Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Accident / Incident thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

A man has died in a light aircraft crash in Mayo. No further details at present.

RIP.

https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2018/0504/960420-mayo-plane-crash/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I'm not sure if it qualifies as an 'incident' as such, but I was on EI-DEM yesterday evening and it aborted its takeoff due to a fault/alarm from the aircraft on the runway in Dublin. It was such a fault that a change of planes and flight crew was required..

I see it's back in the air today, but where might I find any info on what the problem was?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭Comhrá

The right wing of an Asiana Airlines Airbus A330-300 (reg. HL7792) destroyed the tail of a Turkish Airlines A321 (TC-JMM) on taxiway “Golf” at Istanbul Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

5096d1526263875-a319-fo-windshield-blowout-img_6590.jpg

Sichaun Airlines A320 flight deck window blow out at 9,200m.
    AvHerald link

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Brennus335 wrote: »
    5096d1526263875-a319-fo-windshield-blowout-img_6590.jpg

Sichaun Airlines A320 flight deck window blow out at 9,200m.
    AvHerald link
    Reminiscent of the BA blow out (although obviously didn't end with the captain getting half sucked out)
    Very good reaction about descending to minimum safe altitude - I'm sure the instinct was to drop fast in such a situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Reading this on pprune and it appears the crew performed incredibility well nothing but praise for them considering the Co Pilot nearly went out suffered cuts to his face cockpit equipment damaged and they got it down well done to them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,045 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

An Onur Air Airbus A330-200 on behalf and in colours of Saudi Arabian Airlines, registration TC-OCH performing flight SV-3818 from Madinah (Saudi Arabia) to Dhaka (Bangladesh), was enroute at FL370 about 200nm northeast of Madinah when the crew decided to turn around and divert to Jeddah. The aircraft went around from about 1000 feet MSL on first approach due to an unsafe gear indication, entered a hold for about one hour while working the checklists, performed a low approach to Jeddah and subsequently positioned for a full stop landing without nose gear. The aircraft landed on Jeddah's runway 34R about 4.5 hours after departure from Madinah and skidded on main gear and aircraft nose producing sparks to a halt on the runway. The aircraft was evacuated. No injuries are being reported, the aircraft sustained substantial damage.

Full pictures at http://avherald.com/h?article=4b8e1e10&opt=0

Delighted that everyone walked away safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

• Registered Users Posts: 23,519 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭LeakRate

Somehow everyone walked away from this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Off topic but never knew there was an AAIU inspector by the name Howard Hughes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

He was an A330 Captain......Im amazed that helicopter didn't get worse damage.

This month's AAIB bulletin, page 11, deals with a serious incapacitation of the F/O on a FLYBE service to Jersey last August.

The conclusion at the end is as close as you'll probably see to a "well done all round" from the AAIB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

cml387 wrote: »
    This month's AAIB bulletin, page 11, deals with a serious incapacitation of the F/O on a FLYBE service to Jersey last August.

The conclusion at the end is as close as you'll probably see to a "well done all round" from the AAIB.
    Indeed. Poor guy - sounds like it was previously unknown to have a seizure - very troubling. Imagine it happened close to the ground

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Ok so this happened!!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45153535

Airport employee steals a plane and subsequently crashes it. A Q400, so not a small bird!!

The man, who is referred to by what is believed to be his first name, also discusses:

The co-ordinates for the orca carrying her dead calf on her back

Looking at the view and possibly going to look at the Olympic Mountains, in Washington State

If he can do a barrel roll before landing and "calling it a day"

Whether or not Alaska Airlines would give him a job after a successful landing

• Registered Users Posts: 35,726 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://twitter.com/TomPodolec/status/1028171861962698752

That is some flying in all fairness, the boy had skills/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭Shpud2

Crazy that in this day and age a plane can be stolen. Especially a Q400 sized aircraft. That's roughly 80 seats I believe so it's not C172 etc. Must have been a maintenance employee or similar to gain access like that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Fuel was the least of his concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Fuel was the least of his concerns.

I think he could of landed it if he wanted to. I wonder if he planned it as a suicide or just as a crazy idea. He mentioned that he would get life imprisonment. In one way he did us a favour as it showed how easily a plane could be taken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

The lack of info on the beginning of this incident is extraordinary.

Someone starts engines (granted, not unusual)

Plane starts unauthorised taxi. Does Ground see it?

If so what did they do? Was Security notified?

Did the aircraft taxi to the active or use a taxiway? How long did that take?

Was there no time to get a security vehicle in front of it?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

From listening to the ATC (on YouTube) it appears he left a cargo area heading towards the active, and was reported to the tower by another AC (when he lined up on the active), and when the tower confirmed they weren’t talking to him up to that point, the AC that reported it advised tower to contact & scramble military/Air Force

First spotted by another aircraft rather than Ground or Tower?

Link to airport diagram showing Cargo areas:

https://uk.flightaware.com/resources/airport/SEA/APD/AIRPORT+DIAGRAM/pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

https://twitter.com/TomPodolec/status/1028171861962698752

That is some flying in all fairness, the boy had skills/
    those “flying skills” could have taken out another aircraft or a community. nothing to commend about this story except sadness

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Discodog wrote:
    I think he could of landed it if he wanted to.....

He wasn't a pilot was he?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

duskyjoe wrote: »
    those “flying skills” could have taken out another aircraft or a community. nothing to commend about this story except sadness

Without glamourising the incident you have to acknowledge the fact that he got the thing airborne in the first place if he wasn't a pilot.
    It would take more than a passing acquaintance with aircraft to to start the engines on one of these things never mind configure it for take off and actually take it into the air. The short clip of the barrel roll and the aircraft in flight suggests he must have had at least some flight training, if not then you have to acknowledge he certainly did possess some skills...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

On the recording he said he played a load of games, wonder could you gleam enough from FlightSimX to start a Dash 8 from cold?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭Shpud2

ED E wrote: »
    On the recording he said he played a load of games, wonder could you gleam enough from FlightSimX to start a Dash 8 from cold?

Yes. Undoubtedly.

During a press conference yesterday it became known that the baggage handler had

1. pushed back the aircraft with a tug and turned it 180.

2. following which he entered the cockpit,

3. started the engines,

4. taxyed to the active (Centre of 3) runway

5. pushed his way in ahead of another departure

6. and, with smoking tyres, took off.

It seems incredible that none of his colleagues, nor anyone else in the area nor Ground Control noticed anything amiss. Of course, the surprise element was similar to 9/11 which was planned over a long period and goes to prove that you can never have 100% security. The fact remains, though, that, had this been a similar long-term terrorist plan, they would have got away with it.

It will be interesting to see what, if any, preventative measures will arise from this incident which took place at a major airport and not some place like Weston.

• Advertisement

It would be possible for non-pilot who had done extensive pc based flight sim to start the aircraft and take off, but it would need to be an aircraft specific sim.
    I have never done it for real, but I guess I could have successfully started and taken off in a B737 when I used to play Microsoft flight sim with a detailed B737 add on.
    Once in the air though you'd be goosed because of the vast difference between a pc and real life.You would definitely crash.

Advertisement