Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pat Kenny Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

What are you talking about? It's a terrible move for RTE, their advertising revenue for that slot is about to take a beating. It's a lose-lose situation for RTE and win-win for Pat Kenny and the other high earners in RTE. Of course RTE can do without Kenny but their schedule won't be as good without him and they are going to lose a hell of a lot of listeners for that slot.

It also shows that RTE will be under huge pressure to retain the other big stars as the loss of Kenny is huge. This is a terrible loss for RTE IMO.
    while it's not obviously not ideal for RTE, i think if they get someone like Richard Crowley or Seán O'Rourke in there (ie. an older, recognisable broadcaster with plenty of Current Affairs experience), they'll keep a pretty big chunk of listeners. a lot of people just stick to RTE by habit....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 230 ✭✭alphamule

serfboard wrote: »
    In this forum or in general?

In this forum, it's big news because instead of having to gossip about speculation, we can gossip about an actual fact. Now, we can speculate about the knock-on effects and gossip about that. :D

In general, it's big news because it's August ;)

Actually I don't believe that. It's a big change for a "famous" person. That's always going to fill papers, the blogosphere and the twitosphere.

I get ya.

I just find it entirely irrelevant!

This week in science should be front page material not fat head Pat Kenny.

Different strokes and all that I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,810 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Skid X wrote: »
    Interesting. It might be a good time for RTE to review the Ronan Collins slot. It has an audience but it is really just a filler between two big hitters (PK and News at One). Hard to imagine many people switch over to hear Ronan at 12. Maybe they could bring in Cathal Murray to shake it up.

I've been saying it even before the latest bombshell but surely the logical thing to do is to put the current affairs-oriented programme on straight after Morning Ireland, then have Tubridy or whoever doing a 'lite' show between 11 and 1? Maybe the thinking is you need to break up the heavier stuff with short music-led programmes but I think most listeners would prefer it this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

I've been saying it even before the latest bombshell but surely the logical thing to do is to put the current affairs-oriented programme on straight after Morning Ireland, then have Tubridy or whoever doing a 'lite' show between 11 and 1? Maybe the thinking is you need to break up the heavier stuff with short music-led programmes but I think most listeners would prefer it this way.

I know a lot of my family/neighbours enjoy the Ronan Collins show at lunchtime, they tune in especially and enjoy his show after all the news that they listen to. I think the numbers are there for them to keep.

It brings me back to the fact that RTE is not just about the Pale (for the want of a better word).......No offense to anyone, but RTE is a way of life in the life of my relations who can't even get a decent Newstalk signal.....I don't think many of them will switch to NT to follow Pat K as they are set in their ways and that's just the way it is. No one is indispensable. Ronan Collins is very popular with his slot and you can't have news on all the time.

We basically just need new blood in RTE. No nepotism, no relations - just talent. There are young presenters out there, let RTE just do a proper job for once in their life and not employ "in the knows" and do us all a favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,476 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's worth pointing out that anyone with a satellite dish for UK TV can get Newstalk on it.
    An awful lot of people with satellite TV don't realise it does radio as well.

Ideally Newstalk would go onto the Saorview radio channels too, but there's no free space at the moment.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Have to admit I don't get the "lite" stuff at all .

Soon as pats over I switch to newstalk . If I could do the same after that to get another hard news program instead of moncreif / liveline id do that too.

I think the problem lies more with repeating yourself over public demand for it.

TBH podcasts saves me from the lite stuff till Matt cooper comes on .

Maybe I'm an aberation but I don't think I'm the only one that could do without the filler

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭AZTEC818

The Indo reported yesterday that there would be another big name exit from RTE in the near future.

Anyone go an idea who that might be ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,584 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

AZTEC818 wrote: »
    The Indo reported yesterday that there would be another big name exit from RTE in the near future.

Anyone go an idea who that might be ?

Marian possibly. RTE cannot pay her wages anymore. Ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

AZTEC818 wrote: »
    The Indo reported yesterday that there would be another big name exit from RTE in the near future.Anyone go an idea who that might be ?

Noel Curran.. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

Marian possibly. RTE cannot pay her wages anymore. Ridiculous.
    Wind back not too many years ago and removing Pat and Marian would save a million euro from the wage bill! (And yes, I know they're contractors).

Throw in Tubridy as well and you could replace those three people with 30 (good) people from local/community radio. They could go into production and you could bump others up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Larry Gogan is going to die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

mike65 wrote: »
    Larry Gogan is going to die.[/QUOT

who isn't ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭GSF

Larry Gogan is going to die.

who isn't ?

Should we call the Gardai?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Wind back not too many years ago and removing Pat and Marian would save a million euro from the wage bill! (And yes, I know they're contractors).

Throw in Tubridy as well and you could replace those three people with 30 (good) people from local/community radio. They could go into production and you could bump others up.

Sorry but the notion that you could just throw any community radio presenter in to one of the slots occupied by one of RTE's seasoned presenters is just nonsense.

I am in no way trying to justify their ridiculous salaries but they have built up a listnership on the back of their ability. You don't just replace that easily. Personality like it or not, carries weight in the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

It's interesting that we finally get to see a live answer to the whole, "Well if we don't pay higher wages, we can't stay competitive," quandary that RTE have raised over the years. This move could indeed have gigantic implications, but perhaps not in the way people are expecting.

Personally, I don't see them being that affected. Pat will take a small chunk of listeners, no doubt, but RTE are still leading into the slot with the most popular show on Irish radio (if you ignore John Murray, who's not rushing people to switch onto Radio 1 but not forcing them to switch off either). I reckon they could ride this out as long as they don't try anything too drastic, e.g. Miriam. I see they've already officially re-named the show 'Today With Myles Dungan', so I reckon they'll just let that play out for a while and see how it goes.

Pat was successful and well-remunerated for so long in that slot because he could give a grilling without libeling anyone. Myles, or someone equally competent if not spectacular, can do the same. Switching the dial to Newstalk is a bigger switch for Radio 1's older audience than getting used to the guy who fills in for Pat for six weeks a year anyway. Unlike Pat, not all 65 and overs are up for a new challenge. In fact most are fairly set in their ways and not in the mood for change.

What that means is that RTE may get a resounding "No" to the above point that they've been raising themselves for years now. Which means that, all of a sudden, heads are potentially on the chopping block. Do people listen to Liveline for Joe or because it's Liveline, for example? Is Tubridy propping up 2FM's audience with their biggest show during an otherwise impossible time, or is he responsible for the ratings slide? We may finally have some of these questions answered...

Side-note: remember when G Ryan passed and everyone said that Tubridy was the only man who could possibly attempt to fill his boots? Some are hinting that the same could be true here, though not nearly as many as a few years ago. That's because we've seen, and perhaps RTE have learned, that sometimes evolution not revolution is the best way to handle a major setback like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Pat Kenny will bring tones of listeners to Newtalk.
    Tom dunne is an empty vessel who hasn't bothered his arse to become more leraned and informed. Thems the breaks. newstalk should get rid of their other amateurs like Jonathan Healy, chris donohoe amd that clown coleman X2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Aidric wrote: »
    Sorry but the notion that you could just throw any community radio presenter in to one of the slots occupied by one of RTE's seasoned presenters is just nonsense.

I am in no way trying to justify their ridiculous salaries but they have built up a listnership on the back of their ability. You don't just replace that easily. Personality like it or not, carries weight in the media.

I wonder if the ratings for Marian Finucane's show have dropped as a result of her not being there for the past couple of weeks? I doubt they have. In fact, I'd be more inclined to listen to Aine Lawlor or Rachel English instead of Marian, and they would probably command a fraction of the money that Marian is on.

Whatever about Pat Kenny's salary, at least it could be argued that he did plenty of work for his money over the years, what with The Late Late, Primetime, Today with PK, The Frontline etc. but Marian has been freewheeling for years, and her ridiculous salary for presenting a two hour show on two days a week goes to show just how crazy things had gotten at RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Whatever about Pat Kenny's salary, at least it could be argued that he did plenty of work for his money over the years, what with The Late Late, Primetime, Today with PK, The Frontline etc. but Marian has been freewheeling for years, and her ridiculous salary for presenting a two hour show on two days a week goes to show just how crazy things had gotten at RTE.

Couldn't agree more. Finucane's pay for so little airtime is simply scandalous, and yet another reason to do away with the TV licence which helps fund her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

leggo wrote: »
    Side-note: remember when G Ryan passed and everyone said that Tubridy was the only man who could possibly attempt to fill his boots?

I said from the start that Tubridy was possibly the worst replacement or Gerry Ryan... Gerry Ryan was controversial, brave, talk endlessly about his kids and personal life (which the callers could relate to)... Tubridy is cowardly (as an interviewer), conservative, and painfully sidesteps even the most generic questions about his personal life... He was the WORST possible replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Be interesting to see who the other mooted big name is.

Marians a busted flush IMO . It'd be a big story but in reality she's been coasting for years and is seriously out of touch with modern Ireland.

Charlie bird attracted more listeners than she did when she fecked off for 15 weeks on end. Hence her 200k paycut.

Anyone taking her on is looking at a serious financial hit . I could see her going but can't think who'd be mad enough to employ her .

Joe would be massive but considering how shocked he was at pat going I reckon you'd need dynamite to get him out of montrose.

Really can't see who it could be . One of the girls maybe ?

Rachel English or aine lawlor could do good on newstalk to help boost their wimin quota .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

I could cope with Myles Dungan or Rachel English in that spot but to be perfectly honest, I think either PBH or Audrey Carville would be a great replacement for PK.

Also, cut out the music altogether - it distracts form the tone of the show imho and keep it about current affairs & lifestyle and please, for the love of God, NO MLOD!!!! (I just hope Pat does the same over at Newstalk! :D)

washiskin wrote: »
    I could cope with Myles Dungan or Rachel English in that spot but to be perfectly honest, I think either PBH or Audrey Carville would be a great replacement for PK.

Also, cut out the music altogether - it distracts form the tone of the show imho and keep it about current affairs & lifestyle and please, for the love of God, NO MLOD!!!! (I just hope Pat does the same over at Newstalk! :D)

MLOD will be lost without Pat. Myles doesn't fawn over her half as much as Pat did.

If RTE are looking for a like-for-like replacement with a similarly broad range of interests, the best candidate that I can see is Matt Cooper. And of course there would be an 'eye for an eye' element if they snatched him from Communicorp.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭LeakyGee

Kenny was p*ssed with RTE about TV roles and getting 'demoted'

Kenny was p*ssed at the constant scrutiny of his very public salary

Kenny was P*ssed last Christmas on mulled wine

There's my tuppence!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

LeakyGee wrote: »
    Kenny was p*ssed with RTE about TV roles and getting 'demoted'

Kenny was p*ssed at the constant scrutiny of his very public salary

Kenny was P*ssed last Christmas on mulled wine

There's my tuppence!

Not half as pissed as he was at the investments himself and Sean Dunne made together, hence the move to Newstalk for a few dollars more.

Make no mistake, thats why he moved!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Miriam to follow Pat.

Ah no! Keep her mumsying away on RTE radio opposite Pat so I don't need to hear her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Ah no! Keep her mumsying away on RTE radio opposite Pat so I don't need to hear her.

I could be wrong:D

Aidric wrote: »
    It is. Which is why I didn't say it. What I did say was:
    you could replace those three people with 30 (good) people from local/community radio. They could go into production and you could bump others up.
    I also mentioned local radio which you didn't read either. Where do you think RTE get people from? (Rachel English, Marty Morrissey ex Clare FM, Joe Stack, ex Kerry Radio etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

There is inevitably going to be alot of hype, soul searching and finger pointing as a result of Pats move but once the dust settles i think it will show the radio landscape hasnt changed.

Having put in 41 years at RTE Pat felt he was entitled to better treatment than the boffins in montrose were giving him, whether thats true or not I dont know but I think the fact that he chose to part company with them rather than the other way around is alarming. The man is 65 years of age, he's a pensioner much like the rest of rte, in reality he had 4 decades at the tax payers expense, it really should have been rte that should have ended this relationship with a view to the future.

The radio 1 'talent' like much of its audience is ageing, but there is little thought going into the next generation. Gaybo is being a bit hysterical when he says Radio 1 wants to parachute graduates in to RTE, that is utter nonsense, as anyone who knows anything about RTE will tell you its nearly impossible to get into. I have always respected Gaybo but he cant see the wood for the trees in this instance.

Kenny's ego was hurt clearly by the loss of the late late and the frontline. In reality Kenny should never have been given the late late , because the show should have been retired with Gaybo. Instead we had a decade of an uncomfortable cringemaking Pat trying to do light entertainment and essentially just coming across as awkward. In any other country the shepherds crook would have appeared from stage left after one season.

Personally I have always found Pat's inability to fluctuate from political subject matter to lighter stuff as evidence of his deficiencies. I would place Matt Cooper way ahead of Pat when it comes to cornering politicians and on his ability to show tact which Pat never had. Kenny was always efficient yes, but very much soulless yet because he worked for the state broadcaster his audience was always guaranteed. The most fascinating thing for me now is whether he will bring listeners with him. I believe he will bring some, perhaps many, but I do not think he has a hope of increasing Newstalks numbers from the 50k Tom Dunne has to anywhere near the 330k Pat had on radio 1, purely because radio 1 listeners are very much set in their ways, as far as they are concerned RTE is the gospel.

I also dont believe Kenny's move will be a game changer. DOB is clearly funding this move much like he's bankrolling Trapatonni for the FAI, but DOB isnt going to start hiring en masse from montrose. Rte will keep the fuss to a minimum, Miriam will get Pat's slot and once every quarter there will be the inevitable chatter and comparisons made.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Sorry Heybaby, but Pat Kenny is light years ahead of anyone broadcasting in Ireland. He will be a massive loss to RTE. He was always top of he's game when it came to interviewing and drawing information out.

I like Matt cooper but he is not on the same level as Pat.

So much depends on the RTE response, pick the wrong person for a daily two hour slot and NTs job will be that much easier.

Cooper is not as good as Kenny, the former is only genuinely forensic on financial issues, which is hardly a surprise.

So much depends on the RTE response, pick the wrong person for a daily two hour slot and NTs job will be that much easier.

Cooper is not as good as Kenny, the former is only genuinely forensic on financial issues, which is hardly a surprise.

I don't say he's as good but he's the next best thing that I can see (the only other person in the ballpark IMO is the current stand-in) Funny I don't find him particularly tactful, in fact sometimes his line of questioning is needlessly confrontational. Plus I'd say he has a genuine interest in some areas where Pat is only swotting up e.g. when someone from Mad Men or The Wire is being interviewed, Matt is likely to have actually watched the box set, whereas Pat has only read a briefing document from one of his researchers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Sorry Heybaby, but Pat Kenny is light years ahead of anyone broadcasting in Ireland. He will be a massive loss to RTE. He was always top of he's game when it came to interviewing and drawing information out.

I like Matt cooper but he is not on the same level as Pat.

Pat Kenny is a good broadcaster, but he's not that good. Used to make several mistakes and they'd never be corrected. Not saying it was his fault, as a good presenter can be let down by poor research and production. However, when people did try to correct him he'd get ratty.

There are several broadcasters on Local Radio who could make the move up to national with no effort. When listening figures come out in 12 months and there's only a fall of about 10 percent (or less) It'll be obvious that people listen because it's RTE Radio 1 rather than the presenter.

What happens if figures go up???

I don't say he's as good but he's the next best thing that I can see (the only other person in the ballpark IMO is the current stand-in) Funny I don't find him particularly tactful, in fact sometimes his line of questioning is needlessly confrontational. Plus I'd say he has a genuine interest in some areas where Pat is only swotting up e.g. when someone from Mad Men or The Wire is being interviewed, Matt is likely to have actually watched the box set, whereas Pat has only read a briefing document from one of his researchers.

Well that's just popular pap, Pat has no time for such fripperies! Nor do I on a current affairs programme. :)

That's all very true, give me Matt over Pat any day (though I hope Matt doesn't leave Today FM, he's a good match there as he brings the credibility of the current events coverage up while also fitting in with the more relaxed atmosphere at other times). He can cover everything from politics to sport to celeb interviews, tech, TV and movies seamlessly. Matt can relate to everybody on some level, whereas I don't ever think I've even met another person who has reminded me of Pat Kenny. He's one of a kind, which works both for and against him.

Having said that, on budget week there's nothing like Pat laying into a bumbling Finance Minister for a good hour or so.

Well that's just popular pap, Pat has no time for such fripperies! Nor do I on a current affairs programme. :)

But that's just the thing, Today with PK wasn't a straight current affairs show, if the replacement is gonna be, there's probably a dozen people at RTE who could do a decent job. But if you're gonna stick say Miriam O'Callaghan in there and ask her to replicate PK's show, if she doesn't have a genuine interest in at least some of music, movies, sport, tech etc. then the loss of PK is going to be felt. When she's talking to sportspeople on her chat shows, it's ok to focus on the 'human interest' side of things, but I don't think that's cut it for a daily two-hour radio show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭GSF

Much being made of Pat Kenny being 65, but to me he doesn't sound like a pensioner. Gaybo towards the end of his full time career did sound old but Kenny seems to have always sounded middle aged ever since he was on RTE Radio 2 as it was.

That's all very true, give me Matt over Pat any day (though I hope Matt doesn't leave Today FM, he's a good match there as he brings the credibility of the current events coverage up while also fitting in with the more relaxed atmosphere at other times). He can cover everything from politics to sport to celeb interviews, tech, TV and movies seamlessly. Matt can relate to everybody on some level, whereas I don't ever think I've even met another person who has reminded me of Pat Kenny. He's one of a kind, which works both for and against him.

Having said that, on budget week there's nothing like Pat laying into a bumbling Finance Minister for a good hour or so.

I did.

hqdefault.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭theholyghost

It will be interesting to watch this one. I think Kenny deserves to bring some listeners with him but I also wonder about the Radio One mentality! I suspect there are a lot of listeners who dont even know about Newstalk and if they did probably couldn't tune to another station. I think they will need to give him lots of good publicity as he starts.

But what is realistic, assuming listeners migrate from Radio One. If he brings about 50,00 with him and and maintains a listenership of over 100,00 for his slot. Surely that would be a good result?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Pat will to get the grace the same station as the great wolly Parkinson. This probably helped him with his decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Traditional

nice money for talking , that s all he does .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Having listened to him for years, BS on Kenny not being interested in those sort of topics.

Kenny gets a lot of abuse but he is very clued in.

themont85 wrote: »
    Having listened to him for years, BS on Kenny not being interested in those sort of topics.

Kenny gets a lot of abuse but he is very clued in.

Did you ever watch his Jerry Seinfeld (or 'Seinfield') Toy Show interview? Reckon Pat's a big fan of the sitcom? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk1EOcFv3s8

Now I fully accept that Pat generally has his homework done and rarely gets caught out like this. I'm just suggesting Cooper would generally be more of a 'natural' in interviewing this type of guest.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

What date is Pat starting on Newstalk?

• Advertisement

What date is Pat starting on Newstalk?

First Monday in September I believe

2nd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Kenny has a reputation for being wooden for a reason, certainly he is a good broadcaster but after 41 years at the state broadcaster you'd hope so. Matt Cooper is the best in the country for me, in fact if Rte had any cop on they'd replace Kenny with Cooper, but they don't and won't.

Another thing is...would Cooper go if he was offered? Money talks, but he likely wouldn't get offered the salary Pat was on (again an accumulation of 41 years service) and would also probably have to give up doing TV3 sports coverage in the process. And I can't see them replacing Bill O'Herlihy, Michael Lyster or Des Cahill with Matt either, Darragh Maloney has been lined up for the football gig for years now and he'd have to get in line for GAA presenting jobs. He's also shown little love for the national broadcaster in giving extended coverage to the independent broadcasters and grilling Pat Rabbitte on the licence fee distribution.

The reality is, even IF RTÉ saw him as a viable replacement, they probably couldn't pony up an offer good enough to get him. The days of them just hand-picking talent from the commercial sector at will may be over, another significant development highlighted by Pat's departure.

A good long-term strategy now that the high-paid, high-profile broadcaster years are coming to an end would be to use the firepower of the licence fee to develop a strong, young team capable of arming them for years to come. Yet I don't think they have that foresight. Time will tell I guess...

I don't ever think I've even met another person who has reminded me of Pat Kenny.
    Well I haven't met him, but this fella reminds me of Pat Kenny. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement