Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Introduce Yourself

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭MaryMagdalene

Hi Sparkles

What agency are you dealing with - someone may have dealings / knowledge of them as some seem to be more helpful than others.

What you could do is to send them a registered letter - at least that say someone has to be assigned the case and you would have a name and surely they would have to write back to you.

I spent years writing to them most years requesting information and believe me they did everything they could to deter me. I now know that they lied to all parties so don't trust them. My daughter told me she was glad I did not give up and she was glad that she knew I was out there for her when she felt ready - she contacted me when she was 23.

I would push but not hold my breathe - why don't you use the tracing guides on this site if you get nowhere with the Agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 NGibbler

Hi allMy daughter was given up for adoption 21 years ago, a decision that was taken out of my hands & I have never gotten over it. Now that she is 21 I was told by a friend that if I contact the agency they must tell her of my interest to meet & after that it is her decision. The agency are not getting back to let me know about this & I appreciate they are also considering the adoptive parents view so I would really appreciate any advice on this.Thank you

Hi Sparkles.

I had a meeting with my agency the other day to find out how tracing happens, hope this helps.

For a child looking for the bm it is easier for the agency to locate the bm because they make the link up of the madien name with there PRSI number as that would be the newest address for them ,

As your daughter is only 21 she may not even have a prsi number, and she possibly could have moved home since she was adopted.

I hope this helps in some way, I wish you all the best in your search!

N x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sparkles2009

Thank you for your responses. Although married now I haven't changed my name so hopefully this will help her if she ever does decide to find me. My agency is in Cork & to be fair to them they have been very good to me over the years but suddenly it has stopped now that I have asked them for a meeting to discuss them letting her know that I am here if she would every like to meet. I am not forcing the issue with her or her adoptive parents in any way but just want her to know that the door is open if she every needs it and I would love the chance to tell her she has never left my mind since the day she was taken away. Is it true that she can be told directly by the agency that I am willing to meet if she chooses to do so? It's so hard to know because there is no one to advise me and I just don't know any other way to go about it if the agency won't help me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Honestbutevil

It's been so long since I've been on boards... Heatherward, that's great news!
    So I've got my date and time for my first meeting with PACT. And now that I have that I'm even more nervous than before. But I think this is mainly because I haven't worked out what outcome I'd like. but I'll try to get on boards more and keep you guys posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Bella_purple

Hello!

I've been with a guy who at the age of 7 was given by his birth mother at an orphanage. Life there was hard. He was never adopted, he just had to struggle in life by himself. Now he's doing fine, he works, is a good worker and has a great soul.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Hello!

I've been with a guy who at the age of 7 was given by his birth mother at an orphanage. Life there was hard. He was never adopted, he just had to struggle in life by himself. Now he's doing fine, he works, is a good worker and has a great soul.

Hi Bella- that was tough on your ex. It was always a lot harder for older children to be adopted- most couples would only consider babies. It was quite common for the orphanages to hold regular open days for prospective adoptive parents- all the kids would be done up their best- and competing to appeal to possible parents. Some of the stories I've heard are totally soul destroying. Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Bella_purple

Hi, Shane!

He told me that this practice for open days for prospective parents was held in the orphanage, he had been to some meetings but he didn't like the families. He didn't complain, though. More he was having the philosophy of wearing his cross and be it. Simple as that. I deeply admire him for that. He's 31 now so I guess he knows what he's talking about, not trying to be cocky or something.
    Anyway, in an orphanage, you learn your lessons on the hard way. It's similar with emprisonment, where the law is done by the most powerful or the one that can make alliances. Life is like a battlefield somehow, sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Heatherward

Hi hon omg cant believe its this long since i have been on this site just goes to show how much has happened letters, photos etc have been exchanged on a weekly basis the coincidenses in my life and my bm's life r scary we have so taken th same path had the same dog growing up, our marriages lasted 11 years for both of us and on and on she had a dogs life being pregnant with me and after having me with her "country" family to the point she had to run away anyway we had an organised meeting on 9th Aug which was eating away at me like a curse so at 1.00am this morning i said enough booked a flight to england ... woke up this am and thought holy **** nobody knows im coming ..on internet all morn looking up uk phone book cant find anybody .. rang pact my person is on hols spoke to somebody else told her what i had done and to call my bm and tell her im on my way .. woman very confused but did what i asked .. next thing phone rang my bm was on the other end .. aaahhhhhhhhhhhhh fantastic going on friday guys follow your instincts and go with your heart and i hope with all my heart you get the same result xxx let me know how you get on i defo will log on lots more ...... good luck all xx

• Registered Users Posts: 5 s.somm

Hi this is the first time ive posted and have read everything in the threads
    I'm a 39yr old adoptee and in the middle of my trace through the HSE.
    3 letters have been sent to my BM's address but to no avail. No response.
    I'm feeling a bit disappointed now as i didnt expect it to take so long, it's been 3 years since I first started my search. I'm thinking of going to the mormons records in glasnevin to search for my birth cert as ive heard their records are good, has anyone used this route?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Annal07

hi my names Anna Im not adopted but my younger brother was adopted 18yrs ago as my mother was too young and could not cope, I think his 18th birthday was July!! i just pray he comes looking as I cant wait to meet him!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 dramaqueen00

This is my first time to post. I am a birth mom who gave my son for adoption in 1979. Last year he contacted the agency and they contacted me immediately. I was lucky they had my home phone number from the time I gave up my son and my mother was still living there and was able to pass on my mobile number. I got a phone call from the social worker, a nun, while I was in work to tell me that my son was sitting downstairs in her office! It was a roller coaster of emotions that went through me when she told me I had two grandchildren!

Thankfully ours has been a good reunion. We corresponded by letter through the agency for a while but quickly moved on to email. The agency also fascilitated out face to face reunion.
    There have been times when my emotions were all over the place. But we have taken it slowly and given each other space and time to get to know each other. I am not saying it is all rosy. There are issues and emotions and memories that well up from time to time and I know there are some things that we have not talked about yet but I know there is nothing we cannot deal with.

I just wanted to share this as I have found the threads on posts on this website to be of great help to me over the years, eventhough I never had the courage to post until now

• Registered Users Posts: 14 annieo

Just to introduce myself, im searching for my brother born 29th october 1972 in holles st dublin, to my mother through cunamh agency, she stayed in meath before birth. Her maiden name was o meara and fathers name sullivan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I'm adopted and I'm thinking about thinking about starting the search for my birth mother. I think I'm confident enough to tackle it now.

I'm going to start lurking actively and thank you all in advance for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Hi, I am adopted, I have met my birth mother, we met a few times but she suddenly cut contact and I have to accept that it wasn't meant to be and that I didn't mean as much to her as she did to me. She has another child and I presume focused on him. It wasn't easy being dumped by her twice but I now realise, she is my birth mother yes but never acted like a true mother in all senses of the word.

Never met my birth father, would like to one day but don't know much about him.. It is an emotional experience and one that can have positive or negative experiences.

If you do go down the tracing route, make sure you have lots of support :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

My bf is searching for his half-brother and half-sister, they were twins born on 28th february 1984. The adoption was dealt with by st annes adoption society in cork. Their names were Brian and Gillian.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hcar

Hi there

A brief story on where I'm at on the search journey.
    -Registered in 2004 on the Adoptive register.
    -2006 approx received confirmation on a match.
    -2007/08 (cant remember exactly) got an appointment in St Patricks Guild Merrion. Got good bit of non-identifying info names, birth weight, location etc.. and also to my surprise my natural birth parents got married a few years later and I have 2 sisters, I found out few other bits and pieces and I gave some info too.
    I was told she went in and met them in St Patricks Guild also.

I discussed the next step which was to send a letter but I decided I would prefer her to write one first and I haven't heard a word since approx 2years. Im not sure what to do next? Any suggestions and support at all would be great.
    Thanks.

hcar wrote: »
    Hi there

-2007/08 (cant remember exactly) got an appointment in St Patricks Guild Merrion. Got good bit of non-identifying info names, birth weight, location etc.. and also to my surprise my natural birth parents got married a few years later and I have 2 sisters, I found out few other bits and pieces and I gave some info too.

I discussed the next step which was to send a letter but I decided I would prefer her to write one first and I haven't heard a word since approx 2years. Im not sure what to do next? Any suggestions and support at all would be great.
    Thanks.

To be honest with you- I wouldn't have a great deal of confidence in SPG having forwarded your letter (or if they did and there was a reply- that they would have forwarded this to you).

Personally- if I were in your position- I would leverage the information I have, and do my best to try to initiate a search personally (there are links on the main page of this forum which explain how to go about this).

Congratulations on getting this far- you must be thrilled to know you have two younger sisters waiting for you!

Best wishes,

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hcar

Thanks for your reply. I had no idea that SPG had a bad reputation after reading some of the comments. When I met them they seemed happy enough to give out the information to me.
    I never wrote a letter as I wished her to write one first but it hadn't crossed my mind that they mightn't have forwarded it to me.
    I was told I need to contact Roscommon to get my birth cert but is there not a place in Dublin I can go to get one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Ms Marple

Hello All.
    Just posted for the first time, so feel I should at least introduce myself.
    Long story short, I recently found out I was one of five babies placed for individual adoption by our BM. This came as a huge surprise as I've met her and we've corresponded irregularly for many years. Through a combination of events, including the Contact Preference Register, I've recently met with a sister and a brother. :D There just aren't words to describe my delight and excitement, nor to explain the waves of sadness and anger that hit every so often. But it's all good!

My SW has been doing sterling work, but I fear the disarray of the adoption services may now grind our progress to a halt - hence my post, looking for our two other brothers:

*Mark, March 1970, St Anne's, Cork

*Arthur, July 1976, St Patrick's Guild, Dublin

If these details ring a bell please get in touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Balbriggan mechanic

Hi all. I'm 31 and adopted. Never did much digging into my birth parents. I was born in early october 1979 in dublin and was adopted from the navan road at 6 weeks old. I battled addiction for most of my adult life so it's only now having overcome the addiction that i am becoming curious as to where i really came from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭MaryMagdalene

Welcome and well done on battling your addiction. I hope this journey has a happy ending for you too :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Balbriggan mechanic

Welcome and well done on battling your addiction. I hope this journey has a happy ending for you too :).

Hi,

I'm 24 and although I've often wondered about my birth-relatives, I've never followed through and tried to find any of them.
    I seem to be relying on "the right time" to start looking.
    I figure when I'm ready I'll just know and start then.
    Hi I always went on that thought " the right time" too and it took me until i was 42 to start the ball rolling my search took no time at all and has turned out really well but with lots of trying to protect everyone concerned ... so i think u r right " the right time " is good because it takes a lot of emotional energy to do this .. but has not been without its difficulties so go with your heart .. good luck xx

hcar wrote: »
    Hi there

Thanks.
    Please please dont give up .. dont be disheartened.. the first letter ( having had to do this) is one of the hardest ... i was the one searching and like you I waited for her letter before i could send mine she told me after a very successful reunion that the letter that she wrote to me was extremely hard for her to put together .. so dont waste time what have u got to lose write the letter u never know what could come out of it .... good luck xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 leeside2

Hi - just reading the posts and would like to reassure everyone that, in my experience, St Patrick's Guild in general (and Sr Francis in particular) were wonderful to deal with - open and caring and very responsive and just delighted to know that any one story has had a happy outcome : )

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Geraldo

Hi.

I'm Simon. I'm 31 and was adopted by my grandparents. I've known my birth mother all my life but have no contact with her since my parents passed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭sosyourface

Hi all,

I'm 23, from Limerick and was adopted at birth. DOB 25th March 1987.

I have some basic info about my birth mother and her family, and I have registered on the Adoption Register about 6 months ago but have not had any correspondence yet, other than a confirmation that my registration was received. Doubt that I'll hear anything back in the near future to be honest so I've put it to the back of my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ShiversBM

Hi Everyone,

I found my 31year old daughter and wrote to her three months ago, i haven't heard anything back. I gave my address, email address and phone number.

I sent the letter directly to her house, there wasn't any sw involved as I found her myself through the adoption register.

I realise just because I am ready to meet her, it doesn't mean she feels the same way but the waiting is a killer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ModeMadFan

I was adopted in 1967. Have my mothers name but finding it hard to find her. Also according to the Agency, I have 3 brothers (2 of them twins) and a sister.

Finding it hard to accept that my mother is making decisions for my siblings when they are 38,33 and 28 respectively.

All I know is she comes from a rural town in the South West of Ireland.

Although very happy in my own life it feels like there is a piece of the jigsaw missing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sin_she31

Hi im 31 and decided last year to look for my birth mother.....I was born in Bessboro. Im finding it very difficult to get any of my non-identifying info as the file as in limbo at the moment. I have sent several letters without even a reply:(

Any suggestions:confused:.....ANYTHING!!!

I was thinking of trying to find my birth cert with the info I have, which is my date of birth and the place in which I was born.....Do ye think Ill have any luck??

Thanks
    Sinead

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ModeMadFan

Hi,

Try this link

http://www.adoptionrightsalliance.com/Tracing%20Handbook%20for%20Adopted%20People%20Part%201.pdf

Read this as it gives some very good advice.

And one thing, don't give up. Find what Adoption Agency your were placed through and write to them. You get this by writing to the Adoption Board.

Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

hi sinead, please get on to tom joyce in the adoption board, as the previous poster said u might have been born their but that does,nt mean that they organised your adoption.
    i was born in bessboro but adopted through cunamh, the adoption board also hold a file on every adoption so u might be able to get some more non id info from them which will help in ur search for ur birthcert..kathy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sin_she31

Thank you both for your advice:)....I very much appreciate it. Ill keep ye posted.

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 Kornelia

Tempelton wrote: »
    Hi there folks,

(First of all, sorry if I go on a bit here - I am just a blabber mouth I fear...)

I am 30 years old and adopted. I have known of my adoption since I was seven years old. However, it was only in the last year - since moving back to Dublin from London - that I actively started searching for my birth mother. I scheduled a meeting with the Adoption Board (AB), since the agency that placed me with my adoptive parents is now dissolved, at the start of 2007. The people at the AB were pleasant and somewhat helpful, telling me (after some prodding by me) some basic non-identifying info - which, by the way, they should readily supply to any adopted person they hold files for...

They told me that they would instigate a search for my mother. When I called a few times, they had no news for me - no progress had apparently been made. Then I got a call from the AB that informed me that they had finally completed the first stage of the search (finding my birth cert, then my mother's birth cert). However, the AB also mentioned that the paper trail went cold and that no progress had been made beyond that point. Basically, the way to trace an adoptive parent is to find the child's original birth cert and then, from that, you will have the mother's name. You can then trace her through her birth cert and, if applicable, her marriage cert. This allows you to (hopefully) locate her most recent address and then to contact her. However, the AB informed me that she was apparently no longer at the most recent address that was registered with the records office (from her marriage in 1990) and so, the trail had gone cold.

After several more (increasingly irate) phonecalls from me, I was basically told that I was not a priority case and that I would have to wait. The reason I was "not a priority case" was that my mother had not put her details forward for the recently launched contact registry and thus, they (the AB) were giving priority to those who had. Tough luck - get in line, in short...

So, about three weeks ago I decided that enough is enough - I'm going to find her myself. So, off I set to Joyce House in Dublin (note: the records office has now shifted to the Ilac Centre) to find what I could find...

And now, for those of you who are SERIOUSLY bored and have nothing better to do), what follows is a 2-part account (taken from my posts on the Adoption-Ireland forum of how I traced my mother and where I am in the process now). Perhaps it will be useful for any of you forging ahead with your own trace:

Part 1
    Today I went to Joyce House and delved into the books for the year of my
    birth. I believe I found what I am looking for under the surname
    H****. My name is Mark H**** (which chimes with the "slightly
    unusual surname" line the adoption board fed me). I was born on the
    4th February, 1977. My mother's name is Aileen.

I checked through all the rest of the books (hard as it was, once I
    had found the above entry). I did find one other Mark born in Dublin
    on the same day - but I didn't pay it much heed since the surname
    and maiden name of the parents were different. I know my mother
    wasn't married and on the H***** entry, the surname and maiden name
    were the same.

So...

I got a copy of my birth cert, whereupon I learnt my mother's name
    was Aileen. I knew I was on the right path, since the birth cert
    said she was employed as a "nurse's attendant", which I already
    knew.

Then I went searching for her birth cert. Unfortunately, someone
    else there was hogging all of the books for the years I wanted to
    search through (around 1958). So, I skipped straight to the
    marriages. I vaguely remembered being told she had gotten married a
    fair few years later. So I searched from the mid-80's onwards. I
    eventually found an entry recording the marriage of Aileen H***y to
    Martin O'K****e on the 8th September 1990. I then got a copy of that
    cert.

I then skipped back to the birth cert books (which had become
    available again), searching for my mother's birth cert. I knew she
    was supposed to be 19 (if memory serves me correctly) when I was
    born. So I obviously searching for Aileen H**** in 1958.

But nothing. I went through 1956/7/8/9 and 1960 but no cigar. Lots
    of H****s getting married for sure, but no Aileen. My wife (who is
    American and should not know these things) told me that a lot of
    women back in the 70's, and beyond, in Ireland would often use their
    middle names before marriage? Has anyone else heard of this? So,
    using this as a reference, I did find a Susan A. H**** born in the
    2nd quater of 1958.

Not only does this chime with the birth date of Aileen H***** -
    listed on the marriage certificate as 4th April, 1958 - but also,
    the mother of Susan A. H**** and Aileen H**** shared the same maiden
    name: Duffy.

It sounds like a match to me! If not, how can I explain the
    apparent lack of a birth cert for my mother (unless she was either
    vastly older or younger than I have hitherto been led to believe)?

It was late in the day by that stage - too late to get a birth cert
    for the Susan A. H**** entry. I obviously need to get this next, in
    the hope that it will confirm a few details (such as her parent's
    forenames, which I need to compare to the ones listed on the
    marriage cert).

If that is a match then, due to it being the correct year, it surely
    must be her. If it does match, then I will try
    to find if they have had any kids (for recent address purposes).

The plot thickens...

Postscript: I did return to Joyce House a few days later and did indeed locate my mother's birth cert - the details tallied with those shown on the marriage cert, (i.e. same parental names). I also discovered that she, apparently, did not have any kids at any stage. Whilst interesting knowledge, this also meant that it would be difficult to locate her. You see, I already knew she had moved from the address she was living at at the time of her marriage (in Bayside). If she had moved and then had a kid, I would then have been able to locate her new address when the birth was registered. But since I found no such registration under her and her spouse's names, I was out of luck. What next?

Part 2:
    Well, I found my mum's current address today.

Already armed with her full name, I located her through the land
    registry (and by searching by her maiden name, after a search for
    her married name proved fruitless). It seems she has been living in
    Swords since 1994. In 2002 she reverted to her maiden name - this
    could be due to divorce or separation (or the death of her spouse -
    who, by the way, was almost certainly not my father). I also found her
    name on the most recent electoral register and this was also under
    her maiden name - and for the same address. The other slightly strange thing is that she has reverted to the first name listed on her birth cert once more (despite not using it on my birth cert or on her marriage cert). I
    am still sure it is her though, as to be otherwise would require
    unlikely levels of coincidence.

I have contacted the social worker I've been working with at the
    adoption board (who I made peace with last week, after a few
    difficult phonecalls). I'm going to be sending her a copy of all my
    findings, and she will then be writing to my mother on my behalf. I
    figure this is the best way to approach her - no doubt she would be
    shocked at the prospect of my lumbering presence abruptly exploding
    into her life.

But, the point is, it's her!

I highly recommend that people keep the land registry in mind when
    conducting a trace. Basically, most people who buy a property
    anywhere in the Republic of Ireland register those details (both
    husband and wife in most cases too) with the land registry. Just
    like Joyce House, these records are then open to the public for
    searching purposes. There are four offices in central Dublin, each
    one dealing with certain counties of Ireland. The one I went to (for
    Dublin) was on Nassau Street. I just went to the desk and the
    infinitely nice lady helped me find what I was looking for in a
    matter of minutes. So, if you have a birth mother or father's name
    but can't locate them in Joyce House records, I highly recommend
    doing a search at the land registry. You can read more about it here:
    http://www.landregistry.ie/index.asp?locID=12&docID=316

So, that's my story so far. I have written my letter and copied the documents to send to the social worker at the AB. I tried to impress upon her in the letter that I would not be waiting indefinitely for her to act - and that I was demanding priority. It appears to be the worst nightmare of the AB to contemplate any adopted person attempting to make contact with a parent themselves, so perhaps (as is my plan) that will inspire them to move quickly. If not, then I might need to find an alternative way to make (subtle) contact myself.

Either way, the journey is underway. Who knows where it will lead. I know it might not work out (the story of my life - I expect as much) but I still need to do this. I never thought the feelings would grow so strong as they have done over the past few weeks and months (extremely intense), but others have reassured me that this is part and parcel of what you must inevitably go through. I hope it works out. Maybe she won't even reply. If she does, maybe we will be strangers even if we meet. But I can't let what might happen prevent me from walking through this door that I have spent all of my life moving towards.

p.s. If you made it this far, take a bow! :)

Paul

hi i was wondering did u finally met ur mom? i read your thread with great interest so just wondering was is a success? thanks for ur reply. kornelia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

What do you do when the parent says they don't want to have anything to do with you, medical conditions or not. you give them time and nothing.
    So you have a change of mind and decide to pursue their identity for you and your children not to mention meeting you parent/s. what to do next?

• Advertisement

No1J wrote: »
    What do you do when the parent says they don't want to have anything to do with you, medical conditions or not. you give them time and nothing.
    So you have a change of mind and decide to pursue their identity for you and your children not to mention meeting you parent/s. what to do next?

You have two options- two sources of information open to you- your birthmum- and the agency (and/or adoption authority). If you have decided that you're going to respect your birthmum's wishes- your next port of call is the agency who placed you (and if they're no longer around, the adoption authority). They will have limited information on file- and will in any event contact your birthmum before giving limited information to you.

Unfortunately- as you've probably discovered- us adopted people, are specifically excluded under Freedom of Information- so there is absolutely no point in petitioning the hospital or home you were born in- you won't get very far.........

Personally- were I in your position- I'd persist with your birthmum- whether she likes it or not- she is going to be contacted by either you, or a social worker working on behalf of the Adoption Authority/HSE/Agency.

Unfortunately we really are still in the dark ages here.......

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I should probably introduce myself too.

I was adopted in 1982 when I was 3 months old through Sr Gabriel and St Patricks guild.
    That is about all I know for sure.

I have searched through birth records in Joyce House and I am pretty sure that I have my original birthcert but based on that I haven't found the lady named on that to find out if it is me.

Now that I have kids myself I will start searching again seriously as I would love to know my history.

Every time I look at my 6 week old,I think when I was her age I had no mammy to cuddle me and hope that every baby has someone to love them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

smccarrick wrote: »
    You have two options- two sources of information open to you- your birthmum- and the agency (and/or adoption authority). If you have decided that you're going to respect your birthmum's wishes- your next port of call is the agency who placed you (and if they're no longer around, the adoption authority). They will have limited information on file- and will in any event contact your birthmum before giving limited information to you.

Unfortunately- as you've probably discovered- us adopted people, are specifically excluded under Freedom of Information- so there is absolutely no point in petitioning the hospital or home you were born in- you won't get very far.........

Personally- were I in your position- I'd persist with your birthmum- whether she likes it or not- she is going to be contacted by either you, or a social worker working on behalf of the Adoption Authority/HSE/Agency.

Unfortunately we really are still in the dark ages here.......

Thanks for the advice and I will try again. I started the search 3 years ago and the social worker was in touch and we had the meetings. Some details came back, but the more I think about it the more confused I became. Why tell me my mothers first name and that I have half brothers and sisters and which county they lived in but no further. When I explained that my health had taken a turn for the worst and a family history would be helpful I was asked what the condition was and after a few weeks I was told it had not been in the family and to stop contacting. I now know that I have siblings and maybe they would like to meet their big brother. My wife went checking the birth cert office but we don't really know what to be look for. An ex Garda private investigator has offered his services but the one thing that I wanted to avoid from the start was hurting anyones feelings and causing any embaresment to others. But things have changed and I would like to get a result this year. Any ideas on how to progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13 cybersheepz

Hello! We have the same birthday and birth year and both adopted, random :) I registered with the adoption board 6 months ago and got a call yesterday to confirm a match and now the ball is rolling for a reunion :) So, basically, dont give up hope!!!

Also, I actually had done the tracing process myself to a certain extent and found the following info that maybe you could try if you are tired of waiting:

If you have a first name of birth mother, good. If you dont have a surname (which I didnt,) it makes it a bit more difficult.
    Basically, I went through every single person born on 25/3/1987, every surname, restricting it to dublin and holles street hospital. These birth records are public information in the Irish Life Centre on Abbey Street, Dublin City. It is a little painstaking, but worth it. I had to narrow it down between 20 babies on this day but I did it.

Then, because I knew her age in 1987, I was able to go to find her birth cert (all in the same building). When I got this, I then had her parents address at the time of her birth. I actually only cracked this milestone last week and was getting ready to send a letter to them (my grandparents) when I got the call yesterday

Give it a go if you like and good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13 Bod the Munster one!

Hi, i was adopted, im a '70's bessboro baby, have always known but equally have always felt a square peg in a round hole, i recently received a letter, from a birth family member, I have no idea how they found me but they did, semms besboro files are not as locked as they seem .... been in contact via e mail since, the whole thing has me terrified, dont know either to meet or not or where or how ??????????? help or advice please anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

hi, it,s up to u if u want to meet up, im sure the family member has taken a long time searching for u, no harm to see what they have to say. i too was adopted from bessbrough i was born their in 1969, when i decided to do my search i got no help from them, i had to do it the hard way by trawling through records, so i doubt ur family member got any help from them.
    last year i found a halfsister of mine who was also adopted and she did,nt want anything to do with me, i suppose what im saying is it takes a lot of time and effort to find someone the least they can do is listen to what we have to say...kathy

in fairness there has been nothing demanding or pushy in anything Ive recieved, and ive got all the basic information, and photographs, but the whole thing has me really upset, there are thousands having problems getting basic information and my birth family were able to trace me?? :confused: there are no answers are there,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭tyview

Hi Bod! I was reunited with my birth mother last year. I made my trace through the HSE and it was in their offices so I cant really give you any advice on where you should meet. I would say though if it feels right and you think you're ready, then go for it. Have you seen any photos? I know I was curious to see if I looked like anyone. I did meet my half brother and sister along with some other family members this year and it was in a hotel. We were in the corner of the lobby (any pretty much took over it there was so many of us!) and it was good. There was nobody going by us or sitting beside us so we could just be ourselves and ask anything we needed. Best of luck one way or the other!

ya was sent photos scary how similar i am, !! the whole think really has me in a heap and while friends are doing their best to support me its kinds hard to explain the weirdness of it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭tyview

Haha, yeh seeing the photos is mad. The whole thing will be weird for a while. I suppose if the family member contacted you, you didn't have as much time to get your head around things first. I had been on a waiting list for many years and the year before I was called I was on this forum at least once a day reading other peoples stories. I don't think my husband understood me at all or that there was such a 'need' for me to do this. Take it at your own pace. If you do meet up, it can either be a one off or it could be the start of something. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Gummie

Hi Bod, I was in a very similar situation to you last yr. My birth mother and sister got in contact with me via the adoption board. I ticked 'willing to exchange non-identifying information' on the contact preference register. It took me a full yr to get my head around it. My birth mother has sent me 2 letters and I have sent 1. I still don't feel ready to meet and this is, according to my social worker, normal. I know how you feel. It is so hard to explain. Give it time.

because the letter came to door and not through an agency i dont have anyone bar friends i can talk to about it, some one said there is a support group for adoptees in cork? anyone know anything about them? or who/where else i could turn, very unsettled by it all , have been exchanging e mails with brother, n nothing pushy or nasty at all, Im just unsure, wary, ...glad i found this forum lot of info xx

• Registered Users Posts: 12 truegas

hi all 14 years ago since i meet my mum jancita n park house was my social worker meet my mum got on great with her .her kids didnt no bout me she ring me and i meet up with her i was always asking her question bout me dad she told me his name and what he did i found a number and rang him cut it short meet up every thing grand i had 2 tell mt birth mum she seem ok bout it we all meet up every thing grand he was with my mum that nite she told him things she didnt tell me a few weeks after that jancita my social worker rang me wasnt happy my birth mum wasnt happy either she didnt want anything 2 do with me my dad started 2 fancy me kept telling me i luck likemy mother when he was with her he told people i was his girlfriend i stopped all contack with him i sent photo of my kids 2 my mother 2 years ago she never rang i was 40 a few weeks ago was thinkiny a lot bout her the last few weeks i rang jancita yesterday 2 ring her see will she meet up or ring it all my fault anyway fingers x it work out again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 christine88

Hi everyone,
    I have posted on this previously but just wanted to put another post up.Again, i am a university of limerick student writing my Mastes thesis on Bessborough and i would love to interview people who were in Bessborough either as a child or a mother. If anyone feels they would like to answer questions this will be sent via post or email whereby you fill out answers to some of my questions (you dont have to answer anything you feel uncomfortable about). If anyone is willing to help me with my research i would be extremely grateful. Just private message me!

Kind Regards
    Christine:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 fionaf

hi everyone :) i hope people are still reading this.... im 20 and was adopted when i was 2 months old through the Rotunda Girls Aid Society.... i've always known i was adopted and so has my brother.... i love my family to bits but from time to time i would always think about my birth mother.... i've spoken to my parents about the idea of tracing and they have been very supportive..... i'm not exactly sure how to go about the tracing process.... i don't have my original birth cert so im wondering if this will be a problem.... thanks for listening.

• Advertisement
Advertisement