Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gin ****

• 18-10-2017 1:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Good god I hate gin ****, I hate them. They're absolutely everywhere nowadays. Ubiquitous bastards. Look at ya there, standing with your poxy goldfish bowl full of gin with seawood or lettuce or probably kale swirling around in it you hipster piece of sh*t. ''It's got cucumber in it so it's one of my 5-a-day lol''. No, no it's not. You're a wanker. And gin bars are now a thing too? ''Uh sorry, what tonics do you recommend?''. Seriously, you try-hard motherfcukers. Stop trying to be into gin. Get that perfect filter for your gin pics... well you can fcuk off too Lovin' Dublin or whatever clickbaity gick is on the bandwagon this week. Gin tea bags, gin biscuits... Christ make it stop. Gin was the tipple of hairy lipped ladies back in the day was it not? Auld ones playing bridge or something? Now the girls drinking it are youngones that, this time last year, were falling around locked on blue WKD bawling their eyes out on street corners. Now it's all Gin + Doggy Ear Filter + Be Rude Not To caption. Who would it be rude to? Who?!

God I despise you all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

So what's your favourite gin, OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Gin's great after a massive feed of pints. Clears the palate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

fxotoole wrote: »
    So what's your favourite gin, OP?

Gin Cyanide, if they ever make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭brevity

And after a big meal.

Or now. God I'd murder a gin right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

u ok hun????

• Advertisement

u ok hun????

That's for the Prosecco chicks. Also, that hasn't been funny in about 3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Gin is the new "thing people like which annoys people who don't like it" then? Glad it's moved on from craft beers anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Fun fact about Gin + Tonic.

Gin is in fact, the mixer for tonic and not the other way around.

[uncle albert voice]During the war[/uncle albert voice] tonic was taken for the quinine as it apparently helped with Malaria but tonic tasted like sh*t, so they added Gin (and sugar) to make it bearable.

It still tastes like sh*t imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I thought you had to be a 60+ aul one to order a "gin & tonic"

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Duly noted OP. I'll go back to drinking blue WKD and bawling my eyes out on street corners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭Wossack

Fun fact about Gin + Tonic.

Gin is in fact, the mixer for tonic and not the other way around.

[uncle albert voice]During the war[/uncle albert voice] tonic was taken for the quinine as it apparently helped with Malaria but tonic tasted like sh*t, so they added Gin (and sugar) to make it bearable.

It still tastes like sh*t imo.

You just havent had the right to tonic to mix it up with Whoops. *twitch*

Omackeral wrote: »
    You just havent had the right to tonic to mix it up with Whoops. *twitch*

The cucumber makes all the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

I thought you had to be a 60+ aul one to order a "gin & tonic"

Nah, even back in '94 it was cool to drink G&T. Although in those days we called it "Supersonic"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Pints are it

The cucumber makes all the difference.

That's one of your five a day lolololololololollololololololloollololololololololoololloloololololl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Can't beat a Hendricks with tonic and cucumber.

Fight me OP.

Corvo wrote: »
    Can't beat a Hendricks with tonic and cucumber.

Fight me OP.

He takes his whiskey neat.

No way you'd beat a man like that in a fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'll drink gin but only as a short with some tonic water. None of that gay glasses full of crap stuff.

Just to be clear, I've no bother with people enjoying a drink. It's when they're being cnuts posting pics everywhere they go of this gin or that gin and all of a sudden they're all about that gin life. I won't accept it. I can't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,998 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its just the hipsters at it again.

First beards, now gin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

A trip to Slane with whatever drink our then 16 year old selves could get our hands on the year the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Foo Fighters and Queens of the Stone Age were playing put me off gin for life. Never, ever again. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I've always assumed that drinking gin was very similar to what I'd expect drinking dodgy aftershave to be like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Just to be clear, I've no bother with people enjoying a drink. It's when they're being cnuts posting pics everywhere they go of this gin or that gin and all of a sudden they're all about that gin life. I won't accept it. I can't.

Bastards, forcing those photo's in your face.

I haven't seen any photo's but then again I don't really use instagram or facebook. Because of that I avoid all sorts of annoying sh1te. No photo's of meals. No photo's of sh1t sunsets. No photo's of their little rug rats. No wedding anniversary photo's showing what they looked like 10 years ago.

Grayson wrote: »
    Bastards, forcing those photo's in your face.

I haven't seen any photo's but then again I don't really use instagram or facebook. Because of that I avoid all sorts of annoying sh1te. No photo's of meals. No photo's of sh1t sunsets. No photo's of their little rug rats. No wedding anniversary photo's showing what they looked like 10 years ago.

So. Many. Apostrophes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I've always assumed that drinking gin was very similar to what I'd expect drinking dodgy aftershave to be like.
    It also reminds me of Ms. Hannigan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

So. Many. Apostrophes.

yeah... I have new glasses and they're making me stupid.

That's the excuse I'm sticking to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Ah an "I don't like new things" thread.
    Always fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

No ball o malt though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Gin with Elderflower cordial is delicious and is even better with some prosecco. It does have to be a good floral gin with some deep, woody base notes, otherwise it just tastes a bit pretentious.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

Good god I hate gin ****, I hate them. They're absolutely everywhere nowadays. Ubiquitous bastards. Look at ya there, standing with your poxy goldfish bowl full of gin with seawood or lettuce or probably kale swirling around in it you hipster piece of sh*t. ''It's got cucumber in it so it's one of my 5-a-day lol''. No, no it's not. You're a wanker. And gin bars are now a thing too? ''Uh sorry, what tonics do you recommend?''. Seriously, you try-hard motherfcukers. Stop trying to be into gin. Get that perfect filter for your gin pics... well you can fcuk off too Lovin' Dublin or whatever clickbaity gick is on the bandwagon this week. Gin tea bags, gin biscuits... Christ make it stop. Gin was the tipple of hairy lipped ladies back in the day was it not? Auld ones playing bridge or something? Now the girls drinking it are youngones that, this time last year, were falling around locked on blue WKD bawling their eyes out on street corners. Now it's all Gin + Doggy Ear Filter + Be Rude Not To caption. Who would it be rude to? Who?!

God I despise you all.

Top marks for the rant! :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

It's so hipster to call something hipster these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Only a wanker would get hung up about what other **** drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

God I despise you all.

Go get see a therapist for your own sake....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The problem is we have a profusion of ****. First it was just the wine ****, but there weren't very many of them and we could safely ignore them. Then there was the craft beer ****. Next thing you know we had whiskey ****, coffee ****, and now it's gin ****.

Non-**** are a dying breed and we're feeling under threat as the **** close in on us from all sides, with their beards and their tattoos, furiously, menacingly ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,259 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

flaneur wrote: »
    Ah an "I don't like new things" thread.
    Always fun.

Gin is new? Well then wtf have I been crying mascara into?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

It’s a classic drink it tastes quite good it makes you drunk and you don’t need to pour gallons of it into your stomach to ‘get anywhere’.

What’s not to like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Whatever happened to good old Gin n Juice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

I succumbed to the G&T trend recently and had my first gin, tonic and rhubarb mixer. Oh my lord, it was the nicest alcoholic drink I've ever drank and it was from a local gin distillery to me too. I think I'm a covert now because I like the taste, not because I want to follow a trend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The problem is we have a profusion of ****. First it was just the wine ****, but there weren't very many of them and we could safely ignore them. Then there was the craft beer ****. Next thing you know we had whiskey ****, coffee ****, and now it's gin ****.

Non-**** are a dying breed and we're feeling under threat as the **** close in on us from all sides, with their beards and their tattoos, furiously, menacingly ****

If you're the guy who thinks everyone else is a wanker that usually means it's actually you who is the wanker.

Same goes for you OP. Nobody who's the full shilling could get that angry over other people enjoying a drink that you personally don't enjoy. I suspect a deeper issue is the cause of this outburst. Come on OP, you can tell us we won't judge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I was in my local sitting at the bar having a couple of beers when a young one in her early 20's came up and asked for a Gin and Tonic, the bar man poured it and said that'll be whatever the price is , and the young lady say's I kid you not  " Sorry I want it in one of the big fancy glasses  "  Bar man replies "sorry we don't have any left "  so she say's "oh well then i'll have a glass of persseco instead "
    What a GOOOOOONNN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,501 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The thing about this "craze" is that it's quite the potent drink, and is a known depressive. And yet it's marketed as THE thing to drink now. I actually think it's quiet a dangerous thing to be peddling, particularly to younger people who mightn't be responsible drinkers in comparison to "traditional gin drinkers".

MadYaker wrote: »
    If you're the guy who thinks everyone else is a wanker that usually means it's actually you who is the wanker.

Oh... [Shamefacedly puts penis away]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭conorhal

invasion-of-the-body-snatchers-final-scene.jpg?itok=7lUH3HV3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

better that than **** djinn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Good Lord, thank goodness I never go out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,460 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

God I despise you all.

I was drinking Gin and sporting a beard in 2004 - I think I can safely say I wasn't in it for the fad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Not a big fan of gin but i do like this rant, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I like gin.
    A good gin with some tonic water is nice.
    It seemingly annoys some people and my only problem with gin is that I have none left and I need to buy a bottle of it to go with the tonic water...

“The most dangerous drink is gin. You have to be really, really careful with that. And you also have to be 45, female and sitting on the stairs. Because gin isn't really a drink, it's more a mascara thinner. "Nobody likes my shoes!" "I made... I made fifty... ****ing vol-au-vents, and not one of you... not one of you... said 'Thank you.'" And my favourite: "Everybody, shut up. Shut up! This song is all about me.”

― Dylan Moran

:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDIiPIJmXcE&ab_channel=thomasofderbyshire

• Advertisement
Advertisement