Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xiaomi Mi Max 2 - 5300Mah, 6.4"Phablet - 199 eur delivered

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

maximo31 wrote: »
    Is there any smaller size phones of this make that i could buy?
    Don't want a massive phone.
    Redmi Note 4 is very similar spec with 5.5" screen rather than 6.44"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

maximo31 wrote:
    Is there any smaller size phones of this make that i could buy? Don't want a massive phone.

Best with the Xiaomi A1. Stock android, same processor as the mi max, 4GB RAM and 64GB storage, expandable with micro SD and a 5.5" display. 200euro delivered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

tedpan wrote: »
    Best with the Xiaomi A1. Stock android, same processor as the mi max, 4GB RAM and 64GB storage, expandable with micro SD and a 5.5" display. 200euro delivered

Link please or anyone know a place where you can buy A1/4X from EU/UK warehouse to avoid import tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭maximo31

Discodog wrote: »
    Just to remind anyone about to order that the official Xiaomi Spain site opens in two days.
    Is this option available yet? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Its not listed on their main webpage yet.

They will probably announce it https://twitter.com/Espana_Xiaomi or https://twitter.com/Xiaomi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭jamesd

http://event.mi.com/es/live2017/changethegame

Xiaomi will initially sell its flagship Mi A1 smartphones, priced at 229 euros ($265.85) in Spain from Wednesday as well as internet-connected products including scooters, air purifiers and coffee makers.

Reference:
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-xiaomi-spain/chinas-xiaomi-seeks-to-reignite-global-push-with-spain-launch-idUSKBN1D719K?il=0

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭BlackMask93

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/7/16610720/xiaomi-spain-mi-mix-2-launch-europe-android-business

"In Spain, Xiaomi’s online presence will be substantial. Opening sales tomorrow, November 8th"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

Sorry thought is was official.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Be wary - That is not an official site. It says so in the contact page:

https://xiaomi-mi.es/home/contact-details/
    This website is set up and operated by NIS LLC. for the benefit of the Mi Fan Community. NIS LLC. hereby states that this website is dedicated, but not related to Xiaomi Inc. or any of its affiliated entity to sell products of Xiaomi Inc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

Had a quick flick through the video but unsure if its just the mi mix and mi a1 that there selling no note 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Where are people getting there extra USB3 cables from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭PreCocious

cronos wrote: »
    Where are people getting there extra USB3 cables from?

Banggood , Gearbest, Tinydeal etc. One thing you should do is buy a few micro-usb > usb-c tips - they're dirt cheap and convert a micro-usb tipped cable into one suitable for the Mi Max. Some cables come with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

PreCocious wrote: »
    Banggood , Gearbest, Tinydeal etc. One thing you should do is buy a few micro-usb > usb-c tips - they're dirt cheap and convert a micro-usb tipped cable into one suitable for the Mi Max. Some cables come with them.

I guess I was hoping for some specific ones that people had tested. Sometimes buying cheap electricals from China can be dangerous. I trust the phone itself though.

Do those usb-c tips still allow fast charging I wonder.

cronos wrote: »
    I guess I was hoping for some specific ones that people had tested. Sometimes buying cheap electricals from China can be dangerous. I trust the phone itself though.

Do those usb-c tips still allow fast charging I wonder.

I've used Baseus, Blitzwolf, Xiaomi cables as well as no-name ones. All work fine though the extra long ones do lose current along the way.

Banggood have ones around 6inches long that fold into a yoke with a split ring - useful for leaving in bags etc.

Edit: https://m.banggood.com/Type-C-to-USB-2_0-Fast-Charging-0_2m0_66ft-Sync-Data-Cable-Keychain-Key-Ring-p-1117736.html

The tips don't seem to have a major impact but of course it depends on the main cable and charger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

One month since getting this phone, I have to say it's absolutely incredible. Cant fault it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭SOPHIE THE DOG

Will the HK Warehouse version of this phone work OK in Ireland or do I need the Global version?
    What's the difference in plain English (that a hound can understand)?

One month since getting this phone, I have to say it's absolutely incredible. Cant fault it!

Nice one! It is a beast in every way, happy you're impressed with it!

Will the HK Warehouse version of this phone work OK in Ireland or do I need the Global version? What's the difference in plain English (that a hound can understand)?

Wow, it's down to 189euro now!

Anyway, the international version seems to be the same as the global option from gearbest. There has been some discussion within the thread on this already.

Both have the following..

Google play
    OTA software updates
    Same network bands
    Same internal and external specifications

Unsure if anyone else can confirm any difference, some have purchased the international version and it has a global label once received. Gearbest and other sites have stated that they're the same unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kyleboy

Wow, it's down to 189euro now!

Anyway, the international version seems to be the same as the global option from gearbest. There has been some discussion within the thread on this already.

Both have the following..

Google play
    OTA software updates
    Same network bands
    Same internal and external specifications

Unsure if anyone else can confirm any difference, some have purchased the international version and it has a global label once received. Gearbest and other sites have stated that they're the same unit.

Hi, could you tell me were it's for sale for 189 euros please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,678 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Kyleboy wrote: »
    Hi, could you tell me were it's for sale for 189 euros please?

Link was already given in first post
    https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_646141.html?wid=4&utm_source=linkshare&utm_medium=linkshare&utm_campaign=linkshare&siteID=TnL5HPStwNw-UYBEWNd5n2Da.NGm7thwOw

Thats a monster sized phone, anyone recommend similar spec for around the sameish price but 5.5"?

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    Link was already given in first post
    https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_646141.html?wid=4&utm_source=linkshare&utm_medium=linkshare&utm_campaign=linkshare&siteID=TnL5HPStwNw-UYBEWNd5n2Da.NGm7thwOw

Thats a monster sized phone, anyone recommend similar spec for around the sameish price but 5.5"?

Redmi Note 4 or Mi A1

Redmi Note 4 or Mi A1

Thanks for that, nice phone and specs on the Remi, but think I might be better off waiting for the 5 model at this stage..can't decide about the A1 with the price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Anyone have issues with the shipping on this?Just got this message about an order placed for the  Xiaomi Mi Max 2 4G Phablet.

Dear xxxxxxxx, 
    We wish to apologize for any inconvenience.
    We apologize for not shipping out the order to you yet. Due to the item’s status with Customs, 
    I regret to inform you that the item cannot be shipped via Priority Direct Mail.
    However, we are able to send the order to you via regular post and DHL. With regular mail, it needs about 25 business days to reach you.

With  DHL(3-7 business days), if there is any price difference, we will either ask you to pay it or we will refund the balance if any.
    If you choose DHL shipping method, please note that there may have custom fee occurred. But this shipping just takes 3-7 business days to reach to you after we shipped the items out.

Would  you  want to  ship  your  order via  regular  mail or  DHL ?

If we have not got a reply from you for 3 business days, we could change the available shipping method, so that we may send out your order without further delay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭corks finest

Dpd, mine came eventually, no customs, great phone, would never buy again via gear best, disaster, no tracking, no updates, no customer care answers etc, basically a crap service

Dpd, mine came eventually, no customs, great phone, would never buy again via gear best, disaster, no tracking, no updates, no customer care answers etc, basically a crap service

If it's expensive then I think geekbuying and a shipment from their EU warehouses is best. I've used this recently for Xiaomi phones.

My gripe with gearbest is that I paid for DHL (expecting customs but also rapid delivery) but it took over two weeks before DHL received the item.

So use them for pocket money items.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mono_mac

171 now

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Shazamm

I'm looking for a similar spec xiaomi phone but not the large one. What other model would compare to this with a large battery capacity?

And is it the International model we need?

What do people think of this one
    https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_708424.html?wid=11

Can't find a bad review about it - on the verge of buying it

fritzelly wrote: »
    What do people think of this one
    https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_708424.html?wid=11

Can't find a bad review about it - on the verge of buying it
    Elephone not great build quality - wouldn't go for it tbh

A friend of mine got one for this other half, the casing started to come apart after a few months use

• Advertisement

A friend of mine got one for this other half, the casing started to come apart after a few months use

Ahhh crap, was getting all excited about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Is it ok to buy the HK warehouse version of this, what's the difference, the price is unreal?

January wrote:
    Is it ok to buy the HK warehouse version of this, what's the difference, the price is unreal?

Yep, the HK warehouse is fine, it's the international/global version, no difference.

Have a read through the thread, I think the majority of people are very impressed.

Keep in mind, the screen is huge, unreal performance, super two day battery. It doesn't have LTE band 20 though, so you may not be able to get 4G in rural areas.

Think I might buy another one at this price!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

What's the best shipping option? Will I get caught for customs if I go through the expedited shipping?

January wrote:
    What's the best shipping option? Will I get caught for customs if I go through the expedited shipping?

I always choose Ireland express with gearbest, haven't been hit with customs in at least 15 orders. There's always a risk though..

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭N.96

Has anyone else managed to get the coupons to work?

https://www.gearbest.com/m-promotion-active-380.html

No luck here

N.96 wrote:
    Has anyone else managed to get the coupons to work?

N.96 wrote:
    No luck here

Only certain products. There's no way you'd get any further discounts on the mi max or most offers that are significantly discounted already..

Only certain products. There's no way you'd get any further discounts on the mi max or most offers that are significantly discounted already..

Was worth a shot anyway I guess :P

• Advertisement

Off topic I guess what is the consensus of the G5S plus?

Just ordered the black GLOBAL version off GeekBuying from the HK warehouse.

For anyone who is currently looking to buy it cost 175.51 with the code GEEKBUY20 (incl. shipping insurance) and it's even cheaper for the gold version, approx 160.

Gold: https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Official-Global-ROM-Xiaomi-Mi-Max2-4GB-64GB-Smartphone---Gold-382038.html
    Black: https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Official-Global-Version-Xiaomi-Mi-Max-2-4GB-64GB-Smartphone-Black-382247.html
    Discount Code: GEEKBUY20

I went with the slow shipping option which is said to be 15-30 working days.

To anyone who has ordered off GeekBuying in the past... Am I being too optimistic hoping to have it before Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kyleboy

N.96 wrote: »
    Just ordered the black GLOBAL version off GeekBuying from the HK warehouse.

For anyone who is currently looking to buy it cost 175.51 with the code GEEKBUY20 (incl. shipping insurance) and it's even cheaper for the gold version, approx 160.

Gold: https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Official-Global-ROM-Xiaomi-Mi-Max2-4GB-64GB-Smartphone---Gold-382038.html
    Black: https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Official-Global-Version-Xiaomi-Mi-Max-2-4GB-64GB-Smartphone-Black-382247.html
    Discount Code: GEEKBUY20

I went with the slow shipping option which is said to be 15-30 working days.

To anyone who has ordered off GeekBuying in the past... Am I being too optimistic hoping to have it before Christmas?
    I have ordered this about 10 days ago, still waiting on it to be shipped, think it's doubtful we will have them before Christmas.

Kyleboy wrote: »
    I have ordered this about 10 days ago, still waiting on it to be shipped, think it's doubtful we will have them before Christmas.

So much for the 2-7 days processing time :(

I used eu express. Will it be hit with customs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 mankydogg

Looks to be great phone and really want to get one. The band 20 issues are my big concern though. I am on vodafone. Is band 20 used as much as band 3? I checked with LTE discovery app and it is using band 3 in my area.

• Advertisement

mankydogg wrote: »
    Looks to be great phone and really want to get one. The band 20 issues are my big concern though. I am on vodafone. Is band 20 used as much as band 3? I checked with LTE discovery app and it is using band 3 in my area.

Depends if you spend a lot of time in rural areas, if so then not good news

mankydogg wrote: »
    I was worried also but don't notice it. I'm mostly between Dundalk and Dublin

mono_mac wrote:
    I used eu express. Will it be hit with customs

Anyone able to answer this :D I'm in monaghan

mono_mac wrote:
    Anyone able to answer this I'm in monaghan

There's no way of telling, it's up to customs! :) I'd say there's a very small chance. You should be ok

tedpan wrote:
    There's no way of telling, it's up to customs! I'd say there's a very small chance. You should be ok

Cheers thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement