Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learn to filter!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,962 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Absolute speed doesn't matter, relative speed matters. If you're moving very fast relative to the traffic then there's no time for you (or them) to react to anything unexpected.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

It depends on the road. On a UK motorway with 10ft wide lanes and stationary traffic I'd go up to +30mph, but it's hard work and iffy if the traffic is at a dead stop as there will be a clown that wants to get out. If the traffic is barely moving (but never the less moving), it's a bit easier.

I probably wouldn't bother past the speed limit / + 15/20mph as there are too many grasses with cameras these days.

This wasn't anything unusual for PTWs for the years I was in London...if there was room to duck left of the island arrow you would, but then if there was nothing around, it'd be folly to give up progress and better (providing nothing too near oncoming or crossing) to just get on with it.

https://twitter.com/SuptAndyCox/status/1141649039689228288

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭gonko

I filter up the hard shoulder sometimes. When I do it the right way between lane 2 and 3 on the nifty fifty, your met with people trying to block you etc.

The shoulder is safer most of the time. Couldn't care less what I look like or how I'm percieved. I've 2 little girls and a wife to get home to, safely.
    When I'm in the shoulder I'm only doing 60kph or whatever if the traffic around me is stopped or crawling.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

gonko wrote: »
    I filter up the hard shoulder sometimes. When I do it the right way between lane 2 and 3 on the nifty fifty, your met with people trying to block you etc.

The shoulder is safer most of the time. Couldn't care less what I look like or how I'm percieved. I've 2 little girls and a wife to get home to, safely.
    When I'm in the shoulder I'm only doing 60kph or whatever if the traffic around me is stopped or crawling.

If you are serious about using the hard shoulder then make sure you've left petrol in the car for your wife and two girls to get to the hospital to visit you ! Motorists never expect you in the hard shoulder and you are driving on all the crap that's washed in off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I would say I have almost never had someone try and block me when filtering, a handful at best over the years and i commute daily, 4 seasons, 100k round trip in probably the heaviest traffic in the country. You're asking for a puncture, a ticket or a free spin in an ambulance (not free).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

It's never safer. You're not supposed to be there, so no-one looks there, and no-one expects you to be there if THEY decide to move into it. A dumb move imho.

It'll end in more-than-tears when you meet one of these guys doing it......at about 00:05 in....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Zebbedee

If you absolutely have to use the hard shoulder when the traffic beside you is stationery or crawling I really wouldn't be doing more than 20kmh.
    You've got to be prepared for idiots to swing left on top of you.
    But overall and for your own safety
    for the reasons outlined by others here I'd seriously advise against using it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭markad1

When I'm having a car day on the M50 I always move over to let the bike know I see them and free up some space for an escape route if needed. Always checking left and right for bikes. They should open up a space for bikes on that road so you don't have to filter, it would be safer for everyone.
    A fellow biker having a car day should know not to do anything sudden or unpredictable - when he's looking at you on his left maybe another rider is trying to pass him on his right?

He should know to let you ride your own ride and that you'll only go if you're happy you have room

He should know that the reason you're hanging back could be the truck on your left, or the guy ahead of his car

There's no need for any car driver to do anything other than drive reasonably close to the centre of their lane

Since the Newlands Cross flyover opened I rarely have to do much filtering though. Bus lanes now, that's another story :p

I do find the exaggerated last second swerves out of the way a bit amusing though, it's like they think I need two metres to get by? Or, oh you only saw me now I've been behind you for the last few hundred metres just biding my time :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,912 ✭✭✭✭GBX

markad1 wrote: »
    When I'm having a car day on the M50 I always move over to let the bike know I see them and free up some space for an escape route if needed. Always checking left and right for bikes. They should open up a space for bikes on that road so you don't have to filter, it would be safer for everyone.

In an ideal world - Its already back to full capacity, so they wont/cant do anything. Bikes are in the minority as well. So they wouldnt be too bothered in doing anything to help.

Advertisement