Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learn to filter!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,218 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

the one thing i'd say is to just think over mistakes you make after each ride and try to think what you should have done and try not to make the same mistake twice.

I still do the same thing after every ride.

22 years on bikes.

Never stop learning.

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Was filtering behind some guy on the N4 one time ....from Palmerstown to Liffey valley he stuck the leg out for every vehicle passed ....most ridiculous and amusing thing I've ever seen

It's equivalent to a wave. Very common on the continent.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

One thing that really annoys me is when the council re-paint white centre lines without burning/chipping off the original layer. Over a couple of repaints it becomes a raised lip in the road. Filtering over it is headwrecking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

bladespin wrote: »
    Counted 2 posts :confused:

Get out more......;)
    listermint wrote: »
    Well forget the legality's. You just look a twat going up the hard shoulder.

Enough said.

Maybe in your blinkered view....good enough for the Gardai..good enough for me...nuff said

• Registered Users Posts: 33,780 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Get out more......;)

Maybe in your blinkered view....good enough for the Gardai..good enough for me...nuff said

Its an emergency lane, the Guards have better training than you.

Training never stops,

It appears for some it does....

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Its an emergency lane, the Guards have better training than you
    Not only that, they're responding to an emergency (well, that's the theory) so balance of risks is taken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Its an emergency lane, the Guards have better training than you ..doubt it..;);)

Training never stops,..it does when you pass..;);)

It appears for some it does....

Lumen wrote: »
    Not only that, they're responding to an emergency (well, that's the theory) so balance of risks is taken.

Not always....

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭schaffer

CaptainR wrote: »
    One thing that really annoys me is when the council re-paint white centre lines without burning/chipping off the original layer. Over a couple of repaints it becomes a raised lip in the road. Filtering over it is headwrecking.

Try filtering down the N11 where they have done a bad road join between the lanes... you have to choose one side or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Cienciano wrote: »
    You're doing the right thing. Whatever method you use, do not do it fast, cars will change lanes or move into the hard shoulder, so you will have to prepare to stop.

I don't agree. I was in traffic the other day on the M50 and bikes were filtering between lanes. I didn't feel comfortable doing it because you had so little room each side and cars will change lane with minimal observation. I'm not going to stop commuting till I get training filter! What are these "skill points" you talk of :D

There's plenty of moves that are "illegal" on a bike but if we feel safe doing it, we'll do it. I wouldn't be drawing a line on whats legal to do or not. Obviously you don't get much sympathy if you come off while doing something illegal, and some people will draw the line further than others.

Resurrecting this thread,but in good faith....:)

Interesting video clip from Nottingham,with my observation being just how much room her Majesty's Subjects appear to give to Motorcyclists....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS9ypDoRO-c

I rarely encounter such lengths of well seperated vehicles on the M50...maybe a half dozen before some wild eyed loon spots my approach and deliberately moves to close up access......:(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Resurrecting this thread,but in good faith....:)

Interesting video clip from Nottingham,with my observation being just how much room her Majesty's Subjects appear to give to Motorcyclists....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS9ypDoRO-c

I rarely encounter such lengths of well seperated vehicles on the M50...maybe a half dozen before some wild eyed loon spots my approach and deliberately moves to close up access......:(

The majority on the M4 make room but there is always a few meanies who feel you shouldn't pass them. There are some that dart over way in excess to let you pass and I wonder if they just got a fright or is it a fellow biker having a car day. Either way as odd as it sound I enjoy the filtering parts of my commute. Commuting on a early Sunday morning with no traffic can be monotonous.

A fellow biker having a car day should know not to do anything sudden or unpredictable - when he's looking at you on his left maybe another rider is trying to pass him on his right?

He should know to let you ride your own ride and that you'll only go if you're happy you have room

He should know that the reason you're hanging back could be the truck on your left, or the guy ahead of his car

There's no need for any car driver to do anything other than drive reasonably close to the centre of their lane

Since the Newlands Cross flyover opened I rarely have to do much filtering though. Bus lanes now, that's another story :p

I do find the exaggerated last second swerves out of the way a bit amusing though, it's like they think I need two metres to get by? Or, oh you only saw me now I've been behind you for the last few hundred metres just biding my time :p

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

AlekSmart wrote: »
    before some wild eyed loon spots my approach and deliberately moves to close up access......:(
    but there is always a few meanies who feel you shouldn't pass them.

This doesn't happen on routes into London because mirrors are fair game for those filtering - e.g. if you try to be an arse like that, it doesn't take long before they are "removed". ;)

Due to shift working, I don't have to filter much over here. On the occasions I have filtered from J6 all the way to the M50 between the two outer lanes quicker than others that have used the bus lane. (IMO there's two many breaks / cross-overs in that bus lane to be of any use to save time). On other occasions I'm just to lazy to bother and will wave someone through so I can carry on at my leisure.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭IJS84

Issue I find is that, like this morning you'll always get the 1, you know who they are. the mr/mrs (they dont discrimiate on gender) you shouldnt be able to pass me in my big car, as your going past move the car in your direction to cut you off/make it look like they want to hit you. These are also the same breed that havent splashed out on the ''optional extra indicators''

But when you do get the obliging motorist that gives you a bit more space fpr ya to filter through safely and we all get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I commute daily and honestly find almost all drivers to be either in their own world and unfazed by myself or any other biker or they make an effort to let me by. I seldom see someone try and bully me. The only one that gets my goat is the lane 3 hoggers when lane 1 and 2 are clear who don't seem to want to move despite me clearly looking to overtake.

I find most drivers grand but maybe I didnt explain it properly but there is always 1 lol

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

This lad clearly is quite capable when it comes to filtering but chooses to go in the hard shoulder..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

That is idiotic... terrifying and impressive all at once. Holy ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,780 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You don't be long living driving like that.

And I love the level of concern he had for the fella standing at the side of the road to his right....

I'd be rightly pissed off if I was on one of the bikes tootlling along in the hard shoulder when he did that.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

That is idiotic... terrifying and impressive all at once. Holy ****.

No need to shoulder-check when you're riding that fast - nobody could catch you.

videos like that give me anxiety of something bad happening

• Advertisement

Here's another one of his, go to 10:40

https://youtu.be/twWbejs6fpY?t=640

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

rowanh wrote: »
    This lad clearly is quite capable when it comes to filtering but chooses to go in the hard shoulder..

Good God!

I had to stop watching at 3:08.

My Deau won't do that - as far as I know :pac: . But I often filter where others mightn't but nothing as nuts as the gaps he went through and at those speeds. I expected him to cream a couple of the more sensible bikers.

Can't remember if it was the first video of his, or the second one I posted, but there was a bit when he was filtering through a small gap at something like 90 or 100 MPH and he started honking his horn! As if anyone would have time to hear it and react to it at that speed.

Did anyone else get Performance Bikes magazine in the mid-late 90s? They had a few VHS tapes out, I got one or two of them which were a bit of a laugh, some stunts and a bit of reckless riding etc. but tame stuff indeed compared to this guy!

Just realised - I threw out my (hadn't been plugged in in years) VCR a few months ago, but those tapes are probably still in the attic..!

PB used to be topless-girl-on-bike-free (even then if I wanted to look at the female anatomy there were other magazines available) although I noticed a few years later they'd relented and gone down the cheap 'n' titty tatty route. Not all motorcycles are ridden by adolescent straight males, and if I'm admiring a finely sculpted frame with a pair of large bore cylinders I don't want to be distracted ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Breezin

That psycho needs to be sectioned, as a danger to himself and to others, in this case mostly other bikers.

If he keeps it up and erases himself in a single-vehicle collision, the roads, and the world, will be safer as a result.

Absolute gift to those looking to regulate motorcycling out of existence. And to charge massive insurance premiums.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Zebbedee

That video is well named.
    You're definitely dancing with the devil riding like that.
    You'll come a cropper sooner rather than later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I love wheelies but stopped doing them sometime last year.

Tbh I was getting a little old for them (52) and when my son started biking it was pissing him off when I done them.. He's a stickler for rules and regs and I thought he was just being tightarsed, but then he told me he was really concerned for me.

I was starting to get nervous too, it was time to stop.

But they're great fun too.

Regards filtering, I filter all the time. I won't say I've NEVER used the hard shoulder, I'll use it but very reluctantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

I'd be curious what speed of traffic people are comfortable filtering through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

From gridlock to motorway speed limits and beyond for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

As a commuter in Dublin anything up to about 40km-hr . Over that i'm happy to be moving.

Advertisement