Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

It means it was probably de plane-ing at or before 130
    Lads just as an information point,I've been through Heathrow 100's of times,I'm no green horn
    Its tight but doable
    No dilly dallying

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Mortelaro wrote: »
    It means it was probably de plane-ing at or before 130
    Lads just as an information point,I've been through Heathrow 100's of times,I'm no green horn
    Its tight but doable
    No dilly dallying

In fairness, you specifically said the bus "easily" make it, but if you've been through LHR that much you'd know never to bet on that.

Another point I'd make: starting off a trip without a massively anxious, fairly unpredictable connection would be worth a lot more than a change fee (if one even exists) to me.

MJohnston wrote: »
    I
    This is often not the case, and iirc, they wait for the rest of the flight to deplane before letting connections passengers depart through the rear exit of the plane.

Just to correct this
    That used happen in the old days of T1

Now you get off at the front,the same as everyone else,turn right at the gate and follow the purple signs for transfers and go down the escalator
    It's a trek to there,maybe 5 to 7 mins

MJohnston wrote: »
    In fairness, you specifically said the bus "easily" make it, but if you've been through LHR that much you'd know never to bet on that.

Another point I'd make: starting off a trip without a massively anxious, fairly unpredictable connection would be worth a lot more than a change fee (if one even exists) to me.

Ah I know,language let me down a bit
    It would easily get you there once it leaves in under 15
    I last did this 2 months ago
    Very important to corner a super at security though flashing the tightly timed boarding pass so as to go to the front of that queue

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

I was in contact with the travel company. It would cost €230 each for us to switch to an earlier flight out of Dublin. Madness. I'm just going to hope for the best and chance it. Thanks for all the information, lads.

• Advertisement

Duff wrote: »
    I was in contact with the travel company. It would cost €230 each for us to switch to an earlier flight out of Dublin. Madness. I'm just going to hope for the best and chance it. Thanks for all the information, lads.

Yeah ,you'll probably be alright but it wont be comfortable until you get to the gate and are on the Virgin plane

What I would do though is get to Dublin airport a couple of hours early,get through security there and go to an aer Lingua Dub Lhr gate
    Ask the people there is there room on an earlier flight and can you be put on it
    Explain how tight it is
    They have done that for me before but that was in the aer Lingus lounge
    I had no EI status at the time but was BA gold,but I dont think that made a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Yeah ,you'll probably be alright but it wont be comfortable until you get to the gate and are on the Virgin plane

What I would do though is get to Dublin airport a couple of hours early,get through security there and go to an aer Lingua Dub Lhr gate
    Ask the people there is there room on an earlier flight and can you be put on it
    Explain how tight it is
    I had no EI status at the time but was BA gold,but I dont think that made a difference

That's a great idea. Worth a shot anyway! Thanks.

EDIT - First time doing a connecting flight, I'm assuming our checked bags are going straight to Las Vegas and we don't need to pick them up again in LHR?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Nope. Bags will be checked to LAS so one less thing to worry about.

Duff wrote: »
    That's a great idea. Worth a shot anyway! Thanks.

EDIT - First time doing a connecting flight, I'm assuming our checked bags are going straight to Las Vegas and we don't need to pick them up again in LHR?
    Yeah your bags will go straight through but on that tight connection might be delayed
    Theres also a chance they will be delayed if you go on an earlier flight as they'll have to be found
    Go to a bag drop desk,not a machine and see if they'll change the flight also for you
    If they cant,try again airside at a lon Dub gate

Not a great start to a holiday ,all that hassle

If your bags are delayed you'll have to report that at Vegas and they will be delivered 2 or 3 days later
    Pack a change in your carry on just in case and anything important put in your carry on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Hey folks due to fly to the U.K. on one of the first flights from Dublin in the morning before the sun comes up. What’s the likelihood of delays or cancellations does anyone reckon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

faceman wrote: »
    Hey folks due to fly to the U.K. on one of the first flights from Dublin in the morning before the sun comes up. What’s the likelihood of delays or cancellations does anyone reckon?

You will be grand the West bears the brunt of this storm and warning does not come into effect until 1pm

• Registered Users Posts: 13,730 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Storm 10 wrote: »
    You will be grand the West bears the brunt of this storm and warning does not come into effect until 1pm

Aye I'd concur with the above, likely little to no impact on Dublin operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Explain how tight it is

Try this but do it at check-in not after. Once you have luggage checked in they won't change your flight by request.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    Try this but do it at check-in not after. Once you have luggage checked in they won't change your flight by request.

Just to add, this method works best if you don't have checked bags at all. Travelling light is the key to any last-minute hops and standbys.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is FRA security always an absolute disaster?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

ED E wrote: »
    Is FRA security always an absolute disaster?

Yeah

Can you check in online for a Flybe flight and do they have a bag drop in Dublin, or do you need to checkin when you’re dropping your bag off? Never used them before.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Can you check in online for a Flybe flight and do they have a bag drop in Dublin, or do you need to checkin when you’re dropping your bag off? Never used them before.

You can check in online. Re the bag drop I havent ever checked a bag with them but I'd imagine theres either a bag drop machine or a desk where you can drop your bag

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I have elderly relatives flying with Luxair from Dublin to Luxembourg on Dec 23rd. I see that Luxair operates from Terminal 1 but I'm wondering if they usually use a distant gate as I'm concerned about very long walking distances from terminal to gate. Any information appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Arriving home Saturday... will those kids be singing in the arrival halls?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭VG31

Comhra wrote: »
    I have elderly relatives flying with Luxair from Dublin to Luxembourg on Dec 23rd. I see that Luxair operates from Terminal 1 but I'm wondering if they usually use a distant gate as I'm concerned about very long walking distances from terminal to gate. Any information appreciated.

They normally use the 200 gates. They're not the shortest walk but they're a lot nearer than the 100 gates. Probably about 5 minutes from security.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Comhrá

VG31 wrote: »
    They normally use the 200 gates. They're not the shortest walk but they're a lot nearer than the 100 gates. Probably about 5 minutes from security.

Thanks!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

NSAman wrote: »
    Arriving home Saturday... will those kids be singing in the arrival halls?

I expect so. Picked up my brother on Wednesday and they were there.
    This weekend will be "Love Actually" levels of homecoming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

It is not the kids that annoy me. It is the TV news people. I don't want to appear on the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Kalyke wrote: »
    I have a 1 hr 40 minute "wait" between an Aer Linghus flight from Dublin and a United Flight to Cleveland in Dulles. Is this too tight or is it doable? Dublin flight arrives at 1535 in Terminal B and the CLE flight takes off from terminal C at 1715.
    I know it as 8 months ago but I had plenty of time. Time for 2 beers as well in fact!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

It is not the kids that annoy me. It is the TV news people. I don't want to appear on the news.

Just tell the newsreader you're coming home not for Christmas, but to get revenge on someone who slighted you. Swear a bit. They'll never use that segment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Tenger wrote: »
    I expect so. Picked up my brother on Wednesday and they were there.
    This weekend will be "Love Actually" levels of homecoming

Was great... not a damned thing in arrivals apart from Mummies and daddies in Santa hats...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Comhra wrote: »

Why don’t your relatives request assistance in advance of their flight?
    It can be done while they or someone is Checking them in online, very simple and easy to arrange.
    I’ve used it quite a number of times when travelling with elderly family members.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

Can anyone tell me what gate area Air Canada normally uses for the Vancouver flight? Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

g0g wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what gate area Air Canada normally uses for the Vancouver flight? Thanks :)

Vancouver flights won't be back until the summer season 2020.

Advertisement