges from swat like units in citys to militia esk units for regional areas, there role is wide and there history is messy. Think of every city , state and agency like the fbi in the US having its own personal army and your going in the right direction ( if you look at different swat units in the US you can see the diversely in equipment with them as well )

Know as there run by each city state or agency each one is equipped differently, the individual members also have more freedom to buy there own equipment and you also have examples of company's sponsoring ( for lack of a better work ) units, with each company wanting there gear being used by the best units

external is what we would see as the conventional army with this you have more consistency, with flora across the board in most cases and digi flora starting to be rolled out, but you run into some of the same issues as the internal forces with 4 or 5 company's supplying gear each with a slightly different design, also units will be issues unique gear depending on deployments, but same issue, a unit can be issues partizan based gorka suits on 3 occasions and each time get a different design as it comes from a different company

sorry the post is a little all over the place, will try and post some pics and maybe re write it when i get back from work :)

gorka ( mountain suit )
    Were can you get these ?
    David

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

50928331097ab792c5e3b.jpg
    5092833507e6fafde787b.jpg

Why is there a guy running around in DDPM and equipped with an AKM (long sickle-shaped mag - way longer than a STANAG; woooden furniture foregrip) running around with a US army unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Were can you get these ?
    David

Here, comerade Dave; Soviet Propoganda

as lemming said soviet propoganda is very good, link to the gorka suits http://www.soviet-propaganda.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_24

i've also found http://www.equipcenter.ru/en/category/odezhda/ to be very good with some nice prices, although they only use moneybooker or bank to bank for payment which puts a few people off

Lemming wrote: »
    Why is there a guy running around in DDPM and equipped with an AKM (long sickle-shaped mag - way longer than a STANAG; woooden furniture foregrip) running around with a US army unit?

more than likely a local from a police unit or ana? i know military units do not have the power of arrest so they will normally have an attached local for that purpose well its that way with the UK forces i've seen anyway

My guess is the same reason there was a guy (me) in American ACU equipped with an M4 running around with a French Army unit. If you've got the opportunity, jump on it.

d278fb0a2f5b59aef057436ec5c8_grande.jpg

200327546_fa9c82b782_o.jpg

They also use temperate DPM.

Aspect_din_timpul_vizitei_la_Batalionul_22_VM.sized.jpg

Zabul is Romanian territory, they basically run FOB Laghman, which is the largest base in Qalat. Not a bad base, has a coffee shop, but gets very muddy in bad weather. Not many hardstand buildings.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Look like security contractors more than anything ,DDPM and no miliary ranks or unit badges

• Advertisement

The Chinook in question was Bravo November. The only aircraft I'm aware of to have a monument built to it, still making the news.
    Gatling wrote: »
    Look like security contractors more than anything ,DDPM and no miliary ranks or unit badges

Well, I guess the Romanians didn't put 'place for rank sliders' high on their list of requirements for DDPM armour. And lots of countries don't wear unit insignia on their combats, Ireland comes to mind.

NTM

Advertisement