Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-08-2020, 14:33   #1
galtee boy

RTE News Now tv channel & app relaunch

I see RTE have announced that they are going to relaunch both the RTE News Now tv channel and app in September and both will be called RTE News ( dropping the word Now from the title). More live content is to be added apparently. I've always thought there was great potential for RTE News to be properly developed as a news channel. Outside of peak hours, it would be a huge boost for the likes of Saorview if it ran the BBC News channel in between it's own programming.
Advertisement
27-08-2020, 15:13   #2
JDxtra

It really needs a refresh, looking very dated now. I would like to see it bumped up to HD (at least on Saorview).
27-08-2020, 16:03   #3
twinklerunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDxtra View Post
It really needs a refresh, looking very dated now. I would like to see it bumped up to HD (at least on Saorview).
It’s on a terrible epg number on Sky (521). It should be on 503 as there is no sign of the BBC News channel being carried on Sky in Ireland.
27-08-2020, 19:03   #4
lertsnim

I hope those horrible banners are removed and it goes full screen. A boost in resolution would be nice too.
(3) thanks from:
27-08-2020, 19:05   #5
Beechwoodspark

Have to say I like the banners they can often give the headlines at a glance
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
27-08-2020, 19:29   #6
JDxtra

For a service that contains a lot of text information, it needs to be HD to be crisp and readable. Fuzzy-vision SD doesn't cut it in 2020 when nearly everything on YouTube, Netflix etc is HD or 4K.
Thanks from:
27-08-2020, 20:18   #7
icdg

I wouldn’t get hopes up about any major changes - this is a channel which RTE management quite clearly see as being on borrowed time and if you think they’re about to pile investment into it I think disappointment awaits. Suspect a slightly modified logo will be the only change that occurs.
(2) thanks from:
27-08-2020, 22:15   #8
galtee boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDxtra View Post
For a service that contains a lot of text information, it needs to be HD to be crisp and readable. Fuzzy-vision SD doesn't cut it in 2020 when nearly everything on YouTube, Netflix etc is HD or 4K.
Totally agree about text/graphics and HD, but no chance of it going HD on Saorview. I am surprised Sky dont put it out in HD, but isnt there something about Sky not putting a channel in HD unless the source signal/production from the host broadcaster meets their requirements for HD transmission ?
27-08-2020, 22:19   #9
JDxtra

Quote:
Originally Posted by galtee boy View Post
Totally agree about text/graphics and HD, but no chance of it going HD on Saorview. I am surprised Sky dont put it out in HD, but isnt there something about Sky not putting a channel in HD unless the source signal/production from the host broadcaster meets their requirements for HD transmission ?
Correct, they have minimum standards that are to be met for it to be listed in the HD category.
Advertisement
30-08-2020, 07:46   #10
Digifriendly

I live in N. Ireland and watch this channel regularly and enjoy not only news content but other programmes they show from time to time especially documentaries. Agree that it needs to go HD but little chance I'm afraid in present economic climate.
31-08-2020, 00:10   #11
Elmo

Just changed over at mid-night.

On screen graphics remain, slightly different colours. Background image lighter.

Clock and date a bit better.

Logo ... logo? Oh just slap it up there in the corner that’s made to fit the old logo!
Thanks from:
31-08-2020, 01:30   #12
patrickmooney

Oh my. That logo really looks lost up there. Somehow I was expecting more - really shouldn’t have expected anything.
31-08-2020, 07:45   #13
icdg

The app looks a lot nicer, but really only the navigation has changed, content is the same.
31-08-2020, 08:42   #14
lertsnim

That's a wasted opportunity to refresh the look of the channel.
31-08-2020, 09:07   #15
EdmondShiels3

Just checked it now using the player. Have the made the video screen a bit smaller or is that just the player. Looks a bit better but still too much the same.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion