Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gin-the most depressing alcoholic drink?

Options
  • 01-05-2019 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Fair to say I've now sampled enough of it to agree it is the most depressing drink known to man.
    Obviously alcohol in general is a depressant,but having drank wine,cider,beer,vodka etc and experiencing a wide range of hangovers,I find gin to be the worst.Almost like a sadness that lingers for a few days...

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Gin makes me cry, tequila makes me a party animal, whiskey makes me punch people

All a myth OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Only the first post of the thread necessary. Says it all.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057798937

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Alcohol is a CNS depressant, which doesn't mean what many confuse it as meaning - it slows down brain and spinal cord activity as opposed to necessarily depressing mood. Depressed mood can arise as a result of alcohol, but alcohol isn't inherently a "mood lowering agent" which is what many interpret the "alcohol is a depressant" thing as meaning.

Regarding gin, I don't know the constituents or the science of any of them, but it's easily possible that one or more of the additives used to flavour it, or something inherent to juniper berries, does indeed have an effect on mood which other spirits don't have. It could also be (and in my view is possibly more likely) that it's something in the tonic which does this - quinine has a large array of listed adverse effects when used medically, and although mood isn't one of them, things such as headaches, nausea, and altering one's blood cell profile are, which could very much result in one's mood taking a nosedive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

It doesn't suit some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

OP you reminded me I haven't had a gin in ages - Now I wouldn't really go for the new craze in gin and botanicals (big glasses, blueberries etc etc) but a couple of gin & tonics with ice and lemon are lovely on a summers evening. I don't find they make me sad although any drink could do that depending on the level of hangover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Aul ones drink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Gin makes me cry, tequila makes me a party animal, whiskey makes me punch people

All a myth OP

So it's not the Brandy...

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭NCS

The price of it can be pretty depressing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

That’s what I thought for years and was surprised when this new trend took off.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

Love a nice gin. Cry a river when I drink vodka.

Too much of anything and I'm in tears though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world… I walk into this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It never had a depressing affect on me.

The ethanol is the depressant and the only difference, in the affect on mood, between various drinks is the alcohol content.

Grand refreshing drink gin and tonic at the end of the night after 10 or 12 pints of stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When ever I think of Gin I think of Audrey.
    Audrey%2BRoberts.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Gin + san pellegrino, Happy times.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Loved gin from when I first had it at 16 �� I would not pay a tenner for a glass of it though. Can’t beat an ice cold gin & tonic with a fat wedge of lime. <3

Sambuca, no.... I’m still not talking to her after I ended up missing Millennium Eve after a few too many shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Much prefer a 72% Swiss La Bleue absinthe with iced spring water from a fountain or a brouiller packed with ice too, there ain't nothing quite like it. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,281 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Sambuca, no.... I’m still not talking to her after I ended up missing Millennium Eve after a few too many shots.

Sure you can always enjoy the next one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I think it was Dylan Moran who described gin as "not so much a drink as a mascara thinner".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its a bullshyte myth. All alcohol is a depressive. The higher concentration you drink of it at a low ebb of the day or without food etc, the more depressed you will get.

Gin is just vodka (grain spirits) with added infusions of natural botanicals. Obviously juniper is the dominant flavour, but theres nothing in that or any of the other common infusions in gin that worsen its depressive effect over other strong grain spirits.

The bad name gin has (mothers ruin) goes back to when it was first invented. Cheap, home made, unrefined and unregulated grain spirits in the lower impoverished classes used to decimate people. Gin began as an exercise to make these spirits at least taste better, but if those people could have afforded good scotch or wine then those drinks would have ruined just as many families.

And so like all grog, gin is enjoyable up to a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

When ever I think of Gin I think of Audrey.
    I'm the same, except with this one:

article-2604600-1D1E1D7800000578-91_634x500.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

NCS wrote: »
    The price of it can be pretty depressing...

Under 13 quid in Lidl and still better than Cork Dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭GBX

No, think it's a lovely heart warming drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭NCS

L1011 wrote: »
    Under 13 quid in Lidl and still better than Cork Dry.

Ah now if I was in Lidl I'd spend a little extra on the Wild Burrow Irish Gin...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Used to be called Mothers Ruin way back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

giphy.gif

Wetherspoons in Dun Laoghaire occasionally have a tea-flavoured gin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I find it cheeky that any UK people ever consider Irish to be drunks.

They don't know their own history, esp the London gin epidemic as characterised in Hogarth's famous engraving Gin Lane:
    22737559_max.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Wetherspoons in Dun Laoghaire occasionally have a tea-flavoured gin :D

You can thank the hipsterisation of everything for that. Fcuking beardies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Gin and tonic is the happiest drink! Tastes of celebration and sparkle.
    You're all just doing it wrong.

Advertisement