Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Road Condition Warning thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

Whats going on in Wicklow coco...
    Fresh new surface just layed up to Kilbride from the N81 (more or less) now its tarred and feathered...destroyed for what reason?
    Ive heard of upgrades but downgrades??

Same for the outside Kippure estate..butter mountain...some of Glencree....

meant to post the same after being up that road on saturday. They do this every summer, making at least one popular cycling stretch, a borderline no-go area. I lodged a complaint with them about it, maybe 3 years ago, saying their choice of surface may make sense for cars in february, but that it's treacherous for cyclists in June. One of their engineers got back to me citing studies and research and other nonsense, and completely ignored the fact that I simply asked that they sweep away the loose gravel.

Like anything, it'll take a few accidents and resulting civil cases to get them to consider changing their ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Found another fresh bit of tar and feathering around the lakes trying to avoid the other sections...
    Its bedding in fairly quick relative to road traffic but still a lot of surface gravel...
    Puncture 2 and 3 now....

I understand the theory behind it but its a cheap fix simple..
    Given the state of some of the other roads in the area I would like to see the thinking on what sections to pick process.
    Outside Kippure estate the road is closed at the first sight of frost/snow so not sure why skid resistance is required on that section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭secman

Just looking for an update on state of road surface on Lisheen , into manor Kilbride, have been avoiding it for about 3 weeks now, has the gravel bedded in yet ?

Ta

secman wrote: »
    Just looking for an update on state of road surface on Lisheen , into manor Kilbride, have been avoiding it for about 3 weeks now, has the gravel bedded in yet ?

Ta

The road has bedded Secman but the junctions are a mess with loose gravel..
    Ive only come from the gap (Mooneys side)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,961 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Diesel on the road opposite Clonskeagh Mosque this morning.
    Car fuel line appeared to burst in a line of traffic. A few of us helped push the lady’s car up onto the grass verge but there was a substantial pool of diesel on the road and into the cycle path from it.

Shoes slipped on the pedals a few times afterwards, so can’t imagine you’d want to cycle through it at any great speed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

Fresh gravel all over the Liam Horner and on towards the Featherbeds, wasn't there yesterday. I don't know how far in the direction of the Featherbeds it extends. There are gravel warning signs all down the waterfall side of Glencree so the rest may be destroyed in the next few days.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

So that's both routes up from Enniskerry now as it's all over the other one too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

The gravel goes all the way to the turn for Bohernabreena

Ah B.....X!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

Weepsie wrote: »
    So that's both routes up from Enniskerry now as it's all over the other one too.

The Enniskerry side is grand now, the chippings were only on a short stretch and they've fairly bedded in. Fresh smooth tarmac was laid in the last week or so though between the turn for Devils Elbow and Kilgarron. Lovely to cycle on. Top quality surface. So chances are that will be hit with chippings at some stage also :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭C3PO

Fresh gravel all the way from a few kms before the Reconciliation Centre, on the Enniskerry side, all the way to the Featherbeds high point! Not too bad climbing up but wouldn't fancy it going down! Wasn't there on Sunday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

It wasn't nice coming down it yesterday

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Borderfox wrote: »
    It wasn't nice coming down it yesterday

Was up there just now, looked crap so came back down by the featherbeds rather than Glencree. Why do they do this, there must be ten bikes for every car on that stretch of road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭C3PO

smacl wrote: »
    Was up there just now, looked crap so came back down by the featherbeds rather than Glencree. Why do they do this, there must be ten bikes for every car on that stretch of road?

They’d be much better doing something with Cruagh Hill - really hate descending down that, the surface is terrible particularly under the trees!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Apparently if the road isn't on the gritting list it must be ripped to shreds.

ED E wrote: »
    Apparently if the road isn't on the gritting list it must be ripped to shreds.

I reckon it is probably just the lads from Wickla Co Co letting us jackeens know that we've left the pale. Chucking a bunch of pebbles on the road just after the county boundary and up and down the roads to Glencree and Djouce seems to be a regular event. The bit they've done further on down between the gap and Laragh is a fantastic surface. Gas that you can see the country line so visibly.

486186.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I reckon it is probably just the lads from Wickla Co Co letting us jackeens know that we've left the pale.

You do realise the pale goes somewhat further west then Glencree?

You do realise the pale goes somewhat further west then Glencree?

I do now, every days a school day :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

The military road from the Featherbeds down into Glencree seems to have bedded in a bit today (compared to Wednesday), you can avoid most of it by staying in the car tyre tracks.

But there are some more shorter stretches added between Kippure gate and the Gap :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a few more roads around NCD with the same treatment now. coming south from ardcath, there's a crossroads where left goes to clonalvy, straight on to garristown, and right goes towards puddenhill. straight on is covered in gravel, and the road to clonalvy is covered in it for about a kilometre.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

jaysus, i went away for a few days and they blitzed the place. snowtown was also tarred and chipped, as well as mullaghteelin too.

funny thing is neither road needed doing, i've come down off snowtown at decent enough speed without worrying about the surface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,067 ✭✭✭✭neris

Greenfield Road & Carrickbrack Road on the climb & descent of Howth Hill are currently in bits while a surface is being put down. Surface is very rough and loose and also the man hole covers are a good bit higher then the ****ty surface. Goes from roughly the secondary school up to near Duncarrig (after the primary school/grave yard coming down)

still a few minor pockets of standing water out there, but the rock road at the bottom of booterstown avenue - on the inbound side - is under about six inches of water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,462 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The 'cycle lane' (aka, the section of road inside the dotted white line) along Goatstown Road inbound today was like a mini-stream. There was heavy traffic, so opportunities to move out of the lane were very limited.

It wasn't really raining that heavily for most of my journey, but there was an awful lot of water on the road. Hopefully, the newspaper-stuffed shoes will dry out before I head home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,961 ✭✭✭blackwhite

The 'cycle lane' (aka, the section of road inside the dotted white line) along Goatstown Road inbound today was like a mini-stream. There was heavy traffic, so opportunities to move out of the lane were very limited.

It wasn't really raining that heavily for most of my journey, but there was an awful lot of water on the road. Hopefully, the newspaper-stuffed shoes will dry out before I head home.

Was going down there around 8am - have never seen it so bad.

To be fair - any time I signaled to move out the people in the motoring lane held back and left space.
    Only problem was at the Roebuck lights - someone coming from Roebuck trying to squeeze into the queue had overshot the turn, and was stopped blocking the cycle lane :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 breathless

Between Ranelagh and Portobello, someone, presumably DCC made a half hearted attempt to sweep up the leaves yesterday and has left two large piles in the middle of the cycle path

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Hole in the road as you turn towards Parkgate street from the Quays, just as you cross the bridge before Heuston and turn left, the hole by the manhole there is growing my the day.
    An awful one to inadvertently go into if you're not familiar with the road. It's just on the turn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

eeeee wrote: »
    Hole in the road as you turn towards Parkgate street from the Quays, just as you cross the bridge before Heuston and turn left, the hole by the manhole there is growing my the day.
    An awful one to inadvertently go into if you're not familiar with the road. It's just on the turn.

That's been at least a week developing worse each day and typical inept council patch work previously hence the problem. Likely to break a wheel or wrist hitting that it's so bad at present.
    The whole of Parkgate Street is a disgrace in both directions, they resurfaced a small section heading east just before that quays that was particularly bad at the time of the velo convention but usual half measures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I passed this in Portmarnock again this morning... it's exactly the same, or even worse. With two lads scratching their heads beside the big industrial pump that's trying to empty it.

https://twitter.com/sticky_bottle/status/1191469556843331584?s=20

And what's funny, or depressing is that these fields have always been perpetually flooded. And it's not the sea that's flooding it as the road is below this point. I would have thought a drainage solution was part of the plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Is that south of the airport beacon enclosure?

• Advertisement

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Is that south of the airport beacon enclosure?

Yep. Immediately south of it. The water runs right up to the fence surrounding the beacon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

As I understand it, the track is dual-purpose. Cycleway and triathlon training...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I passed this in Portmarnock again this morning... it's exactly the same, or even worse. With two lads scratching their heads beside the big industrial pump that's trying to empty it.

https://twitter.com/sticky_bottle/status/1191469556843331584?s=20

And what's funny, or depressing is that these fields have always been perpetually flooded. And it's not the sea that's flooding it as the road is below this point. I would have thought a drainage solution was part of the plan.

The word on the street is:

https://twitter.com/alan_kelly/status/1192720932550447105?s=21

07Lapierre wrote: »

You know, when I first heard of this track my initial thought was that they would f*ck it up in some way. But my god this is epic; I had thought that maybe they wouldn't make it wide enough, or make a mess of the junctions. But needing a boat to traverse the track is a whole new level of insanity. And it doesn't even take much rain for this section to flood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

2 areas to watch

Mud on the cycle track coming into Leeson street from Morehampton road, with large pool of water when it rains. It's hazardous because that part of street is not well lit on the way home in the evening.

Large spread of wet and compressed leaves on Anglesea Road just after the RDS where there are car parking spaces, as a cyclist maintain control in this section do not cycle through them.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I'm thinking of going for a shower in the Slieve Blooms today. I've never been before. For anytime who is familiar, should I have any concerns about ice on the road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,462 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Large spread of wet and compressed leaves on Anglesea Road just after the RDS where there are car parking spaces, as a cyclist maintain control in this section do not cycle through them.
    The RDS side of Anglesea Road floods with any kind of vaguely heavy rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

The RDS side of Anglesea Road floods with any kind of vaguely heavy rain.

It’s grand though. The locals only drive 4X4’s

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

bazermc wrote: »
    It’s grand though. The locals only drive 4X4’s

Ah, the D4 tractor, the ideal vehicle for all those agricultural needs of the modern suburban family

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

CramCycle wrote: »
    Ah, the D4 tractor, the ideal vehicle for all those agricultural needs of the modern suburban family

They all have invisible tow bars for pulling their non existent trailers and horseboxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

They all have invisible tow bars for pulling their non existent trailers and horseboxes.

Although having recently bought a car where the tow-bar retracts out of sight when not in use I've found myself having to rethink that opinion which I also shared!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,228 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

The descent into Howth is being resurfaced. The top layer from just before the Abbey Tavern to the T junction is gone. The surface is very rough with ramps at both ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,067 ✭✭✭✭neris

The descent into Howth is being resurfaced. The top layer from just before the Abbey Tavern to the T junction is gone. The surface is very rough with ramps at both ends.

They've dug it up and there's cobbles. Time for the Ronde von howth

help me. Ronde?

help me. Ronde?

'De Ronde' is a Dutch nickname for 'The Tour', referring to Ronde van Vlaanderen (Tour of Flanders), which involves riding on cobbles :)

(it was just a (weak) joke)

(it was just a (weak) joke)

D'oh, it's been a long day :o

Gritters have been out so roads have that scummy greasy surface to them be careful out there...Mt Venus road, cruagh and view point last night but no doubt all the lesser used gritted roads will be the same.

• Advertisement

The descent into Howth is being resurfaced.
    have they completed this yet?

Advertisement