Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Navi Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

I also had a 5700 and had to return it, crazy issues in the games I play. Some games were fine, others had stuttering, freezing, lock-ups.

Got a 2070S instead and smooth sailing since. I want to support AMD, but can't support the 5700 cards right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Homelander wrote: »
    I also had a 5700 and had to return it, crazy issues in the games I play. Some games were fine, others had stuttering, freezing, lock-ups.

Got a 2070S instead and smooth sailing since. I want to support AMD, but can't support the 5700 cards right now.

Did you go from a Nvidia card to the 5700?

No, I had an RX580.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I don't have any issues. Are you stock?

Stock yes. It's fine most of the time. It seems to be the radeon 2020 software that causes most of the issues. Still waiting on an update.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

BloodBath wrote: »
    Seems to be fairly on point if it is 20% faster on average. Especially if it over clocks well which it should do considering the low base clocks.

AMD's main issue is their drivers. I held off getting a 5700 because of driver issues which I assumed would have been sorted by now but no.

Still getting random lock ups with the latest drivers. I hear rolling back to a previous version works but I shouldn't have to and AMD shouldn't be releasing broken ass drivers.

They have the money now to pump into fixing these problems. There's no excuse for it.

I've had a pretty good experience with the 5700 XT thus far, always running the latest driver. All of the games I've played since getting it have ran very well.

Mind you, in the beginning I did get BSODs surfing the net unless I disabled hardware acceleration in the browser which was a pretty bad & unacceptable problem. That's been fixed since 19.10.1 (I think) though.

I have to say I find the Radeon Settings application much better than Geforce Experience, the main advantage being that there's no forced account login rubbish like Nvidia push upon you. The in built montoring of temperatures & framerates/times works well too. I don't believe Geforce Experience has that unless it's changed since.

There are lot's of people that still have issues. Maybe it's particular models of cards and bios issues on those cards causing issues. Some are saying it's version of windows 10 causing the problem too and an optional update fixes their problems.

There's so many variables it's hard to narrow down what is causing it but it is a problem for many still. For me it's the latest radeon software causing crashes. If I keep it disabled I don't get the lock ups. It's a shame because it is great software. Far superior to Nvidias in terms of options and UI. But Nvidias works at least.

AMD even acknowledged they are aware of the issue and are working to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

BloodBath wrote: »
    There are lot's of people that still have issues. Maybe it's particular models of cards and bios issues on those cards causing issues. Some are saying it's version of windows 10 causing the problem too and an optional update fixes their problems.

There's so many variables it's hard to narrow down what is causing it but it is a problem for many still. For me it's the latest radeon software causing crashes. If I keep it disabled I don't get the lock ups. It's a shame because it is great software. Far superior to Nvidias in terms of options and UI. But Nvidias works at least.

AMD even acknowledged they are aware of the issue and are working to fix it.

To be honest I was to lazy to check the old version but the newest Radeon Software in some games just randomly crash. Shame as it leaves bad aftertaste from a great gpu.
    Tomorrow I plan to do a "clean" install of Windows 10, Ill try first older version of AMD software.
    Still I count it as a good purchase. At least i'm happy that i didnt go with Strix version

Edit:
    Just installed Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.1.1. So far so good, BF5 stopped crashing randomly.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I only use recommended drivers in the radeon software for the 5700xt and zero issues so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Kimbot wrote: »
    I only use recommended drivers in the radeon software for the 5700xt and zero issues so far :)

I was curious after it was mentioned here, it seems to be a 5700(and VII) issue where some games, mainly DX9 or older titles, have the card downclocking itself into its desktop mode. Most people can stop it through increasing the stress on the card, mostly by using that resolution scaling thing(where it increases it).

• Advertisement

Kimbot wrote: »

Happy You. Went with clean install of Win, to big mess to clean it by hand.
    I was happy panda only for 30 mins, after that BFV like before crashed the display driver, so now I'm back to a draving board. All the other games which I've tried work fine, just BF have mood swings like a roller coaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭KilOit

Sold my gtx 1080, kinda regretting it but is a 5700xt worth getting. Reason I sold is I had a notion of getting a amd card to go with ryzen cpu. Nvidia has always been great for me, never any issues. Don't think my asus gtx 1080 ever crashed or had any hiccups, reading a lot of reports lately that Amd just doesn't cut it on the gpu level like their cpu's. Am I stupid to sell a perfect gtx1080 for 5700xt? :(

KilOit wrote: »
    Sold my gtx 1080, kinda regretting it but is a 5700xt worth getting. Reason I sold is I had a notion of getting a amd card to go with ryzen cpu. Nvidia has always been great for me, never any issues. Don't think my asus gtx 1080 ever crashed or had any hiccups, reading a lot of reports lately that Amd just doesn't cut it on the gpu level like their cpu's. Am I stupid to sell a perfect gtx1080 for 5700xt? :(

Eh you might be fine, remember on the internet you mostly only hear from people who are having issues OR want to evangelize their purchasing decision :pac:

The RTX 2060 Super / 2070 Super would also provide an uplift over 1080 - however the RX5700XT's strength is that it is 2070-level power for a lower price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Any idea when that might be announced? Won't mean much if their drivers are still ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Anima wrote: »
    Any idea when that might be announced? Won't mean much if their drivers are still ****e.

Their drivers don't effect everyone. I have no such issues but then again I'm not playing many different games. Just a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Yeah true. It's not a roulette wheel I want to be playing after spending 400+ euro though.

OSI wrote: »
    Started off with a positive experience of my 5700 XT but it’s starting to unravel quickly. Frame drops in AAA games are a frequent issue over the last few days, now starting to get the issue of black screen on the start up of some games.

What games are you playing?

An updated driver came out yesterday. Going to try it now.

• Advertisement

Jedi Fallen Order:
    Persistent frame drop, could nearly set your clock to it. Frequent black screen on start up requiring a quit and restart. Just had an issue there where the card just hard downclocked to 90MHz mid game.

Red Dead Redemption:
    Just pure poor performance. That and the well known graphical glitches on AMD.

The Witcher 3:
    Literally get worse performance than my GTX 970s

GTA5:
    Same as above

The Outer Worlds:
    Frequent frame drops. Getting significantly poorer performance than I've seen testers getting in the same game, with same settings and hardware.

I play GTA V regularly at 4k 60Hz and have no issues. I also have the Witcher 3 but haven't played it on PC as I also have it on console. I might fire it up sometime just to see. I don't own the others so I will not be able to see if I have any issues.

I just played the Beginning of The Witcher 3 and got to the first Inn area and galloped around the place watching FPS 50-60Hz at 4k Ultra, Hair works off.

Did a DDU and install of latest drivers. First launch of JFO, card pegged at 100Mhz. Second launch, black screen. Third launch, loaded played at an average of 120FPS but frequent FPS dips. Checked Windows Event Log and it’s a litany of display driver crashes. Card RMA submitted.

Yeap, thats the sad story of 5700. For some works great, for some its a never ending story of driver crash. I'm torn between giving it another round or replace it with 2060s.
    Shame that once again AMD launch something which is on one side like 4 star restautant with cheap chipper service :D

Try installing optional windows 10 updates. I hear for some there is something missing there that causes issues without the update.

I have until the end of the month to RMA. On the fence atm.

Jedi Fallen Order:
    Persistent frame drop, could nearly set your clock to it. Frequent black screen on start up requiring a quit and restart. Just had an issue there where the card just hard downclocked to 90MHz mid game.

Red Dead Redemption:
    Just pure poor performance. That and the well known graphical glitches on AMD.

The Witcher 3:
    Literally get worse performance than my GTX 970s

GTA5:
    Same as above

The Outer Worlds:
    Frequent frame drops. Getting significantly poorer performance than I've seen testers getting in the same game, with same settings and hardware.

RDR2 is very unoptimized in general, look up some guides for that game.

RX 5600 XT reviews are out.

The new 5600 XT looks good. From Gamers Nexus review it performs above the 1660 cards.

Yeah looks good. I wonder is it affected by driver issues though. I know some people act like they are overblown but from someone who had a 5700 and found it a disaster, I would be cautious when it is the same price as the RTX2060. It's a bit faster, but that means little if you're having big issues with some games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Yeah looks good. I wonder is it affected by driver issues though. I know some people act like they are overblown but from someone who had a 5700 and found it a disaster, I would be cautious when it is the same price as the RTX2060. It's a bit faster, but that means little if you're having big issues with some games.

It seems AMD up the specs via a Bios patch at the very last minute and its been a bit of a shambles.

• Advertisement

Looks like I need to roll back the drivers.

There's been 2 more updates since which reintroduced the bugs and driver crashes I was getting before.

It seems to be an issue with the software rather than the driver though as when I disable the radeon 2020 software I don't get the crashes.

Well done AMD. 1 step forward, 2 back.

Advertisement