Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gin-the most depressing alcoholic drink?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

Water in the 1700's was full of bacteria gin and beer were safer options.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,314 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

You can thank the hipsterisation of everything for that. Fcuking beardies.

You're not pinning this one on the beards, smooth-skin!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

topper75 wrote: »
    I find it cheeky that any UK people ever consider Irish to be drunks.

They don't know their own history, esp the London gin epidemic as characterised in Hogarth's famous engraving Gin Lane:
    22737559_max.jpg

To be fair that could just as easily be entitled "Dublin City Centre on St.Patrick's Day"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Vodka makes me stupid drunk/giddy.
    Beer just makes me drunk.
    Morgans spiced rums makes me angry and a downright cúnt.
    Gin makes me sad/tearful so I avoid it at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

To be fair that could just as easily be entitled "Dublin City Centre on St.Patrick's Day"

That particular scene portrayed in the pic, perhaps; the overall problem and its scale, no not so. By 1743, England was drinking 2.2 gallons (10 litres) of gin per person per year.

But eh... drunken paddies innit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭chrissb8

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Gin makes me cry, tequila makes me a party animal, whiskey makes me punch people

All a myth OP

It isn't. If you digest different tyoes of food differently than you digest different types of alcohol differently. Bit ridiculous to think that it's all the same. Has the same effect, sure but each in a varied way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I'm partial to a Martini.

Definitely not with vodka and certainly never shaken.

Fcuk you James Bond.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Going by the selection available now, feels like we're in another Gin Craze, and the last one didn't go well.

In 1736, the Middlesex Magistrates complained:

It is with the deepest concern your committee observe the strong Inclination of the inferior Sort of People to these destructive Liquors, and how surprisingly this Infection has spread within these few Years … it is scarce possible for Persons in low Life to go anywhere or to be anywhere, without being drawn in to taste, and, by Degrees, to like and approve of this pernicious Liquor.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gin_Craze

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Any time I've drank gin, I turn into a weeping, 45 year old divorcee, mother of 5. Sobbing into a glass, filling it with my tears as quickly as I can drink it.

Rum makes me blank out, but it's tasty as. Morgan's not so much, that fake vanilla makes me heave.

Tequila is party time, but that's because I'm knocking back strong alcohol, usually in a party atmosphere.

It's mostly due to the pace of consumption, and the underlying mood though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

chrissb8 wrote: »
    It isn't. If you digest different tyoes of food differently than you digest different types of alcohol differently. Bit ridiculous to think that it's all the same. Has the same effect, sure but each in a varied way.

Maybe if you were digesting different types of alcohol. But you arent. Its all the same type of alcohol. Thats why the effect of all alcoholic drinks are the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭NCS

Maybe if you were digesting different types of alcohol. But you arent. Its all the same type of alcohol. Thats why the effect of all alcoholic drinks are the same.

Not quite... I've seen research which suggests hangovers may be worse for barrel-aged spirits over clear spirits due to incorporation of substances from the barrel wall. So it's plausible that different accompanying ingredients may have an effect on the experience or rate of intoxication, not least coupling with high-caffeine mixers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Bull****,

I dont really have a drink that makes me get angry or sad, if there was to be one it might, just might be whiskey

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

I think of Shane McGowan when I see Gin ... but yeah awful depressing drink.
    Horrible on it's own.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Any time I've drank gin, I turn into a weeping, 45 year old divorcee, mother of 5. Sobbing into a glass, filling it with my tears as quickly as I can drink it.

Your not supposed to drink the whole bottle in one sitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

I think of Shane McGowan when I see Gin ... but yeah awful depressing drink.
    Horrible on it's own.

Cork Dry Gin is awful sh1te. I could happily keep a full bottle of gin in my cupboard for a year without drinking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,838 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I never found one particular type of drink more or less mood altering in either direction. If you go out in an aggressive, pissy, somber, upbeat or even euphoric mood, alcohol can seem to increase the levels of those emotions.

Can be different for everyone. Like my circle of friends on a heavyish night out. Nobody ever aggressive or troublesome but some become more animated, more schoolboyish, more funny..some nights that’s pints, weekends can be a couple of chasers..whisky, jagers, cocktails... whatever,

• Registered Users Posts: 10 matiasbloom

Strumms wrote: »
    I never found one particular type of drink more or less mood altering in either direction. If you go out in an aggressive, pissy, somber, upbeat or even euphoric mood, alcohol can seem to increase the levels of those emotions.

Can be different for everyone. Like my circle of friends on a heavyish night out. Nobody ever aggressive or troublesome but some become more animated, more schoolboyish, more funny..some nights that’s pints, weekends can be a couple of chasers..whisky, jagers, cocktails... whatever,

absolutely agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

topper75 wrote: »
    That particular scene portrayed in the pic, perhaps; the overall problem and its scale, no not so. By 1743, England was drinking 2.2 gallons (10 litres) of gin per person per year.

But eh... drunken paddies innit.

The drunken Irish stereotype in English culture seems to have predated that by quite a bit. Even Shakespeare wrote in "humourous" references to the stereotype in his plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

I think that saying comes from the fact it was always your old rattly aunt at family gatherings that had the gin and tonic.

Personally I like a good fruity Gin and it definitely puts me in a good mood ha.

Advertisement