Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xiaomi Mi Max 2 - 5300Mah, 6.4"Phablet - 199 eur delivered

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭corks finest

Now 224 dollars geek buying, official global rom,,sorry no direct link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Have a look on Ali Express and see if Hongkong Goldway are selling it. They usually sell Xiaomi phones and dont get hit with customs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

GBX wrote:
    Have a look on Ali Express and see if Hongkong Goldway are selling it. They usually sell Xiaomi phones and dont get hit with customs.

Yeah, as I said, I've had about 15 orders with gearbest and never been hit with customs.

One order with banggood and was hit with an additional 30eur on a 100eur item. Mainly made up of the an post processing fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

Maybe someone who got the mi max 2 can enlighten us ref charges,my calculations make it around E46 on a e200 phone,hope I'm wrong and it's less

Its 23% + €10 handling charge,so thats about €50 euro on a €200 phone

wiz569 wrote: »
    Maybe someone who got the mi max 2 can enlighten us ref charges,my calculations make it around E46 on a e200 phone,hope I'm wrong and it's less

Its 23% + €10 handling charge,so thats about €50 euro on a €200 phone
    Not too bad considering what you get for e200/e250

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

Not too bad considering what you get for e200/e250

Once you allow for it in your initial budget its OK ,although I do disagree with the handling charge part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

I have this phone and its great! One word of advice though is that if you use an android wear device maybe this isnt the phone for you... The connectivity between MIUI and AW devices is a nightmare (widely documented online so might be worth a read if it applies to you)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Can anyone recommend a good cover and screen protector for this phone? Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭PreCocious

I ordered this one
    https://m.gearbest.com/cases-leather/pp_691497.html

It has a kickstand which I wanted (though it's a bit fiddly to extend). Quality seems fine and it's not slippy. The phone hasn't arrived yet so I can't check the fit but the overall feel is that it's a decent case.

PreCocious wrote: »

I ordered this one

It has a kickstand which I wanted (though it's a bit fiddly to extend). Quality seems fine and it's not slippy. The phone hasn't arrived yet so I can't check the fit but the overall feel is that it's a decent case.
    Looks good

• Advertisement

I ordered this one

Looks good. On you tube there are several clips with recommended covers etc,I've a few ordered , waiting on phone,but they look the business.

I ordered this one

Looks good. On you tube there are several clips with recommended covers etc,I've a few ordered , waiting on phone,but they look the business.
    https://youtu.be/tUyU_u7maxs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

GBX wrote: »
    The following Xiaomi models support band 20:

* Redmi 3s Global - "land" firmware will support band 20 (2016031) Thanks @fredek
    * Redmi Note 3 Special edition - "kate" firmware will support band 20 (2015161)
    * Redmi Note 4(X) Global - "mido" firmware will support band 20. (2016102) Thanks @dogiex
    * Redmi 4x Global - ?Santoni? untested
    * Redmi 4a Global - "Rolex" firmware will support band 20. (2016116) Tested by myself
    * Mi note 2 Global - "Scorpio" firmware untested

I received a Redmi 4X global from Aliexpress yesterday, had $45 on the package but delivered straight to my door by An Post without any customs etc, looks a super piece of kit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭loopymum

slave1 wrote: »
    I received a Redmi 4X global from Aliexpress yesterday, had $45 on the package but delivered straight to my door by An Post without any customs etc, looks a super piece of kit

Whats the camera like?

loopymum wrote: »
    Whats the camera like?

Appears fine, I'm just going to set it up and put it away as it's a XMas pressie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Mine arrived today with no customs which was great. Thanks OP.

A couple of questions though:

1. Do people actually like MI UI? Has anyone removed it?

2. Can't seem to get my 64GB card in at the same time as my nano sim. Could someone help? Manual does not even mention external memory cards.

3. How do you set up more than one finger for fingerprint scanning?

cronos wrote:
    I like the miui, you could run nova launcher to give you a nicer feel.
    cronos wrote:
    2. Can't seem to get my 64GB card in at the same time as my nano sim. Could someone help? Manual does not even mention external memory cards.

Yeah, the SD card should go in the place of the 2nd SIM(micro SIM holder). I think the default is the nano SIM. Maybe you'll need to cut your SIM card down or get a new nano SIM from your network.

tedpan wrote: »
    Maybe you'll need to cut your SIM card down or get a new nano SIM from your network.

If you go into your phone providers shop they'll cut if for you with a special tool

If you go into your phone providers shop they'll cut if for you with a special tool

I actually already have a nano sim. It's in the nano sim slot on the phone and it's working perfectly.

However the problem is I can't seem to get the memory card to fit in the other slot, it's too small or I'm missing exactly where it should go. Can't work out which. FYI I'm not using the card adapter which in turn makes it way too big. I'm probably just missing something obvious about how to slot it in.

The card is:
    Toshiba Exceria Micro SD SDXC Memory Card UHS-1 U3 90MB/s with Full Size SD Card Adapter - 64GB

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

cronos wrote: »

1. I went back to the standard android "Google Now" launcher you van get from the ap store. You just download it, press the home button and pick google now and check the dont ask again box. This gives you back the app drawer which I was missing.

2. Think someone already answered this

3. Settings > Lock screen and password > Manage fingerprints

Take long to come? Waiting 17 days,no tracking update etc

12 working days is way too long without tracking. Have you contacted their support? Sometimes it can take up to 20 working days, but they should be able to tell you where it is.

Mine arrived yesterday - 1month after ordering and paying for DHL. Got hit for customs (as expected when using DHL) but it took three weeks from ordering before DHL even recognised the tracking number. It spent two weeks with a courier called 4PX. I had multiple queries early on about my address but the DHL label on the package use the address on my account and not the modifed address including eircode which I had to give them after they kept querying the address. I wonder whether they had stock at all.

Very happy so far with the phone. Looks and feels well. SIM card installation is fiddly if you want to also use a microsd card. The case I got (linked to above) does the job fine.

12 working days is way too long without tracking. Have you contacted their support? Sometimes it can take up to 20 working days, but they should be able to tell you where it is.

Yeah, contacted them here, messenger,and GB support night mare,no reply, just same crap from the 27 of last month,no shipping update, gearbest on boards are rubbish, contacted DPD Southall,where item is supposed to be ,not there, waiting they say, back to gearbest no reply,o will never,ever order via GB again,total crap customer care

• Advertisement

Mine arrived yesterday - 1month after ordering and paying for DHL. Got hit for customs (as expected when using DHL) but it took three weeks from ordering before DHL even recognised the tracking number. It spent two weeks with a courier called 4PX. I had multiple queries early on about my address but the DHL label on the package use the address on my account and not the modifed address including eircode which I had to give them after they kept querying the address. I wonder whether they had stock at all.

Very happy so far with the phone. Looks and feels well. SIM card installation is fiddly if you want to also use a microsd card. The case I got (linked to above) does the job fine.

How much did customs take e43/46?

How much did customs take e43/46?

Incl DHL fee it came to €62.22

Yikes!

Still a great phone for the price,have a redmi note 3 for yonks ,no problems , good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Mica087

Yeah, contacted them here, messenger,and GB support night mare,no reply, just same crap from the 27 of last month,no shipping update, gearbest on boards are rubbish, contacted DPD Southall,where item is supposed to be ,not there, waiting they say, back to gearbest no reply,o will never,ever order via GB again,total crap customer care

Any update on your order?
    I am in the same boat, item not in DPD Southall, no idea where it is!
    waiting to hear back from gearbest...:mad:

• Advertisement

Mica087 wrote: »

No bud, nothing, disaster,since the 27 the September

Gearbest customer care are non existent here on boards,as for support, emailed them 5 times, messenger messaged,etc,crap

Took over a month for mine to arrive. But it did come eventually. I never bothered to get tracking number or anything I just waited and hoped for the best.

Took over a month for mine to arrive. But it did come eventually. I never bothered to get tracking number or anything I just waited and hoped for the best.
    Tnx for information,I'm past 3 weeks,so hopefully the custom Nazis won't take it

Tnx for information,I'm past 3 weeks,so hopefully the custom Nazis won't take it

Mine was delivered to my office and I never had to pay customs. Or perhaps it was never passed along by reception. Not sure how it works, if they make you pay before handing over the phone.

Mine was delivered to my office and I never had to pay customs. Or perhaps it was never passed along by reception. Not sure how it works, if they make you pay before handing over the phone.
    Lucky duck,had to pay at the sorting office (locally) another Xiaomi phone

Lucky duck,had to pay at the sorting office (locally) another Xiaomi phone

Once I selected DHL I knew I'd be subjected to customs fees - that's the way it is and them's the rules. You're still getting a serious phone for much less than the guys on adverts are selling them for. My gripe is that it took 3 weeks before DHL had it in their hands - if I knew it would take a month I'd have gone for the slow boat from China option.

Great phone. With a Vodafone Sim in the No.2 slot I got 4G.

Once I selected DHL I knew I'd be subjected to customs fees - that's the way it is and them's the rules. You're still getting a serious phone for much less than the guys on adverts are selling them for. My gripe is that it took 3 weeks before DHL had it in their hands - if I knew it would take a month I'd have gone for the slow boat from China option.

Great phone. With a Vodafone Sim in the No.2 slot I got 4G.

Work out how to get a memory card in? Anyone could take a picture of how the small memory cards should fit in the slot that would be helpful.

FYI Mine was delivered by DHL and didn't get customs. So it much not be 100 percent or I just got lucky. When I got the DHL text I thought it was certain I was going to get hit.

Work out how to get a memory card in? Anyone could take a picture of how the small memory cards should fit in the slot that would be helpful.

FYI Mine was delivered by DHL and didn't get customs. So it much not be 100 percent or I just got lucky. When I got the DHL text I thought it was certain I was going to get hit.

From memory I went to the meteor store in Wilton,got a nano card thingy and guy cut the Sims edges to fit it. (redmi note 3)

This site https://www.gogi.in/xiaomi-mi-max-review.html has a picture of the sim tray.

The memory card is microsd and the slot for Sim2 (which is used if you've a memory card) uses a MICRO sim - I had a nano sim so needed to use an adapter (usually comes with Sim cards).

• Advertisement

This site https://www.gogi.in/xiaomi-mi-max-review.html has a picture of the sim tray.

The memory card is microsd and the slot for Sim2 (which is used if you've a memory card) uses a MICRO sim - I had a nano sim so needed to use an adapter (usually comes with Sim cards).

A right so it's the nano sim I need to get an adapter for. Cheers that was very helpful.

In DPD Birmingham on its way to athlone

Brilliant, hope you get it today mate!

Mine finally arrived this morning, no customs!!

Mine finally arrived this morning, no customs!!
    Delighted for u, hopefully same here

Brilliant, hope you get it today mate!
    Customer care ref gearbest on boards.ie is rubbish, really don't understand how they are allowed here,,,,,,,anyone care to enlighten us? Na, thought not

Delighted for u, hopefully same here

Hopefully yours arrives soon
    Haven't set it up yet, opened the box and was a bit intimidated by the size of it!!
    It's a big unit alright, have to get a cover for it yet!

Mica087 wrote:
    Hopefully yours arrives soon Haven't set it up yet, opened the box and was a bit intimidated by the size of it!! It's a big unit alright, have to get a cover for it yet!

Lol, yep it's a beast, but will be able to tackle everything and will give you a cinema experience in bed!

I don't use cases anymore, just a screen protector. A case makes large phones very difficult to use and you never really experience the nice feel of your phone. I don't mind a scratch or two :)

Lol, yep it's a beast, but will be able to tackle everything and will give you a cinema experience in bed!

I don't use cases anymore, just a screen protector. A case makes large phones very difficult to use and you never really experience the nice feel of your phone. I don't mind a scratch or two :)
    Beast is a perfect way of describing it alright
    2 small kids at home, ultimately the phone gets whipped out to entertain them (YouTube timeline full of peppa pig) and gets fired onto the ground when done!

• Advertisement

Beast is a perfect way of describing it alright
    2 small kids at home, ultimately the phone gets whipped out to entertain them (YouTube timeline full of peppa pig) and gets fired onto the ground when done!

Ah, forgot about kids! lol

Advertisement