Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 World Snooker Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,860 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Maflin unlucky there. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

I missed the finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Just got a warning for his middle finger!

:D:D Go on Tatiana - She gave Maflin an earful there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭taytobreath

She’s right tho to warn him about it....I know it was done in the heat of the moment...I guess it’s the passion....but he needs to reign that **** in lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭poppers

It's after the watershed - he might get away with his gesture :p
    Ref just gave him a telling off after he returned to the arena

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Never thought I’d hear a snooker referee advise a player to “mind your gestures” when interacting with a snooker ball.

I liked how during the 147 attempt the person in control of the simulated crowd noise made the textbook error of applauding when the points total was 100, but the break was only 96.

But was it a mistake, or was he simulating the minority of fans who sometimes make that mistake, we’ll never know...

No fake applause for Maflin's savage hit on the brown - comms were a bit miffed too

Imagine Mafflin just missed out on the 55,000 pound maximum and two minutes later he's docked a frame. I think he'd internally combust and a raised finger would be the least of Tatiana's worries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Never rated Maflin,Never actually seen him at the business end of an event but hes putting on a bit of a show here with 4 tons from his 8 frames won.
    Maybe not having a crowd is working to his advantage

It just goes to show without a crowd how easy it is to forget your playing in a world championship,when u give the que ball the middle finger

Imagine Mafflin just missed out on the 55,000 pound maximum and two minutes later he's docked a frame. I think he'd internally combust and a raised finger would be the least of Tatiana's worries.

Never actually thought about that. I wonder is there certain player conduct which could result in a docked frame. You’d wanna be careful at 8-8.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,860 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Never actually thought about that. I wonder is there certain player conduct which could result in a docked frame. You’d wanna be careful at 8-8.

I think swearing could result in a similar warning.

I'm not sure what merits the docking of a frame but giving the finger to the ball or table or whatever else must be close to crossing that line.

Mafflin is a fairly aggressive player. He's brave and going for everything. Deserves this opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

This is a great game to finish off a day of snooker. I am enjoying listening to Dominic Dale in commentary this evening

I suppose he (Maflin) was very close to the threshold beyond which he's into 'ungentlemanly conduct' territory.
    Perhaps a yellow card, and not a straight red offence. Very vague - will look forward to hearing one of the
    experts' (probably just Jimmy tonight) opinion on it....

Spaceman if you're dyin for the jacks it doesn't matter whether you've won or lost the frame. Needs must. I have to say the Spaceman is a top pundit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

The eurosport guys could just go ask ronnie if he's anywhere around. He's had at least 3 warnings for lewd gestures that i can think of. Decent fine on the way for a start.

• Advertisement

Dave seems like a straight-shooter. I can see here how in this situation some might try to 'goad' their opponent into going off on one in a tense match like this - through slow play or some other tactic(s). Fair pay Dave, I hope he at least gets a decider.

Maflins safety could be his undoing, he so poor at them

Gilbert is struggling

Gilbert is struggling

Had his chance(s). No complaints and Maflin didnt really play one telling safety in that whole exchange.

Listening to Rob Walker on commentary, he's quite decent at it. Better than "Whispering" Dave Farrar anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Delighted Maflins gone through, seems a decent player

Hope he beats Higgins - tall order though. Has the confidence anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I like Mafflin's aggressive style of snooker. No messing about over thinking anything. Not sure about his safety play as only saw last four frames. John Higgins will fancy his chances now. That will be a good game. Crowd or no crowd this tournament feels like it's going to be a belter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

When Maflin gave the finger to the cue ball, as I could think of was this 'In Bruges' quote..

Exciting finish.. especially a nice change after watching Ronnie annihilate earlier.

Advertisement