Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2020 World Snooker Championship

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Scandalous error from Mark Allen, played it like he didn’t care that he’d knock the black in, Clarke the deserved winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Better player, seriously impressive performance. Allen didn't do a lot wrong but knocking that black in there was criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Should have come off the bottom cushion there with touch of side and try hold the white behind the green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Painful to watch Allen not conceding there!

1/12 favourite for this game i believe, was Allen. First big shock. Thought Allen could go deep this year but beaten by the better man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Peter File

Taxi for Allen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Genghis

Fair play Clarke, will be keeping an eye out for him over the rest of the tournament, I like his style and hope he does well.

If he repeats that I'd fancy him to take McGill but i couldn't see any of them beating higgins. Higgins getting the absolutely plum draw this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Well thats my pick to win sent home early.
    Allen really should be comfortably beating someone whos barely hanging on the tour.
    The no crowd curse claims its 2nd big victim

If he repeats that I'd fancy him to take McGill but i couldn't see any of them beating higgins. Higgins getting the absolutely plum draw this year.
    Higgins v Trump would be a great semifinal and looks likely

• Advertisement

Peter File wrote: »
    Higgins v Trump would be a great semifinal and looks likely

Would seem the likely call alright. I know Kyren Wilson always has his fans but he's a bit workmanlike for my liking. Remember when trump and himself used to be a grudge encounter so could be interesting if they do meet. Not sure the w/o actually in Wilsons favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

1/12 favourite for this game i believe, was Allen. First big shock. Thought Allen could go deep this year but beaten by the better man.

Clark was 14-1 in running, 2-0 down. Maguire any chance of a comeback? 8-1 in Ladbrokes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Genghis wrote: »
    Fair play Clarke, will be keeping an eye out for him over the rest of the tournament, I like his style and hope he does well.

Yeah I only caught the last frame. Seems to have both decent safety and potting. Although can be a bit rash like when he lashed the red (for a double I think) when frame was virtually over and nearly went in off.
    Was some great shots in that 48 break he got in the last frame that a mere mortal would not get. Plus he won the 4th frame with three snookers. Definite all round player.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Clark was 14-1 in running, 2-0 down. Maguire any chance of a comeback? 8-1 in Ladbrokes

No. Martin Gould is playing out of his skin. I can see him going deep.

No chance. He was out of sorts and I feared he would smash his cue at one point. No way back.

Dante7 wrote: »
    No. Martin Gould is playing out of his skin. I can see him going deep.

Gould's breaks 57, 103, 77, 103, 100, 83, 103. Seems to like getting 103's. :D

I must have jinxed Maguire thought he could win outright! Glad I did not put my money where my mouth is.

Gould is 38 yo. Eight years since he was in top 16 and slid since. Maybe Maguire can come back a bit and pressure him... I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

amens wrote: »
    Before today I never knew who Dave farrar was. I'm sorry I do now. Isn't Hendry enough for commentary? Often less is more.

He hasn't annoyed me so far but not so much Ted Lowe, I thought it was 'whispering' Bob Harris in the box with Hendry there. He does sound a bit like whispering Bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,905 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

He hasn't annoyed me so far but not so much Ted Lowe, I thought it was 'whispering' Bob Harris in the box with Hendry there. He does sound a bit like whispering Bob.

Yeah, he reminded me of Bob Harris too. Made me feel like looking up some old clips of The Old Grey Whistle Test again.

• Advertisement

Maflin walking out to “Crazy” by Seal? Tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Gould's breaks 57, 103, 77, 103, 100, 83, 103. Seems to like getting 103's. :D

I must have jinxed Maguire thought he could win outright! Glad I did not put my money where my mouth is.

Gould is 38 yo. Eight years since he was in top 16 and slid since. Maybe Maguire can come back a bit and pressure him... I doubt it.

Gould had only made 3 century breaks this season before the world's...has 4 already in this game... Maguire hasn't a hope of coming back...his cueing was poor and was very angry yesterday

Hawkins breaks down inexplicably on 84. Looks like this might be about to scupper the century every match bet. It only failed by one last year and the culprit on that occasion? Why, the hawk of course!

Davis has just declared that Kurt Maflin has the best cue action in the game, interesting...

I fancy Mafflin to beat John Higgins. Think he was close to 3/1 pre match. Higgins is great player but i cant see him reaching another final and Mafflin has a good chance of sending the Wizzard home to Wishaw.

How did Dennis think Mafflin was going to play the brown there when the green was much easier?

• Advertisement

Great frame for maflin to win. Couldn't have foreseen him beating higgins at all but am happy to be pleasantly surprised.

Opening long red for Higgins looked like it might drop but jiggled in the jaws. Whoever operates the applause button was a bit previous pressing it. Might see that happen a few more times before the end of the tournament.

Ref had a smirk on his face afterwards, commentators didn't mention it.

Obscure bloopers aside, they really should be able to come up with a more convincing applause by now. Considering the World is watching and the event has a bit of a free run at it now.

Looked to me like maflin fouled the black in that frame but wasnt called. Not really critical to frame though. Could be a good match if Maflin sustains this for a bit as you'd expect Higgins to come into it at some point.

Opening long red for Higgins looked like it might drop but jiggled in the jaws. Whoever operates the applause button was a bit previous pressing it. Might see that happen a few more times before the end of the tournament.

Ref had a smirk on his face afterwards, commentators didn't mention it.

Obscure bloopers aside, they really should be able to come up with a more convincing applause by now. Considering the World is watching and the event has a bit of a free run at it now.
    Shouldn't bother with it to be honest, applause is for fragile ego luvvies in the theater who need recognition, great red there from Higgins, lack of applause doesn't change that

Come on Kurt... Send the Wuzzard back home tae Wusshaw...

• Advertisement

5-3 Maflin, good session.

Yeah I don’t get all the fuss about the simulated crowd noise, totally unnecessary if you ask me.

I think fans should send in files of them shouting for xyz player.

Camera angles very poor. For a lot of the shots one's guess as to whether the object ball is going to land in the pocket can be only about as good as John Virgo's. I'm putting that down to the times we're living in, with less cameras around, so will just have to suck it up.

But, what's worse; even more annoying than say starting a sentence with a conjunction; in fact far more annoying cos that doesn't bother me at all, and we've seen this sh1t for years; is when a player either misses by a distance, or rattles the jaws when the shot is hit with pace. We then see the camera pan to the player's face to see the look of surprise/annoyance/disappointment, or perhaps even nonchalance. The TV watcher might have to wait upwards of 6-7 seconds to see where all balls have ended up and what damage he might have done. I can't be alone in this. A double whammy can be if the shot is replayed before we get to see the table after all the balls have come to rest.

Camera angles very poor. For a lot of the shots one's guess as to whether the object ball is going to land in the pocket can be only about as good as John Virgo's. I'm putting that down to the times we're living in, with less cameras around, so will just have to suck it up.

But, what's worse; even more annoying than say starting a sentence with a conjunction; in fact far more annoying cos that doesn't bother me at all, and we've seen this sh1t for years; is when a player either misses by a distance, or rattles the jaws when the shot is hit with pace. We then see the camera pan to the player's face to see the look of surprise/annoyance/disappointment, or perhaps even nonchalance. The TV watcher might have to wait upwards of 6-7 seconds to see where all balls have ended up and what damage he might have done. I can't be alone in this. A double whammy can be if the shot is replayed before we get to see the table after all the balls have come to rest.
    ITV had great camera angles for their recent tournament including the excellent full length side angle. BBC are just being lazy.

Both Maguire and Gould playing poor in this first frame. Both missing relatively easy pots and/or running out of position.
    Gould well ahead though and in among the balls. Dominic Dale reckons the new cloth not helping.

8 - 2 Gould. That should be an insurmountable lead.

The cloth is definitely off. Very slow, players not getting desired reaction off cueball after hitting object ball. Maguire just got a massive kick after opening the balls brilliantly from off the brown. Gould in again early on in frame 11.

9 - 2 Gould.

Maguire potted 7 reds + 7 blacks... Possible 147. Tricky red now from baulk

12 reds, 12 blacks - ran out of position

9-3 now to Gould

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,511 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

My bug-bear (seeing as it's minor complaints night) is when the really important part of a shot is what the player does with the white, and the camera controller chooses that shot to show us just an extreme close-up of the object ball going into the pocket.

I find it hard to pick a winner in this Williiams v Bingham match. A real 50/50 for me although Bingham was the 4/6 favourite pre match.

Williams had two very strange missed roll ups, leaving himself snookered in the first case.

Any time the white's travelling at speed, or there's balls moving around is never a good time to zoom in on either the player or the object ball 'wiping it's feet' before it drops, or drops because of gravity/ new cloth etc... Show us the 'big picture' first... Not a minor complaint at all imo.

Bingham misses a black off the spot to lead 3-1 and leaves it hanging over the pocket. Williams pots it to level and wins the frame on a respotted black. 2-2 at the interval.

Bingham left himself a bit high on that black.. It wasn't a 'gimme' - maybe a 87/100 as opposed to the standard 98-99/100 black off spot.
    This match nicely poised.

It wouldn't be the first time a pro missed black off the spot. I'm sure John Parrot missed a few in his time.

May come back to haunt Stuart later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Mark Williams isn’t playing particularly well at the moment, but he’s 4-2 up so I’d say he’s happy with that. He just seems to be starting to get a bit of rhythm

Williams upping his game since Bingham missed that frame winning black. Couple of frame winning breaks sees him win three on the spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭amens

Peter File wrote: »
    ITV had great camera angles for their recent tournament including the excellent full length side angle. BBC are just being lazy.

The camera angles are limited when space is tight with two tables. The one table setup will have side view at times.

• Advertisement

I have no problem whatsoever with any camera angles, replays or fake crowd noise.

Advertisement